Why did we need to invent a new word just to describe a "genre" that only covers Cave Story and Hollow Knight?

Why did we need to invent a new word just to describe a "genre" that only covers Cave Story and Hollow Knight?

Attached: cave_story_dude_icon_by_doctor_cool.png (320x340, 2K)

inditroidvania

Cave Story isn't particularly comparable to the Metroid series, there's only 2-3 branching paths or upgrades

>also you can't invent new words or phrases unless you're English lol :) that's illegal

Attached: 1564126961378.png (557x533, 300K)

understucker

>Jet Set Willy release date: 1984
>Metroid release date: 1986

This genre should be called Willyvania. I like how it was stolen from us by Americans.

Attached: 1550452456588.png (3072x1360, 85K)

>Willyvania
>not Jetroid

>Hollow Knight
What? HK is a proper metroidvania. If it's not, then only metroid clones like Axiom Verge and Castlevania clones like Bloodstained can be considered metroidvania, and that's bullshit.

Hollow Knight is a Metroid-like, not a Metroidvania.

have we really reached this point

Attached: 1457820685701.png (420x420, 94K)

It's clearly a metroidvania. What bullshit line are you making that separates it from the rest of the genre?

>Metroid-like
What? wtf a metroid-like is even supposed to mean? What is the difference between etroidvania and metroid-like?

I get the whole roguelike and roguelite, because rogue is a very specific game and having only some of it's features and not all, like turn based combat, make it a roguelite instead of a roguelike.
But metroidvania is already a genere with just a couple of must-have features, like interconnected world and ability based exploration for backtracks and blocked paths. HK have both of them, so it's a fucking metroidvania, either if you like it or not.

Also
>melee focused
>metroid-like
bullshit

What is this so called word?

Noting, he's just a contrarian that whant some (you)

Video games

Uneducated people make uneducated decisions.

Its comparable in the action, while the adventure is different. Each area is a hub rather than a corridor.

Metroid is not comparable to Castlevania and yet people keep keep toting that dumbass term "Metroidvania" because of Symphony of the Night which ripped off Metroid's "corridor" style room transition instead of being similar to Simon's Quest, Link's Adventure, or Faxanadu.

Most "Metroidvanias" are actually Megaman clones. The more fast-paced ones being Megaman X clones.

Games like Jet Set Willy and Castle Quest are Puzzle-Platformers, not Action-Adventure.

No, it's a Dark Souls-like

>Most "Metroidvanias" are actually Megaman clones. The more fast-paced ones being Megaman X clones.
Youre just lying or you have only played garbage metroidvanias

>Most "Metroidvanias" are actually Megaman clones. The more fast-paced ones being Megaman X clones.

Attached: 1552406833028.png (618x618, 647K)

t. Character Action Game and Multiplayer Online Battle Arena enthusiast

Seething
Seething
"Character Action" is a retarded redundancy. Action already covers that.
Most "Metroidvanias" are Action-Adventure games. Some are Action-Platformers with pseudo-adventure elements, but are mostly linear with some backtracking elements (like Megaman).

There's absolute no fucking reason to claim any game except Symphony of the Night or equivalent Koji Igarashi game is a "Metroidvania".

Nice map. Can't believe a 1984 game had such perverted themes.

>Most “Metroidvanias” are actually Megaman clones. The more fast-paced ones being Megaman X clones.
oh I am laffin

Through your gritted teeth.

I believe the term is "soulsborne"

>There's absolute no fucking reason to claim any game except Symphony of the Night or equivalent Koji Igarashi game is a "Metroidvania".
except there is a reason.
metroidvania are not simple action-adventures or action-platform, they have an "open world" map with areas being locked behing character progression abilities.
this is a specific trait of the metroidvania games, so all metroidvania are action-paltform/adventures, but all action-paltform/adventures are not metoridvania
the name metroidvania exist to differenciate those games of this subgenere from all the games of the main genere

If the name metroidvania become widely used and accepted is because a specific name was required for those king of games, or else the name metroidvania would have been rapidly forgot years ago.

Except there's not because because metroidvanias are absolutely simple action-adventure games and you're a deluded moron for thinking otherwise.
Action-platformers are more akin to SMB or Megeman.
Going through an area and collecting (optional) things and killing the (mandatory) boss to acquire a powerup is a MEGAMAN thing.
Symphony of the Night is the EXCEPTION (barely). Not the rule. Because all it does is borrow from every fucking popular action-adventure game.

Stop making up retarded terms because you're a fucking snowflake.

>avoiding the whole "open world" and ability blocked areas of my argument
>keep repeating the same thing that i prove him theyre wrong

>"but bro, youre wrong even if i have no reason to prove that so i just avoid addressing your points"

The fuck is a HollowStory?