Why is Yea Forums always so upset with JRPGs?

Why is Yea Forums always so upset with JRPGs?

Attached: i_079.jpg (1448x2048, 392K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eFgRMNgRq6g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They don't have enough chocolate elves

I need a fucking good chocolate thread to get my overjerked dick working again. Post some good ones.

Attached: hero boy.gif (500x417, 1.31M)

I just find their gameplay so fucking boring and most of them I've tried have dumb plots.
Only one I own and actually wanted to finish was SMT IV.

Who's the better class in Etrian Odyssey Untold 1, Ronin or Landsknecht?

this
not enough delicious brown
especially elves and bunnies

Attached: masurao_03.png (500x700, 207K)

delicious brown is a fantastic thing

Attached: 1522568514455.png (500x800, 369K)

Just like MMOs, the golden era of JRPGs ended years ago and will never come back, and this still upsets the shit out of people. It doesn't help that people often see "cute girls doing cute things" was the murderer of said era and its "ADVENTURE" feel, even though this have more to do with how the industry works and how the audience changed over the years.
You still can find good JRPGs every now and then, it's sad that some people just refuse to believe that they exist.

Attached: 1508619490161.gif (500x500, 11K)

I'm glad you could at least find one that you enjoyed, or at the very least wanted to see through to the end.

Attached: 1544111023738.jpg (960x720, 108K)

Attached: 73326725_p0_.png (1006x2000, 1015K)

Attached: 1354379040957.jpg (500x749, 220K)

Influx of normies, election tourist and discord trannies.

Attached: 1536153323345.png (1000x1292, 1.5M)

Attached: 1516794711915.gif (130x202, 730K)

dark elves were made for human cock

Attached: 1522562975091.jpg (1280x720, 79K)

hnnnnnnnnngg

Attached: 1565295440494.jpg (378x301, 14K)

don't do this to me, bros

Attached: 1522558070403.jpg (612x1000, 129K)

Attached: 1367954851746.jpg (600x816, 247K)

delicious brown love

Attached: 1522570773046.jpg (643x850, 67K)

The problem with JRPGs is the translation (localization) they americanized everything

I wanna bully that jackal.

Attached: ballistics.webm (306x576, 2.71M)

Ronin is better for general use as a damage dealer I think. Landsknecht has Triple Charge, which is very good especially if you can get a Grimoire from it for a Dark Hunter.

I don't agree, a lot of the best JRPGs of the golden age, snes to ps1, already had absolutely all the cliches and elements that you find in moderm ones, mainly that lack of "adventure!" in favor of "muh story!" and all the waifuism

its just that you and I like to forget the shitty bad ones that were forgettable (a shock, ain't it?) while nowadays its really fucking difficult to go "oh, shitty kusoge moe rpg made for a niche bunch of perverts? Never heard of it" and we think the shit is the norm when the actual amount and proportion of good JRPGs is the exact same as back then

hell, actually with everyone jumping on the jrpg bandwagon i would argue the amount of bad as sin JRPGs was way worse in that golden age we are speaking of

Attached: bullshit.png (244x278, 71K)

same

Attached: 1522568341816.jpg (1500x1800, 1.11M)

there is no such thing as "better" in etrian odyssey games, maybe with the exception of 2 and 3, all the classes are good and usable, it all depends on party composition and what you want

do you want a glass cannon? ronin, do you want more durability? go landshark

good post

Attached: 1388751146558.jpg (800x472, 270K)

I mean, I always have a problem with dedicated healers.
They are fucking indispensable for the first maybe quarter of the game, then they suddenly turn into absolute dead weight when other people learn how to heal.
I mean, they are still useful for that beginning, but overall I really think they are consistently the worst class in the game

what the fuck are you doing?
if you have a dedicated healer what the fuck are you doing having other party members heal?
if you have other party members heal why the fuck do you have a dedicated healer?
but most importantly
why the fuck aren't you using your healer for more things besides healing, like spamming attacks, buffs or anything else?

you are new to the franchise, are you?
for fucks sake, if you are not playing in the hardest difficulty just fucking restart. The game was never meant to be played in anything but expert and it shows

>a lot of the best JRPGs of the golden age, snes to ps1, already had absolutely all the cliches and elements that you find in moderm ones

Yeah, because they originated them. It's not their fault that their themes and story beats have been copied ad naseum by later generations.

