I don't understand, why do people shit on this game so much now...

I don't understand, why do people shit on this game so much now? It seems like normalfags & journalists for the last decade at least consider this arguably the most overrated game ever. Sure it's certainely not a top 10 game, but it's still a really solid game. Why does it recieve so much hate but other iconic 3D games from it's Era don't?

Attached: Final Fantasy VII.jpg (800x685, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/e5iWHk3nwyU
youtu.be/enaONxpj3U0
youtu.be/L6NbsIXrZaE
youtube.com/watch?v=d15qmRzn2Pc
youtube.com/watch?v=9wM1hvu6IM4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because people are talking about it again thanks to the remake. That said -
>now
Contrarians have been taking shits on the game since it came out, it's not new.

Because it's popular
It's cool to be a contrarian little faggot and people like to pretend like they didn't enjoy it or genuinely weren't born when it came out so that's where the hate comes from
Very few people who actually played it hate it

Because they didn't play it

Because of the horrible fanbase, it's a good game but FF7 fags refuse to accept any opinions on the game that acknowledge it as anything other than the best RPG ever. Even when people considered FF6 the best in the series ever since it first came out, FF7 was always the most popular one because more people played it & never played FF6. Now that everyone played FF6 due to SNES emulation, people have completely turned on this game because of how much more popular it is

Because it kind of IS amongst the most overrated games ever? Just like you said, not a top 10 game, but considering how often people DO put it as a "greatest game ever made", it's only natural that people classify it as "overrated".
Also,
>other iconic 3D games from it's Era don't?
That is a lie. OoT is often target of similar flak, and GoldenEye, another very popular game from the same era, is basically dethroned at this point.

SINCE I WASNT AROUND AND I WAS BIRTHED AFTER THE GAME AND IT IS PRAISED BEFORE MY TIME MAKES IT OVERATED AND I REALLY MISUNDERSTAND THE IMPACT OF THIS GAME IN VIDEOS GAME HISTORY.

THIS OOT IS THE ATTITUDE ERA OF VIDEO GAMES.

youtu.be/e5iWHk3nwyU

Let's not pretend that's even remotely true, FF6 was nothing before FF7 contrarianism and it has been so overhyped by contrarians for the last decade people are already turning on it too

They played it after they had memories in 2004

youtu.be/enaONxpj3U0

Because VIII was superior, my chicken-wuss.

The game was too tier game when released.

After decades of copy cats with improvements on the system, the re-releases don't stand up. It hasn't helped they've released meh story spinoffs that didn't look, play, or feel like the original material.

this shit pulls in brand new players every year despite them being completely against this kind of game, it got something right that nothing else has, even kids get hype about the fucking snowboarding

Graphics aged poorly, that’s it.

I played over a billion games and I’m yet to see a protagonist as with a better story than Cloud.

Except it was you fucking retard, this was literally from November 1997. FF7 was never considered the best game in the series at any time, it was the most popular entry but people who played both always acknowledged FF6 as the best.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-08 EGM Top 100.png (823x814, 68K)

>Random screencap from god-knows-who Nintentard magazine from the US proves anything

Ok...?

Because it's a safe target. Stars a white man.

>Madden NFL 98 is better than FFVII

Playing through it right now on PC. Just got to the Gold Saucer and Yuffie but so far so good. Mechanics haven't aged well, but no major complaints.
I prefer VIII

> Nintendo magazine
Nice cope, are you gonna tell me that Final Fantasy X was a Nintendo game in 2001?

Attached: Cope.jpg (400x519, 71K)

Says the person who remembers things 2004 and played them retroactively

barret not a bitch though and he the main three, cloud a bitch even if he is the main three, what your point

During the 90s Final Fantasy VI was considered the best RPG ever

I remember when best game ever polls all boiled down to FFVII and OoT. Not talking about GameFAQs, it was everywhere.

FFVI hipsterism is a recent phenomenon.

Nobody gave a fuck black or white in the 90s

You wanna see how much shit is different from now to then?

youtu.be/L6NbsIXrZaE

hell, I feel like that was just four or five years ago

No i don't think so 2004 poster

>It seems like normalfags & journalists for the last decade at least consider this arguably the most overrated game ever.
Because it is
>Sure it's certainely not a top 10 game
So you agree with them. It was treated as a top ten if not number 1 game the decade before, hence why everyone calls it overrated now

If everyone calls a game overrated, it's not overrated anymore.

>been on internet discussion boards since late 90s
>people always hated FF7 routinely with FF6 always being what was commonly thought as the objectively best FF
>gamefaq polls (kids) always voted Cloud high
>kids grow older and invade Yea Forums to the point that people unironically stating FF7 is just the best without question slowly becomes common post-2013/2014 on Yea Forums as the retards that would have stayed on social media continue to come here because of name recognition

Seethe more it literally was, FF7 was more popular among normalfags & Journalists always preferred FF6

Absolutely disgusting taste
Not even a final fantasyfag

i really enjoyed ff6 but i think ff7 is more fun to burn through, i do prefer gameplay over story though and the endgame materia combinations are a lot of fun

>FF7 is just a rewritten xenogears script using the same base elements but for babies
It's shit.

