Why do people like grindy vidya?

Attached: 99.png (520x479, 155K)

Because it makes me feel like I worked for the number to increase

its the mainstream sitcom of games
you just turn your brain off and grind, often whilst doing something else at the same time.

Fuck old school runescape
They couldn't just let it stay old school because redditors kept voting for dumb new shit in polls and now we've got runescape 2.5 again

osrs would have died years ago if they didn't start putting new content in you delusional retard

makes you feel worth something, when you see personal progress in such an obvious way, which is related to dopamine inducing behavior

A game will go nowhere if it stayed the same. New players will get bored and it will slowly die. It gets its own content than rs3 so if anything, it's doing fine.

Go play nostalgia private servers if you don't want change.

No one was ever against the evolution of the game. The problem came with the complete change in vision and lack of touch from RS2 to RS3. This was where the idea of "old school" came from.
EoC was just forcing a different game into another game, nothing to do with the game getting better.

based retard

>set goal
>achieve goal
>happy
>repeat

Sense of accomplishment.

The things people get most excited about in OSRS are methods for skilling where you have to pay the least amount of attention to the game. People don't really like actively playing it at all.

I treat OSRS as a very good incremental game.

Kill yourself

It's amazing as an idle mobile game. Except I got sucked into the autism realm after I did Dragon Slayer 2 and got one of the best money making methods in the game

would you consider ranking and improving in an online competitive game a grind?
there are moments in a game when my ego vanishes and the game's future possibilities appear in my mind's eye all at once like a dozen daydreams weaved together
and with profound clarity i watch myself play as if i were a third party patiently waiting for it to complete itself
when you chase ghosts like that even 200,000 matches is not enough and you may question your sanity and wonder why you're playing

>Guts then asks Godot to know the reason he became a blacksmith, and Godot replies that it's simply the family business, having been taught to smith since birth. He has a particular fondness for the sparks that appear when he strikes the hot metal.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 13K)

It blows my mind that the gaming industry has successfully brainwashed a large portion of the community to think grinding is a good thing.
Progression that’s meaningful and at a steady pace is fine but grinding, especially RNG based grinding, is implemented ONLY as a way to keep you coming back, subscribed, buying microtransactions, etc.

progression is genuinely rewarding. osrs is too grindy for me but i do wish more games had a little more impactful progression where i feel like i personally achieved something instead of just being handed free shit.

this game really goes way too far fucking overboard. Trying to get the kourend teleport, need to find a book for a guy. To find the book i need to find other books for random npcs first, takes like an hour at least of walking around being a librarian for a fucking teleport. no damn reason it needs to take longer than talk to this guy.

Autism.

is there any part of runescape that comes down to skill and not just having enough levels or health items? never tried pvp but i imagine that has to have at least a little bit of skill involved right?

People think differently when they have to pay for video games.

even the "hard shit" so far, zulrah, jad, vorkath, etc, has been just stand here and pray this, stand there and pray that. doesnt seem like its going to change much, but maybe raids are different

endgame bosses require a degree of skill, less so than rs3 because osrs doesn't have abilities but it mostly amounts to using specific weapons or spells during a phase or moving away from certain attacks or prayer flicking.

artificial accomplishment

PVP is definetely about skill
Problem is the "skill" comes from clicking your HUD faster than the other guy learning some meta tick counter in which the game is based on. Practically, every bit of skill involved that isn't related to gear, is an exploit. Which obviously is mandatory. So it's like another form of skill. Most people don't even care about PVP for that reason, it conceptually sounds like a bunch of autismos trying to find flaws in the game's design

Everything is artificial accomplishment. None of this "matters"

runescape I always liked because I sold gold. Even when I was in primary school kids would give me like a dollar for 15k (which was insanely high, and we were all retarded kids so whatever) I eventually got a bunch of skills to 99, and started selling runs through jad to get people fire cape. I still do that for inferno but most people don't bother now. A lot of my money now is from staking. I'm not one of those rich "lemme just chuck 4b on a match" fuckers, but I've got a 'complete' bank. AKA scythe, rapier, tbow, all the valuable drops you'd really want for endgame running, plus about 800m gold at any given point. I stake 15-20m at a time, and never sell to a point that would put me below 500m, and jagex has literally never even put a check onto my account for rwt. Maybe cause I've been a subscriber for the last like 15 years straight without a single stoppage, maybe cause I do it well and don't just dump thousands of dollars worth of gold onto the market at a random point.

The grind is soothing to my autism. It's like the antithesis to modern action games where everything lasts like maybe a half hour if you're lucky, then it all gets wiped away. I like the consistent progression.

People that like grinding are walking zombies. They have no/limited ambition in life. They don't have many real skills and are cowards who can't face real life, cuddling themselves in the predictability of grinding.

They spend time in repetitive, long skill activities like grinding to fill their time, keep them busy and distracted from their horrible life and give them a sense of (false) achievement.

getting 99 woodcutting doesn't advance your career or bring in revenue

and people who like sport games are retards

autism

It's engineered to keep you there.

Pings and dings signaling success are doled out generously at first, to let you build up a dependance from them, and new aspects of the game are unlocked relatively fast to keep you interested.
Then, the pace slows down.
By the time all enjoyment has gone, you don't even notice. You just perceive every level up as "fun", even though it's not, it's just marginally less painful than the boring 20-hour grind you've had to endure to earn that moment of feeling like you weren't bored anymore. And that little burst is what kickstarts your next session, hopefully for long enough that, by the time extreme boredom kicks in again, the chunk of work you've already put in will prevent you from stopping, due to the sunk cost fallacy that has taken control of your brain.
On a wider scope, those same chains of sunk cost will prevent you from leaving harder and harder the less fun you're having.

Attached: 1477286534640.jpg (1920x1200, 127K)

Advancing your career and bringing in revenue doesn't exempt you from suffering and death.

reddit squad out in force today lol enjoy warding fagets

It's primarily lonely people.

I agree %100.

warding is kill

>play runescape
>get to level 50/60 or so in a skill
>get bored and stop
I don't understand people, am I just some sort of anomaly or what? I don't know anyone who's had this "sunk cost fallacy" shit or has felt addicted. People get bored and quit for a few months, come back a few months later, make a little bit more progress and that's it.

>%100
I'll take this post as proof

Attached: 1532601263260.jpg (508x508, 14K)

Yeah I had level 80 account but just quit one day because it wasn't fun anymore and realized it was a waste of time

Make a counterargument, fucktard