Why did Bungie give up Halo?

Why did Bungie give up Halo?

Attached: paul-russel-on-halo.png (754x450, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yWh9l8RSkPk
youtube.com/watch?v=EwOUi4JDC4o
archive.is/NyEc5
youtu.be/Y1OjUWw43co
youtu.be/EwOUi4JDC4o
youtube.com/watch?v=z6TDzddVGWI
pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/destiny-2-reboot-jason-schreier
kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731
youtube.com/watch?v=aA9oSO-HLQw&feature=youtu.be&=
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well considering halo 2 and 3 were great and destiny is shit I think Microsoft knew Bungie were one trick ponies from the get go

They didn't want to be tied to Microsoft as that "Halo game maker" studio forever. They wanted to do more creative things, and not be one of those companies that keep making the same thing year after year to eventually make a bunch of worse versions of it in a row and be shut down.

Destiny is fucking garbage, Halo is still kind of ok, so nice move retards.

Blame Activision Blizzard.

>make halo
>"omg we don't want to do anymore halo!"
>sell rights to halo
>next game is like halo
what is this lmao

Attached: feel.png (645x773, 6K)

Original Destiny was far from being like Halo. Unless all that needs to qualify to be halo to you is it has to have guys in armor that shoot things and it has to be set in the future.

Bungie wanted to make Destiny since the Marathon days.

This

they would have got more freedom and funding if they just stayed and worked on both series
Destiny wouldn't have been butchered (as bad)

both Activision and Bungie heads were responsible for tearing down the real game
microtransactions were introduced by Bungie as another revenue stream and parting the game into DLC was because of time constraints on top of funding

Every inside source that has spoken about destiny's troubled development and questionable monetization schemes has said that the blame rests almost entirely on bungie management for not providing teams with enough resources, proper tools, good communication, and so on.

More specifically the original game was rebooted less than a year before launch because Jason Jones thought it was "too linear" and had some vague concept of players being able to make their own adventures. All the original story was basically canned or turned into DLC which led to Joseph Staten leaving bungie

Attached: destiny_video_game_art-wallpaper-3840x2400.jpg (3840x2400, 1.77M)

Why did they make Halo then?

If it was never made who cares?

The crippling strike for D1 was when Staten and his team of writers, after years of creating lore for the Destiny universe and all these characters and places to go, put together a 2 hour supercut of the planned base campaign. The execs fucking despised it, and decided to scrap the entire thing and start over from square one. A lot of development time was put into essentially cutting apart and reorganizing the Destiny universe into a bizarre Frankenstein monstrosity that barely resembled Staten's original vision. It's why Destiny was delayed, it's why so much of the rewritten lore was outside of the game, it's why the story was so barebones and uninteresting, and it's what completed alienated Staten and O'Donnell.

You have to understand that Destiny started life as Staten and friends' passion project. It was their baby and they put their heart and soul to lay the framework of they hoped to become a genre defining sci-fi epic. Osiris was supposed to be in the Mercury lighthouse and was going to be a mentor figure to you. The Exo Stranger was his enforcer, assistant, and strong hand throughout the system. Uldren was the Crow, who was what Cayde became by Taken King. The Dreadnought was going to be in the base game. Rasputin was going to have an Exo proxy. Exos in general were supposed to have a creepy undead vibe. You could enter the City and meet NPC Guardians. Bungie's brass ripping it apart and stitching into something they thought would be more palatable to the general audience was what lead to them hemorrhaging talent over the last few years. Staten left, and his writing team who spent nearly a decade crafting Destiny and writing its grimoire were gone entirely by Taken King. O'Donnell left, and his music suite made for Destiny was withheld out of spite. The artists left by Age of Triumph. It's why we're where are today.

Original Destiny is Destiny 1.

So Jason Jones burned bridges with his 15+ year coworkers/friends/founding members of Bungie all to produce a slightly less linear campaign that ended up being absolutely mediocre and forgettable?

Fucking naive idiots, incredible
They really didnt expect the jews to change everything?
They should have left much earlier

>O'Donnell left
You mean he was fired because he was making a fuss over the music used in trailers (execs wanted the action-packed bombastic rock&roll CoD style trailers) and nobody stood up for him? Might I add that he later sued Bungie for wrongful termination and WON. wow I guess he really pissed them off somehow if they wanted him out that bad. Or Jason Jones is just a retard.

The joke is that Destiny is soulless garbage and Halo isn't far off. Anyone who unironically enjoys Bungie games has no fucking taste, and the dev studio would be better off shuttering.

Its funny because a lot of times what kills these big money maker franchises is just releasing too many games too quickly. If they'd just let companies release games on their own schedule, they'd eventually bring a sequel around.

Also with the way Halo ended they were obviously planning a sequel. So this guy is full of shit.

>been planning something similarish to Destiny since before Halo CE
>still managed to fuck the concept up twice after all the experience Halo gave them

Man, just makes everything sadder.

I love destiny but man I've heard of so much stuff that was changed it reminds me of what could've been.

Even the lighthouse was changed drastically in destiny 1-2. I remember the first trailer in destiny 1 revealing oryx n shit that they cut out.

I wish the story was betrer. I don't know who's fault it was either bungie or Activision but it really was bad

That's literally all it takes to be like Halo.

Especially if you consider the idea that mechanically speaking, a game like Destiny wouldn't have been possible back then.

Yet it has roots in that fantasy game?

The only "roots" it could share is the "gun wielding armored people in space" theme, aka being just like halo.

The Halo 3 ending wasn't specifically sequel bait. It was meant to leave chief's fate up to the player's interpretation. Basically "hes not dead and will go on adventures some more but we don't want to make any more games, you can make up what he does next"

Reach was originally going to be halo 4 but they didn't want to continue chief.

>or Jason Jones is a just a retard.

Probably that. O'Donnell could've uplifted a lot of the shitty moments of Destiny with a good theme.

Dude doesn't know grammar

What about Marathon?

Guess that explains why Destiny 2's armors look like something out a gook MMO and all the shit is grindy as absolute fuck

Ironically Halo had immense soul and Destiny is soulless and has 0 groundbreaking features, 0 memorable lines, 0 memorable scenes or characters. I think Marty made Halo. If they're not lying, then Marty is the one who got everyone so pumped up to continue with Halo. If they were just MS drones why would they have put so much heart into it?
youtu.be/yWh9l8RSkPk
Even the voice actors cared comparing ODST Buck to Halo 5's Buck, or his role in Destiny.

The blame is 90% Bungie 10% Activision
It has fantasy elements. Lots of mythical weapons and legendary heros and Kings and gods and warlords and swords and space magic and dark rituals and shit like that. But it's all just dressing because 99% of the gameplay is shooting humanoid aliens in the head and filling mmo tier checklist grind quests.

Attached: B9Xf3SKIgAAxvDo.jpg (920x842, 146K)

Games are more than just a setting.

>That pic
What the fuck is that. A new race? Got any more pics

Unfortunately the only thing destiny has going for it is the setting. It certainly doesn't have good story or good gameplay. No groundbreaking features like Halo had. Just a poor imitation with longer loading screens and content repetition ad infinitum.

>Reach was originally going to be halo 4 but they didn't want to continue chief.

why not?

>99% of the gameplay is shooting humanoid aliens in the head
Incorrect, sometimes you shoot them in the glowing weak spot.

It's super simple and dumb. Just like Halo.

