Going to play Final Fantasy 9 for the first time. What am i in for?

Going to play Final Fantasy 9 for the first time. What am i in for?

Attached: garnet-zidane-steiner-and-vivi-final-fantasy-ix-fan__aHR0cHM6Ly9zLW1lZGlhLWNhY2hlLWFrMC5waW5pbWcuY29 (640x800, 96K)

A fantastic first disc followed by disappointment because the game isn't finished.

Not this shit again.

Attached: 1560221360180m.jpg (1024x819, 75K)

Do not attempt to steal the flute from the big guy.
I tried for 5 hours. I rage quit, haven't touched the game for 2 weeks.
Stealing in this game in general is bullshit.

A good time
I think you might be autistic, user

Oh, it's way worse than Xenogears in terms of the quality gap because the entire first disc is good instead of half of it, and the following discs are actually worse and full of gameplay instead of having even better writing but no gameplay.

Make sure you get to Memorial Hall before 12 hours in game time or you'll miss Excalibur II. This game has lots of missables.

The writing drops the ball hard after the first disc. The density drops by a mile, characters stop being relevant, shit just kind of comes and goes as the plot desires, and it just feels padded after a bit.

I love the beginning and ending of 9, and I had fun with the middle, but discs 2 and 3 straight up didn't get enough time and polish.

A precious boy who is in a near constant state of emotional turmoil.

Attached: veev.png (500x500, 265K)

Good story, lovable characters, fantastic backdrops and music, and all of that occasionally grinding to a halt so you can spend hours playing a chocobo hot and cold mini-game. Not one of the more replayable games due to lack of character customization, but I envy you being able to experience it for the first time. Also it has probably the most satisfying ending of any FF game.

Ignore this user. Take your time and enjoy the game on your first playthrough. The sword isn't that good or important to justify all the exploration you miss out on.

>Just got to Lindblum
>5 hours of playtime
Yeah, not happening

Attached: pkakqkaslulz.jpg (1000x1545, 286K)

Atrocious load times and very very slow combat.
The remaster fixes some of this, but without a speed up option you're going to spend at least a half hour in battle transitions on the first disc alone.
Rest of the game is gud even if the wheels fall off the wagon after disc 1.

You have autism. The first playthrough should be about exploration and enjoying everything first.

The best party member you'll ever meet if you play them right and eat as many enemy's as you can to learn all the blue magic.

Attached: quina.jpg (119x150, 6K)

vivi is cute and I want to protect him

For some reason I read this to the tune of show me your genitals.

Attached: 880aa97593f2ef8fcad0628ed565982b.jpg (252x349, 22K)

9 is easily the worst in the series, prepare for disappointment.

This. The game could have been amazing, but they were working on way too many products at the same time. Including that awful movie. If 9 got the attention that 7 did, it easily would be the best game in the series. As it is, I think its really mediocre and overrated. Good style, bad substance.

How old is Zidane?

The best story, atmosphere and main character in the whole series.

Vivi a cute

Fuck, not legal then

What about it is unfinished?

Is every fucking final fantasy game rushed to you guys?

4 and 5 were completed on-schedule, clearly. There aren't major bumps in the plot, there's a clear narrative line.

6 was obviously rushed. The WoR is an absolute plot-stopping shitshow, probably the worst FF has every been treated barring lockouts like FF8 disc 4.

7 was completed on schedule. Great game, best in the series.

8 suffers from the aforementioned disc 4/post-compression world. Imagine saving over your old file there and finding out you can't do ANY of the game's sidequests.

9 tries to do too many things with too little vision. It's boring. It's a step backward for the franchise. It's a loading screen simulator.

Attached: 1511850835441.jpg (291x307, 64K)

I just want to start on a game but everyone's telling me every ff game story shits itself in the last half.

Only played Tactics series and XV and bits of 7. I really like the aesthetic of XV and VIII but well....

kinda mad they'll never do a modern final fantasy game again and the only ones we did get are apparently bad.

IX is actually quite well thought out from the start up until end disc 3. It's only disc 4 that suffers a little because the final dungeon comes up slightly random and of course, Necron.

VIII is the most underrated in the series, but like all FFs, you have to take it on its own terms. It's like if Kojima made an FF, sort of.

It's not that IX is unfinished or didn't get enough attention, the game just sucks. It's frontloaded and there's a reason whenever anyone talks about it all they talk about is the first disc. It was a bad game in general and the weakest PSX FF game by a huge margin. In terms of innovation it was a colossal step backwards from VIII, in a lot of ways I feel IX is the chief reason the series as a whole stagnated. They panicked because VIII wasn't unanimously praised the way VII was (VIII was STILL a critical and commercial smash hit, it's just that reviews had some "but" criticism), shat out IX as a nostalgia trip, and decided to play it safe forever.

you learn skills from gaining xp while having items equipped

you often upgrade gear faster then you can learn them

just keep an eye out for skills you want to learn and don't swap out equipment too fast

and there's a lot of secrets you can lock yourself out of early game. Excalibur sidequest; some other stuff.

You're about to play a top 3 jRPG

Attached: 70c4b3af5f77a5e1c207da1e78840c87.jpg (625x744, 93K)

>In terms of innovation it was a colossal step backwards from VIII
It wasn't supposed to be an innovation over VIII, it was to be a throwback game to old school FF
>They panicked because VIII wasn't unanimously praised the way VII was , shat out IX as a nostalgia trip
IX was already in development before VIII was out, so that's total bullshit
>and decided to play it safe forever.
They actually have been actively trying to switch it up in every game post IX, so that's kind of ironic you bring it that way. Also "innovative" steps they've taken since have also backfired.

imagine thinking 8 is better then 9

FF9 vs Xenogears. I loved X as a 20 year old, hated FF9. Opinions haven't reversed, but have moderated in each case.

>FF9
- Obnoxious, one-note characters that I mostly hate.
- But, those characters all get development and consistent treatment by the story (except Freya who is forgotten by the end).
- Awfully slow introduction that takes forever to get to gameplay.
- Slow plot that leaves you rather detached and uninvested in much of it for a long time, despite some amazing cutscenes.
- Constant cutscenes and restrictive linearity. Game takes forever to open up even by FF standards.
- Worst ATB game by far. 15 second intros every fight. Combat often seems sluggish.
- Ultimately, if you stick it out, the final part of the game has some decent gameplay. The ending of the story and how it all wraps up is actually pretty fantastic.
- Final product is a cohesive whole and feels like a realized vision.
- Beatrix
>Xenogears
- Inconsistent but frequently fantastic scene-to-scene character writing and dialog.
- Huge cast of colorful and memorable characters with all manner of growth ranging from subtle to dramatic.
- Fucking mess of a plot. To the extent that some characters can be criticized (eg Citan) it's due to the excessively long and convoluted plot.
- Really cool world-building even if there are too many pointlessly obscure and cryptic comments.
- Shallow gameplay that gets old before the end of Disc 1. Not awful in the same kind of sluggish tedium as FF9, the engine itself is snappy and well-implemented, but there's really not much depth to the systems and it gets boring.
- Random encounters get obnoxious.
- S L O W T E X T S P E E D (get a patch)
- Absolute kitchen sink of story ideas and concepts, feels like a game that literally tried to be everything. Final product is a unique and special but convoluted mess that I'd hesitate to recommend to anyone not ready for some serious bullshit.
- Elly

>7 was completed on schedule. Great game, best in the series.
>

>It's not that IX is unfinished or didn't get enough attention, the game just sucks. It's frontloaded and there's a reason whenever anyone talks about it all they talk about is the first disc.
I fucking hate the first disc that's the most linear and restrictive part of the game, where you just kind of get whisked along through a series of events many of which are supposed to be terrible and dramatic but I can never feel anything for, due to variety of reasons. Such as: none of these events really having anything to do with Zidane anyway, constant frivolity and slapstick juxtaposed with horrific destruction. That scene where Atomos attacks Lindblum is immediately preceded by Vivi falling flat on his face lol.

the best final fantasy

I shit on FF9 every chance I get but I think its ending is the best part of the game and actually somewhat makes the slog worth it a little bit.
Also FF9 has a really great soundtrack, definitely in the top half for Uematsu games.

the combat and load times are terrible. the character designs are pretty chunky and the "missability" is pretty much as bad as it ever could've been, especially with the 12 hour limit for excalibur. the music and graphics are generally awesome, most of the sidequests are damn fun, the card game is even more retarded than in FF8, and that's not an exaggeration, and zidane, along with the rest of the cast, are some of the blandest characters in jrpg history.

>story shits itself in the last half.
A sincere and heartfelt advice:
*NEVER EVER* once listen to faggots who tell you stuff like "story shits itself in the last half". No matter it is videogames, anime, manga, novels or whatever.
It is *NEVER EVER* true. In fact, the vast majority of the times it's true the exact opposite, i.e.: the last half is WAY better than the first.

Nope.there is.
Persona 5
Some of the VNs I've read.
ZTD
There's tons of games that shit the bed in the second half.

best ff
best soundtrack
best cast
the only bad thing is the loading time and battle speed but that can be fixed if you emulate or play the remaster

>- Worst ATB game by far. 15 second intros every fight. Combat often seems sluggish.

Ah cahm ahn.

DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA
DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA
REE REE REE REE
DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA
DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN

DUNNA DUNNA
DUN DUN
DUN DUN
DUN, DUN!

>camera pans wildly around your characters as they load in

DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA
DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA

>ATB bars appear

DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA

>ATBs slooooowly load

DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA

>enemy team is a single imp

Final Fantasy IX.

Attached: dsp-slam.gif (400x247, 1022K)

Isn't Zidane literally the worst thief in the entire franchise?