Have you ever simultaneously loved and hated a video game?

Have you ever simultaneously loved and hated a video game?

Attached: Doom2_title.png (320x240, 42K)

Level design in this game is fucking ass.
You really can tell it's just something they did to pass the time while Carmack was making the Quake engine.

level design is awful but without it, all the amazing mods/wads wouldn't exist. worth it just for the added monsters and weapons.

Yeah that's the thing, I absolutely love the gameplay and everything people have done with it, but the base game absolutely SHITS ITSELF at Map 12
The Ultimate Doom is a much better game in terms of level design, but it doesn't have all the great stuff that Doom II added (fuck Pain Elementals though, bad idea all-around)

>(fuck Pain Elementals though, bad idea all-around)
Thank you, whose idea it was to make an enemy that spawns annoying shits that can rape your health and waste your ammo if left unattended?

>You really can tell it's just something they did to pass the time
There's even one unused quit message that says
>i'd leave: this is just more monsters and levels. what a load.

Most levels are masterpiece if played with pistolstart.

>cool final boss
>super shotgun
>revenants, mancubi, arachnotrons, ARCHVILES

......But the game just fucking shits at the level design. The only late Doom2 level I like is the factory one, the others are all shit and there isn't a single Doom 2 level that rises above Doom 1's level design. Sucks that a game with all the cool monsters couldn't use them in a nice way, the game only ever uses Arachnotrons as GOTCHA SURPRISE monsters or in hordes with 11 other Arachnotrons, and Mancubi barely ever show up, they use, what, like 8 in the last ten levels? And just like with Arachnotrons they only ever use them to jump you as surprises.

It's a good enemy. It's just not a good DOOM enemy.

Attached: doom chaingun.gif (340x345, 10K)

They wouldn't be so bad if Doom 2 didn't have like 80 of them in every level.

Blame Romero's lazyness and help Peterson's ideas to be better executed

They're actually great as an actual threatening hitscanner that you shouldn't leave alive for long. The only other way to have the same effect with Doom 1's enemies would be to either flood the area with zombies which still wouldn't be a threat or flood the area with shotgunners which would take up so much more space for the same effect. The chaingunner is perfect when used correctly, as in, fuck Plutonia it is actual garbage.

This holy shit. And don't even blame the dated graphics, user made maps looked like actual places while Romero was too busy making nonsense mazes and then calling it 'the refinery' even though it looks nothing like... much of ANYTHING

Doom 2 maps become significantly better if you enable jumping.
Vertical level design requires vertical movement options.

all of the levels that attempt to look like a real place are ass. Most of the beginning levels on the space station and the ones in hell are fine.

Doom2 levels are fine get over it.

Doom 2 is the ultimate better with mods game. The new enemies and SSG are great when used in user created maps.

Attached: oh no oh fuck.webm (640x480, 2.9M)

Been playing Doom on my Switch hacked using GzDoom, not the dogshit Nerve ports. What're the best Doom 2 wads if I was dissatisfied with Doom 2's level design but love the monsters?

Doom 2 the way Id Did. It's like Doom 2 but competent.

Is D2TWID like, just levels, or does it have the thematic level design and story shit of Doom 2?
Like is it just a level pack, or does it still have the Icon of Sin and the intermission texts? Is it a replacement of Doom 2?
Asking because Doom 2's level design would infuriate my brother but if this is just the same game with better levels, I'd like him to play this.

pirate doom is really good
a lot of the great wads are really challenging so they might be difficult on a gamepad but pirate doom is pretty mild

>that webm
The big projectile is not where most of the damage comes from.
Don't hide after shooting the BFG or you'll whiff the shockwave and barely tickle your enemies. Get your dick in there and use it like a shotgun if you want to kill hardier demons.

Attached: 1536792515534.png (450x480, 13K)

Get Scythe 1 and 2.
Some levels can get really absurd in terms of enemy quantity but it's good for the most part.

that makes absolutely no sense but I can tell this is true since sometimes the BFG seems to do absolute shit damage

I was only partially aware of how the BFG works when I recorded that, I tried keeping them on screen when the projectile landed because I recalled something about that being important. I had it about half right.

Reelism and Golden Souls 2 are my absolute favorite mods
Not sure if these would work on the Switch but they definitely work on GZDoom, turn on jump, crouch, and mouselook.
Reelism is like a first-person Smash TV and it's absolutely fucking insane, great fun, even better co-op
Golden Souls 2 is a Mario inspired mod and it's the best first-person platformer ever made

Alpha protocol.

It's a level-by-level remake of Doom 2, using the design philosophies of Id but with the knowledge gained from 20 years of mapmaking in between.

It's basically a remix of Doom 2's levels

Doom 2 has higher highs and lower lows. The first 7 levels are good, and most of the Hell levels are fine too. Doom 1 didn't have that many good maps either.

This also means hugging an enemy's nuts when the BFG shot goes off will deal an assload of damage. You can kill a Cyberdemon in two shots with this tactic.