Wii U in 2019

So why did it fail?

Attached: Wii_U_Console_and_Gamepad.png (2900x1400, 950K)

because it was a piece of shit

It wasn't the PS4

It was called Wii U

my mom thought it was an add-on for the wii.

Really bad name. Should have been called Super Wii, or Super Wii Entertainment System.

No one knew what it was. The only difference now is nintendo has been confirmed faking the switch sale numbers and its really closer to about 2 million. Don't look up sources they have been all removed but trust me.

Unironically I trust this guy

Because the Switch came out and replaced it. I don't know why I would play my Wii-u in 2019.

>wii u is 7 years old

Attached: 1548439563410.jpg (900x900, 112K)

they put "wii" in the name and didn't run a super bowl commercial. that's the only reason it didn't have switch-level success.

It tried to capitilize on the Wii brand, which failed because most people who bought the Wii were retarded normies and boomers who got it because it was a fad. They thought the Wii U was a tablet add on.
That being said, the Wii U was a genuinely good console with lots of potential that it didn't quite live up to. Asymmetrical multiplayer was a solid concept and it's a shame more games didn't utilize it.

source: dude trust me

Nintendo thought they could bottle lightning twice. Ultimately their massive ego got the best of them.

I trust you, user. Fuck Nintendo

It's also the most comfy Virtual Console machine to ever grace this Earth

The name was stupid, the console was underpowered, typical Nintendo, and the Gamepad felt so cheap compared to any tablet / phone even at the time, it felt like utter garbage technology from a bygone era the moment it came out. I had a few good times playing Metroid Fusion / Super on the gamepad, but ultimately in the entire lifespan of the console, I used it to play older games because nothing good ever, ever released for this piece of shit. I remember on launch it couldn't even get consistent framerate on any multiplat that the fucking 360 and PS3 could easily play. It was a complete joke. I only dust it off to play the Metroid Prime trilogy once in a while, which is a Wii game, and I still have to use this stupid ass gamepad to launch the game before throwing it back into the closet where it belongs.

Yes, I mad, I bought this shit expecting there would be a Metroid game on it, or literally anything at all worth buying over it's life span other than Mario 3D world which was fun for one playthrough. Holy shit I can't even stand to look at the stupid ass gamepad without cringing, and thinking, "I bought this"

Attached: professional retard.png (600x620, 516K)

Literally had the worse name ever.
They could’ve called it the Famicom 2 or hell just Dillion
Anything was better than WiiU
Hell Wii 60% would’ve been better

Oh SWES?
I thought you said Weast

Attached: 0F3D1657-4CA7-4105-B34C-1F9AD639980A.jpg (1280x720, 44K)

>The name
>The games
>The specs
>Bad launch
>Poor marketing
>Every third party washed their hands, in the most spectacularly dickish way in Ubisoft and EA's case

I read the entirety of Stone Ocean and Steel Ball Run on the gamepad, it was pretty sweet for reading manga on. Also watched a fair amount of anime on it when my PC broke.

What’s a good price for a Wii U?

I’m just mad fucking no one decided to make DnD digital for WiiU
It was literally a match made in Heaven yet no one went for it.
Faggots

0 $

Wii 2 Electric Boogaloo. Microsoft and Nintendo didn't get the memo after 2012, in that people are sick of gimmicky shit. Wonder why Sony never had the need to change the Dualshock after twenty years? It's because it worked.

$0.00

Because it couldn't even do it's own concept well. People wanted a console that you could take on the go anywhere, not a controller with a 480p screen that could barely play games outside the house.

There is a legit reason the Switch is a success and the Wii U is a forgotten trash fire.

Wii U had a lot of potential, it's a shame devs aren't willing to innovate anymore. Barely any games used the gamepad properly.
Maybe some day there will be some sort of homebrew scene.

Any reasonable price you can get it for. A tablet controller which was never sold separately means it'll be a collector's goldmine. All the good games were first party exclusives which don't go down in price either. Also, easy to hack if you don't care about any of that.

Attached: B002I0J51U.01.lg[1].jpg (331x550, 34K)

>People wanted a console that you could take on the go anywhere
nintendo already had that with the 3ds. the gamepad was supposed to take the type of games that people made for the ds line and bring them to a home console, while also opening up possibilities for other things like asymmetric multiplayer and off-tv play.
unfortunately, nintendo put less than the bare minimum effort into marketing the wii u or making use of its features themselves, so we never got the home console etrian odyssey, home console twewy 2, etc. that we should have had.

>outlived both Kinect and Wii
Nothing personal, kid.

I wouldn't say fail
for a very long time it had the best library of the consoles. I'd say its exclusives are still better than Xbones and just a little worse than PS4

Terrible name and not enough use of the gamepad outside of games like Wind Waker HD

The branding wasn't very good. They tried to ride off the legacy of the Wii while not distinguishing it from the Wii very well. There wasn't a system selling launch title like with the Wii and Switch. The gamepad wasn't as strong of a gimmick as motion controls were, and it was extremely underutilized. Unlike the Wii, third party support fizzled out extremely fast. Remember when it was announced at E3 and they listed all of these companies they'd partner with but none of them stuck around? Also a majority of the first party titles were just fucking Mario games and a lot of other series just got mainline titles on the 3DS. Nintendo dropped the ball all around on the Wii Tuu.

