Are there any good JRPGs that aren’t extremely long and tedious?

Are there any good JRPGs that aren’t extremely long and tedious?

Attached: 7832D8AB-72D7-4727-A846-30474A273DC9.jpg (700x613, 184K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=miGtgXuuBMc
youtube.com/watch?v=cqkbrDxewtI
youtube.com/watch?v=QParXLOouVo
youtube.com/watch?v=h84SWybh4Hw
youtube.com/watch?v=btmSuNcxiIU
youtube.com/watch?v=w6Vc2yc8JXc
coolrom.com.au/
romhustler.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=XHGcklCB-c4
youtube.com/watch?v=PvS0k8VIIhg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slime_(Dragon_Quest)
youtu.be/f0jJ2u2rk3k
youtube.com/watch?v=vN96gkXOWZc
youtu.be/emG4bNjhf-o
youtu.be/o7KSTl54aCk
youtu.be/HBsR3-wg1yg?list=PL1FD355C00F10FEF8&t=204
youtu.be/2RzQxFdQhHg?t=865
youtu.be/noJXIpkNMqU?list=PLPWm_qxX45QP5jOlY9TnsJbNOUB7X71go&t=194
youtu.be/p-L3UC-RO5Q?list=PLGQbDEZOLe8HMknGcRS_e1C9izMlCBkAk
youtu.be/XTIGvFuoc2I?list=PLGQbDEZOLe8HMknGcRS_e1C9izMlCBkAk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You posted it, asshole.

The appeal of the whole genre is grinding and watching numbers go up.

thats disgay

Other ones then

FF6

Define extremely long

Are there any good JRPGs that ARE extremely long and tedious?

>not wanting a JRPG to be long

Why not play some 10 hour action game then?

JRPG is unironically the shittiest genre. And sadly I always return for my next fix of 4 hours of mindless grinding and leveling. Fuck me. Fuck JRPGs.

Pic related.
The Tales of series.

Attached: Chrono_Trigger_cover.jpg (857x600, 522K)

Kusoki

>EIGHTY HOUR LONG VISUAL NOVEL SPLIT BETWEEN THREE DISCS OVER THREE YEARS

The post game of almost any NIS game.

DQ7

Sometimes a short, simple, well executed, laid back game is nice.

Some action rpgs like Ys and Parasite Eve, otherwise no drop that shitty genre.

I never understand what's so "awesome" about Dragon Quest.

>The stories are all cliched and uninspiring
>The music suck ass
>The characters are all unoriginal and forgettable
>Many of the monsters look like little kiddie drawings
>And the setting is absolutely boring and nothing special

And yet, they got tons of popularity worldwide for no damn reason. Meanwhile, great JRPGs like The World Ends With You and Crono Cross all get ignored due to total shit like Dragon Quest.

It's comfy.
that's literally it.

die, chrono cross fag

So does Earthbound, but at least that game was enjoyable and entertaining. Which is something DQ does not have.

It was supposed to be Chrono Trigger but I messed it up.

Doesn't matter though, I'll choose that over any of the shitty DQ games anytime.

>great JRPGs like The World Ends With You
>The World Ends With You

Attached: Shadow tired of your shit.jpg (255x294, 25K)

>CT
>ignored
IN WHAT FUCKING WORLD?
TWEWY gets ignored for obvious reasons, it's came out on the DS has a bizarre needlessly complicated combat system and a very specific style. You can't expect experimental games without mass appeal to be big, and yet STILL it was one of the more popular DS games of its time.

DQ is honest about what it is and what it wants to be and it doesn't aim for anything else.

None of that pretentious FF shit about defeating literal fucking GODS and saving the universe or having 10 useless gimmicks. What DQ offers is consistency. You know exactly what you are getting. They're just comfy and innocent games.

OP probably thinks anything over 100 hours is extremely long

Attached: 469860.jpg (181x160, 5K)

I do enjoy simplicity from time to time, but mostly what draws me is that they are usually content kino
reason why I wasn't too fond of DQXI

>The World Ends With You.
Come the fuck on dude.