Xenogears is a pretentious pile of shit with retarded plot twists and revelations every two cutscenes.

>hurr I’m secretly your father
>hurr I’m secretly a spy for an evil empire
>hurr I’m secretly a zombie
>hurr we secretly abduct people and eat their flesh

FFVII only had one plot twist and it was kino as fuck

then ff7 is the biggest piece of shit possible and not the "best" anything

i did just say i enjoyed the gameplay over the story though, the links to xenogears is irrelevant, all jrpg's have a trash story except mother 3 anyway who you kidding

One good plot twist >>>>>> 1000 absolutely pantsu on head retarded plot twists every 5 seconds

>I don't understand, why do people shit on this game so much now?
Contrarianism.
>It seems like normalfags & journalists for the last decade at least consider this arguably the most overrated game ever.
Normies and journos are retarded.
>Sure it's certainely not a top 10 game
It is, you're also retarded.
>Why does it recieve so much hate but other iconic 3D games from it's Era don't?
Because it was on the PS1 instead of the N64.

>capeshit is easy to understand for my baby-sized brain

>having only one plot twist makes your story capeshit
What the fuck are you smoking?

>why would you compare baby-tier story with baby-tier genre?!

don't respond to shit bait

>why do people shit on this game so much now?
Cuz they probably never played it, or touched it once and never looked back.

The game was fucking amazing. I'd like to see a remaster that ditches the cutesy low-poly models for sprites.

>Contrarianism
>FF7R encouraging ADHD zoomers to come out of the woodwork to complain about the turn-based combat of the original
>FF6 fans that can't accept that people like 7 more
>People that thought Aeris was best girl
Take your pick

t. FF6 contrarian

>It is, you're also retarded.

No it isn't. The translation is shit, even by 1997 standards, the gameplay isn't anything to write home about, and it's a pretty forgettable game if you put aside the "WOW GRAPHIXXXXXXX!!!!" aspect of it in 1997.

This, i remember the GameFaqs polls.They would have over 100,000 people voting on them, yet the top 10s always stayed the exact same.
> 2002: Link > Mario > Sephiroth > Crono > Samus > Cloud > Snake > Scorpion > Jill > Mega Man
> 2003: Cloud > Sephiroth > Link > Mega Man > Snake > Mario > Samus > Sonic > Crono > Vercetti
> 2004: FF7 > C.Trigger > OOT > Melee > SMB3 > StarCraft > ALTTP > FF6 > FFX > WW > Zelda NES
> 2004: Link > Cloud > Samus > Mega-Man > Mario > Sephiroth > Snake > Sonic > Crono > Mario
> 2005: Link > Sephiroth > Mario > Cloud > Crono > Mega-Man > Snake > Sonic > Samus > V.Valentine
> 2006: Zelda > FF > Mario > MGS > RE > Smash > KH > Metroid > SF > Mega Man > Castlevania

>FF6 is the common, non-contrarian choice
Small brain on steroids.

I think most of it is just normal fags trying to be controversial or not understanding that you gonna acknowledge flaws in something and still consider it to be great.

I played FFVII when I was 12, I cried when Aeris died. I cried when RedXIII grandpa died. I love this game. I get a little misty eyed anytime I hear the opening soundtrack play.

That being said... the story is a FUCKING trash fire hot mess.

The game itself is full of weird inconsistencies and sizing etc, it is fully patched together.

It has a lot of problems.

That being said, it was groundbreaking. It fucking blew peoples minds. It's praise is well deserved. It did so many thing right, that most people happily ignored all of the flaws.

So I think because no one ever talked about the flaws in FFVII it became an easy way to seem like you really understand games because look at all these mistakes I found in this game everyone said was the best thing ever!

That being said: FF6 has a more polished and cohesive story. It is a very consistent game, it fucking had to be. It was a late era SNES game. By that point Square was really fucking good at pushing bits on the SNES. (though obviously not nearly as good as they were when they made Chrono Trigger)

FFVII is a masterpiece in breaking ground and new technology. It was amazing and groundbreaking at setting mood and emotion in ways that games previously did not. So even if the whole thing did not always come together, the individual parts were masterful. And the first disc (Midgar scenes etc... HAUL ASS! Shit was a fucking good story.)

That being said FFIX is the clearly the best FF because it has frog monster with a big tongue who eats motherfuckers.

> 859 Million Dollar Game vs 1.3 Billion Dollar Game
> Implying liking one game more makes you a Contrarian
This is like arguing about Infinity War vs Endgame

Oh, right, it has been over 20 years huh?

