I don't know if the reasoning can be quantified...

I don't know if the reasoning can be quantified, but I always preferred the regular shotgun in Doom over the double-barreled shotgun because I perceive it to be faster and more accurate. But is that true? The spread with the double makes it ineffective at times, it seems.

Attached: Weapons-Doom-Shotgun-h.jpg (725x379, 43K)

On the subject of shotguns and Doom, the Doom 3 shotgun is often praised -called a melee weapon, endearingly- yet it seems so weak, its spread too diffuse, unreliable. I sometimes find it satisfying, but it always disappoints.

What are your thoughts on these two shotgun subjects?

Attached: Shotgun3.png (747x423, 379K)

>I perceive it to be faster and more accurate. But is that true?
Same for me empirically. It takes much more shots from SSG to kill something that's not a few metres away.

Same.

its better used for sniping since its pretty much does full damage regardless of distance

super shotty is for clearing crowds of mobs and being ammo efficient on larger HP enemies

i only ever used the SS on bigass monsters that were close to me, i always felt like it was mediocre at any sort of distance

I always suspected as much.
Knowing this, I think I can understand my frustration with the shotgun from Doom 3. Since the shotgun in Doom and Doom 2 were just so reliable and powerful, Doom 3s solution is just such a bastardization and not fit for sniping or clearing... gah.

the entire point of doom's arsenal is that each weapon fits a specific role and purpose

based, every weapon in doom is perfect even if the BFG isnt fun to use

>pistol

It's good for far away targets

Completely true. Normal shotty has a tighter spread and a faster rate of fire (except in DOOM 64 where the SSG is just an upgrade).

Upclose the SSG rivals the rocket launcher (minus splash), and at someone longer rangers its much more efficient for clearing groups

Attached: doomssg.gif (400x366, 567K)

fuck this map sucks

tapping with the minigun is just as accurate with a faster fire rate

Doom 3 was my first FPS and I knew even back then that the shotgun was fucking ass. Whether or not it would one-shot an Imp at close range was extremely iffy and it sounded like a pillow fight. I remember back then there was a 'birdshot' mod for it which I was really excited about-- it made a ton of blood and tons of bullet decals, but it reduced the damage so you couldn't one-shot Imps any more. Fucking useless.

No it isn't. It doesn't shoot straight.

Fuck no that map is rad as hell

The SSG is 'supposed' to be a melee weapon, that's the entire mystique of it. Sprinting into an enemy, blasting away, and sprinting equally fast away while you reload and dodge counter-attacks, that's mama's milk, baby.

Attached: 12ga.png (1300x838, 1.78M)

Try SSG in Q2 with Quad.

>I perceive it to be faster and more accurate.
It is. The standard shotgun doesn't have vertical spread like the SSG and it fires faster. If you're in a room with a bunch of Imps/Zombies/Shotgun Guys that are spread apart and/or far away, the standard shotgun is the better option in terms of efficiency.

>Doom 3 was my first FPS
ZOINKS!

normal shotty is a more agile weapon against things like imps and soldiers, yes.

Against a lot of enemies at close range or a few tankier enemies (see: literally anything above a heavy chaingunner,) you want the double barrel.

What of it? It was 15 years ago.

Before 2004 I was mostly into strategy games.

I get it's a joke, but can a person even fire that more than once?

Quake 2 sucks

SP is, yeah, but MP was fun with friends.

Yes. Reducing the barrel length reduces both the power of the fired rounds, as well as the felt recoil.

This particular shotgun actually has 'no' barrel. It's cut off exactly at the chamber, which is designed for 3'' shells. 3.5'' ultra-magnum shells are 'chambered' in that pic.

DOOM 3's shotty is the one of the worst shotguns I've ever used in vidya.

>Reducing the barrel length reduces both the power of the fired rounds
No
>as well as the felt recoil
Also no

Why would you go on the internet to tell lies?

Attached: 1528579446474.jpg (634x754, 23K)

The longer the barrel, the higher the velocity. Obviously. The lower the velocity, the lower the recoil. Obviously.