How do I get into autistic MilSimming?

How do I get into autistic MilSimming?

Pretty sure I have the autistic part down but doesn't getting into the actual game require like 50 mods and finding groups (not even servers) outside of the game or how does this even work?

Attached: arma3 wwii mods.jpg (1280x720, 260K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yb38-kBgrMo
youtube.com/watch?v=r1o2qjCAY64
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've seen videos where they have like 100s of people on both sides of a large scale map doing anything from high conmand to being in tanks or destroyers to being on foot. Where does all this happen?

Example this is amazing
youtube.com/watch?v=Yb38-kBgrMo
Actually being in a bomber crew with other people carrying out missions and shooting at other people in planes.

or this
youtube.com/watch?v=r1o2qjCAY64

>Are sessions scheduled?

Is ARMA 2 or 3 better?

3, no contest. Way better engine with a lot more features and all the ARMA 2 content has been ported to 3.

Modwise?

Again, ARMA 3, every decent mod I can think of for ARMA 2 has been ported to 3.

Are milsims dead?

not dead, but niche. The line is more blurred now between arcadey but hardcore and more realistic milsims. Like between RS2, Squad, Hell Let Loose, PS, or Arma3

What's the differences? I see people goofing around even in RP realistic milsims.

There's an official units page for arma 3, have you tried that yet?

Squad is pretty good. No mods required and even in public games almost everyone communicates.

Milsimmers are some of the worst people in the Arma community, but if you're up for it, it's easy to do.
Go on the steam forums, then recruitment, then pop a message to one of the people in the same timezone as you. They'll link you to a discord and a workshop collection with all the mods they use. Just download them all then you're set.

Arma 3 is the best for goofing about on account of its sandbox and workshop mod support. Milsimmers can generally be quite anal about it though.

Official units?

I haven't used but it's just a place for any random group to advertise for themselves last I checked.

3 is cancer and ruined the milsim community.

>Go on the steam forums, then recruitment, then pop a message to one of the people in the same timezone as you. They'll link you to a discord and a workshop collection with all the mods they use. Just download them all then you're set
Now that is good advice. I want to give it a try at least. If it's too anal or too autistic (doubt how that's possible as my tolerance can be pretty high) then I'll tone it down for say Squad or something as
said.

More than anything I'm just looking for experiences like

It can be pretty autistic, but is good fun when everything is working together. Best of luck my friend.
Like I said, Arma is the best of the lot but Squad can possibly give you a decent experience with the least trouble.

Tbh the entire genre is pretty silly since it can't do justice to the setting with the current hardware limitations. It's pointless to try and simulate military command(s) or the organization structure with a keyboard and microphone. Not to mention that shooting, especially without aiming down sights, handles like complete dogshit since developers think that you have to either completely limp wrist your rifle unless you're staring down the sights.

Then there's the fact that there's no way to currently simulate movement well beyond leaning left/right and your stances are limited to pre-sets of standing, crouching and proning which completely gimps you most of the time.

All in all the game(s) set in the genre can be fun unless you're playing with those retards that 1) have never served in any military organization but try to larp hardcore 2) some fat boomer ex-mils that are reliving their "glory" days and waving their e-peen at teenagers through a videogame.

Maybe in the near future VR will bring milsimming to new heights.

It would help with immersion but it won't remove the people who have no idea what they're doing or talking about. Unironically the only way to improve milsimming would be to have the players do some time in a military.

But then again only a few people that have been/currently are in the military want to larp it in a game. I've seen it many times myself when people get to play Steel Beasts or other "official" military mods of Arma.

Are there some tips for someone new to milsim?

I can't wait for a VR sim for say a tank or plane where you are actually sitting in a position's seat and doing the operations for that position (i.e. loader, driver, gunner, bombardier, waist gunner, etc etc) while carrying out operations with a full crew with other fully loaded vehicle against the same on the other side.

Read up on what you're trying to larp and don't be too autistic about it. Avoid people who take it way too seriously like the plague.

Sounds good. I guess my first step now is buy arma 3.

Is there anything with getting the game or it's dlcs or do I not need to DLCs if I'm going to play mods?

Apex is a must have, lots of modded content utilizes it. Other groups may have required dlc beyond apex as well so be sure to check first. Even if you dont get into milsimming playing Dynamic Recon Ops with the boys is always fun.

Attached: 1563974319913m.jpg (1024x700, 113K)

Just get everything if you can, especially when it's cheap. The franchise has been on or at least was on sale a while ago. You can skip the alien and go kart shit since it's pretty useless unless you specifically want to play that.

Try reading the mod community forum(s) to see if there are people just playing the modded base game. It used to be the case a while ago but I can't say anything about the current situation since I haven't properly played modded stuff for about a year now.

Sounds good. I'll wait for a sale with all these hundreds of dollars of DLC then. I'll start reading to prepare until then.

>Even if you dont get into milsimming playing Dynamic Recon Ops with the boys is always fun.

I'm also kind of curious about this. Without super realistic milsimming to still play like an experience of teamwork tactical slow paced shooting/operating vehicle/etc.

Squad is a good middle of the road between casual and milsim. People goof, but teamwork is highly encouraged and common. But you wont find too many RP dudes or actual slow precise milsim dudes.