Nintendo advertised the gamepad as a console of its own when they teased that it was gonna have games made only for it.
If they had sold at least 10M units more, we could have had special editions and more shit for it

Nintendo has been dead since 2006. The only wii u games i enjyoed were mario kart 8, wonderful 101, captain toad, and uh...dk64 on virtual console? lol. I look at the switch and see the exact same games. Its crazy how fucking STUPID people are, the consoles are the same thing but one has more aggressive marketing and the normies eat it up. Ill never understand

>bragging your glorified movie remote gets use
Not surprising what with the lack of games.

they named it wii u, and people thought it was an attachment or an accessory, IE they thought the pad was just a new controller. This is objectively what market tests showed, and the direct reasoning to it's failure.

I think it also had a shitty lineup of mediocre games until very late in it's life when nobody really bought new ones.

It had design docs leaked leading to emulation VERY early in it's life, and was cracked open with cfw early as well. It just couldn't win. It was like the PSP. A whole host of issues.

>Outlived the Wii
Uhm sorry sweety, the wii never died.

Attached: just_dance_2020_wii_cover.jpg (708x1000, 280K)

Super Wii or Wii 2 would have gotten the point across better

>Wii had just come out
>minimal hardware improvement
>controller was awkward to use
>the hand held screen was shit and a bad gimmick
I dont like the switch either, but at least it's a functional system by itself which is a nice benefit. The Wii U screen felt pointless and forced.

Well, yes, the Wii U had some gems when it came to the game library, but in terms of sales the thing tanked.

Wii U had its R&D well under way when iPhone didn’t even have an App Store and Android didn’t even exist. The DS second screen was what influenced the tablet concept. They got the deal with ATI/AMD for the GPU in 2009 and the hardware was basically done before the iPad came out. But supposedly they downgraded the hardware to fit in the same size case as Wii and they had a lot of problems with the tablet streaming. It could have came out in 2011 but would have had no games.

When it did come out in 2012, smartphones and tablets were well-established and naturally the controller was compared to them and it wasn’t very favorable. It was outdated on release. People thought it was a Wii accessory. Third party ports looked and ran worse than PS360 versions. The UI was very slow (especially the launch version). The low lag streaming was impressive despite the standard def screen but nothing really made good use of asymmetric gaming and game streaming was widespread a year later.

If it came out in late 2010 with the rumored 2x better GPU, a slightly bigger case, no gamepad, and the same or lower price (of the lesser sku) branded as an HD Wii, it probably would have been successful

We've been through this.
> really bad marketing, some people didn't even know it existed
>absolutely horrible, unoriginal and forgetable name
>shitty, clunky controller
>slight upgrade to the wii u
>mediocre games
>low life span
>bad virtual console with very low library
>expensive games on the virtual console and in general
>couldn't hold up to the other consoles or pc in the same generation graphic-wise
>Barely functional netcode
All in all, recipe for failure.

Attached: wii u.jpg (840x630, 53K)

*slight upgrade to wii

>Wii had just come out
What the fuck? The Wii launched in 2006, what the fuck are you talking about?

>slight upgrade to the Wii
No, a slight upgrade 3DS to N3DS

It was trying to court the hardcore and the casual crowd and neither bought it. Anyone hardcore most likely had a ps3 or xbox 360 already so The performance of the wii u bring on par with something we had had for 6 years at its release would have been a waste of money. the casuals only thought it was a tablet add on and skipped it. I ended up buying one a few years back to satisfy my monster hunter and Xenoblade X itch but it collects dust for the most part now .

Attached: 15653134292235108095706975206253.jpg (4032x2268, 2.04M)

OP here, do you think I should sell my Wii U off and get a Switch? Or just sell it get something else.

I'm still hanging onto mine. FUCK SAKE WHEN IS THE SWITCH GETTING THE MAINLINE ZELDA LIBRARY?!

Why would you willingly photograph and then post this fucking mess?

It's not that bad (not the poster)

>see Wii U at e3 trailer
>holy fuck this looks awesome
>my friend buys one
>we have a blast playing Smash and Mario 3d world
>It's still kinda pricey so I don't buy one
>they close down the miiverse and announce they are working on the switch
>I finally buy one after the switch is released and have lots of fun with smash, 3d world and DKCTF2

Why didn't you fags like it? I guess it could have used some more games but the miiverse, nintendoland and 3d world were amazing and I loved the idea of having a map on your tablet or access to items quickly like on the DS but bigger. I really don't understand all this hate because it seemed pretty sweet when it was released in my opinion.

It would have sold so much better if it was called Wii 2, I swear to god.
>3d world
Patrician, best Mario game.