Never played a Tales game. Which, if any, are worth the time...

Never played a Tales game. Which, if any, are worth the time? Symphonia and Vesperia seem to be the two I hear praised the most.

Attached: tales.jpg (1280x720, 198K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EfkBbvBCDmU
youtube.com/watch?v=wahtkLPxOXA
youtube.com/watch?v=Q7cpt9EajD0
youtube.com/watch?v=O5NPfCiZ9qE
youtu.be/GLdZiczOgH8
youtube.com/watch?v=opIZrutO9GI
youtube.com/watch?v=85Fw-pEBI0o
youtube.com/watch?v=MfnKOSIeN6k
youtube.com/watch?v=OC68VoACMA4
youtube.com/watch?v=-SHM-7qMiDs
youtu.be/AePWX9snqxs
twitter.com/talesof_therays/status/1159752279169232897?s=20
youtube.com/watch?v=f7-YptNv3KE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just be a man and start with Phantasia

They're all worth the time.

All of the mainline games are alright and worth playing. Some games are direct sequels, or at least assume that you've played the previous game, but those are rare. I'm slightly drunk so I might forget some but you can start with pretty much every single line of this greentext and you will be fine
>Phantasia
>Symphonia (don't touch the second game, just fucking don't)
>Abyss
>Vesperia
>Graces f
>Xilia 1+2
>Zestiria, Berseria though you can still play Berseria without playing Zestiria. I did enjoy Berseria much, much more after playing Zestiria - the gameplay improvements and story throwbacks were great.

Play Abyss too.

Hearts R

Abyss, user. Abyss

Attached: 201773.jpg (726x881, 249K)

Well out of the two in your pic, the one on the right is a bit rough but fine enough, the left is a dumpster fire.

This is a lie.
This is a lie as well.
If you plan on playing more than one game, start with Symphonia. If you play a 3D game that is not Symphonia first, do not go back and play Symphonia. Avoid Zestiria, Berseria, and Graces.
Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, and Eternia are the best starting points. Best games are the 2D Jap-only ones like Rebirth and Destiny PS2. Have fun, fag.

Play the one with the girls that appeal to you the most

Attached: 1557074707679.jpg (390x570, 67K)

>If you plan on playing more than one game, start with Symphonia.
What if I only intended to play one game from the series?

I've played a bunch of them and honestly Zestiria and Berseria were my 2 favorites.

Most tales games lack any kind of serious plot or sense of urgency but both of those games actually kept me invested in the story. Both games were really good on their own, but since they are directly connected it made me enjoy them even more. I'm not a huge tales fan but I would recommend those two.

Attached: 20190707024850_1.jpg (1920x1080, 213K)

>eternia
>best starting point
you've lost your speaking privileges

>avoid graces
Fuck off. Graces f is a fantastic tales of; its intro is just slow

post the girls

Attached: 1564103494505.jpg (856x1089, 102K)

start with Symphonia or abyss (not the 3ds version). you can play any game of the series after that.

Zestiria hardly had urgency and berseria dragged on way too fucking much lol. Anyone who loves these two games should never share their opinion again

This. Don't be a pussy

I played Vesperia for the ELF and got seriously disappointed. The gameplay itself was okay but holy shit was the plot the most boring nonsensical thing. It's an 80 hour game with no real plot that goes nowhere the entire time. Things just happen and you have no real goal the entire game.

Attached: 20190519010107_1.jpg (1920x1080, 149K)

The side characters pretty much carried Zestiria, they all had their very own unique brand of cute autism. I just wish the gameplay wasn't so shitty outside of armatization, it always felt like you were hitting enemies with a wet noodle.

This user knows what's up. Especially with regards to
>If you play a 3D game that is not Symphonia first, do not go back and play Symphonia
Honestly I think Symphonia is the best starting point because you can go back to the 2D games without any issue but you could also advance to the 3D games and see an immediate upgrade.
Also, don't play Zesteria.

I'd say play the best one, play Destiny on PS2.
>he doesn't think Eternia is THE quintessential Tales game
Oh, to be foolish...

Play Phantasia first, what's wrong with you?

One of the worst video game series ever made. I wouldn't wish playing Tales on anyone, not even my worst enemies.

Attached: eb6beb6f15a0ce6cd442835fd405130b.jpg (644x884, 230K)

>every game should be the same and take no chances like dragon quest or SMT

You can start with anything that isn't a direct sequel (they typically have subtitles or numbers). A lot of what makes certain ones strong is specific design elements or the casts, and a fair amount of that is personal preference, so honestly I recommend deciding based on which you personally feel looks most interesting out of what you have access to.

Symphonia and Vesperia are the most praised in part because they're the progenitors of modern Tales, but they are great games deserving of that legacy. You might find Berseria more appealing as a first entry due to having more modern conveniences though, for example.

The only thing I'd advise is not to start with Zestiria as it's generally considered not-so-great and while enjoyable, there are definitely better options.

tl;dr, start with any non-sequel Tales you want, go with your gut.

