Game gets darker and scarier as it goes on

>Game gets darker and scarier as it goes on
Reeeeeeee, I want to feel like I'm spreading good and light to the world. The game should change as you save each area. Dark should become light, there should be colour and happiness. I don't want to feel like I'm falling into an endless dark pit over hours of gameplay, I want to ride onto the scene like a knight in shining armour spreading holy light across the land.

Attached: angrydognoises.jpg (800x450, 106K)

I like both themes. Things getting darker as you progress means you're facing stronger challenges each time.

>opening area is bright green with beautiful water and flowers
>you Just Know it's not going to last beyond the first 15 minutes of the game

Attached: 51234123.jpg (700x700, 149K)

That goes against the classic hero's journey almost every plot follows. You have to descend into the darkness and only defeat it and bring back the light after reaching its darkest depths. Things getting better almosy automatically vs. getting worse until you relieve it by defeating the final evil gives no stakes and no catharsis. Also, things getting progressively darker fits with the natural structure of the game getting harder as it progresses, would it make sense for everything to get cheerier as the enemies you fight get deadlier? Most stories are structured this way for a reason.

Attached: 350px-Heroesjourney.svg.png (350x352, 16K)

It's gay. I should be periodically rewarded for defeating evil. If I banish all the monsters from a town, that town shouldn't still be a miserable, depressing shithole. It should be alive and breathing, it should be bright blue skies, vivid greens and dazzling light.

Play Okami, fren.

Attached: battletoads.jpg (564x422, 32K)

Play Drakengard, buddy.

Ok OP....

Give us one example or tell us what you're playing. Or is this another of those "Wah things that never happen in games but I pretend they do and I hate it to fit in" threads?

Who is that, I need to fap.

Jak and Daxter

Are you talking about the first game or the series?

Play Bastion or something

>be 14
>Cave Story releases for the first time on PC
>go in completely blind
>stop playing after getting the worst ending because shit got too depressing

What is bloodborne

The classic hero's journey died alongside The Author in the mid XX century. You get these plots only in the pleb tier trash.

First game

The had something like that in 'The Saboteur'

Unironically Borderlands. You start in the emptiest shithole with nothing but sand in it, then you find better and better places until you reach the rakk hive which has a lush place with lots of life.

remember guild wars 1 user ?
oh man...

Play GTA San Andreas, you get to save hoods from Ballas and other shits like twice.

>Precursor legacy get's dark and scary

Attached: 1540139516290.jpg (500x375, 43K)

>As you progress on the game areas are darker and worse.
>However if you visit previous areas they are full of life and are beautiful thanks to you.

Attached: 1561421521336.png (500x500, 119K)

Play The Saboteur. Districts start as black and white and gain color when you liberate them, it was kino.

It does though.

>Bright greens fields, blue ocean, blue skies
>Muddy brown/grey Island with fire and cloudy skies
>Volcanic ash, depressing looking green hilly area
>Straight up volcano
>Underwater dark purples
>More volcano
>Final level is just lava, cloudy skies, fire, darkness, death and scary

But it's always goofy lava, there's nothing scary or dark about it.

It makes me anxious and uncomfortable and I'm 29

got any examples?

This fucking game.

Attached: off-retrospective-8.jpg (850x479, 59K)

>game starts off light hearted and cutesy, cute happy go lucky cat protagonist with big hat and pants, running around green fields with happy music with his best friend
>grandfather's house is bombed later in the game by secondary antagonist, dies in his arms
>fighting a nightmare creature that threatens to consune the world after climbing a dark tower to go to the moon
>beat it, but the world has been sucked dry, the green fields from the first level are now filled with dead grass and a gray atmosphere
>"at least everything is alright now!"
>turns out protagonist's best friend erased his memories and implanted their "friendship."
>protagonist was only called to this world to save from evil thing, friend was just manipulating him the whole time
>has to leave the world before it can be healed
>"wait, no, i forgive you, i don't want to be alone!!"
>gets sucked out while screaming and crying
>the end!

Poor Klonoa

It all turned out well in the end. The charr won their homelands back.

Are you autistic

Attached: jer.png (355x282, 113K)

I think Disciples games have that kind of setup going on if you play good guys. The games are eurojank HoMM clones with Ogre Battle-ish combat though.

hollow knight.
>deepnest
>royal waterways
>howling cliffs
>the abyss

Why would you play with anything other than the devil faction?

Assburgers

I'm on the spectrum and I'm only really creeped out by normal things not being normal. Like a nice little comfy village with green grass and lovely view, but people acting weird and just the atmosphere not lining up. Also I'm terrified of spooky houses, I can't play Outlast even for a second.

>Are you autistic
>on Yea Forums
>on the 4chinnels

but we still lost the biggest bro ever, prince rurick

On hindsight, what was I thinking. Perhaps it's my autism.

I wish more games did like Okami
>enter a new area
>everyone is sad or cursed and bemoaning the state of the land
>explore and battle demons, bringing plants and things back to life
>pick up some new skill
>watch as you slowly build it back up to a beautiful happy place with a bright sky and flowers everywhere

Felt good man

What about the lives that were lost? Monsters that ravaged the sons of many families, leaving only sorrow and ruin? Or their life work, devastated by a rampage?
Do you expect things to be cheery immediately after removing a threat? Won't you give them chance to reconcile with their past and live a future?

you sound like a stupid faggot

Found the Game of Thrones fan.

I'm not the one bitching about a lack of picture perfect landscapes everytime I slay a mook, though.

Ace Attorney. Literally saving lives and busting bad guys every chapter.

Attached: H2x1_CharacterHub_AceAttorney~1_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 238K)

>Do you expect things to be cheery immediately after removing a threat?
Yes, it's a fucking video game. They're not real people.

Things would be cheery after removing a threat though

>town is tight knit and has no currency and everyone is happy

On second thought, that would be actually interesting. Is there a game that just outright splashes the screen with love, joy and butterfies after you kill even a bug?

After everyone has their chance to grieve you dumbass. Not everyone’s a robot like you

But then you faggots would cry about no immersion

Why does something need to be sad to be immersive?

Immersion doesn't mean copying real life.

The Last of Us is "realistic" but it's fucking shit at immersion.

no it would be cheery instantly, not everyone is a sad piece of shit like you dumbass

>It would be cheery instantly
Gay.

>After everyone has their chance to grieve you dumbass
Fuck you, I saved the land, BE HAPPY NOW

Came here to post this
This game is what you're looking for, OP
You purify the land as you go, and can go back to see firsthand how your efforts have improved things for the regions you've visited

Adult Link in OoT still has that dreary feeling after you free the sages. Kokiri Forest is as lively as always. Death Mountain has the Gorons mourning Darunia, and a hope for the future, not the present. Gerudos are Gerudos, they will always be sour. Kakariko Village gets brighter but is still more depressing than before. The Zoras are still frozen.
So it gets a little less depressing, but it's still a shitshow compared to Young Link.
They all want to suck your dick after you free the Sages, though.

>TWEWY
>as soon as the game starts you can read the minds of generic copypasted nameless NPCs mostly for fun
>as the game progresses you realize those guys are slowly changing too as their dialogue changes (for better or worse) and you can even find some additional bits of info about the shopkeepers
>in the third week the city starts to homogenize and becomes a ghost town
I always hated Beat's week for this desu