Play Phantasy Star IV. The story moves at a breakneck pace, you could beat in about 10-15 hours but 20-30 is more the course.

The endgame for any disgaea series

You can knock out ffv pretty quick and levels barely matter unless you're doing something silly like 4 berserkers

Suikoden I and II

A lot of people like it. That's been true for 33 years. Which is why they've made 11 of them and two spinoff series.
>Monsters look like little kiddie drawings
The lead character designer is literally the creator of Dragonball Z.
>For no damn reason
You can not like it, but your dislike doesn't make it objectively bad. I know you think you're the only man of culture in a world of sheep, but the reality is that your tastes are niche, even among JRPG players, while Dragon Quest appeals to a large audience. Seethe more.

>>The stories are all cliched and uninspiring

You're literally retarded if you think that.

cope and dilate, fag.

That was the point I was making, JRPGs that do have original concepts get ignored for being different compared to the norm. People just don't want to look beyond what's popular and into the great gems like them.

The reason I bring Chrono Trigger because I was trying to make an example of how great games back in the past are often overlooked. The reason you see talk about CT these days was because they're usually coming from long-time fans who have the fortune to find and play the game.

>And yet, they got tons of popularity worldwide for no damn reason
this is somehow the most wrong thing in your entire shitty post

DQ is still "who what" tier in the West and it's taking a fucking Smash Bros announcement to even try turn that around.

What are you talking about, CT gets new fans all the time because its considered an all time classic, anyone with even the slightest interest in older games will hear about it immediately. DQ still gets new games and is still not even that well known outside of Japan, and unlike CT it shaped the entire genre along with inspiring other popular series like Pokemon.

All of the best and most classic JRPG's are all short compared to modern ones. Like half as short. Your typical Shin Megami Tensei game is twice as long as Final Fantasy 6 or 7. I'm convinced the genre has become NEET only, since they are the ones that defend garbage like Yakuza 0.

it's technically an RPG

Attached: sotn.jpg (314x317, 22K)

FF:
youtube.com/watch?v=miGtgXuuBMc

DQ:
youtube.com/watch?v=cqkbrDxewtI

I'll just let these two footages sink to your head and I'll wait for your response.

Treasure hunter G which I played last year is like 10 hours.

TWEWY has tons of originality and not only that, it was unforgettable, edgy, and fucking awesome. Yes, it's definitely worth playing than that pile of shit that is Dragon Quest.

to be fair you need a high iq to appreciate DQ
it's boring on purpose unlike most jrpgs which make the mistake of being too entertaining, therefore it's the best

>Blah blah blah the story takes place in a medieval Europe
>Blah blah blah the hero was chosen to fight a bad guy
>Blah blah blah he meets a mage, a thief, and some other class that been seen in RPGs a million fucking times
>Blah blah blah he slayed a dragon
>Blah blah blah he defeated villainous lord and saved the kingdom

Yeahhhhh I'm such a retard... (sarcasm)

youtube.com/watch?v=QParXLOouVo

If I have an high IQ, I'll rather play JRPG games like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=h84SWybh4Hw

A regular Romancing SaGa 2 run will last you ~50 hours if you're a newcomer, and it's a consistently engaging and challenging game. Strange Journey is also 60ish hours and good.

I'm fucking laughing my ass off at your post and I don't even like DQ mate. Fucking casuals I swear.

Why can the main character sprite have a transparency while the castle sprites can't?

Attached: 1458853705076.jpg (736x724, 50K)

That's a good question.

>FFXV footage

nice Holding O

grandia 2

>implying TWEWY isn’t great
I think the guy shitting on DQ is a retard but come the fuck on.

Fuck off retard both those boring games suck compared to dragon quest.

You're not gonna get me riled up if you're that bad at trolling user.