Played Vesperia and Berseria recently.
Would highly recommend Vesperia, thought it was a fun, though albeit too long, adventure. Gameplay starts off fairly clunky, but it smoothens out over time.

Berseria was meh. The combat put me to sleep. Story was alright with neat emotional scenes, but it felt like a step backwards in terms of scale.

Just make sure to play on Japanese, especially Berseria since the English VA's really fuck up the emotional scenes.

based

Attached: .jpg (854x480, 142K)

>I played Vesperia for the ELF and got seriously disappointed. The gameplay itself was okay but holy shit was the plot the most boring nonsensical thing. It's an 80 hour game with no real plot that goes nowhere the entire time.
It's merely okay but I was severely disappointed after people hailed it as something fucking great. Sure, Yuri doing shit that has to be done is great but that's about it. But then you have all this other bullshit
>Alexei kinda coming out of nowhere
>the while spirit conversion thing that did absolutely fuck all for gameplay and just ended with lol let's convert all the blastia
>fucking Duke
>NO FUCKING ADEPHAGOS BATTLE
>JUST A SHITTY CUTSCENE
FUCK

it doesn't matter how good eternia is when it's indisputably the hardest and most impenetrable game in the series. fans will appreciate it, newcomers won't.

Vesperia is the slice of life Tales game.

Lmao, what the fuck makes you thinking it is more impenetrable, than say, Rebirth or Legendia? It's so fucking straightforward.

I wanna impregnate Kohaku!

It was the second one I played and I don't remember having any problem with it, don't remember it being hard either (first one I played was the "arche fucks like a tiger" edition though)

I would've played ToD before it but I couldn't find a copy back then and ended up emulating it years later instead.

I just want her to kick me.

Attached: 4093411.jpg (603x786, 187K)

I wonder what remaster we will get next. I want to play more of them but I don't want to buy old copies of a game just to have a remaster come out in the near future.

Rebirth isn't even fucking translated dude. And like I already said, Eternia is considered one of the hardest games in the series. That's why it's impenetrable, maybe not in the early game, but later.

I'd love a Graces remaster but I doubt this is going to happen. My playthrough stopped after a random encounter fucking me over since I never saved because you could retry the bossses anyway. Lost something like 8 hours of progress because I was lazy.

sure kinda crazy it still isn't, you'd think a tales autist would've been all over translating it years ago

Everyone seems to rag on Zestiria but I don't see why. It's got a cohesive narrative and decent character development.

I never understood either, I also like it more than Berseria. It's not my fav but I'd personally rank it pretty high (I've played all of the translated/localized ones starting with phantasia)

All the Tales autists simultaneously decided they'd trust Absolute Zero to translate literally everything, and then he quit for no reason and didn't release any of his work or the tools he was using because fuck you

Attached: 1557230057033.jpg (763x832, 160K)

Eternia was my second game too, after Symphonia. The entire game was an enjoyable experience and I'd love to read anywhere besides here that people considered it harder than all of the other games. But I don't expect you to find sources, because I sure as fuck wouldn't go looking for them if I were in your shoes.

It really is strange. You'd think with how much garbage gets fan translated someone would have translated Rebirth and Destiny remake by now.

>Alicia was forced out of the main cast and sidelined for a nobody
>Alicia ends up becoming a sidecharacter despite being advertised as the main heroine
>Your characters do 0 damage unless you use the gimmick, FORCING you to play a certain way
>30FPS without mods
Everything else was average.

Well, excluding the Alisha fiasco.
>0 damage
Maybe if you're a brainlet who didn't manage his skills properly. Get those stats up, bro. Armatizing's for losers who can't fuse their gear properly. Just use Cheat Engine.

Attached: 1537062790614.png (1922x1081, 1.82M)

Abyss was the only one I really liked.

Speaking of Eternia, which version should I play: The PS1 original, or the PSP remake

It doesn't really matter which one. They're almost the exact same. Besides I think a few minor additions the PSP version has

I have played Symphonia and Vesperia, I liked them both a lot but I also have nostalgia for them so I might be biased. Abyss came out between those two and its gameplay is pretty similar to them. The newer games change up the combat a bit but some people seem to like the changes, I’ve heard good things about Xillia 1 and 2 which no one seems to have touched on yet. I also played zestiria for like an hour but the camera was horrible in the first dungeon and the dialogue seemed really corny, although it sounds like a lot of people didnt love zestiria

Well, the translation itself isn't the problem, user. You can find youtube style annotated or script based translations of most things. The problem is hacking the games, which brings the next point that user here covered:
Absolute Zero had considerable amounts of progress done with Destiny DC, but they ragequitted without releasing any of the scripts, nor the tools which weren't even theirs. So back to square one it is.

At the very least the Vesperia PS3 TL was finished before the remaster was announced...

Attached: tox2-hotsprings-girls.jpg (2539x2000, 2.63M)

Wait until Lloyd Irving gets into smash ultimate as a playable.

Attached: 1487235741022.png (250x224, 53K)

Attached: 2015-06-14-041250.jpg (960x544, 105K)

Start with symphonia. It's a good entry into the series. You'll enjoy it, and then the later titles improve on aspects of Symphonia. So you'll have a nice upward trajectory. Skip Symphonia 2.