OK kiddies, back when this game came out it was possibly the first console RPG advertised on TV in the US. This made it the most popular console RPG in the US for a long time. FF7-obsessed fans everywhere, all over fanfiction sites and fanart sites, always some fucker named Sephiroth or Cloud in multiplayer games. RPG fans who been playing the games before FF7 came out began to get butthurt at how much attention FF7 got when many RPGs were out before then that offered much more. DQ/DW games offered a tighter JRPG experience, FF5 was superior in mechanics, and stuff like Ultima 5/6, M&M 4+5 and 6, and Wizardry 6/7 were considered superior to a console RPG that effectively shoves the gamer onto a rail and offers no reason to actually explore.

Hell, the early days off Yea Forums it was considered good fun to rile up hardcore FF7 fags by pointing out plotholes.

> PC games being relevant outside Doom, StarCraft & Half-Life in the 90s
Wrong

Because its shit.
You loved it because you were a kid who would play anything put in front of you.
This is the first time a lot of adults are playing it now and without the nostalgia goggles they're realising how shit it is

This, FF6 has been praised as the 2nd best RPG (behind Chrono Trigger) for so long & FF7's repuation in contrast has freefalled so much that it's actually contrarian to think FF7 is the best game in the series now

It's overrated like The Beatles are overrated. Still a fun fucking game to play but it has a tendency to shut down conversations sometimes.

Attached: 1564868976780.png (1119x1536, 1.41M)

Pre-7 = Patrician
7+ = normie
Hating any of them = contrarian incel

I played FF7 when I was 7 and understood that Cloud was fucking gay and Aeris, being the worst character, deserved to be removed from the game via death.

>back when this game came out it was possibly the first console RPG advertised on TV in the US
No, as the best FF that has actually stood the test of time, had one before it.
youtube.com/watch?v=d15qmRzn2Pc

Secret of Mana had one in 1993.
youtube.com/watch?v=9wM1hvu6IM4

>played FFVII when I was 12, I cried when Aeris died.
you sound like a sissy fag. i was 10 when I played it and I literally never used aeris and didn't give a fuck that she died.

FFVII without a doubt has the most charismatic cast in any video game

In every popularity poll you see a bunch of FFVII characters: Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa, Aeris, Zack, Vincent, etc.

Meanwhile the only FFVI character that shows up is Kefka.

Chrono Trigger has Crono, who is a blank slate, and that’s it.

How did FFVII manage to have so many memorable and likable side characters? Even the Turks have more charisma than the entirety of the Xenogears cast combined.

>reddit spacing
>mass appeal anime trope archetypes good

Attached: c6fd96_6811216.png (1400x1400, 57K)

probably cause you had not learned to jerk off to anime yet.

>too dumb to understand that they're actually the opposite of the archetypes

>muh most stereotypical shounenshit anime characters are original
Can't remember the last time anyone mentioned anything about FF7's story in any way, let alone anything positive.

yeah I sure love that part in shonen anime where the masoct character is revealed to be an old businessman who is spying on the main characters

It was the start of the decline of videogames. SNES JRPGs were, generally speaking, relatively weak on the gameplay front but survived on the novelty of being immersed in a fantasy world. Instead of using the large jump from SNES to Playstation to significantly develop the world and gameplay, and how they intertwine, further, the direction they took was to make it more cinematic instead of anything else.
Every time you see Ellie, from The Last of Us, mentioned as a great game character despite her complete nonexistence within what little game The Last of Us has and sole existence within a series of movies that happen to be included and sold on the same blu-ray disc, remember that Final Fantasy 7 is the game when that started to happen.
When someone laughs at the suggestion of a Tetris piece as a great game character, remember that because of FF7 they literally think videogames are just a subgenre of b-movies where you press buttons during the action scenes.
The idea of a game character being characterized by gameplay, and not scripted faggotry, has become utterly alien.
Note how the only gameplay upgrades that the Remake will likely have is the real time combat. This is because, of course, it once again just needs to be more flashier and cinematic. And because, even on an enthusiast forum like Yea Forums, Devil May Cry kiddies and the like who think gameplay means combat are the majority of the remaining holdouts against movie games and they will eat up the oppression of the player, minimaps, objective markers, cutscenes and non-interest in developing deeper, dynamic game worlds as long as Square Enix can muster a mediocre combat system.
If you can view it as a merely stagnant sequel to FF6 (still an overrated low gameplay mess) and forgive the stagnation while also ignoring its impact, then you might enjoy it.
Cloud Strife and every other FF7 character will never be as memorable or as well developed as the line piece from Gameboy Tetris.

see my post
I would argue, any day of the week, that Tetris (basic Gameboy version) has a more charismatic and memorable cast of videogame characters than FF7.
I'm being sincere.
Videogame characters are defined by the gameplay not some shitty scripted dialogue playing in the background or by cutscenes showing sad backstories.
Think back to all the great saves that the line piece has given you; the regret at a lack of flat ground when you get a box; the feeling of getting a T when a T-spin possibility is open.
To extend the argument past Tetris, Sephiroth is utterly annihilated as a videogame villain by the blue shell from Mario Kart.