Have you even considered why Bungie had to rush and scrap their original ideas twice? Activision Blizzard. They set the launch dates for when the funding was stopping and the game would have to release. If it was such a passion project, they should have let Bungie do it's thing with the amount of funding they needed. Activision Blizzard basically threw almost all their money at them, set a release date that was way too soon and then started making overpriced marketing trailers.

Would you want to keep making the same shit until the end of time?

People here are too young to know about Marathon. Or Myth, for that matter. Storytelling no matter the genre was always kinda Bungie's thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=EwOUi4JDC4o

look what happened with nu-chief

Original concept for the Hive. Instead of necromancy zombies they were gonna be moth people.

Attached: destiny-old-enemies4-640x640.jpg (640x427, 40K)

>They set the launch dates
Bungie had literally been working on the game since 2009 or even earlier. They ample opportunity to meet launch date, with flying colors. Jason jones CHOSE to reboot the game less than A YEAR before launch and multiple team members either quit or were fired over this idiotic decision.

Bungie has a history over pulling stunts like this. It was entirely their own fault.

Scary as fuck. Reminds me of the concept art of the pyramid enemies

I just said why. They wanted Chief's fate to be left up to the player. As it should have been.

Is this fucking medivh

I'll be honest, I've never played it. Back when it came out, I didn't have a computer capable of running it, and by the time I did, I didn't like FPS games. If it's good, then hey at least they made one good game.

Darkness enemies are still in development limbo. You see this concept art from 2013? Expect to finally see it ingame in 2020/2021 when destiny 3 comes out. Keen eyed folks will notice a certain art resemblance to Destiny 2's latest expansion. In the Awoken city. That is not by mistake. Half this shit was planned in the original destiny story draft for the first game and has been recycled and delayed for infinite DLC+Sequels. Also expect to see the ruins of old Chicago in D3.

Attached: cL3Mwk0.jpg (2560x984, 1.38M)

On the left
>The nine
Mid
>Uldren
Right
>Cabal

>or good gameplay.

That's nonsense, though. Even people who don't like other aspects of either Destiny agree that moment to moment gameplay is terrific.

Are you a developer or something. I've never seen these photos. They look nice.

concept art is sometimes just concept art, though. it doesn't always translate to "we had plans to make this into game assets". it's cheaper to conceptualize with drawings.

>Source: My ass

>If it's good
The games honestly are prtetty fucking janky but the story is solid and once you get used to the jank they're quite okay.
They're also free so no reason not to at least try them.

Not quite
You'd be surprised. D1 had a functional version of the destiny 2 EDZ in 2013. D1 had assets from D2 Io in 2015. Many of these assets were concepted, modeled, semi-finished and then left to use for later when the game was rebooted. Essentially left In a jar and "saved for later". I'm not saying everything was finished from the start, I'm saying most of it was planned and some of it was worked on.

Attached: dorje-bellbrook-db-destiny-013.jpg (1920x1080, 619K)

Actually source is from interviews with ex-bungie employees. He's a "gaming journalist" who works for Kotaku but Jason Schrier has a significant portion in his book talking with ex-bungie folk about Destiny's troubled development. I'm sure there's a paraphrased version somewhere out there.

Jason Jones has had it out for Marty since at least Halo 2. Watch the developer commentary for Halo 2. Jason mentions that Marty single handedly makes every scene better with his music and "he kind of hates him for it." Jones has this weird ideal for Bungie where no one person in the studio gets put on a pedestal above the rest, and Marty was exactly that.

This was documented years ago newfag. How do people STILL more know about all this?

>when you watch too many Marvel movies

Attached: destiny2robetz.jpg (700x394, 32K)

archive.is/NyEc5
>In the summer of 2013, just over a year before Destiny came out, the story got a full reboot, according to six people who were there. Bungie ditched everything Joe Staten and his team had written, reworking Destiny’s entire structure as they scrapped plot threads, overhauled characters, and rewrote most of the dialogue. The decision was made against Staten’s wishes, sources say. Destiny project lead Jason Jones and the rest of senior leadership were unhappy with the writing team’s supercut, and their reaction was to scrap it all.
>Everyone I spoke to agreed on one point: Bungie’s senior leadership, including Jason Jones, didn’t like what they saw. Some in the studio took issue with the rhythm of progression, which would have shown players all four main planets—Earth, the Moon, Venus, and Mars—within the first few missions of the game. (Obviously the moon isn’t technically a “planet,” but in the parlance of Destiny, the two are interchangeable.) According to one source, Jones also told the team that he wanted a less linear story—one in which the player could decide where to go at any time. That became one of Destiny’s key pillars.

which is actually a really weird approach. I don't know about their development process, but that sounds like their assets either take too long to produce or implementation process is slow as fuck for some reason.

Jason was put on that pedestal just as much as Marty.

Completely forgot about the moth people

TODAY I WILL REMIND THEM youtu.be/Y1OjUWw43co

Attached: 1560911443657.jpg (446x444, 144K)

>Forerunner City Bungie cut Forerunner City in part because, when they went through the concept art, they felt like they would have to give away too much about the Forerunners

What did Bungie mean by this?

Attached: pr2.png (620x535, 33K)

Maybe within the studio, but on the outside not many Bungie employees were well known. Joseph Staten, maybe Frankie, and Marty.

Explain in actual terms what makes the gameplay good.
Most of it is trash-tier MMO grind garbage.

you literally just made that up. I'd say the gameplay is one of the least enjoyable aspects of destiny if it wasn't for the horrible loot, missions and enemy design.

>aim gun
>pull trigger
>OMG THE MOMENT TO MOMENT GAMEPLAY
it's completely standard and nothing memorable at all in the gameplay department

D1. Early EDZ. Circa 2013. in a destiny 1 trailer. Before the game was rebooted. The final area would not show up until 2017.
(You can just barely glimpse the Traveler shard and it's lightning storms in the backdrop in this scene, but honestly the main environment should be similar enough to convince you. Crucible maps were made from some of these assets.)

youtu.be/EwOUi4JDC4o

Similarly DLC areas such as the Reef, Mercury Lighthouse, and the Saturn Derelict appear in this trailer.

Attached: Screenshot_20190807-012010.png (1920x1080, 2.15M)

I can't stand Destiny so I dunno what bungie is or has been smoking.

Because they knew they wouldn't be able to tell a compelling story for the Chief in one game, and didn't want to railroad the story for 343 when they took over the franchise. So they left the open ending for 343 to build off and went about making their prequel game instead.

Implementation is slow - supposedly their tools can take up to 2 days to move a single ammo node on an MP map, IF they don't crash - but this is for business and longevity reason as much as anything else.

Attached: Screenshot_20190807-012001.png (1920x1080, 1.19M)

I find that funny (if true) since you've got bungie games that have a map editor you change change shit with in seconds.

More d1 2013 era concept art. Darkness landscape. Expect to see this in D3 along with Enceladus & Old Chicago.

Attached: db_destiny_193.jpg (1600x938, 133K)

>supposedly their tools can take up to 2 days to move a single ammo node on an MP map, IF they don't crash
WHAT?

Attached: face help.jpg (290x290, 50K)

Gunplay and shooting are responsive and tight. Literally Bungie's forte since 2001. Enemies might not be as smart as Halo's AI, but the actual act of moving around a level and shooting dudes is still really tight and satisfying. Pic related.