Attached: 61ad8bf8a542fd4afd9f3e9740db33c4.jpg (591x800, 322K)

then why is it okay for those games to have those elements and their time be considered the golden age but nowadays its fucking shit that should have never happened?
At the very least don't be an hypocrite who says "muh [genre] used to be good and now its all trash!", final fantasy VII has always been fucking trash and worse than many JRPGs that come out today but people will jump to suck its cock completely dry because muh nostalgia or "muh golden era", don't be like that

I don't agree with you at all.

Different user here but since you might be here still, I was wondering if it was possible to beat the main game with 1 character.
I've seen solo run bosses, but it feels like it'd be less fun than a Duo or trio, or even a full party.
Overall I think it might be super tedious and not worth it.

>Overall I think it might be super tedious and not worth it.
in general yes but
>only one party member
1-depends on the game
2-Only with specific classes
3-get ready to reset a lot, its really frustrating

however
>2 or 3
that seems more plausible and honestly quite fun for some people seeking a challenge.
I would never do it, but that's because my favorite part of EO is party building and considering how you are encourage to make your own story of "your guys" I think its the best way to play it

BUT FOR FUCKS SAKE
PLAY ON EXPERT
WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU DO, JUST PLAY ON EXPERT, THE GAME IS ABSOLUTELY BAD OTHERWISE BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER BALANCED FOR OTHER DIFFICULTIES
>what about heroic difficulty?
absolutely not intented for first time players

Thank you kindly user. Could you explain why the lower difficulty makes the game trash?
What does it do?

Because it was 20 (in some cases 30) years ago, and the genre has grown since then. You don't get a pack on a back just for doing what's already been done for decades.

Attached: 5e46d16670841811d59f8d8656dbdf2f.jpg (2400x2796, 3.13M)

Tell that to dragon quest and pokemon

IS THAT A

They're as shallow as western shooters.

wewlad

>tfw no cutie Dark Elf gf

Attached: 1370996169603.jpg (373x800, 201K)

Lowers damage received and increases damage dealt but it works wierd in EOU2 because the bosses were designed with the op as fuck story mode in mind.

its simple, it just lowers the stats of enemies so that you take less damage and the enemy takes more damage
it ruins several things, one of the most important being having to play around the hard as balls random encounters. Because random encounters are difficult and require strategy you are forced to play the game with a good strategy in mind for exploration. Similarly it forces you to follow the strategy of the bosses and come up with good counters instead of bruteforcing ech of them. At first you can be tempted because the early game is always the most hellish part but trust me that it is not worth it

the reason i knew the other guy wasn't playing on expert was because he said "dedicated healers are the worst"
excuse me, what the fuck? if you had been playing on the intended difficulty you wouldn't be able to advance without having to heal on every battle and without a dedicated healer that's impossible. Not that it is impossible and that gimnick strategies aren't good, but the fact that a change of difficulty makes some classes "shit" when in a previous statement I clearly said that "there are no bad classes" is a testament of how it was never intended to be played that way

I have a party of Masurao, Masurao, Dragoon, Dragoon, Dragoon on EOV. How fucked am I if I continue down this path?

no
fuck you
if a game is shit, it is fucking shit, if it is good then it is fucking good. Anything else is the pure definition of injustice
>yeah, these two games do the same BAD thing, but because one is 20 years old and the other isn't then I won't say it is a bad thing on the old one and say it completely ruins the new one
YURUSAN!

Attached: you are not justice.jpg (672x740, 75K)

Attached: 120f1c265473abd52fd7982467b28a36.jpg (1075x1518, 854K)

i'm not

That's a myth. Fafnir does have insane damage output via burst damage but the original classes were all buffed to hell and can keep up just fine, Dark Hunters especially.

Western shooters don't have any girls in them though. Unless you're shooting them.

That honestly sounds fucking hilarious
you might have a problem with lack of elemental damage because there are some legit motherfuckers who are too resistant to physical.
Might want to try making one of the masuraos put points in bolt slash and hope for the best

Because they insist on being super derivative and having shit gameplay.

>Why is Yea Forums always so upset with JRPGs?
Because they have good premises, good concepts, good character designs, and frequently good worlds. And then rather than letting you explore any of that shit, you instead must spend 50 hours grinding through the same exact fight in order to watch 10 hours of the most boring, trite dialogue while wandering through the most basic "dungeon" layouts believable. Nobody cares when the game looks boring and most people like when the game is good, but so many are just terrible and it's such a waste of potential.

it makes the game easier, to different degree depending on the game
for example, I believe the multipliers in 2U are
>expert: 100% damage dealt and 100% damage received
>normal: 120% damage dealt and 80% damage recieved
>"casual": 300% damage dealt and 33% damage recieved
As for heroic, it's only an option in Nexus and it's exactly the same as expert mode, but if you lower the difficulty you can't raise it back to heroic. So it's a badge of honor saying "I didn't lower the difficulty ever"
dedicated healers really aren't necessary, but without one you still need some form of healing. Healing between battles with monarch march, circle boon giving small heals every turn, or even just using healing items can be good enough.