>Blocks your path

Attached: 1539817025338.png (640x480, 295K)

Phantasia is the only one worth the time

>"Equipping a Swordfighter with Airborne Assault, Power Thrust and Blurring Blade will be a close approximation to Lloyd's Tempest, Sonic Thrust (Rising Falcon in the air) and Sword Rain moves, respectively- though obviously with the use of only one blade." - Smash Wiki
>Mii Swordfighter century smash save corruption glitch.
>Link is the base for Hero, pic related. They also share the shield block sound effect.
Sorry, your dino fella won't be in smash.

Attached: Linked heroes.jpg (1127x638, 520K)

Every bit of the pose is different here. The tilt of the sword, the articulation of the legs. The position of the shield. Everything.

i played just for judy too and was extremely disappointed by her boring blandness

Attached: 1563959148096.png (900x737, 663K)

Man, I was looking forward to this too. But then it turned out to be way more specific than it was worth.

Attached: And I love to SUFFER by Maotelus.jpg (900x900, 208K)

Attached: CIl8JnMVEAAM7b0.png orig.png (1500x1659, 2.49M)

Ooh.

Attached: a03162e7c99b907bc7ac720b937a4d08.jpg (1022x402, 65K)

Yep.

Attached: DaKl-YFUQAkWc1g.jpg orig.jpg (2205x2205, 414K)

Lailah is so beautiful.

"Is that the freaking Lady of the Lake and Shepard at the card table over there?"
"Looks like it."
"Well crap, society's goin' to the dogs after all."

Attached: Dt_chXCW4AAgbWz.jpg (1333x1100, 264K)

Needs more love.

Cute.

Attached: DUzutktU0AE-vVu.jpg orig.jpg (2894x3212, 754K)

Having played both, Symphonia. You can skip the sequel if you want but it isn't horrible.

Can anyone TL;DR the Symphonia sequel story? If I'm gonna be skipping it, might as well know what happens after the first game's story.

anything but zestiria.

>No legendia
Fake fan

Graces F has one of the worst most irritating stories I've ever experienced in a video game. The combat is great but everything else is shit.

Uniting the worlds caused wild mana imbalances which threatened to tear the world down through monster attacks and strange weather patterns. Two scientists wake up the summon spirit Ratatosk, who has the power to fix all that. Unfortunately, he has a hate boner for anyone who's not an elf because the Kharlan War drained his tree's mana. One bloke is killed off, the other "kills" Ratatosk, who escapes thanks to one of his servants. Ratatosk revives in a weakened state with no memories. He travels around with his companions to awaken Ratatosk's other servants to help balance out the world's mana.

Ratatosk eventually regains his memories and decides that after his journey, humans and half-elves aren't so bad. He "rewrites the laws of the world" so that life no longer require mana, which apparently explains why there are living beings in Phantasia even after Yggdrassil withered away.

I still don't get all the hate that Zestiria gets. Bamco shills it as the better game to this day still and Berseria was only good because of what Zestiria established.

Attached: 20190702231301_1.jpg (1920x1080, 267K)

Cool, thanks for that.

Story's definitely not one of its strong points. The plot could've ended early if Asbel just buttfucked Richard right after Cerdic was killed. Dude was hot and heavy after doing it.

Hmm, I didn't think a top-down summary would work, but that's spot on.

It's functional, I liked it enough to finish it in two big bursts. I even liked the world being to scale just to see the series do it. The equipment combining was more trouble than it was worth, and the battles didn't have the best feedback, on top of it being unclear how much damage you were actually doing (what WAS that about?) and the push for aramatizing some battles had. Certain story details were kind of unclear too.

Attached: patreon_free_sketch__lailah_and_zaveid_by_manu_chann-db5fqmx.png (900x864, 788K)

Attached: USlNJRnslNZ_k0pZ.webm (1280x720, 1.24M)

philia and woodrow in delicious 3d again soon!

Attached: b12ab49e1a8c8f45431b7b4acfe28a31.jpg (973x1317, 809K)

Something different, I thought it wasn't terrible.

Attached: tales_of_zestiria___lailah_by_yeshrita-daisuc9.jpg (1931x1922, 1011K)

Nice!

Not bad I suppose

Attached: TalesAbyss-Philiaunusedry3.png (512x128, 46K)

>find a necropolis layer with chimaeras
>spam critical moment with 100 luck and great pirate symbol
>1/2 exp
This is retarded, I'll just fight Spiral Draco at level 120 and prepare for assrape

Attached: 1564511344.png (1920x1080, 1.24M)

This character design is very dangerous.

Attached: 20190707233118_1.jpg (1920x1080, 376K)

Start with Xillia
Skip Xillia 2

Attached: EBb-R1GUEAEoRir.jpg (800x690, 127K)

Ah don't want shitters playing the best Tales, I feel you.

