I very rarely see the original Xbox console discussed here. Why is that? We have threads for the Gamecube, PS2...

I very rarely see the original Xbox console discussed here. Why is that? We have threads for the Gamecube, PS2, and even Dreamcast, but I've never seen any threads talking about this thing. I never personally played it, but there must be some people who grew up with it, right? So, let's discuss the Xbox. What problems do you think it had? Did it have any underrated exclusives? What'd you enjoy about it?

Attached: xbawx.jpg (1125x1500, 224K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-Aluminum-Alloy-Thumbsticks-Cap-Joystick-Replacement-Case-for-PS-4-Xbox-One/312015658588?hash=item48a5951e5c:m:mSUDmmo38bddYxR8Pg1ggPQ
deviantart.com/hajiki/art/The-Xbox-games-25949345
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Conker Live and Reloaded, Halo 1 & 2, many good exclusives.

My father got one for free while he was on Iraq, and it still fires up, no problems, as it was thrown at him by some Iraqi child.

That's a crazy story for how you got your Xbox. Why did the kid throw it at him?

Out of the way, faggots, make way for the best game on the original xbox

Attached: 220px-RiddickButcherBay.jpg (220x268, 20K)

it had halo i guess

and halo 2

There's nothing to discuss about it. It's a shit console with shit games. There's a reason why it's associated with "gamer girls."

Like with the 360 it was multiplat king having the very best versions of the best multiplat titles however Yea Forums is all about the 'wars and exclusives so the word "multiplat" is like fucking holy water to these corporate loving vampire assholes.

>There's a reason why it's associated with "gamer girls"
What? I've never heard that said once.

He's bullshitting for replies. muh angry game hatur talk

Nobody owned one

mechassault 1 and 2

It's pretty clear that most people here were not even born or babies in that era. Plus there is a sttong anti xbox theme here I'm old and had every console that gen. Xbox was easily my most played.

It had exclusives though including the most important ones.

Every console has at least one exclusive user but it's not the reason to own an XBOX/360. They were great for multiplats and that is where their true strength is.

Are you fucking retarded? Ninja gaiden and halo 1 + 2 were the reason people even bought xbox.

People buying a console for an exclusive does not make it the reason to own said console. I bought mine because of Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore are you putting that on the same level? no and you shouldn't. Each system has a thing it's known for and the XBOX and the 360 is known as a multiplat machine.

This is pretty cool and Crimson Skies is pretty badass.

Attached: Brute_Force_Coverart.png (220x312, 159K)

There weren't a lot of good games. Stranger's Wrath, Panzer Dragoon, Blue Dragon, that's pretty much it.

dummy

Mechassault and the one game that took place on water and you fought with boats.

Thoughts on Rareware's Xbox games? I haven't heard much about Kameo.

i have both the crimson skies PC game and the xbox game "road to high revenge" and its nowhere near as good as the pc one. still fun though.
you're thinking of blood wake.
i liked it but it was really just twisted metal but with botes.

>not mentioning the KINO that is crazy taxi 3

>sega GT
>Jet set radio future
>munch's odyssey
>midnight club

I bought mine for jsrf and oddworld. The xbox had a lot of reasons to buy besides multiplats especially after xbox live came out and yes Halo was the pure reason most people bought an xbox. Stop talking out of your ass. There is not too many reasons to own one now though

I still use mine for games from that era that had an Xbox release. The Xbox version always performs vastly better and 90% of the time runs at 480p so it scales beautifully to my 4k set.

You cant compete with the PS2 library but when somebody is like "I am going to willfully subject myself to Soul Calibur 2 on PS2" it's like nah homie I'll drive myself to the gas chamber thanks tho.

Shenmue 2 port might be the standout thing for me.
Panzer Dragoon, Blinx, Jet Set Radio, Project Gothem, Munch's, Ninja Gaiden, Blood Wake, and for some strange reason, Midtown Madness 3 - all felt like a new gen had come.

Demos were still a proper thing back then as well. Sudeki, Fuzion Frenzy, Gun Valkyrie, Mechassault, good B tier games back when not everything had to be either AAA / F2P / Indie.

Attached: Project_Gotham_Racing_Coverart.png (256x363, 175K)

not much to discuss really

Halo and 2 are the most popular reasons people HAD a fucking xbox. ninja gaiden was amazing, otogi kicked ass, but beyond a few others, most of it was PC also, so it was like why not get these on PC?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

PS2 soul calibur is best?
excluding shit tier 3rd party version characters, no one was playing it on gamecube or xbox, assholes AHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

At the time, a pc that ran like xbox was double the price.