Play kemco games

I would say Radiant Historia. It's only about 20 hours or so if you don't care about side stuff. Soul Nomad is the least grindy of all the Nippon Icchi titles that I've played besides Rhapsody (which is Persona 2 tier easy i.e. you can just auto attack through most of it). The Mother games don't actually require grinding except one short part in Mother 1.

Super Mario RPG - the created JRPG ever created. Makes paper shitters seethe when you point this out

Also, Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden

>RS2
>Bad

Attached: 1560420184781.jpg (682x548, 33K)

You can blast through TWEWY in just about 20 hours depending on how you play and the battle system is fun as fuck.
These are also great choices.

Yes you are, retard user.

BALDER

Just do us all a favor and dont share your shitty opinions
romancing saga is LAME since the battles are whatever and it doesn't have cool characters and monsters and isn't memorable or comfy like dragon quest... it's long and tedious which is exactly what op DOESN'T want

Paper Mario is better than SMRPG in pretty much every way. SMRPG has a god awful isometric perspective and bad controls that makes the half of the game not in battle a chore. Also badges offer way more customization and play styles than anything SMRPG has to offer. The only thing SMRPG has going for it is well hidden secrets but that's not really enough.

Go on, please, I'm entertained.

Bad attempt at falseflagging.

sadly even a bad attempt at falseflagging is enough to convince Yea Forums these days

More than likely to help them pop out from the map and be easier to see.

Why thank you, there's a reason why FF is superior compared to DQ.

Oh, come on, nobody believed them.

>it shaped the entire genre
You're talking about FF.

Out of all the games you could’ve posted, you picked goddamn XV. Fucking why?

Attached: bait.png (343x531, 12K)

That was sarcasm dumbass.

Why does a cliched story sound so goddamn awesome anyways?

Nobody actually likes FFXV. You got tricked into thinking we did by one very persistent shitposter named XV-kun and various contrarians looking for (you)'s

>FF
>Superior to anything

breath of fire 2 on snes is the longest most grindy jrpg I have ever played in my life. prepare to grind each character up like 7 or 8 levels before every boss fight, NO EXCEPTIONS. YOU WILL GET RAPED

>extremely long and tedious?
panzer dragoon saga can be 100% completed in less than 20 hours in a casual playthrough. It's a game that doesn't waste your time.

Attached: atolm.webm (480x358, 2.84M)

that's a RPG?

I thought it more along the lines of Sin and Pnushment

The castle isn't a sprite, it's part of the background. There's only one background layer on the NES.

the first two are 3D shooters, Saga is not.

huh, you learn something new every day

Persona 5.
I’m like 130 hours in and haven’t even begun the final dungeon

Depends what you mean by extremely long. We'll call 30+ hours extremely long, so keep it around or under 30.
>Paper Mario/TTYD (10-15 hours each)
>Chrono Trigger (20-25 hours)
>Early Dragon Quest (1 and 2 are ~10 ish total, 3-6 are 20-25 but have a lot of side content that make it longer if you want to do that stuff)
>The World Ends With You (not turn based, 10-20 hours, varies a lot on how you play since the experience is very customizable)
>Final Fantasy 1 (15-20 hours, rest of the series is long as fuck)

The singer for the ending song of Panzer Dragoon Saga also sang the vocal medley tracks in the 2011 anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
youtube.com/watch?v=btmSuNcxiIU
youtube.com/watch?v=w6Vc2yc8JXc

>in the 2011 anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Man it has been long

During the development of Panzer Dragoon Saga 4 members of staff died, the team feeling they were cursed felt they had to disband. The director left and Team Andromeda dissolved back into Sega, many staff members joining Smilebit and Sega Sports. Panzer Dragoon Saga was Sega's most expensive game until Shenmue, making it the most expensive game ever made until Shenmue.

Fantasy or mystic chronicles
Justice chronicles (sequel)
Fernz gate
Unlucky hero or unlucky mage
Asdivine cross
Legna tacia

Ys

Neat

Also, I did not care for the Madoka anime and dropped it like 2 episodes in.

