Is this the greatest console of all time? will it ever be topped?

is this the greatest console of all time? will it ever be topped?

Attached: ps2-hardware-two-column-01-ps4-eu-18nov15.png (708x464, 407K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_Engine
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes. no. the n64 is close but its catalog doesn't even begin to approach the sheer volume and variety of the ps2's. I feel like anyone who doesn't think the ps2 is the goat just didn't play one during that generation

barely touched my ps2 mostly for god of wars while I played and still play my ps3 a lot.

It's funny because although ps2 was the best selling the technical specs were worse than Xbox. It won by being at the right time, having a fantastic marketing campaign and having good exclusives.

I doesn't have an HDMI version, which both sucks and is rather wasteful.

I played PS2. I consider it second best after the SNES.

Of course, if you include BC, the best system is the launch PS3.

spch 39001

2bh I wish Sony made another console just for playing PS1/2/3 games with improved resolution/performance. The PS5 with it's PS4 backcompat can fuck off and be it's own thing.

it is

So... the launch PS3?

I'm still mad.

Attached: dreamcast see through.jpg (1600x1484, 327K)

its weird how this never comes up in console war threads. they removed that feature so they could sell you the same games as "HD remasters" and PSP ports.

why does no one ever call that out?

snes is a good pick too. ridiculous catalog with a ton of variety
i hated the ps3. shit catalog, shit hardware, shit ui. everything about it was an offense to my personal tastes.

Yes, just release that in a slim model with 100% compatibility with all PS1-3 games and doesn't overheat like a motherfucker and it will be GOAT

They removed the feature because people wouldn't stop making fun of it's price point, despite the fact that at the time it dropped, basic ass blu ray players cost over a grand.

I wish i had more time and games back then. I don’t have any interest playing games nowadays. Sigh.......

PS2 classic

Launch PS3 had full BC. The only reason to rate the PS2 higher is if there isn't even a single game that you liked on it. And NieR is pretty fucking awesome.

Let us use DS4 controllers, too. It sucks when I have to go back to the DS3. It's one of the reasons I picked up a PSTV on ebay for 25 bucks, just to play PS Classics using the DS4.

how does that make sense? the PS2 emulation wasnt adding to the production costs or sale price of the PS3

the bluray thing is/was a false economy. the playstation is a games console.no one wanted to pay 600 bux for a console and no one wanted to share their console with their family to watch blurays on. its a great feature sure, but only if its free

Xbox360 has nier too so?

As PS1+PS2? Yeah. Much better than retrocompatible PS3 because that shit will not explode from looking at it.

DS+GBA comes close.

>how does that make sense? the PS2 emulation wasnt adding to the production costs or sale price of the PS3
The launch PS3 wasn't emulating shit. They stuffed an emotion engine inside of it.

Fine, then Demon Souls.

It won by being a cheap DVD player. That’s is what propelled it’s adoption rate by so many people. The rest was a self filling cycle.

>the PS2 emulation wasnt adding to the production costs or sale price of the PS3
As far as I remember it was a CPU simulating the PS2 added to the PS3, not actual emulation

so it was 2 consoles in one case? learn something new every day. thats cool

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_Engine
>Uses
>The primary use of the Emotion Engine was to serve as the PlayStation 2's CPU. The first SKUs of the PlayStation 3 also featured an Emotion Engine on the motherboard to achieve backwards compatibility with PlayStation 2 games. However, the second revision of the PlayStation 3 lacked a physical Emotion Engine in order to lower costs, performing all of its functions using software emulation performed by the Cell Broadband Processor, coupled with a hardware Graphics Synthesizer still present to achieve PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility. In all subsequent revisions, the Graphics Synthesizer was removed; however, a PlayStation 2 software emulator is available in later system software revisions for use with Sony's PS2 Classics titles available for purchase on the Sony Entertainment Network.

>its a great feature sure, but only if its free
Yeah. Here's your copy of MGS4 for the 360. Blu Rays had a lot more space on them.

Attached: mgs4.jpg (640x360, 45K)

Now that’s a good one.

>Launch PS3 had full BC. The only reason to rate the PS2 higher is if there isn't even a single game that you liked on it.
There are other reasons. BC PS3 is rarer, more expensive, the emulation on the PS1 side is worse on all accounts, can't display the original 240p...

You could leave it at the original resolution, or upscale it, with or without smoothing.

That sounds like a you problem.
It initially won because it had better design, better exclusives, and could play DVDs. It stayed because they actually expanded upon its library unlike the Xbox.

Based. I'll never buy a Sony console because these niggers normiefied the industry by killing the Dreamcast. Literally soul vs soulless.

Attached: 1559974456329.jpg (416x274, 34K)

>DVD boxset

fitting

Oh, and those models are famously famous for being prone to error which now obviously would be pretty expensive to repair. A PS2 slim, even with some spotty incompatibilities, is superior by being a safer console with less price.

The PS3 literally can't display 240p, the last desktop console that could do that was the Wii.

No.Yes.

PS2 is without a doubt the best console ever created. It brought so much new shit onto the table. Sony's going to have to make some sort of new disc format and have the PS5 do my fucking taxes and literally suck my dick to beat how successful the PS2 was.

Well, the PS3 had a CPU capable of doing taxes and astronomical shit. Not very fucking good at videogames tho...