It was the best option for multiplatform games, between system link, 4 player local coop, and best performance between all the consoles without the lag/memory loading issues (Gamecube) or long load times and hardware faults (PS2).
>Timesplitters 2/Future Perfect
>Metal Arms
>sports shit

Holy shit you father survived?

It was cool. I was PC gaming at the time, but had one for my kid. We used to play Mech Assault and MX Unleashed co-op. My guilty pleasure when the kids weren't around was Morrowind.

After my kid grew up a bit, I did the soft mod and threw in a larger HDD. Put all of his kid movies and games on the drive. Poor thing barely can encode the movies adequately haha, but he used the shit out of it.

Kid is 16 now. We still fire it up occasionally and bust out some MX Unleashed.

$600? holy shit, so expensive!

Ooh damn actually it was three or four times more come to think of it. Thanks for making my point zoomzoom

I actually really like the Indiana Jones game for it, the emperors tomb. That big ass crocodile gave me the creeps. PC version has a bug late in the game that always makes it crash and since there is no xbox emulator I guess I'll never beat it.

I also like modern dragons lair on Xbox, it's kinda shit but fun if you give it a chance.

What is crazy taxi 3 like?

what's there to talk about? the xbox had no games. at least people aren't delusional about it like they are with the nogaems 64.

i remember halo and halo 2 obviously. i really miss mechassault, wish they would make a sequel

Metal Wolf Chaos is an amazing game for it. Buy now on Steam (tm) and use discount code linus.

>the xbox had no games

just Halo 2.

the Halo 2 LAN party wars in the summer of '05 I will never forget

I bought one exclusively to play a copy of steel batallion I got my hands on
No ragrets

Geometry Wars.

based

xbox story time
>2003
>chilling out in my room playing JSRF
>little bro walks in
>"Can I watch?"
>yeah whatever
>walks over to the futon
>his foot catches the controller cord
>oshit
>The Duke(TM) doesn't slip thanks to my death grip but the console gets dragged towards the edge of the coffee table
>ofuck
>jump up to save it but it's too late, the balance has been broken
>the xbox audibly whistles as it falls like a Tallboy dropped from a Lancaster
>the force of the massive console hitting the wood panel floor causes a massive shockwave that devastates the entire continent of Antarctica
>this event came to be known as the Second Impact

>Sega GT
my nigger, 2002 was the OG comfy jap shitbox racing experience. Online added even more japcrap but unfortunately the model quality was less consistent

Attached: sega_gt_2002.jpg (353x500, 24K)

Lads I'm still waiting for my fucking USB adapter so I can play PC games with this thing. Could only find it on Ebay for real cheap but it takes three fucking months to arrive and no tracking number provided. Fuck China.

Attached: IMG_6963.jpg (4032x3024, 2.88M)

nigga thats a bootleg

How can you tell?

Got one in 5th grade when it came out.

Enjoyed halo 1 and especially multiplayer with 2 me and my cousin owned so many guys and made so many XBL friends.

Mechassault was really fun online too.

The most fun however was splinter cell multiplayer chaos theory and Pandora tomorrow. My cousin and I would team up and have an absolute blast raping the other team as spies or mercs. I miss being able to trash talk like the original Xbox live playing as a spy running up behind a merc grabbing him from behind trash talking your opponent since they let you speak to the enemy when you grabbed them from behind then finally snapping their neck

>It's a Forza Motorsport episode

>odd ridges on joystick pads
>funky-looking buttons
>came from fucking China

Xbox had breakaway cords tho i did break a ps1 like that

because i have exactly the same bootleg, it is awesome and still in better condition than the original x box controllers

Nigga.

>odd ridges on joystick pads
I swapped them for aluminum thumbsticks because the rubber ones were fucked from use
>funky-looking buttons
Don't really know what you mean.
>came from fucking China
I ordered the XBOX TO USB ADAPTER from China for like $2 you stupid faggot, the controller I got used online for $25 from some dude close to me.