Half Minute Hero is sort of a gimmicky pseudo JRPG in short busts but it's pretty good.

Would you count rpg maker games as JRPGS since they follow the general fomula?

OFF is pretty interesting and brief, if you haven't played it.

Funny, I loved XI for its comfy content, especially post game stuff.

Is this bait?

Jade Cocoon is like 6 hours long, and that's if you take your time

TWEWY was alright but it definitely is over rated by people.

most of the Mario RPGs, they also have active battle mechanics so fighting shit isn't just mashing a over and over

I was comparing of how superior the setting and characters FF series are compared to DQ.

You gotta be the most idiotic person to hate on an amazing game like FF 15 especially the realistic graphics, the emotional plot (even though the story wasn't all that good compared to the previous titles), the open world setting, and even the rememberable characters. That's definitely a game worth playing than something that looks like it's made and written for fucking kindergartners due to the cliched story and cartoonish graphics.

Persona 3

>The stories are all cliched and uninspiring
Some are fairly unique actually, but regardless the really interesting stuff usually comes from seeing every town in the world, and solving the varied problems in each one. That's part of the big appeal.
>The music suck ass
You've got shit taste, DQ has some of the best video game music there is.
>The characters are all unoriginal and forgettable
They've all got their own personalities and quirks to them, and are very memorable. You'd have to have amnesia to actually be able to forget about anyone of the main cast in these games.
>Many of the monsters look like little kiddie drawings
The cartoonish designs for monsters is a huge part of DQ's appeal, you'd have to be a fag to hate on these guys. Also the general cartoony look of most monsters makes the more serious designs look way more imposing.
>And the setting is absolutely boring and nothing special
Medieval setting is the best setting.

>the open world setting

the empty as fuck open world

Mother 3. Enemies on-screen, engaging mechanics in fights, no grinding, unique locations/almost no backtracking, and a messed up story for a Nintendo game. It's pretty good.

Attached: 3971485_0.jpg (630x630, 36K)

I think the worst part of this era of reddit trolling is that we can all be aware that you’re trolling, point it out, and try to have fun with it, but you’ll only respond with the same soulless unfunny bait because you don’t know how to reply in a creative way. It’s so boring compared to the golden years of trolling. Your job could be done by AI

Yes user we get it, you have shit taste. Every post just solidifies this point.

>emotional plot
That gets split up into an anime, multiple DLC, and other media because fuck telling a coherent story, apparently.
>open world setting
That's empty and shallow as fuck to actually play through.
>memorable characters
The main four, maybe. Everyone else? Yeah, no.
And that's not even getting into how godawful the actual gameplay is.

Attached: hold O to win.webm (640x360, 2.66M)

these videos literally proves his point, what the fuck are you? stupid?

>Aren't extremely long
The game is like 80 hours user.

FF is pretty comfy though, especially 15. You just drive or walk around with your bros exploring different locations with occasionally relaxing music

Its more of a puzzle game really.

Dragon Quest 1 is trash and basically just a JRPG beta test. Just play the third game (SNES translated rom) first. The second game is fucking horrible. Avoid it too.

>no grinding
O MY ULTIMATE WEAPONS
I only had the patience to grind for a single one of them, after not getting Lucas's.stick after killing like 50 of those Big Heads I gave up on all the rest.
I know you're gonna say it's not mandatory grinding, but fuck you. Tons of other RPGs just give you the best equipment after completing a quest.

I’d definitely try out TWEWY. It’s one of the most unique gameplay experiences out there, especially when compared to other games.

>and basically just a JRPG beta test.
Because it's the Father of all modern JRPG series? Nigger, DQ1 is basically what every other JRPG at the time wanted to be, FF1 is almost a carbon copy of DQ1.

FF1 is silicon not carbon

>The second game is fucking horrible. Avoid it too.
Funny you should say that considering DQ2 didn't shit the bed as hard as FF2 did. When talking about sequels you oh-so-sacred Final Fantasy series just does an incomparably shittier job than Dragon Quest. And that goes for FF3 as well.

