How does this company still exist?

How does this company still exist?

Attached: 1565058831011.jpg (627x937, 162K)

They won't for much longer.
Can't wait for the clearance sales.
Knowing them, they'll probably go on another disc snap-a-thon.

3.71, not bad. Worth more than some european banks.

>jeff bezos
>digital distribution
>incompetent executives
They've suffered so much. It's time to put them down.

Seriously hoping this will revive local video game stores.

It hardly does you fucking moron, do you not understand business? they just laid off like 90% of their highest paid staff and store closures are near constant. I can't fucking stand you fucking CHILDREN Just asking FUCKING QUESTIONS WHEN YOU CAN FUCKING GOOGLE THEM YOURSELVES, OR BETTER, FUCKING GAIN AN UNDERSTANDING OF LITERALLY FUCKING ***ANYTHING*** SO YOU DON'T NEED TO ASK QUESTIONS
NO WONDER YOU'RE A FUCKING VIRGIN

What exactly happened in late 2015 to cause that dropoff?

shit bud calm down geez

But I don't get it. How do they still exist?

I was in England this week, went to a CEX in Walsall. It's true, they do reek of sweat. I had a small headache after leaving. The CEX in my hometown doesn't smell like this, what is it with Brit CEX

they probably won't in 10 years

i have literally no fond memories of gamestop
and nothing of value was lost

>highest paid staff
more like useless bloat
middle management MBAs are the cancer that kill large companies
they don't even get punished for gutting their respective companies, they just move on to a healthier host and kill it too

retail is dead, except and move on

It's been a long fall before that. Digital Downloads, Amazon/Ebay, and smart phones killed it. They even tried to get into the phone business.

It's nothing new for the company. It's owners use to be the board of Barnes and Noble with they're off brand Babbages.

When books were going down and games were rising up in popularity they started buying and merging with Funcoland to form Gamestop, then EB. Once that side of Barnes and Noble was doing well Gamestop was spun off with the executives leaving behind B&N to ride the Gamestop cash train.

Their purchase of Think Geek and Kongregate were desperate moves of trying to repeat the cash cow they had before with the transition from B&N to GS, only this time there is no open market they've been able to fill into as Kongregate was a joke, and Think Geek stores are trying to fit into the Hot Topic, Spencers, and Feugo market, which itself is already dying because spare a few malls like South Center, Mall of America, and Edmonton Mall, that market is basically dead.

10? Probably? 5 is generous. The writing is on the wall.
I don't really know how they've stayed a float this long as it is.
I don't think there will be a replacement a la Redbox- it just isn't needed anymore.

They went all in on pop culture trash and western game merch, not realizing it's a dime a dozen shit that even walmart and target dedicate entire aisles to.
They could have gone full weeb and sold anime merchandise, there's absolutely no national chain that sells japanese game and anime merch in any meaningful quanutity, they would have cornered the market immediately.
It would have been an insane pivot, but far more lucrative than becoming a fucking hot topic.

well, they do own some properties like simply mac and game informer, and they're diversifying a lot as of late too. if they were purely a "sell hard-copy vidya in box stores" company, they'd already be dead. but if it exists past another decade it will probably be unrecognizable from what it is now, in any case

Expecting the board of directors who only really knew book sales who just got lucky with a video game store and saw manga as a fad in their first store, they really never understood the pop culture market.

Expecting them to pivot while they are focusing only on cheap cash grabs is a bit outside the norm. I'm sure that the older executives see anime as something Suncoast died on and the younger don't want to risk the investment in a field now dominated by Funimation, Crunchy Roll, and Netflix.

Gamestop is run by children.