>Sephiroth is utterly annihilated as a videogame villain by the blue shell from Mario Kart.

it's not contrarian to shit on this game. it's simply honest. to love this game and defend it so rigorously is nostalgia-blinding delusion. it was my first final fantasy when I was a kid. I understand. but it just doesn't hold up. that's not to say it isn't good. it is good. but it's extremely overrated. sorry. cope.

see:

Name a single unique or memorable aspect to Sephiroth as a VIDEOGAME character. He looks cool and One Winged Angel is great but that is only tangentially related to his existence as a game character. They are only part of how the actual videogame is transferred to the human mind via light and sound. The equivalent in film would be praising the villain in JC's Avatar as a great villain because of the 3D effect in his scenes or the even the quality of the chairs in the theatre (audio visuals are the body of film while in videogames they are the medium of transfer).
The Blue Shell lacks an audio cue beyond a simple warning sound and impact sound and I've never even seen anyone even mention its visual design. However, the Blue Shell is infamous and hated as a villain due entirely to its existence and characterization within the gameplay itself. Sephiroth is a near non-entity in gameplay other than the generic final boss fight which just presents him as a generic strong final boss with a few forms and relies on non-gameplay tricks (music, long movie tier attack animations and weirdo Tetsuo transformation) rather than gameplay without even something as basic as what the Ultros fight does.

>but people who played both always acknowledged FF6 as the best.

Attached: pepefroggie.jpg (800x450, 40K)

No it wasn't zoom zoom, 4 or FF2US was considered the best, FF game on the nintendo consoles, until 7 came out. Journalists only claim 6 is better because "muh pixel graphics" when it's pretty much the only thing holding the game up

Man, FF6drones and FF9drones are at it again, we get it, you got shit taste and refuse to accept anyone having a different opinion than yours, much like Antifa

I've been playing it for the first time lately and while I'm not big on the gameplay, everything else like the story, atmosphere, and environments are excellent.
That being said I'm up to the final boss and you gotta be fucking kidding me with this retarded attack that goes through the entire solar system and takes forever. Fuck that garbage, it doesnt even feel worth my time to finish the game because of that shit.

guy who was chill until he figured out he was actually just the spawn of a sexy catastrophe alien, then lost his shit and went batshit on the planet, original enough

>That being said: FF6 has a more polished and cohesive story. It is a very consistent game, it fucking had to be.
In what universe? FF6 has some of the worst writing in the entire series. FF6 is a game that clearly wants players to be invested in the story, yet it never bothers to give any of the characters a real emotional stake in that story. Terra, ostensibly the protagonist, spends almost the entire game in a fugue state and going 'what's going on? aw, my amnesia, aw, my head'. At one point, Banon, the rebel leader, even asks her if she wants to help the rebellion. You can in fact answer no to this question, and if you do it repeatedly, the game actually accepts this answer. Guess what? The game completely ignores your answer and just continues with Terra helping the rebels. How on earth did they go with this script? FF6 is a story where the protagonist literally does not give a shit, so why should the player?

All of the characters ring completely hollow. Cyan is introduced, and within minutes his kingdom and family is poisoned to death, and, minutes later he's cracking jokes about being an old geezer who's clumsy with Magitek mech, and we are supposed to take him seriously as a character and emphatize with him. Edgar, a literal king, joins the rebels, yet there's not a single line of dialogue in the game where he expresses any doubt or hesitation or other human emotion about abandoning the safety of his station. All of the characters are complete caricatures and it's impossible to take the story seriously as a result.

For all its flaws, FF7 clearly has much more thought was put into its story and characters.

Attached: 1j9ywu.jpg (400x369, 77K)

>That being said, it was groundbreaking. It fucking blew peoples minds. It's praise is well deserved.
What ground did FF7 break according to you?

This

If they were to do a FF7 HD update/remaster (exact same game with fixed cameras like Capcom did with RE1) then everyone would say FF7 is fucking awesome

Attached: maxresdefault (33).jpg (1280x720, 101K)

SOULLESS vs SOUL

>Name a single unique or memorable aspect to Sephiroth as a VIDEOGAME character
>as a VIDEOGAME character
>guy who was chill until he figured out he was actually just the spawn of a sexy catastrophe alien, then lost his shit and went batshit on the planet, original enough
Now explain how any of those events, in the movie that happened to be sold and stored on the same disc as FF7, are represented as enough UNIQUE and MEMORABLE gameplay elements to make him a great VIDEOGAME villain.