A Dragon's reQuest

Mature Quest

I never even mentioned final fantasy. The early FF games are shitty buggy messes. DQ3 was the first good DQ game is all I was pointing out.

H*ck yeah buddy this game is quite the treat. I just played it recently. I don't even like JRPGs. Fun from start a finish. Just oozes quality and polish. Can't believe only something like 50,000 US copies were made what a fuckin disaster.

You are going to want to want to get the first 3 isos from here
coolrom.com.au/
and disc 4 from here (its all fucked up on coolrom but hustler has shit download speed)
romhustler.net/

Run it on real hardware none of that emufaggotry alright?

Attached: 1777661-panzer_dragoon_saga_02_artworkedit.jpg (631x960, 106K)

30,000 copies, 20K in US and 10K in EU.

Why do you fucking jackasses have to be such insufferable cunts? Both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are good series all the way through. Why does one have to be better than the other? Just enjoy both, or only one, or neither if you hate RPGs. Stop bickering like children arguing which Ninja Turtle is better, you all look like retards.

>I know you're gonna say it's not mandatory grinding, but fuck you
I'm going to say that you have OCD and you should take your meds. No player without looking up these terms would know about "ultimate weapons", or even so much as care about them.

Anyone else play DQX? Can you continue doing most content with NPCs? I just started recently and reached the part where I got reincarnated and chose to be a merman.

Attached: IMG_20190808_141128_430.jpg (2976x2976, 866K)

where do you think we are

>Stop bickering like children arguing which Ninja Turtle is better
user, please, we all know Raph is the best

As someone who hates both, I think DQ fans are genuinely autistic. The series is mediocre at best, and even some of the fans themselves seem to agree. But apparently that makes them better.

Exactly, everyone knows old school Raphael is the best anyway.

Yeah i agree..... but Dragon Quest is better.

The second game of both series prove you wrong. That said, they both are generally good and the bickering is dumb.

As someone who hates both, I think FF fans are genuinely autistic. The series is mediocre at best, and even some of the fans themselves seem to agree. But apparently that makes them better.

>Both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are good series all the way through
Final Fantasy doesn't exist beyond the second game.

>What is DQ 2, 6, 7 and 9.
>What is FF 2, 3, 8, 10, 13 and 15.

What JRPGs do you like, user? Not really a DQ or FF fan, just curious.

how slow do you read
how smooth is your brain
this post is fucking embarrassing lol

Pokemon

FF3 and 10 are good.

Nine was great and a fuller vidlsion of what they wanted with dq3 but couldnt do at the time. Granted, I played the Jp version and got to hang out in front of Yodabashi Akiba enjoying all the social aspects fully.

>what is having shit taste

None, JRPGs are all mediocre trash.

>3 and 10 are good
Holy fucking lmao user, you can't be serious.

Attached: 1562258857531.jpg (640x645, 69K)

>>The music suck ass
DQ8 has one of the best soundtracks ever you pleb.

kek, good one user

FPBP

What's up with people calling retards or brain damaged or some other similar shit around here, it gets tiring.

I be you think The Last of Us and God of War are good games too you underdeveloped cumstain.

this is bait
you aren't funny, please go back

The overarching stories repeat themselves but DQ games change their narrative structure and sub stories pretty drastically between games. DQ5 still has the most unique story in any jRPG and still a unique concept even among wRPGs.

>>The music suck ass
oh, you were just trolling. kys resetard

Nier Automata with all the sidequests.

>all the way through
That's wrong for both series. Its basically universally agreed that at least FF2, 8, and 13 are shit, but really, every game in the series can potentially be shit depending on which fan you ask. I'd personally throw 6 into the shit list too.

Meanwhile with DQ its basically universally agreed that 2 and 6 are shit, though some fans will say none are bad. I'd personally take 6 off the shit list and throw 1 in it's place.