Attached: 1549033821249.jpg (720x632, 26K)

My toe jam and earl 3 disc won’t play any level from the ice world. I’m stuck and that’s my problem.
But I remember a battery leak or something to do with the system’s clock

>console so irrelevant no one cares about emulating it
inb4 muh architecture. If people can get themselves to progress on emulating the PS3 then there's zero excuse

My neighbor had one. giant ass controller. we only played Dead or Alive 3. it was pretty cool

still, PS2 and GameCube reigned supreme. I gotta give it to Microsoft though for entering the vidya world like that though, as the 360 would be the best system the gen after (at least at the start of the gen).

Bullshit. Post it or GTFO. This controller is original as far as I know, even has (had before I opened it) the warranty sticker

Attached: IMG_4309.jpg (3715x2787, 2.05M)

its under a ton of fucking boxes i aint searching it the label went silver colored of so much sweat and playing

Actually there's a sequel for it that's also on the old xbox called MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf. I have the special edition and it's pretty fun, it also came with a second disc with a demo for Voodoo Vince and a documentary about the development of MA2.

halo never really impressed me when the dreamcast had quake 3 arena, with free online crossplay with pc and mouse/keyboard support.

Aluminum thumbsticks?
I could really use those whered you find them?

post your collection xbros

Attached: collection.jpg (949x724, 258K)

Why y'all niggas always want to be spoonfed?
ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-Aluminum-Alloy-Thumbsticks-Cap-Joystick-Replacement-Case-for-PS-4-Xbox-One/312015658588?hash=item48a5951e5c:m:mSUDmmo38bddYxR8Pg1ggPQ
>inb4 b-but m-muh metals from China contain lead!
Been using them since 2015 and I'm fine you goddamn faggots.

Attached: 7d27699139d53f9a594b144809b529dbdb74ca658351abab1aac9ac17bfd637a.jpg (3200x2400, 1.63M)

what? i always see threads about it.

Playing Bloodrayne on it rn. Pretty fun. Gunvalkyrie and Breakdown are fantastic.

>No Kingdom Under Fire Heroes
Fuck you user, you're missing out on the best RTS Hack n Slash Action Adventure game

That’s because no one here actually plays videogames anymore. Anyways, does anyone know if Phantom Dust is any good?

Can't post images but only thing i have left is outrun 2, jet set radio future and the thing. Also cool orange memory card they gave us for beta testing xbox live

Thanks. I looked for replacement sticks a year ago when I got an og xbox and hacked it, cause my sticks were gross as fuck. Couldn't find nothin, and didn't know ps4 stick replacements would work til now. Awesome

the remaster of it is free on the windows 10 store or xbone if you want to try it out. don't need xbox live gold or anything to download it.

Because most of them are dead due to a melting transistor

>have a hacked one
>literally have never finished a single game on it
got any exclusive recs xbros? I don't like shooters

Attached: gangplank galleon stops.jpg (480x276, 17K)

Get on my level scrub

Attached: 3C71A662-8B5E-492B-AEE8-F7C2EED29599.jpg (4032x3024, 2.26M)

>and didn't know ps4 stick replacements would work til now
They don't. The hole is a little too deep so they brush against the thumbstick potentiometer. You have to place small pieces of paper in the hole until it fits correctly. Same thing if you want to use them in a PS2/PS3 or Gamecube controller. They work fine for Xboner and Wii U though.

if that was true then you wouldn't be able to get them for less than 40-50 bucks on ebay. that problem is vastly overblown.

>steel battalion
do you have the controller for it? if so post your set up for it if you have one.

Huh may as well. I downloaded it onto my Xbox out of curiosity.

It’s boxed up.

Blue Dragon was 360

this isn't even your collection you nigger

deviantart.com/hajiki/art/The-Xbox-games-25949345

Blue dragon was 360

Attached: IMG_20190808_1927017_rewind.jpg (1600x1200, 596K)

It was more than double the price actually. The cheapest you could find a Geforce3 Ti200 in 2002 was $200. It was basically the same chip as the Xbox GPU but without shared RAM. The reason I know this is because I bought that dumb card in 2002 and that’s what it cost. I bought a shitty motherboard with integrated Ethernet which actually was not common at that point (but it became common from then on) for cheap and an Athlon 2000. And 512MB RAM and a 40GB HD. It was $800. Over $1,000 once I added the DVD drive but it was a writer.

Even on its lowest settings and res and after updated special drivers, Doom 3 barely ran. The retail game was better than the slideshow demo but nowhere near the Xbox. The Xbox version was optimized and had modified levels though with Xbox-specific assets. Half Life 2 also ran worse than the Xbox version. I remember regretting this build for years, especially because the Xbox was better.