Attached: 8OrL1Pc.png (1920x1080, 171K)

Destiny could have been such a great game
I feel like they had a completely different direction for it, before somehow getting it halo'fied by focus testers or something.

what kind of retarded ass shit were they thinking when they came up with the story for d2?
they start off by saying that you are literally the last guy with any powers after alien trump arrives, yet 2 minutes later you go into the hub and see the hundreds of other guardians that also have their abilities too
why would they even write a story like this? like they forgot it was an online game or something

>Microsoft knew Bungie were one trick ponies from the get go
yes, because halo was their first game ever, and nobody ever heard of things like myth and marathon.
those games were shit, not that they ever existed, since bungie only made halo.

Apparently they fucked that up majorly. Destiny was never exactly planned to have a map editor, more memory was freed up due to the way they could load things in a simpler way, this also allowed for the open world style maps to work.

One of their initial "big features" that was supposed to rival Halo's forge/theater type stuff was SPACE MODE. This was also tested in Halo reach. You know the campaign mission where you fly a Fighter and it's like starfox? Yeah. A PvP version of that was cut from reach and it only ended up in that single campaign mission.

For destiny, none of it ever made it through. Another victim of the 2013 reboot. If you ever thought it was strange how common earning new ships as loot in destiny, even though they only function as loading screens, well there you go. It's also why the first mission has you finding a ship. The idea was to have space battles in PvP and have it against AI when you travel from planet to planet. to feel more like a journey into uncharted territory. Oh well.

Attached: 6dfc8631500b7e79362a041c3309e793.jpg (1920x1080, 200K)

>like they forgot it was an online game or something

It's a self described "social shooter" with "social spaces" and yet the only way to interact with other players is through t-bagging and emotes. Think about that. You can't even post a LFG on a notice board or something.

>SPACE MODE. This was also tested in Halo reach. You know the campaign mission where you fly a Fighter and it's like starfox?
That was 5.

The vidoc for Shadowkeep has me hopeful. Destiny will never be the game it was originally supposed to be, but it looks like they're pivoting it towards that original direction. I just wish they would rehire Joe to fix their story.

>against a sequel
>Halo ended with "it just begun"
uhhh...

That was reach.

Attached: Space-Combat.jpg (1024x576, 81K)

LOL
>have to compare it to a bunch of console exclusive (asscreed lone exception) 3rd person games

and the sad part is there is more to gameplay being fun than it being responsive and tight. I'd rather play that whack ass spiderman game any day over shitstainy because as incompetent as the devs were at least they had some semblence of an idea of what "fun" is

suck my dick shitstainy fag. your game is a fcuking DISGRACE!

It was actually 4.

Attached: 3030DB47-EBF9-4915-AAD5-572A73893FE9.jpg (500x283, 33K)

Obviously original destiny had roots in fantasy bullshit, as can be seen by the fact there use to be giant tiger men in Destiny but obviously Bungie knew the fantasy shit wouldn't fly. So they just made MMO Halo isntead lol.

the gameplay as far as movement speed jumping and crosshair and crosshair place mentioned on the screen are almost identical to halo

guns fire with similar resonance as well such as rate of fire and the fact that hipfire accuracy isn't penalized, the guns feel very similar to halo guns I can tell just by watching and having never played that it plays extremely similarly to halo, they have the same mechanics

Go take your medication before you have an aneurysm. And don't come back until you can actually articulate a coherent argument.

>I can tell just by watching and having never played
oh just fuck off

Don't be too sure. It's been slowly turning into more of an MMO grind-for-gear rerun content game, sure, but that was not the original idea. The original idea was an adventure game with light RPG elements and optional co-op/trading. Sort of like borderlands? Anyway the maps were supposed to be way larger. One of the original E3 reveals shows a panoramic shot and claims everything is playable space. Final game, it's all skybox.

The gameplay loop would have been open world style, you would explore these huge maps on the planets, search & hunt down powerful enemies, clear out & reclaim points of interest (what strikes became) and them you'd go back to your ship and take your loot back to the tower to sell or trade. All the while there'd have been a linear campaign story like Halo. Some of these elements are sort of still around. They're just presented and used in a much different context.

Attached: isaiah-sherman-h8ywunh.jpg (1920x1080, 296K)

played halo since it came out fuckface, the games have the same mechanics down to crosshair placement on the screen and jump height

Reach had a space level before 4 did. 4's actually didn't have any enemy fighters to dogfight. It was a glorified "flappy bird" Dodge obstacles type thing.

He's right though.

That's not the point, the point is that what you said is fucking retarded

>the gameplay as far as movement speed jumping and crosshair and crosshair place mentioned on the screen are almost identical to halo

To reach? Maybe a little bit.

To the Halo trilogy? Not even close. Weapons are semisimilar but you will find guns like that in any fps. Enemy ai and player movement is entirely different.

Destiny is as similar to Halo as Halo is to Quake. Weapon loadouts, Guardian abilities, ammo economy, all vastly different. Elemental shield types and their corresponding weapon elements, for instance, are very mechanically different to how Halo handled shields and the dichotomy of plasma/ballistic weapons.

it doesn't take having played it to realize it plays exactly like halo

you have to hate it for another reason other than gameplay mechanics

You mean a Starfox clone?

Destiny is far more fantasy than sci-fi. You're an idiot if you think the only thing that defines a game, especially the creative process of making a game, is the gameplay mechanics being functionally similar.

Then again you use wojak so no wonder you're a god damn fucking twat.

disagree the movement and jump height is almost identical to halo

He isn't. I play Halo 1, 2, and 3 to this very day. I also play destiny 2. The difference is extreme. I never understood the comparison. Yeah you're a guy shooting aliens but that's it's, literally surface level. Everything else is vastly different

DesTINYfags getting BTFO left and right, how do they live?

You can fly and sprint in destiny, it's nothing like Halo. Unless the only one you played was reach.

Attached: 1560281158214.jpg (1920x1080, 407K)

To be fair the original Destiny gameplay loop, especially the one that came out in Destiny 1 release, was really lackluster. But regardless, my post was more-so in reference to the overarching story and Universe and worldbuilding.

the gameplay mechanics are identical, nothing you mentioned is actually gameplay, it's like saying the menus in quake 3 make it different from doom, without actually going into how it plays

>it doesn't take having played it to realize it plays exactly like halo
Yes it does, especially when it doesn't. Are they similar? Of course. Do you know that just by looking at it, Fucking no

>destiny is far more fantasy than sci-fi

The literal end game threat for Destiny 2's main story is a fucking death star on a solar system scale.

Because Boogie put them in their place:

Attached: boogie christ.png (629x355, 47K)

the core gameplay mechanics, not including shit that wasn't in fucking halo obviously, are identical to halo, meaning the basic movement and shooting

having played halo since halo ce has come out its obvious the core gameplay is almost identical

No, they aren't. You can jump much higher and run slightly faster in Halo. You can also pick up grenades. You are limitied to 2 weapons. There are no super moves or melee powers. You can use any weapon from any enemy. The differences are vast.

Call of duty has walking and shooting but no jetpacks, oops I guess it's like Halo & destiny too.

>Having weapons in inventory that you swap out compared to picking up weapons throuought the level isn't gameplay
>having a grenade cooldown and powered up melee cooldown and a super ability isn't gameplay
>having class abilities and class specific jump abilities to traverse levels isn't gameplay
>having universal ammo for primary/special/heavy weapons isn't gameplay
>having gear level and enemy level affect dps isn't gameplay
>having gear perks affect your build isn't gameplay
You should really just stop talking until you have an idea of what you're even arguing.