I was hoping I could just lower bash/pierce/slash resist on enemies and make up for it with sheer damage output.

based riderbro btfo nostalgiafags

Attached: user30285_pic2158_1213256882.gif (416x600, 51K)

>dedicated healers really aren't necessary, but
in fact I would argue that they might be better than dedicated healers.
They are less intuitive to use but ever so rewarding
Regardless, because you are extensively putting points into sustain with their talents, they are still to a great degree "dedicated healers", just not the same kind as the active ones such as the medic,botanist or monk

too fucking risky methinks

Westerners hate anything remotely japanese.

OH NOOOOO

Attached: 1522604584074.jpg (601x850, 259K)

>grinding
Stupid casual scum

Pretty much. Enemies have larger health pools and players deal higher damage. Some games have triple/quad digit damage being endgame tier and superbosses with 90000 HP, some have 5 digit damage being endgame tier with bosses that have 900000 HP. They still function the same when interacting.

CALM DOWN EVERYONE
it will stay there if nobody reports!
NOBODY HAS TO KNOW!

Also more importantly you don't get game overs after wiping in the easier modes, and enemies also use certain skills, usually the ones that make them a problem to begin with, less frequently or never at all.

Attached: 1549947769231.jpg (847x468, 90K)

When I need to spend 90% of my game time in battles, which are not challenging and just require me to repeat the same series of actions over and over again, that's grinding. It doesn't matter if I'm grinding to intentionally gain levels or if I'm killing all the enemies I come across just to move on to the next objective, it's still spending an enormous amount of time just getting through the same repetitive fights for literally zero reward.

And sure, you might run into the occasional JRPG where you can run from everything and still technically beat the bosses, but nearly all require the encounter grind and so you're going to assume it's real even in the few cases it isn't.

>When I need to spend 90% of my game time in battles, which are not challenging and just require me to repeat the same series of actions over and over again, that's grinding
Wow I wasn't aware FPS and action games were also grinding.

FPS and action games put you in new situations that test your skills. Well, ideally. I'll agree that your side-scrolling beat-em-ups and most current FPS are pretty grindy if you just want to get to the end credits, but a decent game is going to keep slapping new situations and new challenges in front of you and ask you to overcome them.

"This enemy as 10,000 more HP" is not a new challenge. It's not a new situation. It's the last situation, except longer, except not really because your attacks will soon be doing 10,000 HP more damage thanks to leveling up. And sure, occasionally you'll have a JRPG with actually challenging bosses, but even then the majority of your time is devoted to the mandatory killing of random battles to be at the required levels/gold amount.

>but a decent game is going to keep slapping new situations and new challenges in front of you and ask you to overcome them.
Soo most dungeon crawlers then

NiggerLovers:The Thread

You should look into randomizer speed runs, since you're competing for time, grinding is punished, and every seed has new challenges to overcome.

youtube.com/watch?v=eFgRMNgRq6g

Attached: 1367955608913.png (639x926, 943K)

Final Fantasy IV: Free Enterprise is unironically a lot of fun. I've only messed around with that and the original LoZ one.

I've done FF1, FF4, LoZ1, and Z3/SM quite a bit, I love them all. Breathes a lot of life into some of my favorite games, competing for time encourages me not to gather up every advantage available to me and just make do with what I have. I got particularly good at Z3/SM combo randomizer for a while, but I'm out of practice now.

wrong! faggot
the main appeal of chocolate animu is that they are cute girls with exotic skin tone but without being disgusting niggers, with the face and hair of caucasians or just anime girl, whatever, anything but nigger

Attached: 09706fe5f7b18eab5b9d950a813fdf89.jpg (598x1014, 62K)

Attached: 1522560597870.jpg (900x1200, 401K)

time for more chocolate

Attached: 1358367419238.jpg (706x1000, 87K)

2D Choco > 3D Negroid
Knowing is half the battle.

Attached: 1358372361616.jpg (2048x2480, 1.61M)

Attached: 1358370341665.jpg (688x933, 322K)

Landsknecht is such a groovy class name

Attached: 1522561532630.png (1551x980, 1.39M)

Attached: 1522564970527.png (795x1105, 496K)

Attached: 1522567061490.jpg (681x1001, 640K)