Ludger was a good boy

Attached: 1546290184151.jpg (1280x720, 50K)

can I enjoy xillia 2 without playing the original? I read there's a lot of reused content between both games and 2 looks like it has the better combat and story

Xillia 2 is a true sequel, the implications of it will be hampered by not playing 1.
If you only care about Ludger's story then sure, but the cast from 1 returns to finish what they started.

i see nothing dangerous, user

Attached: symonne.png (585x620, 400K)

Although the main plot doesn't require it to know what's going on, they constantly make references back to the events of 1, especially in character quests.
At the very least, you should watch a playthough of the first game.

it's okay she's -1000 years old

Attached: 20190708020904_1.jpg (1920x1080, 218K)

Wish that was me etc etc

Attached: 1430096568196.png (700x818, 528K)

Attached: 20190708013848_1.jpg (1920x1080, 222K)

Hisui's such a wholesome oniichan.
I have to say, the Hearts R cast really grows on you despite Shing being such a meh protagonist with such a terribly written romance in a game where romance is supposedly a major plot point.
Raven singlehandedly cockblocks Spiral Draco regardless of the level you're in as long as you get his ultimate weapon in the dungeon.

Attached: The Shing should fear the Oniichan.jpg (600x470, 228K)

Symphonia is garbage and babby's first tales, don't play it

AAAAAAAA I LOVE LLOYD

Attached: DkkI2xDXsAAtPCt.jpg orig.jpg (830x975, 87K)

Got one for the Raine anons.

It's like Symonne was just too real to continue the lie that Tales is anime tripe in the guise of fantasy.

Attached: CNAZerPUAAEyvUU.jpg (586x1000, 87K)

symphonia, vesperia, graces, in that order.

Imagine how good it must feel to get stepped on by a gang of adult mature seraphs.

Attached: 20190708012230_1.jpg (1920x1080, 240K)

This is Celsius, my cool beauty.

Attached: 15903131_p2.jpg (600x504, 146K)

Yes..

Attached: DGZa5BiVYAEupUF.png orig.png (600x600, 432K)

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?!?!

Attached: INDIGNATION.png (1431x921, 2.19M)

when will they learn?

Attached: 1556684341088.jpg (3249x3361, 3.7M)

THIS ENDS HEEAR

INDIG-NAYSHUN

Is the rebirth translation done yet?

what rebirth translation

Attached: 1563499640234.jpg (900x1297, 139K)

IT CAN'T BE...

Good starting points:

>Symphonia
>eternia

you can then go forward to later entries, or back to earlier ones. Phantasia PSX is the best version of it, vesperia is one of the most popular. Avoid hearts and symphonia 2.

youtube.com/watch?v=EfkBbvBCDmU

They have a Discord, I know that much.

Attached: 54125947_p0.png (1213x830, 1.31M)

So what's the best 1 on 1 rival battle in symphonia and why is it REPLICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

youtube.com/watch?v=wahtkLPxOXA

Attached: f63737d109305999d484f0602ecdd8a1.png (525x700, 385K)

Attached: 2226903.jpg (1020x1181, 553K)

yuri vs estelle is the best duel in the franchise and no one can convice me otherwise

kill me

Attached: 1560841402910.png (602x836, 371K)

Girls 155cm and below are the very best girls.

Attached: 1558052371681.jpg (1200x1600, 887K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Q7cpt9EajD0

The Zesteria Dragon fight was a punch above its weight, but I can't fault Namco for trying. 3 freaking fight songs too.

I was in a store not too long ago using Dragon Ball Super: Broly as one of their lopping display movies, and as I passed I got a close up of Vegeta's face. "Ouch, we don't need to see that spread over 70+ inches" I thought. Then I remembered 4K Estelle lips

Attached: 62100897_p0.jpg (7161x3080, 1.5M)

Ludger vs Julius exists.

Luke vs Asch is so kino bamco can't stop constantly referencing it.

Attached: lukevsasch.webm (1280x720, 1.71M)

Make that 157cm and below and we have a deal

Attached: C9yI5HEUwAAc2zg.jpg (800x1256, 120K)

4 U YEAH ;~;

Blood Brothers is feels

I played Vesperia as my first Tales game because everybody says it is good and I know 2 (two) different people IRL that love the game, and I thought it was pretty damn bad. I have no idea why it is considered to be so good by so many people. I honestly can't think of a single major aspect of it that I would describe as better than "acceptable", but several aspects that I would describe as "bad" or worse. If Vesperia is supposed to be one of the good ones, I'm scared of how bad some of the other Tales games must be.

youtube.com/watch?v=O5NPfCiZ9qE

tales will never top this song.

I'd honestly rate Vesperia as one of the weaker titles. Even just looking at the combat, it's filled with strange design. It's atrociously stiff even until late midgame. Basic skills like Backstep aren't given to you right off the bat. Everyone burns through TP like it's nothing so it's hard to practice combos, not even considering if the enemy will live long enough. You get to unlock Altered Artes pretty early on, but you can't chain them into or from anything until way later in the game, at least a few dozen hours later. Bosses can just get out of your combo and launch mystic artes without having to touch you first.

Not to mention the story and character interactions are completely mediocre. Half the cast barely matters and it feels like they're only there as filler material to fluff up cast size. And the story's so incoherent, jumping from one theme to another.

Attached: 3179161.jpg (908x770, 150K)

Eternia is considered hard?

The story was so frustrating. The first third or so of the game it just fucking crawls, the second third it finally gets some interesting conflicts, like the empire vs. the guilds and Yuri's vigilantism vs. Flynn's by-the-books sticklership, and then in the last third they just unceremoniously dump absolutely all of those storylines into the fucking river without so much as an acknowledgement that they're never going to be addressed again, all just to make room for a retarded ancient-evil-has-awakened plotline. Everything after the Alexei incident was about the most disappointing direction for the story to take that they could have come up with. Honestly, the story would have been better if the game just ended after Alexei. There would have been a lot of loose ends left completely unresolved, but the final leg of the game that we do have STILL leaves all those loose ends unresolved, but takes up another 40 or so hours to not resolve them.

what the fuck is that?

Desain generic enemy girl is just about to have fun.

Attached: Doun_g7UcAA4IWs.jpg orig.jpg (446x631, 61K)

and what are those monsters surrounding lloyd?

They just want in, too

Attached: DY0-Wh_VAAAy0Ve.jpg orig.jpg (2039x2039, 620K)

>Shortcut set: Triple Ray Satellite
>*C-Sticking mashing noises*

Attached: tumblr_p2xqdsF4cZ1sfq2gio1_500.jpg (500x506, 48K)

they're what happen when you draw while jacking off

Vesperia feels stiff since it builds off of stiff Abyss which is built off of stiff symphonia. For a lot of people (myself included), Team Symphonia games felt amazing. Team Destiny games were more freeform in their battling approach. Most of their games never felt good to me, and pretty much both sides agreed that combining the two styles of play turned out worse for everyone. Xillia 2 or arguably Innocence were the closest the two systems had to harmonizing, but the true potential never has come to fruition.

I'm still waiting on two games with symphonia and destiny styled combat, so everyone can have something to latch on to. Too bad we're in Mobage hell. Can't wait to see Crestoria pulled from NA before its first year.

I dunno about you guys but Fuck Anise

Worst character in the entire series

Do what many other anons said and start with Phantasia, it's one of the best games in the series. Symphonia is a solid entry and Vesperia is incredibly average, don't let anyone tell you otherwise

Attached: DTbm6pWUMAAjgrQ.jpg orig.jpg (2000x2000, 765K)

In Zestiria they have the kitty beard starting a war that they hint at multiple times will destroy the continent and corrupt the seraphim.

>rody has both long and short hair
>just gives her a ponytail
I guess I can see what they were going for

Attached: 1544928637323.jpg (800x1000, 217K)

I want to know, did you dislike most of the cast too? Graces story is my least favorite from all the Tales games I've played so far but I enjoyed not only the combat a lot but the cast enough to look over that, though I don't often hear people feel the same.

Attached: CHERIA LETS MAKE OUT.png (513x697, 441K)

Reminder, Sorey is married to the seraphim in his party.

They should have done a third after berseria. there's still a lot of major unanswered conflicts. a 3rd game would have been a great way to find a way to purify dragons and end the curse of malevolence. it would probably most likely involve invading heaven where all the seraphim originally were from too. so much interesting lore and story telling down the drain for ARISE.

Attached: 20190709215714_1.jpg (1920x1080, 198K)

The lore for BersZest is really interesting once you're able to piece it together but unfortunately a lot of people didn't because Zestiria fucked up the explanation, not helped by people being distracted by irrelevant bs.

I'm pretty sure if Berseria could continue on top of the mess Zestiria made while still having the massive appeal that it did in spite of being a fix-it prequel fic, there could feasibly be a third game in the near future.

Tales was never exactly good at doing direct follow ups to prior Tales game. Even though Berseria did do it's best I'm sure Bamco just wanted to start a clean slate and move on

Attached: tumblr_oz2w7fKtvx1u2lyiwo1_1280.png (1097x1097, 692K)

The world itself and the concept are interesting enough. But most players didn't bother trying to figure out what "malevolence" meant and chalked it up to being a retarded concept.

All of the lore in Berseria was mentioned in the Zestiria guidebooks though. It's just that Berseria actually bothered to explain shit and didn't allow the player to get distracted by irrelevant shit.

Where is that stated? I know it keeps getting brought up.

It was interested in some of the ideas at first, but after a while I just felt "I'm glad we have an out and out Dark Lord to thrash"

Attached: almighty_shepherd__lineart__by_bleachcakecosplay-dak80on.jpg (1438x1395, 668K)

Or doesn't help that the localization used these word "malevolence" which in itself isn't a good word to describe it when words like "malice" or "miasma" would have fit better.

I thought malevolence was pretty straight forward. I didn't really get the whole lord of calamity thing after playing berseria though.

Was his malevolance so strong that it could never be purified and that's why it floated away after killing him?

Attached: 20190805211719_1.jpg (1920x1080, 288K)

Well for me, gameplay wise it wasn't fun at all to play due to broken camera and limiting party combo composition since you're forced to always have Rose and Sorey in party if you want to use all 4 slots. Character wise, while the whole cast did have their moments at times, in the end they felt very disjointed and lacked the cohesiveness that most other Tales parties gained by the end of the game with each other, like how Edna only joined for the sake of her brother who still ends up being killed in the end after no real plot focused attempts to find ways to cure him. While I'm not necessarily mad that Alisha ended up leaving the party early, the way it was handled and how Rose took her spot didn't sit well with me either, especially when Rose got this big scene about how she'd take on the burden of klling for Sorey and yet going forward it doesn't seem as it was that big a deal in the story as it was made to be. Her backstory with Dezel was also messy and I still feel Dezel's death was a big cope out of being able to develop both the characters even more. Lailah was my favorite design in game but she also ended up being pretty bland and forgettable to me by the end too even though she's one of the key characters in the plot. And then the plot... they originally advertised it as a game about the "Zest" of life and adventuring which also would heavily involve dragons but it ended up being another typical "chosen hero goes to save the world" but worse.
The only plot points I can really remember ever feeling strongly about was when Melvin died and maybe a bit when Sorey went and ended Heldalf himself but these are just a few of the things that come to mind that made Zestiria a bad game for me, along with how people fiercely defend all the games flaws just because they took Namco's Sorey/Mikleo bait.

Attached: C4KJ5fWVUAInrY0.jpg (700x900, 176K)

The Zestiria guidebooks explains shepherds are married to the seraphim in their team. That's why seraphim give the shepherds their true name. And why shepherds themselves can't enter into romantic relationships with other humans, while they are shepherds. Also Sorey can have 4 seraphim brides because he's just that powerful, a squire's ability to armatize and see serphim is based on their own strength. Alisha can't see seraphim because she's just that weak.

Apparently this was written in the Celestial Record, and anyone who read the record would know it.

The Lord of Calamity is basically malevolence amalgamated into pure physical form. It's enough to overcome the host and transform them into a savage beast. If I recall, Velvet's really close to her breaking point at Meirchio and could turn Phi into a monster if he stuck around her for too long. Because it's so intertwined with their being, purifying them means death.

I always actually thought that the reason Ludger died for Elle wasn't just to save her but also because a world without both his bro and her was one he didn't want to live in.

Attached: 1548129455470.jpg (1328x2048, 220K)

The Lord of Calamity is basically just living malevolence they can't be purified because they're way too far gone.

Zestiria is an unfinished game, if you really want to see the crap that they couldn't include you have to read the guidebooks and the novel and manga.

Hmm. An interesting way to keep them focused.

Attached: CmWwCVlUEAAuD0k.jpg large.jpg (1200x721, 164K)

I'm usually the type to go dig for things if I need to (and even enjoy it) but Zestiria was just done so poorly that I've been too upset with the game to ever bother with. Does the anime also expand on it well?

Attached: C430XJFUYAA2m2x.jpg (800x900, 173K)

Attached: CGLtKdXUsAAyhdV.png orig.png (545x800, 1M)

The anime is it's own thing. It doesn't expand on anything and is also not in line with Berseria either. It's better to just ignore if you want to understand Zestiria.

Sorey is the only Tales MC that is both married and has an actual harem.

quick, post your favorite remixes
REMIXES ONLY
youtu.be/GLdZiczOgH8

Attached: jade-curtiss-tales-of-the-abyss-72.8.jpg (210x240, 16K)

I see, thanks. Maybe one day I'll finally look into the manga and side books.

Attached: x8ltcto2_640.png (640x568, 371K)

Attached: CsuZunbUkAMe78_.png orig.png (900x450, 460K)

use a guide, use cheat engine, especially with the older titles. One of the worst things is how slow the characters move, particularly in Zestria and Berseria. They're all good, but they're all 100+ hours and sometimes the time is really just going places and fighting mobs. if you enjoy that, you'll like the series, I try to avoid the grind.

They're a fun read, the manga I especially recommend if only because it adds context to Sorey and Hedalf's relationship.

let me make this a little more clear, you can fix most of the irritating flaws (like slow run speed) with cheat engine. it's not necessary but these are really long games. even if you avoid the grind.

Ive only played Symphonia, are all these games like 100+ hours, seems like a lot of time dump. Though I guess it only took me so long to do all the things.

Imagine all the family bonding he never got to do

A few off the top:

youtube.com/watch?v=opIZrutO9GI
youtube.com/watch?v=85Fw-pEBI0o
youtube.com/watch?v=MfnKOSIeN6k
youtube.com/watch?v=OC68VoACMA4

You're not wrong about that.

Attached: 65688655_p0.png (1500x1000, 1.19M)

Fight thing is Sorey was always going to turn into a seraph no matter what.

Attached: d2c896fa-9e59-4c4a-9f96-024bc50769c9_base_resized.jpg (724x1024, 259K)

>tfw Lilith has a daughter but she's never ever mentioned anywhere else outside of Destiny 2
>tfw we don't know who's the father
>tfw she doesn't have merch so I can't ever have merch of all the Aileron senpai
Why Namco

Is Symphonia the longest game? Felt like forever to finish it (and I like it). Wanted to play another Tales that's just as lengthy as that

Shut up cumbraìn

i think vesperia is the longest

I might try finishing Vesperia with an infinite TP cheat. Spamming the orange gels is just not fun and it actively detracts from the combat.

Equip a Taunt skill and OVL Taunt 2 and repeatedly taunt in OVL1 to refill your whole TP meter

Attached: 1545384667738.jpg (600x500, 129K)

my problem with Tales games, which is why I always grab CE, is the cooking system. This is just so necessary for a lot of reasons, especially if you're trying to plat/100% the game. You have to cook every battle and that shit is outrageously expensive. Aside from increasing the speed, i'm always keeping myself fully stocked on food items. I won't touch combat cheat unless I have to do a second or third playthrough because it's not really necessary imo. Vesperia is a little different though since early game can be very, very difficult (and annoying) if you're playing a fresh game on a higher difficulty.

How i wish more people played innocence r

Attached: Dsx9xN-U4AAAdDR.jpg (500x688, 46K)

Agreed, phantasia was my first tales game and my first step into jrpgs. Story was pretty good and had a bunch of sidequests and dungeons
>also chester was a bro and archie was a hoe it was never meant to be

Is Hearts R any good? I wanted to start with Xillia, but i don't have a PS3 anymore and my PC is a pile of shit so i can't emulate any of the PS2 games, all i have is a vita.

It's fine. I enjoyed it for what it is.

The battle system is more focused on aerial combat than most Tales games and everyone feels nice to use in some degree. As far as everything else. I like Heart's cast (Even if the translation kinda muddled things up) and the music can be grating. The remake graphics look kinda cheap. The actual plot is whatever even for Tales. But despite everything I still would suggest Hearts R

Attached: 1535461159407.jpg (665x939, 117K)

Attached: __edna_tales_of_series_and_tales_of_zestiria_drawn_by_rod_rod4817__10ad7013abbf8a832b27fedc13111e8e. (400x762, 272K)

>Haruko Momoi voice
>Can learn ALL ad-skills (Asch is the only other member that can)
>Light/dark spells that wreck shit
>Can heal with Lucky w/fon chamber
>Has MA extension AND an additional extra MA used with Lucky

Nope, user. She's pretty good.

Vesperia is great all around, thats probably the best game to start with. All the 2D games are great as well

Dying moon crashes the game if you use it on bosses though, i don't know if it got fixed in the 3DS port but i doubt it.

Her voice is incredibly erotic but I wish she wasn't so slow and clunky.

>all battle-related reasons
Yeah I'm not surprised

Attached: 1561683838077.png (600x707, 462K)

I'm playing vesperia right now and the biggest drag is the fucking equip weapons to learn skills mechanic that's never been good in any game that's used it. I have to use weapons with 100 less attack then the best one I have because every character has a backlog of 5 weapons with skills to learn.

I've read about that one, but never had it happen to me. Not even once... Same for the Ion extension.
I run the undub version though, dunno if that was something Asmodean fixed.

Yeah, she starts off pretty slow. Using AGL capacity cores can help alleviate that a bit.

>Voice
Also forgot: her interactions in the game's skits are among the best (at least when playing with the voices via undub).

Add in Tales of the Abyss, and you basically have all the good ones made in the modern era. If you can get over the older ones being extremely dated, they are also good. Don't play anything after Vesperia, they are all bad.

>that fucking music
youtube.com/watch?v=-SHM-7qMiDs

>tfw played so much vesperia that i have the music turned off
>except for the flynn duel

Attached: 1552629589400.png (400x500, 12K)

I love this series, but that is not true. There are deffinetly some duds that aren't worth the time.

>oh man, I am so gonna kick your ass!

>no, i'm gonna kick YOUR ass

Attached: 6beb36fb3885f4d64a80ed302096e0cd.jpg (550x867, 62K)

One day I'll finish her game.

>Ctrl + F, type "Innocence"
Thank god I'm not the only one. Innocence has by far my favorite scenario and character designs, just a shame the only way to play it in english is through fan translation.

Attached: Hermana_Cut-in.png (850x471, 535K)

Oh yeah, me and my little brother played Symphonia on gamecube and we had well over 100+ hours on it.

I really loved it, and I still can't believe I got it for $10 at best buy.

I'm playing Phantasia, after that i want to play the one where she appears, girl wearing only a bodysuit with jacket is my weakness.

Attached: 60091181_p0.jpg (716x1011, 173K)

Finish her game.

Attached: 20190707030802_1.jpg (1920x1080, 186K)

Then at least you'll be used to weird, clunky, and highly flawed combat systems (and a lack of voice acting) when you get into Legendia

Attached: 1565160646761.jpg (1229x1548, 787K)

I have to get through Vesperia and Abyss first, and a couple new game+.

Attached: 1540680130833.png (640x960, 88K)

The last and only Tales I played was Symphonia and that was when was released ( 2004? ), so I'll get used to.

And totally forgot there's a sequel of Symphonia.

Attached: 69771027_p0.jpg (680x840, 229K)

Oh, and here's sailor Chloe

Attached: 1563943015574.jpg (744x1052, 573K)

Attached: 20190701213931_1.jpg (1920x1080, 224K)

The only good thing came out in Zestiria. Shame everything is garbage.

Attached: 1554700984609.jpg (1200x1600, 737K)

Why Asuna is in this ?

All the other girls are good except Alisha. And don't you dare say anything mean about Rose!

Attached: 20190701220359_1.jpg (1920x1080, 221K)

Don't you have an assassins guild to go run Rose

Rose is perfect daughter material.

Attached: mpc-hc64_2019-08-08_01-20-40.jpg (1920x1080, 298K)

SAO and the Rays crossover
Colette has a Yuuki outfit and her mirage arte is Mother’s Rosario

Attached: CA647CCD-E184-4156-9BA3-2B9E3AEAFEEC.jpg (1648x2048, 501K)

Play Eizen's game and his little sister's game

Attached: 1488660373666.png (537x795, 432K)

She's so tiny.

Attached: mpc-hc64_2019-08-07_00-37-16.jpg (1920x1080, 363K)

The one's I've played and liked were Eternia, Symphonia, Abyss, Graces F, Vesperia, and Hearts R. I personally hated Berseria but a lot of people seem to like it, so I dunno.

Attached: 1547941296197.png (1001x747, 663K)

Abyss has best story
Vesperia has best gameplay

Attached: 1413865470421.gif (268x304, 1.17M)

Attached: D-dFRnLUcAMjZFw.jpg (1024x576, 81K)

>we'll never get cute Eizen and Edna interactions

Attached: 1534481575297.gif (500x375, 998K)

Symphonia > Vesperia > Abyss

most people would agree these are the top 3 games in the series at the least

best girl

Attached: marta.jpg (660x932, 389K)

this whole post is bait and no one fell for it, i feel like i'm losing my mind

Attached: 1416310507869.jpg (558x515, 111K)

Has there been another Tales series with that much death? Even in Zestiria there were tons of side quests of just people and especially children dying. I know Berseria was specifically about dealing with loss but the series is just stained in death.

Attached: 20190804020811_1.jpg (1920x1080, 244K)

Hey remember that part in Abyss where you watch a little boy and his dad slowly sink into acid

Attached: 1547501831308.jpg (210x240, 19K)

I feel like talesfags are the best posters on Yea Forums, like we may have some shitposting and arguing but it's almost always interesting conversations with really good taste all around

Her relationship with the MC in that game is so fucked up that it's kind of interesting

Don't jinx it, saying shit like that attracts shitposters like moths to the flame

Attached: 1541554956658.jpg (600x600, 108K)

youtu.be/AePWX9snqxs
inb4 >mobage don't count

God, I love these siblings.

Attached: 1445890084286.png (600x342, 111K)

twitter.com/talesof_therays/status/1159752279169232897?s=20

Attached: EBhEhj1UIAA0lIb.jpg (800x690, 120K)

Attached: EBhEhj2U0AAPsFe.png (894x502, 529K)

Attached: EBhEhj9UEAAUhPC.png (894x502, 501K)

Graces f was my favorite

tales of rays did abyss? wow based

Attached: tumblr_ml5ppsCugA1s923cno1_400.gif (288x288, 21K)

Attached: 1f88200d22ff4ba4cf6387f1842b27ce.jpg (1250x716, 383K)

this
/thread should have ended here

Attached: 88b10900c679ca0c00fb89093ba625ac.jpg (500x441, 151K)

berseria made me despise the series
all you waifufags need clinical help

I wanna fuck Lilith

They do every game but they're fanservice is really good.

Is Abyss the one with a 3ds port?
I see a lot of recommendations for that game here, but the one I played in 3ds had a really simple combat that bored me.

Abyss was the 3DS game, yes. The series is usually button mashy and on account of many games being so long can take its sweet time adding enough attacks and combos to get interesting. If you thought it was nothing after a little while you can probably rule out several of the other games.

Boku wa Naizuri's Magilou Tits

Attached: tumblr_pbwjg9fgqk1x8ltcto3_1280.png (740x1038, 396K)

PHONONS?!?! BEST GAME EVER

youtube.com/watch?v=f7-YptNv3KE

Was going to post "I am very the model of the modern major general" but I can't seem to find it.

Attached: tumblr_nj1ru0Tc1B1r8x55lo1_r3_400.png (400x225, 127K)

Only looking at the girls was what made me get Zestiria, and then leaving me sad and disappointed with how Edna ended up being in that game.

Zestiria is literally for fags though

Attached: 6C3C518F-54FF-47CA-ABA9-AD116A9E8C80.jpg (245x226, 30K)

Favorite part was how ff7 stole the character design for Claude and mint for cloud and aerith

Chloe is so great. Too bad they’ll never do a remake of Legendia to iron out the flaws

Attached: 846E6840-51BA-49BD-B585-7DA270B18BD2.jpg (1200x1693, 489K)