How do you feel about being able to name a character who has a canon name? Is it pointless or do you like it?

How do you feel about being able to name a character who has a canon name? Is it pointless or do you like it?

Attached: 3-bottoms-1020.png (512x384, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VbcEorN8g64?t=1483
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I just give it its canon name.

Only when the canon allows me to give them a name like frog and robo

>game gets remade
>naming function is removed because of voice acting

It's kind of stupid when the main character has to be referred to as "that guy" for the entire series.

Even in cases like Fallout where everyone calls you "The Courier" or "Vault Hunter"?

Depends. Is he an actual character or is he a contextless mute who only represents the player and has no in story relevance? If the former I leave the default name, otherwise I have fun with it

I like how SMT IVA did it. I wasn't going to name any MC but I would always give them a nickname.

That's a little better. In those games you're developed into something of a mythic personality. I'm talking about something like Final Fantasy X, where nobody in the party ever treats him like a unique individual...brudda.

I have severe autism, and this dilemma bothers me immensely.

I prefer the canon names, the one exception I make is Pokemon, though the only characters who have shown up past the first game with changeable names anyway are Red and Blue.

Butts
Name everyone Butts

It's fun for replayability. One day I might do what that one guy did and do a Sephiroth only run of VII

Attached: IMG_20140904_120129.jpg (3264x2448, 1.43M)

i judge you if you don't name red xiii 'nanaki' and everybody else 'sephiroth' after your first run

>that kid that changed the main characters name to his name

I'm fine with it, the more options the better.

Did you call?

Attached: Dancer_V.PNG.png (248x355, 103K)

Only time I'm wildly against it is in Zelda. Naming Link something other than Link is the most pleb thing you can do.

Attached: Name_Registration_(Ocarina_of_Time).png (800x600, 275K)

If they have a canon name that the game defaults to, I use it. If the game doesn't default to it, like the SMT games, I use John Smith. In Dragon Quest I use my real name, and in Pokemon I name every pokemon something vaguely related to what they are. If none of that applies, I usually name him ASS

What about characters you don't know if they are actually mute or not like in Zettai Hero Project? youtu.be/VbcEorN8g64?t=1483

If you don't want to copy-paste the link, you can go at 24:43.

It's stupid to include the option qwhen the game has clearly established characters with their own personality and backstory, and even dumber when the characters' canon names are filled in by default and you have to actively erase the name to fill in your own.

>Lonk, Lenk, Mah Boi

more games need to do the wwe style of tons of available nicknames that are voiced

>lunk, I've just finished washing speedwag!

>not naming him dink

I always leave the default name.
I guess it's harmless if some people like that function.