Either way, neither series is good all the way through, but DQ is good more often than FF is.

Attached: 1563751376346.jpg (474x240, 27K)

What made you reach that conclusion? Never played them.

Isn't it agreed that 7 is the shitter? It's the longest entry which seems off-putting for most.

>Some are fairly unique actually, but regardless the really interesting stuff usually comes from seeing every town in the world, and solving the varied problems in each one. That's part of the big appeal.

Even if they were "unique", they're still told tons of times by better RPGs. The towns are as simplistic as fuck and no originality. Do you have any idea that these type of stories and settings have told in fantasy stories for trillion times already?

>You've got shit taste, DQ has some of the best video game music there is.

DQ:
youtube.com/watch?v=XHGcklCB-c4

A better RPG:
youtube.com/watch?v=PvS0k8VIIhg

What was that you were saying?

>They've all got their own personalities and quirks to them, and are very memorable. You'd have to have amnesia to actually be able to forget about anyone of the main cast in these games.

Their designs and motives are literally borrowed from many character you see in tons of fantasy games. Of course it's fucking forgettable because I could play a better RPG game with better characters and soon they all disappear from my head.

>The cartoonish designs for monsters is a huge part of DQ's appeal, you'd have to be a fag to hate on these guys. Also the general cartoony look of most monsters makes the more serious designs look way more imposing.

I fail to see how this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slime_(Dragon_Quest)

Makes any sort of game appealing. Am I a fag now for hating on something that looks like it belongs on a cutesy platforming game like Kirby rather than an RPG?

>Medieval setting is the best setting

Medieval settings are so done to death. Try finding any great RPGs these days and notice how they no longer make these setting anymore.

In collision, I'll away see the games as total shit compared to better ones out there.

FF2 was kinda sorta enjoyable for me, stat leveling vs character leveling was a neat concept but kinda tedious later on. I did end up wandering around kinda lost for the first half of the game.

Oh, sorry then.

great cherry picking retard
>kingdom hearts
dont know what i expected to be honest

youtu.be/f0jJ2u2rk3k
youtube.com/watch?v=vN96gkXOWZc
youtu.be/emG4bNjhf-o
youtu.be/o7KSTl54aCk
youtu.be/HBsR3-wg1yg?list=PL1FD355C00F10FEF8&t=204
youtu.be/2RzQxFdQhHg?t=865
youtu.be/noJXIpkNMqU?list=PLPWm_qxX45QP5jOlY9TnsJbNOUB7X71go&t=194
youtu.be/p-L3UC-RO5Q?list=PLGQbDEZOLe8HMknGcRS_e1C9izMlCBkAk
youtu.be/XTIGvFuoc2I?list=PLGQbDEZOLe8HMknGcRS_e1C9izMlCBkAk

>>Try finding any great RPGs these days and notice how they no longer make these setting anymore.
>What is Witcher 3
>What is Pathfinder: Kingmaker

>A better RPG
>posts The light is the darkness which is light trapped in darkness trapped in light which is the relative of my mum's mum's cousin who is the light of the darkness who is related to the darkness which is the light locked inside the darkness which is related to my neighbor Steve's pet goldfish named Light
Lol no

Um, for anyone still paying attention, i'm playing Einlanzer and it's solid, dialogue is fun and combat is too, not blow your nut to the moon mind you, but enough to beat the 85% curve.

You're arguing with literal glue eating autists, they're drawn to classical music and games that only require two brain cells to control.

Just looked it up, looks alright.
I'll probably give it a go

Faggotass take on the monster designs.
DQ has that shit on lockdown.

The empty setting makes it whole lot better, it gaves us a feeling of adventure.

The four characters are total badasses and that's what makes it enjoyable.

I did say it wasn't good compared to the other FF titles, but at least it kicks a shit ton of emotion out of DQ anytime :D

>The empty setting makes it whole lot better, it gaves us a feeling of adventure.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA