Finally got over my fear of "hard" games and played this. How is this game still so good so many years later...

Finally got over my fear of "hard" games and played this. How is this game still so good so many years later? Is 2 worth playing too? Or should I just play 3?

Attached: 55A08BDA227CE8CA05864A4AB647F8E6C9BB6AD4[1].jpg (1920x1080, 333K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F9s_LnnrjX8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

skip 2

2 is great game, there is absolutely no reason for you to skip it.

>elite knight set and black knight weapon implying you're a noob who got by on a lucky drop
>53 blood moss for whatever reason
>killed Priscilla to bait waifufags
you have not earned a (you) but you have earned a reply

skip 2 and 3

Either go straight for 3 or directly skip to BB/Sekiro. 3 is more of the same and as far as creativity goes relatively stale but if you liked Dark Souls it's a pretty decent best of with less of what made it special. Dark Souls 2 is a downgrade in every respect and it left me pretty sour by the end so I'd argue against that. It also completely ruins the game feel. Bloodborne and Sekiro change up the formula enough to feel fresher and I think Bloodborne as a whole is probably the most quality experience From has crafted. Sekiro is a bit undercooked overall but it's fun to learn it from the ground up and dominate its combat.

Fear of hard games? They are just games. Whats to fear? Losing? Lmao @ zoomers

Health seems a bit low tho

You can fast roll in EKS at END 40, provided you have havel + fap. It's a very good set.

Two has some fun stuff, but it's spread so thin across a boring story and sloppy levels that the overall experience often doesn't feel memorable. The DLC content is easily the best part of the game by far and essential for the game feeling cohesive. The left-hand move sets, power stancing, and general variety of unique gimmick weapons does make for some really fun PVP though, but the lack of a permanent invasion orb means you'll mostly be stuck in arena combat. Three is considered a step up in some regards, but it is especially a rolling and R1 spamfest.

Also, just a random question, but if Priscilla actually caused the bleed effect to proc in your fight just now, did it actually take roughly half of your HP, or did it do squat? I swear that the mechanic barely works in the boss fight.

2 is absolutely fine and worth playing. It just isn't as good as 1 and 3.

2 is bad gaem urr durr

Play Demon's Souls. It and DS1 are the best you're gonna get.

You should play them all, i would want to play all them them for the first time over again. Maybe play 2 next, then play bloodbourne for that different experience then back on to 3. Sekiro is different again so play that last.

>if Priscilla actually caused the bleed effect to proc in your fight just now, did it actually take roughly half of your HP, or did it do squat?
The bleed effect could actually drain my whole HP bar when the words BLOOD LOSS appeared on screen. Died like 2 times to that, and then had to resort to eating through my stash of bloodred moss which I accumulated in Darkroot Garden.

I think the nicest thing about DS1 is all the exploration.

Demon's Souls is literally just DS1 the beta version. Exact same game, but everything is a little bit worse and clunkier.

Weird. The mechanic is supposed to deal damage equal to half of your health (in addition to any damage the swing that activated the effect did), as opposed to the 30% from other weapons that can inflict bleed damage. I've seen people fight her with no armor on, get hit, and take less than a quarter of their health from the swing and effect combined.

t.didn't play it
The levels and bosses are completely different dude I dunno what you're talking about. DS3 is way more similar to DS1 than DeS.

Demon's Souls is much more mechanically smooth than Dark Souls in several regards, and the level design is some of the best From Software ever made. Everything is faster than in Dark Souls, the move sets are more viable for each weapon, and rolling into an enemy can actually move it.

DS2 is like a 40 hour long kick in the balls
stay away from it

Dude, I watched some videos of it, even the tutorial boss is the same lmao, a fat demon with little wings that does a stomping move.

2 is still good just not as good as 1, still play it. Play all of them. Just take breaks.

>admits he literally didn't play it
ok

Skip two and three and play Ninja gaiden

>got by on a lucky drop
got by seems a bit much for that sword, considering a lot of two handers let you pancake most enemies and still medium roll

hell, a faair amount of gear is great outside of panmcakes as well, like claymore

i know what you mean tho, something about first playthroughs and bkweapons.. happens a lot. my first time was bk ugs. loved that weapon

2 is good fun. 3 is the same as 1 just with way more emphasis on bullshit and cool weapon mechanics.

You can't even mid roll in 2 without wasting a fuckton of points on Agility. Just don't do it.

The team that developed DS2 didn't understand what people loved about DS1 and just upped the frustration factor because dude lmao people must have liked the game because of cheaps deaths right that must be it, let's just make it as frustrating and annoying as possible.

Finally a sensible opinion

>How is this game still so good so many years later?
Its toughness is built in to the game and doesnt fade with age as people dont get faster reflexes with each year that passes. They do get better graphics so that'll be the stuff that ages in games. That's why dark souls is such a gem.
>is 2 worth playing too?
You'll find it has lost much if the magic. It is not a game you ever really get into passionately the same way. It's like a high budget fan made clone made by devs with 20 IQ points lower than the original team. It also has little to do with the lore so if kaathe and frampt got you excited, prepare for some shitty curse plot.
>Or should I just play 3?
Not on it yet, but general consensus outside of contrarian Yea Forums is that it plays beautifully and is everything good about 1 reborn. They should have been a two parter really, not a trilogy.

2 is the most 'videogamey' feeling entry, but it's probably the one I played the most. Best build variety and being able to ascetic for the ng+ items whenever helped with that. Best multiplayer as well, imo, even if the overall experience wasn't quite as good as the others.

>tfw no PS4 to play BB on
I'm not buying it for just BB and GR2.

Attached: df7[1].png (600x535, 289K)

Were there any notable shortcuts in 3?

play demon souls instead of 2 or 3 then try bloodborne

Play 2, don't listen to autists.

>hurr durr skip 2
>hurr durr skip 3

play the whole trilogy, all of the games have strengths and weaknesses

add The Last Guardian to your list at least, it's complete ludo.

>How is this game still so good so many years later?
Why does this notion that a game suddenly stops "being good" after a few years pass, come from?

Where*

1 is better than 2 and 2 is better than 3. Whether nor not you agree depends entirely on what you value in the games.

>it's complete ludo.

Most ludo game I played this gen.

>what you value in the games.
I really liked the exploration aspect in DS1. Taking your time to slowly explore a place, find all the secret and then, woah, here's an entrance to a whole new area. This part was really exciting.

Does 2 have any of that?

Attached: 95A66EE83AF63BC23F3B6B2C15CF748C968E2871[1].jpg (1920x1080, 331K)

2 is good if you level ADP right away, and it's bad if you don't

Attached: 1445760879601.jpg (640x640, 63K)

How you know he killed Priscilla

skip 2 FOR NOW, go back later. ds3 is a direct sequel to 1, 2 is kind of it's own thing. also 2 is not as good as the others. it's still worth playing though, eventually.

Attached: 1534338135916.jpg (777x759, 271K)

2 has that, more than DS3, Bloodborne and Sekiro. Those games place a great emphasis on action in comparison.

Yeah, skip 2 and go onto Bloodborne.

I've grown to appreciate 2 the more I play it. DeS is great but a bit limited compared to other entries later on. DS has a great two thirds but the last "act" is very weak. DS2 is mess of a game but you go to the most varied locations in Souls and the build variety is unmatched. BB is great but stuck on PS4 so 30FPS. DS3 is very limited for builds and is rollspam the game as everything is on crack. Honestly, I'd probably put 3 at the bottom of the listings because it offers very little in comparison to the others.

From going deeper into the action side of things kind of screwed up the series. They're not that good action games, especially when you put them up against DMC, MGR, Ninja Gaiden and more.

Play the first game in the series Demon Souls. Also If you just want to play hard games, then just skip the Souls series and dive into Rayman 1 and Bubsy 3D.

Dark Souls 2 is better than 3 in my opinion. But I'am a sucker for sandbox games.

that is her areana and she isn't there

Dark Souls 2 is a great game, specially this many years and patches later, but it is a lot different then Dark Souls 1 so don't go in expecting the same kind of experience

You might as well just quit while ahead.

Attached: Tier list.png (395x328, 77K)

Not to mention that +30000 souls message in the bottom right corner.

2 is better than 3 so yes play that first

As other have said, 2 is more of it's own thing, maybe you should skip it for now and play it when you're finished with everything else (or if you're a sucker for variety builds go for it, seriously it has the most variety) and the DLCs are the best part of it, I love them.
3 is ok, it has the best boss battles in my opinion
I haven't played bloodborne but it is praised for something, but I heard it doesn't have much replay value because there are weapons that are just objectively the better option.

It's a bit like steak, all of it's good, but some of it's just extra good, some people like 2 more than 3, some people (subhumans) like it more than 1 even, I personally really enjoyed all of them, 1 is best, 3 is great, 2 is ok, Bloodborne is GOTYAY

Just try em all
After playing 1, 3, and bloodborne I wanted more and 2 scratched that itch until sekiro csme out

>fear of hard videogames

What a pathetic and weak generation. It's a fucking video game, nathan, not a bar brawl you pussy.

des is 60fps on pc though

It isn't. No 60 fps hack yet.

welcome to a year ago
youtube.com/watch?v=F9s_LnnrjX8

Play Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro

every bk weapon is a crutch and if you beat ds1 with it and thought you earned it I suggest a new playthrough to learn how much it carried your faggot ass

What about the exploration in DS2 and DS3?

Welcome to fuck off. This just makes the game run twice as fast.

Dark Souls 2 has decent exploration because you can choose which area to travel to first, but there are four main paths that don't cross into each other at all so you're proceeding essentially down a straight line
DS3 has a mostly linear path with the occasional splinter off to an area
unfortunately the interconnectedness of the world in ds1 was never managed again, you also get the warp ability from the start and the choice of any bonfire in the world so you don't get that metroidvania feeling of crossing through old areas as an overpowered monster to unlock new paths

Each game has it's own merits and deserves at least 1 playthrough.

mostly agree
but I think that ds2 requires multiple playthroughs to understand why it's good
they tuck away a lot of shit in that game
you also have a different experience depending on which areas you tackle first

My first playthrough I managed to find the gravelord sword fairly early and it made the game so much easier.

Not to mention that, aside from DeS, that is the only souls game that changes up NG+, instead of just increasing numbers

Yeah I agree its kind of like an acquired taste and everyone should try both versions of the game too.

You might like 2, it has a ton of unique areas to explore and it's very non-linear. The encounter design isn't as good as the others (in general the game design isn't as sharp as DS1) but I think it's good enough to earn a playthrough. As someone who likes the explorations in these games as well, DS3 is more combat focused as is Bloodborne, and Sekiro is basically only combat.

>DLCs are the only good parts of it
ftfy

You'll probably hate 2 if your coming from 1 but you should try it at least. If you don't like it just go to 3.

2 is good, don't listen to the memes.
Make sure it's the Scholar of The First Sin version, but I don't think they sell just the base game anymore.

2 its like meh 3 is the fall of grace

go back and play DeS, then 2>3>BB, either skip 2 or play it somewhere inbetween so you don't get disappointed when you run out of souls games to play

They're all good for different reasons, but 2 is definitely the weak link of the lot.

The first one has the map design and the heavy feel of it makes it significantly better, but everything can be cheesed by poor design choices (backstabs and poise).

The second one has the most armor and weapons, which means you get a lot more character customization. The unique weapon abilities only make it more enjoyable in that regard, but the poor level design in some places and wonky hitboxes make it frustrating at times. That being said it's the longest, and I still had a lot of fun with it, despite it being "higher" fantasy.

The third is the fastest and I personally don't feel Dark Souls should be this fast, but it also has the best online. The invasion system was fine tuned perfectly and now invasions are finally hard but more importantly; rewarding to succeed. And when you "git gud" at them, it's incredible beating a dedicated gank. The level design somehow ends up being worse than 2, and the lack of armor and weapons leaves a lot to be desired. But the bosses are pretty good.

that's a good point too
also if you're playing on PC you can play the original DS2 and then play a professionally made romhack in the form of Scholar
if you can afford it I'd say that the best experience is to play regular 2 on PC as it runs at 60fps, and then to buy Scholar for your second playthrough
there are some good moments designed to play with the expectations of people who experienced the original game first

This guy speaks the truth

Attached: 1367873376870.gif (268x200, 1.37M)

the black knight shield would have been a much luckier drop. he's not using a shield at all, most people do on their first playthrough.

Dark Souls 2: Sotfs is better than Dark Souls 3.

Attached: fact.jpg (451x451, 25K)

There's literally nothing wrong with the Elite set and Black knight weapons.

Play 2. I think if i hadn't played ds1 a dozen times in between it and 2 i might have appreciated just more of the formula even if it was lesser.

>Is 2 worth playing too? Or should I just play 3?
Playing Demon's Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro is a much higher priority than either of those.

Dark Souls 2 is a glorious overambitious mess that has tons of soul but a lot of rough edges. Dark Souls 3 is a shamlessly pandering rehash of the first game, and had half the content removed during development so it feels very unfulfilling.

>Make sure it's the Scholar of The First Sin version
Wrong, the vanilla version is better. Buying the original DS2 + DLC bundle on Steam costs the same as SOTFS so there is really no reason to get SOTFS. The changes to the visuals and enemy placements in SOTFS are objectively shit.

play 2 just to see how bad it is

Sotfs made mostly objective improvements and added/reworked content to make the game more compelling and to make more sense.

Attached: 20190731210005_1.jpg (1920x1080, 647K)

play 1 first and do one NG+
play 3 once but don't do NG+
PvP in 2
do NG+7 in 2
Play DeS if you're the kind of guy who loves raw jonky prototypes

Enemy placement makes absolutely no fucking sense in SotFS

>Sotfs made mostly objective improvements and added/reworked content to make the game more compelling and to make more sense.
You haven't included any examples of this because there aren't any, you're just saying it's good because it's what you bought. Changes like putting the Heide Knights in Heide's Tower Of Flame are completely retarded, both from a lore perspective and in terms of how annoying and unfun it makes the area to play through.

The worst thing about SOTFS is the visual changes, which essentially just consists of artificially jacking up the contrast and adding a color filter so that the game looks like it has some terrible SweetFX filter made by a 14 year old. For example, Medula is supposed to be a peaceful sunset but it is blindingly bright in SOFTS, it is just terrible.

I never level health until after I beat O&S. Doesn't matter much that early into the game.

2 is pretty devisive in the community. It's the most challenging of the series and its fans consider it to be the best due to the depth of the gameplay, which isn't matched by the other two games. It's also pretty ugly in comparison and you may need a guide to complete it. A lot of Yea Forums (and DS fans in general) got filtered by its difficulty and they remain butthurt about it to this day.

3 is the easiest and has the best multiplayer aspects.

Attached: 2014-04-27_00001.jpg (1440x900, 345K)

>It's the most challenging of the series
It's literally the easiest, outside of the bosses in the Iron King DLC

Remind me which bosses in DS2 come close to Pontiff, Dancer, Nameless King, Dragonslayer Armor etc. in difficulty?

Well I posted one. I hated this area in the base game and I think it's objectively improved now and the 'dragon welcomes you' line the Herald says (or something to the same effect) makes more sense now. All the Aldia stuff is really good too despite him sucking as a boss. Heide knights don't attack you till you kill the Dragonrider and even if I don't find the area that hard I get your point. From never figured out how to satisfyingly do multiple enemy encounters so the attacks just clip through each other. And I honestly can't remember what the lighting in the base game looked like.

As for the lore, I stopped caring past DS1.

I forgot what most of the original placement was like too lel.

>Dragon Aerie is just optional now for some reason
>Heide is completely fucked and contender for the worst area ever
>You have an 80% chance of encountering three bosses as regular enemies before you even get a chance to fight them properly
>FoTFG just tripled the amount of mobs for no reason
>Branches of Yore were once a progress gate or bonfire tax, now they are all over the place, with their usage varying between "Have a few items" and "unlock this massive crucial pathway"
>random enemies just tossed everywhere with no regards for theming, have some ninjas in your castle bro
>ruined traps like the skeleton dragon and poison masks because who knows
>Iron Keep in its entirety

I have to hard disagree, I own both versions, SoTFS is a fanmade-tier mod and the only real objective improvements are the story tidbits and multiplayer limit.

It's a challenging game, but for all the wrong reasons - too many enemies, often in groups, enemies pivoting on a dime to track you with their attacks, and even less feedback from your attacks than DS1

>All the Aldia stuff is really good too despite him sucking as a boss
This is in the vanilla DS2 as well, it was patched in as the DLC was released.

>"hard game"
>Asmongold beats all of them with no game knowledge or coherent build

Is this why you losers autistically champion this series? because you feel like you accomplished something? holy shit i am laffin

Attached: 1533720879175.jpg (536x533, 58K)

>too many enemies, often in groups
This is why you don't play SOTFS

Dark Souls 2 is the best Fromsoft game, maybe only Sekiro is better

Who is Asmongold and why should him beating a game influence anyones opinion about said game?

>because you feel like you accomplished something?
No, it's because the games are fun, absorbing and unpatronizing, unlike everything coming out of the west today.

dont pretend user,it's obvious that's some youtuber and that user is a normalfag

I'll play along and pretend that you don't know him an/or can't into google.

He's a fucking retard who's abysmal at videogames. but DS is supposed to be a "hard game" that weebshit Yea Forumstrannies can't stop talking about

>PLAY BY MY RULES

>enemies pivoting on a dime to track you with their attacks
DS3 had its own version of this though, with enemies attacking in massive arcs that would hit you even if you were standing behind them. The limitations of Souls core gameplay mean that forcing the player to deal with more attacks that they can't just walk around is the only way to add real challenge. Going back to DS1 now, it is obvious that if you just circle around behind enemies they can't really touch you.

>Soulsfags constantly say "THIS part isn't hard, but this NEXT one will finally stump him" for three whole games in a row
>mashes R1 to great success
>gets stuck on Nameless King
>someone tells him how equip load works
>He takes off his armor and wins immediately

Asmon is a sperg but that was pretty based.

Attached: calarts-meme.jpg (353x239, 16K)

Some of the enemy placements are better in SotFS but moving most of the heide knights back to tower of flame was a mistake. Their idea in SotFS was to make heide's tower a low level area the first time you go through and kill the dragonrider, then a high level area when you come back later to kill the copy-paste knight but it was just kind of shit.
The flexile sentry being shifted from shaded woods back to it's original home in lost bastille was a good change as it had no place being all the fuck over there when it's original haunt was lost bastille, making dragon aerie into a 1v1 duelling gauntlet instead of a super gank fiesta was good, more spiders are always good because they keep pussy-ass arachophobes away for longer, but shitting even more pursuers everywhere was bad and making literally every other side area need a fucking branch to access was the worst.
So it's a bit of both really. Some good some bad.

The original got this complaint more than Scholars. By the time Scholars came out, the fans were eager for more and Yea Forums was still in a buttfucked pile on the floor. A lot of Yea Forums pretends to be hardcoarâ„¢ but the majority are really just goons and normans.

Attached: 1451796678188.jpg (1256x5080, 1.32M)

>dark souls
>hard
imagine unironically falling for this meme
only people who are complete dogshit at video games find this difficult, I died maybe 2-5 times in each entry, mostly to shitty artificial difficulty death traps I didn't even know about, and I don't even consider myself good

Attached: 149995678994.jpg (650x494, 48K)

Well the speed of the game is completely different so probably none of them. And Pontiff is a bitch that lacks startup on a lot of his attacks which he shares with a few other DS3 bosses.

>Dragon Aerie is just optional now for some reason
You can't visit the giant's memories without visiting the dragon though? Am I missing something?
>Heide is completely fucked and contender for the worst area ever
It's a tiny place that wasn't very good in the first place, at least imo. Those stone knights are really easy.
>You have an 80% chance of encountering three bosses as regular enemies before you even get a chance to fight them properly
You're probably right but I can't remember them apart from Flexile Sentry.
>FoTFG just tripled the amount of mobs for no reason
This is one of the reasons I hated DS2. I don't mind it in Sotfs because of change of perspective I guess, though the ambush format gets annoying I admit.
>Branches of Yore were once a progress gate or bonfire tax, now they are all over the place, with their usage varying between "Have a few items" and "unlock this massive crucial pathway"
This is pretty shitty and I had to check which areas are the most optimal to use the branch on.
>random enemies just tossed everywhere with no regards for theming, have some ninjas in your castle bro
>Iron Keep in its entirety
There are more enemies but the last time I played DS2 animations were fps-tied so everyone was twice as fast as they are now. You're probably right here though cause the boss run to Smelter Demon was fucking annoying. The only place where the enemies disappeared for me.

I don't know. I played DS2 really long ago so maybe it's just the entirety of my perspective and overall skill changing that influenced me in appreciating it more. Maybe Sotfs has very little to do with it and it has more to do with the DLC which I really liked. Though I like the Dragon Aerie changes now.

Attached: 20190801201454_1.jpg (1920x1080, 456K)

Skip 2 it’s trash. If you do play it, play it as a spin off not a sequel and it’s supremely more enjoyable.

Did you not play 2? Or did you skip all the DLC? 3 is a walk in the park compared to 2. One of the bosses in 2 you have to fight Havel, Astora (not sure if that's his name) and that thief dude all at the same time.

Attached: th.jpg (474x266, 15K)

>The only critical branch you need is the one for Shaded Woods and it worked identically in Vanilla as well.

>Heide becomes harder once you defeat Dragonrider, no biggie

>Iron Keep is perfectly doable once you understand how Alonne knights aggro

>Aerie is optional because it was just mat grinding with trial and error

>Enemies placement in Scholar makes more sense lore-wise, Drangleic castle is meant to have random shit because Vendrick pillaged everything around him

>FotfG isn't gankier than vanilla

2 didn't reach the highs of 1 or 3 but it did have the most variety out of all of them it also added some pretty good Ideas that ended up removed in the next game and had some of the best DLC in the series.

I'm talking about the main games obviously, notice how I didn't mention Gael, Midir etc. Even just looking at the DLCs, DS3 is a lot harder, both in terms of the areas and bosses. The gank squad boss in Sunken King is not hard at all, I beat it first try. Just don't play like a retard.

Anyone else tired of duel boss fights and just prefers more Midir/Sinh/Manus boss types?

Attached: gwyndolin.png (832x719, 1.02M)

Nioh and by extension Ninja Gaiden games are harder than anything in DS.

Dark Souls is only "hard" by the standards of shitty zoomers who grew up playing minecraft and other overly casual garbage.
Just because its possible to die if you fuck up doesn't mean a game is hard.

Attached: 1510684081950.gif (310x394, 2.71M)

How does Yea Forums define 'hard' anyway? I mean if you ever beat the game (without cheats or in *souls case some monstrous overleveling (i guess?) and summoning) is it hard? What im trying to say if you make mistakes and eventually learn (as i hope thats the idea behind the game) and beat it, was it really hard?

Dark Souls 2 felt like it was made in china, like some cheap knock off of the series, everything about that game feels off.

In a hard game, your mistake will cause you to fail, whereas in an easy game your mistakes won't matter

>Finally got over my fear of "hard" games and played this

Nice, now all you need to do is play a game that's actually hard.

>DeS
>clunkier

And that how you tell a DaS1fag who hasn't played DeS, everything in DeS is smoother and faster than DaS1, it just lacks quality of life improvements like drop attacks, jumps etc.

>In a hard game, your mistake will cause you to fail
that sounds like a normal game to me, or is super mario bros before your time

Attached: 1560697441871.png (523x536, 420K)

DaS1 dumbed down enemy encounter design and AI too

2D Mario is pretty hard

Nah, the consequences of messing up and skill needed to overcome are what make it hard. If you beat it then you beat a hard game, it did not mean it was easy.

only if you don't watch any more guides and tutorials you fucking faggot. Who has 15 humanities and that hp/stamina at this stage.

Attached: ilovelampbutnope.png (300x244, 62K)

>How is this game still so good so many years
Because the "hidden" art of just making an adventure game with great gameplay and level design without the interruption of 10 hours of cutscenes about a shitty story that is being force fed down your throat, is a lost art.

I'm playing through the first one at the moment too. Someone give me tips for Queelag so I can finally get out of this fucking area.

Attached: 1399895520048.webm (1280x720, 1.79M)

press the circle button when does an attack

2 is a worthwhile game, that did take steps forward in some regards. The best example of this is the bonfire ascetics/NG+ actually change the enemy layout and area rewards; This makes going to NG+ or using the "make game harder" items meaningful. There are some interesting bosses and areas, at least. Just try not to think about connectivity too much (they didn't).

Playing it before 3 will give some perspective of how the game progressed, and since 3 is heavily referential, will allow you to have more "oh hey I recognize that" moments.

Attached: 1453140259512.png (3000x2987, 1001K)

Deal damage to her whilst simultaneously avoiding taking damage

The boss is pretty slow, literally just bait her into attacking, then roll or sidestep to the side and keep beating her while her attack animation is playing. I sure hope you're not fat rolling for your boss fights.

3 is worse than 2. Play demons souls if you can

Skip 2 and 3 and play Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro.

I don't get the reputation Demon's Souls has for being a "janky prototype," but I imagine it's from people who haven't actually played it. It doesn't feel much less janky than Dark Souls, hell they both share many of the exact same animations. It also feels like more of a new experience than 2 or 3. The Archstone system probably gives the most freedom out of any of the games and the bosses are pretty cool to fight the first time around, even if they become nothing but gimmicks after

Other than don't use fire damage of any kind, because she is immune, the tips for Quelaag are the tips for every Dark Souls Boss.

Watch and learn a boss's attacks.
>Not all attacks provide "openings" to get damage on the boss safely.
>Not all attacks are worth blocking, and should be dodged.
>Not all attacks should be dodged, and should be moved away from instead.
>Some bosses have a "safe side" that their attacks have trouble reaching: Sometimes circling left/right helps avoid the attacks of some enemies/bosses thus allowing you to attack during their attacks.

People have completed "no-hit" runs of every game by understanding boss mechanics, and the "tell" of what each attack is going to be based on boss behavior/movement.

Attached: 1485323721808.jpg (500x447, 44K)

What game doesnt punish you? Even in forementioned minecraft hugging ackbar-hisser will kill you, for example

All of them are good.

>What game doesnt punish you?
Have you played a western AAA game made in the last 5 years?

They don't. 90% of the time you can either facetank unreasonable amounts of damage, or you hide for three seconds and you're back to full health.

I can smell the incel on you a mile away. Seek help

If anything your mistakes in souls games matter less. Souls mean nothing items stay in your inventory after you've picked them up.

15 humanity isn't alot.

Wrong. Don't shitpost about a game if you don't even understand the mechanics.

>You can't visit the giant's memories without visiting the dragon though? Am I missing something?
Dragon Aerie, not dragon shrine. In OG the ladder at the bonfire had to be kicked down so you had to go through all the nests to get to the shrine

Skip to 3, 2 isn't very good unfortunately.

Find the dragoncest shield
If you absolutely need help summon Maneater Mildred after killing her and she'll tank while you do damage.
Attacks to look out for
When she hugs her spider get out she's going to explode
Sword slashes can be blocked
Ass shake if you stay behind her too long

Glad to hear OP
Even the worst games of the series are great games.
2's reputation is well-deserved as the worst of the series but it's still a lot of fun. Play all of them if you want.

Attached: 1562766422572.jpg (712x433, 29K)

Roll to the right and hug her left side, close to the spider legs. All of her attacks will miss you, if you'll make everything properly. But watch out for her aoe attack

>my fear of "hard" games

Attached: Dark Souls - Knight Artorias Fight.webm (600x336, 2.94M)

DS2 is worth a playthrough, but it's more of a side story than any sort of continuation. Whaile there are a lot of little improvements in the gameplay, they somehow made it feel sluggish in comparison to every other soulsborne game, so be prepared to feel a bit awkward when starting out.

DS2 is the least well realized of the soulsborne From games, but that still puts it heads and tails above any other developer's attempts.

>but that still puts it heads and tails above any other developer's attempts.

Attached: das2isagoodgame.webm (1280x720, 2.69M)

for gods sake OP, you´ve gotta play demons souls, you can skip 3 freely if you got bored after playing trough 2 & bloodborne to sekiro
true trier list of overall experience
BB(only if you like the asthethics& world)>DS>DaS2>DaS(vanilla)>Sekiro>DaS>DaS3
all the DS clones like lord of fallen or surge are at most mediocre compared to the thightness of the from games.

I did, define 'punish' then. You can die on super easy playing CoD campaign. Or does 'punish' means full gameover SEGA\NES like? Deleting your savefiles? I mean even *souls dont do that now

The Surge is unironically better than Dark Souls 2.

That was bullshit but it still gets a laugh from me.

Now post "it's treason then" with pursuer

>I never played Demon's Souls and regurgitate info from Youtubers who never have

DS1 > DeS > DS3 = DS2
They all good though.

Attached: 5Sqmsh6bcGWT-DGpbPckeoa6Q3wudDaFvBvnLBmA7hE.jpg (851x768, 135K)

Not him but I got that from the second black knight I killed first time I played it.

Soulscancer complex in a nutshell

>being afraid of hard games
how much of a pussy does one even have to be in order to be afraid of losing at a video game.

Attached: 1510145014029.jpg (712x712, 42K)

Oh ok I'll ju-
>gets Gravelord Sword

You don't spend most of your time in these games fighting bosses

>Pontiff

Attached: Pontiff Sulyvahn.webm (960x540, 2.88M)

You don't have to even go that far Zwei and Great Scythe are also close by and can rip through enemies no problem.

The duality of man

>dark souls
>hard

This is where developers screw up people don't want hard games for the sake of it being hard they just want a game that tests you abilities in a fair way.

Claymore is better than both IMO and it's right there on the bridge after the first real boss. It scales better than BKS late game too.

It is.

He’s right tho

Got this.

Attached: IMG_7861.jpg (1000x750, 640K)

Attached: IMG_7863.jpg (1000x750, 669K)

Attached: IMG_7867.jpg (1000x750, 779K)

Attached: IMG_7878.jpg (1000x750, 562K)

Attached: IMG_7885.jpg (1000x750, 728K)

Attached: IMG_7887.jpg (1000x750, 726K)

Attached: IMG_7891.jpg (1000x803, 602K)

Attached: IMG_7894.jpg (1000x795, 529K)

>it's another transcels whine about dark souls 2 thread
yawn

Cope.

For years I listened to Yea Forums in regards to DS2 being bad, but I one day checked it out and I was pleasantly surprised, it's a really good game, but it's clearly a game that is unfinished and something didn't pan out in development. I personally found 3 to be the worst, it just feels so derivative and desperate to evoke the memories DS1 that it failed to truly do anything unique, despite having some great ideas that it never gave room to breath in favour of cramming in more references to DS1. I still like 3 and it truly shines in some areas, but it's just lacking ambition.

Anyway, you should really play them all and make up your own mind, Yea Forums tends to develop hate-bases for games it perceives as receiving too much positive attention where people just parrot the same 2-3 easy to digest criticisms as if they are the worst things ever, when they are just minor things at best. I haven't read through this thread yet, but I imagine there are the old chestnuts of "too many enemies!", "the game world doesn't line up properly!" and "There's a lava castle above a windmill!".

Or you can ignore me and do whatever you want.

Attached: 175429808.jpg (1024x681, 548K)

Eks + yolo mask is the most fashionable.

is DS2 the clear sky of Dark Souls?

Correct opinion.

I do think that if DS3 had come straight after DS1 it would have taken less criticism for being derivative, as it does do things the way a conventional sequel would. But coming after a game that tried to have an original setting makes it seem like more of a step back.

so I'm a huge faggot who has all of the original books because I like to collect the DS guides

is this worth picking up? it's like 30 bones on amazon right now, and I wasn't sure if it substantially different than the original versions

2 is the worst but it's still worth playing.

It has every single dialog, map, npc, item, armor piece, enemy, etc.
Of course it's worth picking.
The quality of pages and print are very good too.
It's easily the best art book for Souls.

Attached: IMG_7880.jpg (1000x750, 767K)

hmmmmm
I am interested in having a non shit version of the DS3 book since it's made by Future Press and not Prima, plus I suppose it'll have all the DLC art for the books, too

All the souls games were just betas for Blooborne

All the DLC stuff is included obviously:

Attached: IMG_7871.jpg (1000x750, 737K)

Accurate

Yeah, that would probably make sense. 3 definitely feels way more "sequely" than 2.

>i didn't play the game but I'll act like a nigger and parrot ecelebs anyways
Yikes tranny

Imagine being so stupid that you think Dark Souls 1 is somehow the namesake of the series when Demons Souls was actually the first, the best combat/world/story/waifu/atmosphere and the absolute best.

If you bought or played Sekiro/DS2&3, your opinion on souls games is irrelevant because you are a corporate puppet.

>old game good
lmao you silly boomer

No one cares about DeS and it's a bad game.

1 is clearly unfinished as well

>53 blood moss for whatever reason
you know she has a huge bleed effect and blood moss negates that, right?

They all are to some degree, but you can practically see where the developers of DS2 were meant to spent more time and just ran out.

you mean like 80% of das1

who gets hit by priscilla? she's slow as shit

>stopping to eat a moss to heal your bleed bar mid-bossfight
When the fuck has anyone ever done this?

I much prefer roll spam in pve than just stacking shitloads of poise and facetanking everything, but it sucks in pvp in that most situations can be avoided just by dodging spam. I wish it was pure spacing to dodge weapons rather than "lol dodge roll through heavy weapon".

>less feedback from your attacks than DS1
The game doesn't drop inputs. It ques them. You're supposed to commit to your actions in these games. It is your fault.

>you mean like 80% of das1
Not really, most of DS1 is at least coherently structured, it only really falls apart for a few sections after you beat Ornstein and Smough. There are just so many rough patches where you can look up at the facade of a building in DS2 and see it covered in shitty, poorly repeating textures and missing windows that reek of it being areas the developers cut corners on to meet deadlines and hoped nobody would notice.

If you just beat one go straight to three. It has a lot of references to the first that will make you feel warm seeing again, unlike the rest of us who were bitter at what came off as nostalgiabait.

>You didn't REALLY beat the game until I say so
Yep sounds about right

yeah god forbid someone use the game mechanics that are given to them and not playing super optimally on their first run

The disgusting elitism in the souls community is really such a blight on the otherwise awesome series.

Attached: dark_souls_elitism.jpg (1200x463, 178K)

I'm saying it's a bait post and not genuine, there's too many factors

>He thinks that's a low amount of health
It's all about END and damage, nigga

Attached: 7e2199690e013c89074a69cd82df1bef.jpg (400x269, 20K)

I love this image, its hilarious but it really shows how different everyone's experience was.

Personally, the Gargoyles filtered me in Dark Souls 1, and I didn't find O&S that hard.

fpbp
skip 2 OP, keep your love for the franchise intact. Also 3 is the direct successor to 1. 2 is just a chimpout

imagine seething this hard over your shitty pixel waifu
i'm gonna go kill shitscilla now just to trigger you

>the Gargoyles filtered me
Same. Until I applied gold pine resin and summoned Solaire which made the fight retarded easy.

>hard game

>spamrollspamR1
I fucking hate fans of Souls games, complete subhumans.

tfw parrylocked gwyn

2 is good, don't bother with three, it ruins the theme and lets you do stupid anime movements like jumping 6 feet with a greatsword.

>so many years later?
Are we at this point already?

as opposed to
>r1
>slow ass dodge
>get hit by a complete shitbox
>get up
>walk away
>eat a bunch of rocks
>run back
>get hit by another shitbox
>r1
>r1
>slow roll
>r1
>congratulations, you've killed some mob

Gate keeping is the only thing that prevent communities from becoming complete shit.

Attached: 1557611038647.jpg (824x724, 168K)

is this what you tell yourself everytime you look at your receding chin in a mirror?

2 is more like the original than 3, 3 introduces a lot of bloodborne mechanics and it kinda sucks if you're looking for more dark souls

Its good because modern games have become super pandering and hand holdy.

How can your chin even recede? It's made out of bone.

It was the same when Dark Souls came out, I'd say excessive hand holding goes all the way back to the start of the 7th generation.

>imagine being this bad