Having played Halo since CE, and having actually played Destiny, no it feels different enough to not justify what you're saying. But you're gonna keep arguing anyways despite not actually played Destiny

Having played Halo since CE came out and destiny since 2016 ish: you're a fool, they are more dissimilar than they are similar. Like a lot more. Shooting guys in the head who have shields is about as close as it gets.

how the game plays is identical to halo, halo also had equipment, halo also had Melee weapons

the only thing that's changed is how it's presented to you, everything is the same gameplay wise

This cant be real.

They don't call his Boogie1488 for nothing.

Ok, so you're just trolling. Good to know, have a nice day.

Even Halo was better than Destiny though.

all the mechanics you mention have a Parel ell in halo that works in the exact same way, it might not be utilized at the same time like it is in destiny, but gameplay wise looking at the actual mechanics they are the same, calling something by a different name means nothing when the game functionally has the same mechanics

COD4 had melee, COD4 had equipment, I guess that means that COD4 plays exactly the same as Halo, too. I guess Unreal Tournament and Quake play exactly the same because they're both arena shooters that focus on speed. Fuck, I guess Tribes and Quake play the same too.

Go play Destiny 2 when it goes free to play in September, then try making these claims again.

But that's all that Halo is, no?

hey name a mechanic destiny has that isn't in halo under a different name

Oh wow... Who would have thought that when game mechanics are utilized differently, the gameplay changes!!

>Mario & Donkey Kong
>Both made by Nintendo
>Both have you controlling a cartoon character jumping around grabbing Yellow items

Durrr Mario plays just like donkey Kong!!!

>They wanted to do more creative things
Hence they went on to make not-Halo

>Differences in run speed, jump height, grenade usage, weapoon usage don't count because I said so
>I also haven't played the game, I can just tell by looking at it.
I fucking hate Destiny, but you're a fucking moron

Supers. Classes. Perks.

This is the dumbest post I've stumbled across in a while.

>bunghole shills samefag thread
Gee, 20 years playing the same game, why am I not surprised they can't handle being called out?

you didn't actually examine the mechanics which was the same problem with your first argument, what makes the guns in destiny different than halo, very little, they're both accurate from the hip, they both do increased damage with headshots, they both generally have higher ttk, these things are poor opposite from the norm in call of duty, but are almost identical between halo and destiny, melee is also a core mechanic in halo and destiny while it's mostly just a panic button in cod

Super abilities. Equipment slots & Gear with stats. Perk trees. Vehicle summoning. Consolidated ammo & 3 weapons at once. Being able to sprint and fly at the same time. Sliding. Teleporting. Bonuses and modifiers (when standing in a buff/nerf zone.)

name what those things actually do mechanically that isn't in halo, under a different name

>what makes the guns in destiny different than halo, very little
A lot Actually. I play a lot of FPS. Titanfall, Halo, CoD, you name it. The guns in destiny function more like Call of Duty guns. They have ADS (aim down sights) on LT instead of zoom on right stick . Not every gun in Halo could zoom, every gun in destiny can ADS. combine that with being more accurate and enemy ai / players having less health, it's closer to CoD.

everything you named was already in halo under a different name

Gameplay wise, what is different

>everything you named was already in halo under a different name
Such as? Please address each point.

guns in destiny are still accurate from the hip, saying you've played a lot of games isn't an argument

hipfire is perfectly accurate so the fact you can ads is irrelevant the core mechanics between the two are the same

Proof of burden is on you to prove they're similar, not on someone else to prove they're not similar. You have multiple people calling you retarded, but you double down on a game you've never played.

name a gameplay mechanic that wasn't in halo under a different name

FromSoftware could learn from that attitude.

Guns in Titanfall are more accurate in hipfire than Destiny guns. In fact, in Titanfall there is no accuracy loss or increased spread at all when hipfiring/ADSing. there is in destiny. Go up to a wall and shoot it in hipfire and then in ADS. The bullet patterns will be different.

No, you have to name one that was. You asked me to tell you which mechanics weren't in Halo and i listed them. None of those mechanics ever appeared in Halo

vehicles, teleporters and the difficulty setting that increased damage were all in halo, perfectly accurate hipfire, jump height was in halo

you've failed to bring up an actual mechanic that wasn't in halo

like what does a piece of equipment DO that wasn't a mechanic in halo

I didn't realize I'd need to write an essay on mechanics to justify how they're different. But if you operate at a third grade level, I'll indulge you.
-Any weapon can crit shot, not just precision weapons ala Halo
-Level design has much more verticality to adjust for Guardians being able to jump much higher.
-Destiny doesn't have you scavenging guns from fallen enemies because you grab ammo drops for your weapons instead. You also can't, say, carry two power weapons at the same time because of how the equipment system works.
-ADS does affect your accuracy, just not to a huge degree like in COD
-In Halo, enemy health was affected by the difficulty you play the game on, as well as their AI and how smart they are. In Destiny, enemy health is affected by the level of the encounter as well as your own character level. AI is consistent throughout (AI is one of the weakest parts of Destiny, a Fallen Captain isn't nearly as engaging as an Elite. Destiny attempts to compensate by making encounters much larger)
-Rather than picking up grenades throughout the level, your Guardian has one grenade on a cooldown. This means you can have unlimited grenades, but also means you can't use more than one grenade every 45 seconds or so (this depends on perks and class abilities and other buffs that can change this cooldown)

Should I go on?

you didn't name a mechanic that wasn't in halo so I'm still waiting for you to name one

an actual GAMEPLAY MECHANIC

>new paragraph for each sentence
Begone, thoddit

How about you explain to me how those things have any parallel to Halo. They don't. They don't exist in Halo. Get a fucking clue you dumbass.

how can anyone take this board seriously when there are people UNIRONICALLY defending DESTINY. fucking DESTINY of all games.

and not for shitposting, but because they actually play one of the blandest games ever made because they don't really like video games.

destiny is for the skyrim/asscreed audience. guarantee you 100% of these posters enjoy those types of games. like they basically don't like video games they like something adjacent to video games.

>Vehicles
I said vehicle summoning not vehicles.

>Teleporters
I didn't say teleporters I said teleport. Warlocks can teleport on command.

>Perfectly accurate hipfire

Halo doesn't have this and neither does destiny. Both have decreased spread when zoomed/ADS.

Thanks for proving you never played either game. I play Halo to this day.

And the main threat in forsaken is a wish dragon that is a living monkey paw that's cursed space rivendell

Everything in the game barring menu navigation is a gameplay mechanic you absolute sperg

If it effects the way I move, shoot, or otherwise play the game then YES it is gameplay.

You can't summon vehicles in Halo.
You can't teleport any time you want in Halo like you can in destiny. Look at Warlock Blink Jump, you literally teleport around.
There is not "difficulty setting" in Destiny, which shows you don't know what you're talking about.
Hipfire is not perfectly accurate in Destiny, if you played the game you would know that.
Jump height is entirely subjective and you have no clue what you're talking about if you want to compare two different games on two different engines and call them the same because you looked at some youtube videos.
Supers are not in Halo in any capacity. Having a "megamove" that can be used to deal a lot of damage at once that is not a weapon is not in Halo.
The fact that everything has an ADS is not in the original Halo games.
There is no class abilities that cause your guns to auto reload.
There are no weapon perk trees in Halo, all guns are exactly the same.
You do not have a double jump in Halo.
You do not have dodge rolls in Halo.
You do not have different classes that are restricted to certain grenade/ability/jumps/melee types in Halo.

I could go on, maybe you should play the game when D2 goes F2P and realize you're being an obtuse cunt.

No one is defending Destiny, but just saying that it isn't as similar to Halo as this fuck thinks.