Syeel Battalion is fun, but challenging as hell. Found a green button controller, both games, original manual and strategy guide on fucking craigslist for 120. Definatley the best vidya purchase i made.

I was exaggerating but the problem isn’t overblown. Open any of those up with the problem transistor and it’s probably already leaked

Mine is a 1.3 model. Bought mine on ebay last year. Transistor wasnt leaking yet but i yanked it anyways.

no images, just an HDD now
i used to have it all, even Steel Battlion CIB with the fucking online expansion disc.

what's the best way to connect my OG xbox to a 4K TV? i don't think i even have the power cable anymore and it was the one microsoft had to mail for older xboxs

dude, doom 3 ran FOR NO MAN.
don't you remember all those fucks on PC forums not being able to even touch max settings with the best shit out at the time?

i got mine from 2nd and charles for $40 when it was sitting on their shelf in the back since like 2016. it was $250, but i said it was sitting so long, what can you do on the price? they went back, asked a manager and just said $40.

granted this was at like 10PM or something, so that might have had something to do with it.

The Xbox controllers had breakaway cables, you faggot retard.

just use rubber caps, they are cheap and you dont need to open the controller.

How do I go about changing the HDD in my xbox to a better one? I had a buddy mod it for me like 10 years ago but the standard hard drive is still the one in it. I've just been using burned discs to play games but I'd rather transfer that stuff over and launch off the HDD instead.

XBOX is great but it's sorely lacking on games you can't play elsewhere unfortunately. I wish there was good emulation just for Splinter Cell Double Agent (I played the PS2 version many times but it's not the same for fucking obvious reasons).
I remember getting jealous as fuck of my friend's XBOX and Halo + Splinter Cell + Doom 3 + GTA Vice City with custom radio songs from the HDD in which he'd put Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Baltimora (oooooaoaoaoaoh JUNGLE LIFE) and Desireless in it, absolute based lad. I wanna go back.
Based and Shiv pilled.

Attached: rarefrogman.png (300x250, 15K)

Good idea, since the dvd drive eventually will just stop working. If it's a Thomson it probably did already.
You need to get your xbox's HDD key first. Since the system works, simply use unleashX or some other dash in order to dump the HDD key and the full EEPROM while you're at it.
Then, you'll need a PC with an IDE channel on it so that you can boot an XboxHDM CD/usb drive. With that you can set the password to your new hard drive so that it'll work.

An alternative would be to use a modchip or flash a custom BIOS (if possible on your model) to eliminate the need for a locked HDD from the start.
There's also the option of using SATA drives with an adapter, but I'm not sure if the lock thing works, so it might require you to modchip/flash.

Also, obligatory mention of Xbox maintenance: REMOVE THE CLOCK SUPERCAPACITOR NOW (unless you got a 1.6 model, the one with a chip that says "Xcalibur" on it.)

>not throwing the xbox immediately back at the child on a reflex to avoid getting blown to bits by the most obvious booby trapped object ever
Yeah this doesn't add up.

Attached: 1529034100970.png (337x374, 220K)

Attached: 4748667307285423574.jpg (2576x1932, 808K)

look up a softmod tutorial

I have the blue one of those

purely anecdotal but I opened up 7 xboxes this year and none of them showed any sign of leaks.

Phantasy Star Online Episode 1+2

I think the capacitor was already removed by my buddy who modded it because my xbox asks for the date/time everytime it's powered on (remember I had this thing for over a decade and it still works so it's probably not leakage)
anyway I'll look into that, the disc drive does still work but I didn't know that they also eventually stopped working.

What if that's his deviantart?

I remember when my parents got one for christmas 2003 and i was so happy to be playing jet set radio future and halo. Then my parents got me sonic heroes a week later since it came out in january 2004. Then i eventually got pso, super monkey ball deluxe, and panzer dragoon orta...as well as many other games. But the point is, the xbox made me the segafag i am today and ill always cherish the memories with it, single player and multiplayer

Any system that deals with optical media is eventually going to fail either in the mechanical (motor, stepper, rail, etc) or optical (lens, laser) part. It's just that the Thomson drives from Xboxes seem to be more prone to failure (they were the first type of drive used in manufacturing. Later they used Samsung and Philips).
Using HDD instead will give you faster loading times too, so it's a big plus.

Lots of good memories with this console, awesome games, I fuckin lived on Fable.
It was also one of the first mod projects I did with my dad, we put movies, games and emulators on it. Ah good times.