>corporate decides to end a marketing campaign
>time to throw out all the old merch
>we could just give it to employees or throw it out whole because it's literally worth nothing to us at this point
>BETTER FUCKING DESTROY IT AND FORCE OUR EMPLOYEES TO FILM THEMSELVES DOING IT BECAUSE FUCK EVERYONE ELSE

>oh, these games didn't sell that well and we don't have the space to display them anymore
>we could donate these to orphanages or sell them at ridiculously low prices to local mom and pop stores
>BETTER FUCKING DESTROY IT AND FORCE OUR EMPLOYEES TO FILM THEMSELVES DOING IT BECAUSE FUCK EVERYONE ELSE

>oh steam, amazon, and redbox are embracing the future and providing a fast, efficient, customer friendly service that allows players to get the most out of their money and spend the least amount of time dealing with bullshit
>we could also embrace a similar ethos and find a way to bring our company into the future so that gamers will still come to our store even in this realm of instant service
>OR WE COULD PUSH NONSENSE ON THEM, UPSELL EVERYTHING, PAY PENNIES FOR USED GAMES WHILE SELLING THEM NEAR FULL PRICE AFTERWARDS, AND MAKE THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE AS ANNOYING AND SLOW AS POSSIBLE

It is no surprise that the company is floundering.

any merchandise that leaves their store will end up in a competitor's shop and represent free money for them

FUCK GAMESTOP. They fucking killed Funcoland.

LONG LIVE FUNCOLAND

Attached: cPejeph.jpg (720x960, 98K)

looks like you are one of the laid off ones.

They could literally sell it for stupid money, people will pay crazy amounts for what is basically a cardboard cutout, just because it's official.

Instead they have to destroy them.

>xbox one
lol who cares about any store that died in the 2010s?
lol learn english you dumb nigger, i don't have a proper job and will never need one since i gamble on shit like this for a living
i bet you also think buying a Yea Forums pass is cucked but giving free labor to google everytime you post is fine

>they bought kongregate
>exactly as the flash game era was setting

jesus fucking christ, why can't they just put money where anyone with a fucking half brain understand the future is?

you think those execs know what flash was?
or play vidya?
they'e old and out of touch, they struck gold once and tried to do it again

gifting games they struggle to sell it's stupid because they are basically creating competition against themselves.

>giving games to orphanages creates competition

well, yeah? they also are likely to be re-sold and circled around.

Fair enough

>games they weren't able to sell are given to orphanages who then resell the games are lost money because gamestop could have sold them, but didn't because they couldn't before
Huh?

With a sign like that, it deserved it.

A business per share value is relative to the amount of shares its distributed. Whatever bank you're talking about may have a lower per share value, but also have more shares distributed, meaning they'd have a higher overall marketcap/value

>massive clearance
>none of the funko pop garbage sells and they're forced to dumpster it because it's too much to destroy without being charged with arson
>it all ends up in those swap meet stands where they have literal truckloads of unsellable plastic doll lumps

I know people that unironically think funko pops are going to be great collectibles.

You know, just like cabbage patch kids and beanie babies and hummel figurines and pogs and hotwheels and limited edition toys that came with fast food but this time it's different.

all they have to do is pricematch and they should have kept that rental service, huge inventory like that can destroy redbox game rentals but they didn't the dumb faggots.

That might be in the USA, but here yuropoors do still have hope for that kind of business.

They won't die, a jew like Bezos and Amazon will acquire them for literal pennies once they reach bankruptcy, use Gamestop assets or whatever they have left and relaunch them as an Amazon video game subsidiary.

>muh first edition charizard

lucky to get $300 for it same shit it was going for in the late 90's

this would be nice
i already buy all my games from amazon or ebay

Any resellerfags here? Once their inevitable bankruptcy is announced and they begin liquidating assets, how do you get all their good shit? Dumpster diving? Auctions? Going to their stores in person once the "Everything has to go" signs appear?

and do what with it make a showroom like bestbuy?

it's all going to be snapped, no fire sales

same thing that happened with toys r us, you go and look every day and see what's out for what price

I got 15 of these for $50 a piece because I waited a few days and they went down to 90% off, flipped em for 80% retail.

Attached: Radio-Flyer-Luke-Skywalker-Landspeeder-Discount-01.jpg (960x720, 446K)

but it is decent PR. gamestop doesn't exactly have a lot of that.

Man that's a good haul

what good is PR when you're going out of business?

they're like a hundred something pounds each as well, I had hire a guy and borrow a truck.

I just hope they don't close before I get my fucking copy of death stranding.