Microsoft owns it. They want a bigger cut.

summoning a vehicle is the same as one spawning next to you, or an npc driving one up to you

that isn't actually gameplay

can a vehicle burrow underground, or do some thing new GAMEPLAY wise that's different than something in halo

oh so shooting mechanics are exactly the same thanks for proving my point retard

If anything I'm defending halo by seperating it from destiny. This retard wants to put destiny on a pedestal by claiming it's the same as halo

Being able to jump on a vehicle whenever I want isn't gameplay? Are you sure about that, pal? Think before you type.

they made two dark souls sequels. and since then games arguably more different than dark souls than destiny to halo.

it's a huge goddamn shame
I think there was this one pre-release concept book that had details on the original game
don't know if it was some redditfag or someone here that had it

Attached: 1473121562951.jpg (3264x2448, 1.6M)

Shooting in Destiny, the act of pointing your gun and clicking your mouse to fire it, is much more similar to COD or Titanfall than it is to Halo. But that is literally one aspect of the game. Gameplay, even in an FPS, is more than shooting your gun. It's interactivity with the environment, managing positioning and movement, and uitilizing whatever tools the game gives you that aren't your gun. Halo's triangle was weapons, grenades, melee. Destiny has weapons, cooldowns (which include grenades, melee, and a class ability), and your super. That triangle is much more similar to Overwatch than it is to Halo.

the core mechanics of the 2 games are the same, grav equipment and grav lifts use the same mechanics that warlock jumping have

these things already existed in halo, they're just used differently

do you understand what mechanic means, it means an underlying force

Right. And Mario&Sonic can both jump and run and grab coins and power ups. so they're the same. Sure pal. You have knowledge, you lack understanding.

ARE THE ACTUAL MECHANICS OF THE GAMEPLAY IN THAT VEHICLE DIFFERENT, THE FACT THAT ONE SPAWNS NEXT TO YOU IN FORGE IS NOT A NEW MECHANIC

You obviously don't. A piece of equipment like the gravlift and a boosted glide are so mechanically different that you'd have to be a certified retard to try and tie the two together.

If your only argument is "grav" with my list of explanations to you you've clearly lost. I literally could actually go on to explain how wrong you are in every facet. You don't understand what a mechanic is, not me.
Glad to have wasted my time with you. Put on a trip or name so I can permanently filter you from this board.

Halo:
I cannot jump into a vehicle whenever I want. I have to find one and walk to it.

Destiny:
I can jump in a vehicle whenever I want by pressing the summon vehicle button

sonic could go on loops through the environment and walk up walls

SEE HOW THAT'S DIFFERENT MECHANICALLY THAN MARIO

NAME A GAMEPLAY MECHANIC THAT WORKS DIFFERENTLY THAN SOMETHING ALREADY IN HALO

they work the same they boost your movement in a certain direction

gameplay MECHANIC wise they work the same

Mario can climb up walls so it's the same as running up walls in Sonic. Same result. Just different animation.

>eh u shot n jup jus liek in halo :] mus be da sam

Here's a list of gameplay mechanics
Try not ignoring it this time.

Running boosts your movement in a certain direction so running is the same as jetpacks and elevators.

halo I can spawn a vehicle in forge right next to me

MECHANICALLY THAT'S THE SAME AS TELEPORTING ONE TO ME

You can forge in campaign? Wow!

can maro run along walls that change direction

THAT'S CALLED A MECHANIC

when's Oni 2 fuckers

No, they don't. One is a piece of equipment that has one use. The other is an intrinsic character ability that is tied to basic movement. And the warlock glide has much more utility and function than a simple boost to height. It can only be active for so long, you can pick different perks to make you either glide faster or have more maneuverability while gliding, you can turn glide off and on while in the air as long as you still have time to keep it active. And glide is just one movement ability. Warlocks also have blink, a teleport in place of a jump. Hunters have a double or triple jump, and I have no idea what Titans have because I've never played one.

IS CAMPAIGN A GAMEPLAY MECHANIC

NO

ITS A MODE

MECHANICALLY I CAN DO THAT IN BOTH GAMES

Yeah pretty much. Mario has clear pipes that take him in whatever direction they bend just like roads or tubes in Sonic. :)

Alright cuntwad I'll ask you to watch this Raid and let me know if any of the challenges in this guide are in any way similar to Halo. Provide explanations with timestamps in your post.
I can guarantee Halo doesn't even come close.

youtube.com/watch?v=z6TDzddVGWI

THE GAMEPLAY MECHANICS UNDERLYING BOTH OF THEM ARE THE SAME

In game they grant you the same increased movement

Are you going to bother replying to or ? Or are you just going to ignore anything that goes against your narrative?

Is Forge a gameplay mechanic? No, it's a mode. Mechanically I can do that in both game- oh wait, no I can't, destiny doesn't have forge. Oops!

Grav lifts only provide movement increase in the direction the developers intend where a warlock jump or titan jump can be directly influenced by the player to go around corners. They might be "similar" but they are mechanically different.

You have to be 18+ to post here.

bungie is independant now, and it's still shit. their best content was made by studios inside activision, like half moon, they had a lot of support because they couldn't make deadlines and were generally incompetent. they've also made their microtransactions significantly more predatory since going independent.

Yeah. The hornet in H3 can also ascend your character vertically just like a Warlock jump or a Gravity lift, so it's the same mechanic. Grenade Jumps too. And gravity hammer jumps. All exactly the same.

Bungie hasn't even been independent for a year. A studio can't pivot on a dime like that. As far as MTX go, it's really been a wash. Getting rid of the prismatic matrix was kind of trash, as was making most of the weapon ornaments a silver purchase with no way to earn them through gameplay, on the bright side you don't need to grind out lootboxes and hope you get the vanity item you want. And their plan for Eververse in Shadowkeep sounds decent. More items on sale for bright dust with more ways to earn bright dust.

Really, we'll need to wait til Shadowkeep to see if Bungie being independent will make Destiny significantly better or worse.

he uses a grav lift or jetpack to get to high ground, his base movement speed and jump height are almost identical to halo, once on high ground he scopes in with his br and shoots enemies similar to elites 3 to 4 times in the head which kills them, he strafes while doing this, he could choose to hipfire as the accuracy penalty wouldn't force him to ads

HOW IS ANY OF THAT MECHANICALLY DIFFERENT FROM HALO

in both games I can do the same thing

Okay retard it looks like you do not know how to read.

> if any of the CHALLENGES in this guide are in any way similar to Halo
>CHALLENGES

Come back to me empty handed like I know you will.
Also a grav lift is stuck to a stationary place where he can jump any time. The jetpack and double jumps in D2 are entirely different. Go play the game, you'll learn.

Having similar gameplay elements means little when actual utilization is vastly different. Could you make an encounter like Crown of Sorrows in Halo and have it function the same or similar to Destiny? The answer is no.

the Horner is a vehicle, grav hammer jumps are actually a good point, are you saying mechanically you can enhance your movement in a similar way with jet packs grav lifts and the grav hammer

>they should have let Bungie do it's thing with the amount of funding they needed

publishers need to make money, they aren't a charity. you also have the fact that some studios are just fucking badly run. anthem had 5 years and a fuckton of money, and look what they did with it. you can't just throw money and time at people and hope for the best.

Isn't it Rockstar property now?

This

he did the exact same things you do in halo

The gunplay is identical to Halo and there literally is nothing else that the game has to offer. No RPG elements, no crafting, zero.

i know you are being sarcastic, but marathon might as well have never existed, i'd be surprised if even half a percent of this board ever played it.

>he could choose to hipfire as the accuracy penalty wouldn't force him to ads
This is the most wrong thing you could possibly post. If you watch that video he rarely hipfires. ADS is almost mandatory past close-mid range due to how crazy the spread and recoil is. You keep arguing about a game you've never played before. You have no idea what's going on.

I blame Bungie entirely, I can forgive them for ODST, that was just an expansion made in a year but Reach was shit so they were already on their way to going to shit.

No, he didn't. Shooting a gun and jumping doesn't mean he's doing the same thing, or every shooter ever would be the same game.

ads wasn't mandatory there I have fucking eyes and saw what happened

Yeah man.
>Press buttons
>Character ascends vertically
It's exactly the same

you don't know what the word mechanic means

ADS is absolutely mandatory in D2. Saying "no it isn't" when you have never played the game or understood how it feels make your argument worthless conjecture.

hey read my post and see how it played exactly like halo, maybe you've never played halo so you wouldn't know

Gunplay isn't identical. It's more similar to Borderlands or Titanfall than it is to Halo. The game has leveled gear with perks as well as classes, sub-classes, and class trees. There's your RPG elements. And the game does have some lite-crafting, specifically with Black Armory weapons, complete objectives and collect shit from enemies you kill to complete a weapon frame that you finish by doing a horde encounter.

Why are you arguing this? Seriously, why? If you've never played the game you won't know what it actually FEELS like in comparison to Halo. Are they similar? Yes. But minor differences add up and snowball into to game feeling entirely different. Halo does not play like CoD does not play like Destiny does not play like Halo. You get the picture. In every game you do similar things with similar movement speeds and similar mechanics & weapons. but they ARE NOT the same.

but Destiny felt like a Halo spinoff

They should have.

Why would they do that when the ending was already perfect?

This

it wasn't mandatory in that situation, when he fired without ads there was minimal bloom, he could have hipfired there with the same result

he just used it for the additional auto aim and zoom

EXACTLY LIKE HALO, WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT

I've played Halo since 2001, got to 45 in Halo 3 and Inheritor in Reach Didn't get to play Halo 2 online a whole lot because I didn't get XBL until around 2008. I've played Destiny since 2015. I know how these games play, a lot more than someone like you who hasn't even played Destiny. thanks for reading my blog

He got more personality, wow.

I can fucking see that it plays like halo having played halo for 15 years

so denying it means you have a fucking agenda

As someone who has played both Destiny 2 and Halo 3 as recently as 12 hours ago, I have to disagree. Hipfiring works completely different in those 2 games. Can you get away with hipfiring in destiny? Yes. Is it the main mode of attack like in halo? Hell NO!

People are denying it because you're a fucking retard spouting uninformed bullshit.

hey man from the videos it's obviously almost identical to halo gameplay wise so just be a douche about it

Bloom is one thing, but bullet spread is much more punishing than in Halo. Using ADS will literally reduce bullet spread, where in Halo it is only used for the zoom functionality. It is absolutely mandatory to ADS in Destiny due to how bad spread gets over distance. The guns are fundamentally different from Halo.

I've played Halo for 18 years and I have also played destiny for 70~ hours so I have more experience on the matter and unfortunately i must disagree.

Marathon when?

Attached: marathon concept art.jpg (450x527, 57K)

You mean that boring ass part from the campaign that instead of leading to the Super Carrier led to a small ass fucking Corvette?

hey man you can't deny factual information that the games have almost identical gameplay mechanics

but if you go against factual information you align yourself with lies good luck in life

At least you fought enemies instead of... Walls?

Ye

You don't have factual information. you are statistically speaking a null because you have no personal experience with the subject matter.

You've played Halo, correct? We could talk about Halo all day. Have you played destiny? No? Then any comparison you draw with it is inaccurate by nature. You can recognize similarities because you played Halo, true, the game are similar. But you literally don't know what the game plays like. You only have an imaginary approximation. First hand experience is always more accurate than that.

Reach was ass, everything they made after was worse.

Those aren’t RPG elements. Even your standard hack-and-slash has more classes and sub-classes. And the crafting is indistinguishable from the usual loot-grind. The game is Halo but with tedious grinding and farming added on.

Factual according to one retard on a Vietnamese Basket Weaving board? This is why you still live with your parents, because you're a sperg.

I wish I fought a fleet of ships and not have firefight again, this time in space.

You mean after they missed the launch by a year and missed every single planned release? All because Jason Jones is a retard?

Hey, I made this just for you.

Attached: thisterriblethread.png (482x736, 535K)

They're not heavy rpg elements but they are RPG elements nonetheless. If you are wearing trash gear against a player with a well-oiled gear set with appropriate stats and perks, he has an objective advantage over you.

Destiny does play like Halo, Halo: Reach.

Lore wise, that wouldn't have worked. UNSC ships are completely underclassed compared to the Covenant. It would have been a slaughter.

I hate retards like you who just can't blame the developers.

If AC Odyssey is considered an RPG, then Destiny is without a doubt an RPG as well.

THIS

This faggot probably only played reach. It's like 50% destiny. The other halo games are nothing like destiny. And by that I mean 1, 2, &3.

4&5 are shit nobody cares about them.

Who cares about lore, you're going to give me a Star Fox section, you might as well go the whole nine yards with it.

Fair enough, Reach shit on the Halo lore enough as it is.

More Like Halo: ODST. ODST was a prototype for Destiny.

The worst part is that Bungie was sooooooo fucking terrible Activision literally sent them on their merry way with their trainwreck of a game. With the original contract they should have had destiny 3 out by now lol.

That game wasn't really that good either.

Agreed

I kind of enjoyed Halo 4's campaign and Halo 5's gameplay and multiplayer.

>Enemies are copy n paste of halo enemys
>Some super mystical object that isn't halo
>Both mcs barely talk
>Support character's live to blow you like halo 3
>Paper thin story like halo 3
Its a fuckin halo mmo with shittier story and fantasy elements.

Attached: 1564017675041.png (236x314, 144K)

>If they would of stayed with activision they would of had a third game out!

What’s more important, fixing what’s wrong with their previous title and adding more content or releasing an entirely new game with the same issues?

But ODST was kino.

Bungie was retarded for thinking they could keep up a development schedule like that. It's not reasonable. Release a game, support it with two minor dlc a year, release a big expansion that holiday, release two more dlc the following year, then follow it up with another full fledged game? And do this three times over the course of 10 years? That's completely unfeasible. How did they ever think they could manage that when every major Halo release took them three years?

Also forgot to add
>witty side kick ai

>Halo 3
>Paper thin story
Commit Sudoku yourself.

No one considers AC to be an RPG.
The shitty RNG, broken resource economy and necessity of using the highest power stuff severely limit any significant customization until one hits 750.

Bungie fumbled destiny because most of the talent that came up with the game was gone, which is why the initial reveals for destiny were so different from the final game.

It’s clear Bungie has no idea how RPGs worked, let alone MMORPGs. They should’ve made a single-player FPS, with Dark souls style multiplayer.

Attached: not an rpg.png (1483x736, 1.7M)

Is this why they restarted development? Has anyone here even read the book that slowtaku guy wrote about the destiny development hell?

Name one genre more shite than science fantasy, you can't. It's just an excuse to make their 13 year old fanfiction come true, with wizards that use AR-15s.

I think part of the problem was the game engine. I have heard it was impossible to work with.

343i played it smart and finally dumped the old ass blam! engine for the new Slipspace Engine, Bungie seems too lazy to dump that engine and make a new one.

>then follow it up with another full fledged game?
The "full fledged game" is not really another game like Witcher 3 -> Cyberpunk 207, it was just supposed to be a large DLC with engine improvements.
The only reason it was ever pushed as another game is the marketing push and greed, especially considering they kept their flawed engine. The only reason to create a new game would have been to revamp their engine entirely and we know they didn't do that, as they're constantly bitching about it. Keeping a stable MMO going would have been the best for everyone but Activision.

It was a good engine. In 2001.

>No one considers AC to be an RPG
Literally everyone considers AC Origins and Odyssey to be RPGs, you retard.

it's funny because Destiny sucks shitdick

Destiny 2 Context for dummies.
>Activision Blizzard is large shareholder in Bungie
>Activision wants bungie to make a new destiny title, and gives them the funds for it
>Activision isn’t a fan of MMO styled games / thinks they wont sell well, commands bungie to make Destiny 2 Less of a MMO game and more of a bland triple A title
>Because of this, Destiny 2 MMO related grinding is removed, Weapons have static perks that can’t be rerolled and theres little customisation to your character, exotic weapons (Basically the games super rare weapon type equivalent) are extremely easy to find to reduce grind time
>hardcore fans complain for the next year or two and bungie tries adding back features that bring back the MMO feel while appeasing activision
>they have a conflict of interest and bungie having faith that their community will keep their game alive afterwards, buys their game back for 100$M or so
>Bungie now has a clear vision for the future which is going to be entirely fanservice and address making it more or an MMO than the original Destiny ever was, which is present in the newest DLC adding the most character armour customisation ever with detailed stat tuning and such.

Feels good man

>343i played it smart and finally dumped the old ass blam! engine for the new Slipspace Engine
Their new engine looks like shit honestly, the graphics look on par with DOOM 2016.

I haven’t played AC past the second game. I guess they added quests in Odyssey, which let players make their own choices, unlike Destiny.

Graphics looks better than any Halo game to date.

Far more than quests, there's exp/levelling, skill trees, NPCs that scale, boss fights, gear with stats, etc.

>wanted to make a fantasy game
SO why is Destiny so unimaginative then? Most of the weapons are literally just modern military weapons with a superficial skin.

Attached: 12388128123.jpg (201x201, 5K)

>’we don’t need a decent game, we h-have scaled loot’
Lmao the absolute state of Destinycucks.

That's really not saying much considering ugly Halo 5 is.

>Blame Activision Blizzard.
Not their fault.

pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/destiny-2-reboot-jason-schreier

>“What Bungie decided was: ‘we can’t do this any more. This is just too much, this is too hard for us to do – the tools that we work with are really hard to deal with. It’s hard for us to make this much content. It’s just hard making content in general.’ And they said ‘we are going to do a drip feed of smaller stuff, and we’re going to put up the Eververse, sell microtransactions, and make money that way.’ And Activision said ‘okay’ – it was a part of their renegotiated deal – and they got to a point where they didn’t have to be cranking out as much content. And now they’re back to the same pattern, where they have to crank out these DLCs and just be making content constantly.”

>Apart from the revelation that Eververse was Bungie’s idea – which runs contrary to the popular narrative of money-grabbing publishers browbeating well-meaning devs into greedy practices – it’s interesting that Schreier thinks the year one content cycle should still be a challenge for Bungie. The studio has grown significantly since 2014/15, and you’d hope that they’d fixed the problems with their development tools, too.

kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

>“Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches,” said one person familiar with the engine. “They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.”

Attached: 1554484586094.jpg (789x750, 94K)

>343i played it smart and finally dumped the old ass blam! engine for the new Slipspace Engine

Did the old ass blam! engine hold Halo 4 and Halo 5 back?

This sounds like revisionist history to justify Bungie in its current state, CE ended with sequel bait.

To my recollection, only Halo 4 used blam!. Halo 2's Anniversary MP in the MCC and Halo 5 used a new engine.

Xbox 360 held Halo 4 back while both the Xbox One and blam! engine held Halo 5 back.

Bonnie confirmed that the team used blam! for Halo 5 and H2A used blam! as well since it's just a modified Halo 4 mp.

Oh, really? Didn't know that.

>I like wasting my time on grinding with no clear end goal content
Fuck off nigger, Activision was right all along.

That's literally every MMO ever. You grind content to get better gear to grind content more efficiently. To build your perfect character, to get the best looking gear, whatever. You do content for the sake of itself. The end goal is having the best gear.

>even to this day, Bungie shills still exist to defend Bungie

>Activision isn’t a fan of MMO styled games / thinks they wont sell well, commands bungie to make Destiny 2 Less of a MMO game and more of a bland triple A title
This makes no sense considering Activision is even adding microtransactions to 20-year old games. They love anything they can monetize, especially MMOs

>destiny had its roots in that fantasy game
Good to know they would have been releasing consistent garbage if it hadn't been for Microsoft.

Attached: Kyle_e9f977_7227870.png (640x853, 683K)

>The end goal is having the best gear.
In other MMOs you use the best gear for other activities. In Destiny you use the end game content to get the best gear so you can sit around and emote all day. This is the #1 problem with Destiny. You grind out all the god rolls for what? The raid you just grinded out for? The PVP that auto-reduces your light? That's the only thing Destiny has for it right now, an abysmal unbalanced PVP. Other MMOs don't have just "get gud gear and do nothing with it". They have actual activities that are made impossible unless you have good gear. You're a zoomer with no understanding of what a good MMO is actually supposed to contain. You're actually fucking stupid for thinking Activision was wrong.

Some of it;

Jaime Griesemer, Marcus Lehto, Marty O'donnell,Joseph Staten, Chris Carney and other old devs left during Destiny's development.

Fucking Luke Smith who was a 1up journalist and joined during Halo 3 's development is now a project lead and is probably one of the oldest staff member there. Its like a different company now

What's wrong with the blam! engine?

Microsoft kept their asses on a leash, it's no wonder their games went to shit as soon as they went independent, both ODST and Reach were testbeds for Destiny and both sucked while also being the first Halo games Bungie made without Microsoft watching their backs.

>destiny has its roots in the "game we actually really wanted to make way back before halo 2"
>we gutted destiny's story before release - well over a decade later

does not compute nor corroborate

>They have actual activities that are made impossible unless you have good gear.
So you get good gear to do other high level activities? Then why do you do those other, high level activities? It couldn't be to get even better gear, could it?

It's known to be very hard to work with and program for.

I don't even talk to people that bring up 4 and 5

Picture making the same thing
for
over
a
decade

Remember that Halo was supposed to be an RTS. The idea of making it a shooter was Microsoft's idea.
Good business decision? Sure. Good creative decision? Probably not for Bungie as they were doomed to just making yearly Halo installs forever.

I don't talk to people that brig up Destiny 1 and 2.

Anyone know how Bungie developed a great game like Oni? Did someone watch over them there as well?

The idea of making it a shooter came well before MS bought out Bungie. The Macworld 1999 demo showed off Halo as a TPS.

Rockstar took over development of Oni after MS bought Bungie out. Kind of like how Rockstar took over development of Red Dead Revolver.

>The idea of making it a shooter was Microsoft's idea.
No it wasn't. It was because of Oni! they made it a 3rd person shooter. It was after Microsoft got involved it became first person.

>Rockstar took over development of Oni after MS bought Bungie out. Kind of like how Rockstar took over development of Red Dead Revolver.
Stop spreading this false narrative. Rockstar's only involvement was publishing the PS2 version of the game. the actual game was developed by Bungie West.

Attached: 1551612034579.png (446x435, 74K)

Even though it seems almost impossible. I hope we can one day see the original 2013 destiny game. There’s actually a lot of undocumented cut content hidden on d1s (and d2s) disc that not many people know about. If only the proper tools existed to see the full extent of what’s hidden on its disc but until then (if ever) most of d1s content will remain mostly unknown.

Nope, it's to make money to do other activities with. Destiny is entirely one dimensional with just gear. There's nothing else.
Look at you, fucking idiot zoomer.

How the fuck do I wake up from this dream, pepe?

>Why did a creative studio with a diverse catalog give up on a series of games they were forced to churn out for 10 years without working on stuff thet actually wanted to make?
Really boggles the mind.

Go see a therapist for those anger issues, user.

What the damn are you talking about, they ARE that studio
>breakout hit with Demons' Souls and even moreso with Dark Souls
>wanted to move to greener pastures, but Namco played their hand
>forced two sequels of debatable quality
>left the publisher
>went on to create a new IP with Deracine
>went on to create a new IP with Bloodborne
>went on to create a new IP with Sekiro
>went on to create a new IP with Elden Ring

Did they seriously stick with the blam! engine all the way up to Destiny 2?

But, legally is that even possible? Because after the split with microsoft, who owned that engine? I can guess they each could legally use it ,but 343 and bungie just branched the engine off from that point.

It's crazy to think something that old still in use, like gamebryo derivatives.

Marathon was fairly influential though and was pretty relevant at release
Also banging soundtrack

>without working on stuff thet actually wanted to make
And yet still fucked it up. Destiny was a dream game they wanted to make, but the studio imploded 6 months before release for some reason.

Imagine if they could actually pull all of the original team back together and effectively rework D2 to even a fraction of what they wanted it to originally be, now that they're split from Activision meddling and can probably lay muscle on Jones (who was probably on some level being muscled into making it "palatable" by Actiblizz).

FromSoft's games are actually fun to play, which is more than I could say for anything Bungie has made since Oni.

Attached: 1535139683342.jpg (602x792, 103K)

It's just like how Call of Duty still uses idtech 3, or rather a heavily modified version of idtech.

>Be Bungie
>make unique and creative games in a wide variety of genres such as Myth, Oni and Marathon.
>get acquired by Microsoft and spend the next decade exclusively making games in a generic console FPS series
>get acquired by Activision and spend the next decade exclusively making games in a generic console FPS/MMO hybrid series
>attain freedom from Activision and announce that they will spend the next decade exclusively making games in the aforementioned generic console FPS/MMO hybrid series, which is an IP they now own

This is considered one of the industry's greatest success stories.

Attached: 1550323112633.jpg (629x419, 53K)

Makes sense because Halo 2 was a massive downgrade.

I want Marty, Joe, and Jamie back really bad. I know they will never come back, but I can dream. Bungie will never be who they once were. It's a shame.

I'm not angry, you are for getting BTFO underage faggot. You tried getting smart with me and got put in your place. Eat shit you stupid fucking bitch.

desu, I don't think there is any idtech 3 left in those games.

That's because it was a Mac exclusive back in the day. Was a cult classic though for those who knew about it.
I played that shit at my uni all the time.
Someone had loaded it onto all the macs in the computer lab and we'd all play it over the LAN.
Really fun shit. Lots of randoms playing the game, coming and going. Addictive.

the light level system is shit. there's no increasing difficulty options. and if there was, current weapon perks wouldn't keep up with it as they aren't designed like that, in the current sandbox boring perks like auto-reload are considered OP, and Destiny players consider themselves minmaxed if they have armor that can give them a chance at getting a bit more ammo from every drop. the rpg elements are shallow as fuck, with no interesting perks, stats that don't do anything, no incremental progression outside of an arbitrary light level, and an elemental system that is so simple it would be embarrassing in a mobile game...

in terms of loot too, they are the worst. they have items that have odds of 1:20,000 and they gate it behind tokens you have to collect to get one drop, or timegated bounties. enemies regularly drop nothing, or a single blue, almost every enemy in the game has the same loot pool. it could take years to get a god roll on a weapon in destiny because they didn't tune drop rates properly or organise enemy loot pools, instead choosing to drop feed items through activity completions and tokens.

How is Destiny generic? Name 5 other games like it.

Seek help.

Most of the talent has left the studio anyway, it is the Bungie that made Marathon in name only.

>How is Destiny generic? Name 5 other games like it.

You're right, I'm struggling to come up with 5 other games as generic as Destiny.

Attached: 1552946972299.jpg (700x555, 35K)

They weren't acquired by Activision, Acti had a decade long publishing contract for Destiny, with Bungie retaining the IP and their independence; now that the publishing contract has been terminated early, Bungie are free to make their own decisions in regard to Destiny and how they allocate what their staff work on (in accordance to the publishing agreement, 95% of the studio had to be working on Destiny, but now they're free to have more people working on their new IP Matter, for example)

Ok, O’Donnell is shit. He got his start are official Xbox magazine and hopped over to halo 2. Total hack writer

He was smiling as he said that, you autist. Watch the developer playthroughs of CE and 2 with Jones, O'Donnel and Staten and you'll clearly see that they were bros

are u mistaking Frankie for Marty O'Donnell?

Where the fuck is it? How long does it take to port at 10-year-old game? At this rate, there's no way in hell MCC in its entirety is going to be out by the end of the year.

Attached: Halo-reach.jpg (1280x720, 112K)

Bungie is a one-trick pony. All their games have the same narrative gimmick that started with Marathon.

>destiny
lmao its wank. fucking retard devs need to be on a leash

Does anyone know if the video related is real? Apparently there’s a ton of mystery on what the video is about but apparently this video shows the destiny logo before any other piece of destiny media?
youtube.com/watch?v=aA9oSO-HLQw&feature=youtu.be&=

>mfw I'm going to do another Halo campaign marathon as soon as Reach hits.

Those are fun to do every once in a while, same with Resident Evil 0-4 and Silent Hill 1-4.

Attached: You Gonna Get Comfy.jpg (600x772, 68K)

>That pic
This is just fucking lost planet

>twitter meme
Good job fitting in, user.

Marathon is obscure but it's really fucking good, if you played it. I remember back in the day people shitposted a lot about Halo inventing dual wielding in FPS games, but it wasn't far off the truth since Marathon was the first FPS to do true dual wielding (as in, having two separate guns be wielded at the same time, instead of having a single weapon with a dual wield skin). It had an awesome single player campaign and really cool online death match as well.

And that's all without touching Myth, which was a badass monster of a game by itself. Bungie was a great development studio. One of the greats of the 90's, but that got buried under Halo.

I don't see why it wouldn't be real. The video came out in 2011, well before the tricorn logo was ever shown off. The morse code says "embrace your destiny." The account is called joyueuse7, Joyeuse being Charlemagne's sword (Charlemagne is a Warmind in Destiny), and the number 7 being Bungie's preferred number. All of this before Destiny was ever revealed to the public. The odds of someone else making this are very slim.

How much of Halo is rehashed from Marathon?

Yeah what game company would want to be like Nintendo haha

Still pissed these got scrapped, you could do so many cool game mechanics with the mothboys, instead we just keep getting reskins of Fallen.

Shit I just remembered the tiger people from prerelease that we never saw

Shut the fuck up tripshit.

>publisher wanted a sequel hook

Most of the effort is going towards figuring out how the fuck to Reach work on Xbox.

The whole thing is fucked by the 8gb memory limit on the original Xbone.