Japan's best games of the last 30 years, voted on by Famitsu readers

Do they have good taste Yea Forums?

Attached: I don't agree with this.jpg (1469x1456, 3.3M)

some of those games should have stayed in Japan

Only problems I have with this are final fantasy 15, two splatoons being on there, and the danganronpa
I like all those games, but there are better ones
Oh, and shift around some of the other final fantasies

Don't most Famisu polls get very few responses?
Still no list with botw on it can be considered good taste, although of the games on that list I have played the others were all prety good

Oh, and replace pokemon yellow with heart gold and soul silver

Why do they have Diamond ranked above Platinum?

>not a single western game

>Suikoden II

Nips have god taste

Attached: Saudade.jpg (2048x1200, 662K)

>Yellow
4 versions and they chose the shittiest one

Remove all of these and then it's good
> Splatoon (Original)
> Sakura Wars
> Shenmue
> Monster Hunter
> Kingdom Hearts
> Final Fantasy XV
> Pokemon Generation 1
> Dragon Quest V
> Tactics Ogre
> Persona 5

FF15 might as well be a western game, with how fucking casualized & dumbed down it is

Oh and remove Final Fantasy XI as well

Alright, great, good, bad, and alright.
Alright, shovelware, good although janky, bad, and mediocre.
Great, alright, good, great, and good.
Bad, bad, complete and unmitigated trainwreck that had potential, mediocre, and alright.
Mediocre, good, alright, alright, and alright.
The best missing Heisei Japanese games are Link's Awakening, Mario 64, F-Zero X, Super Monkey Ball, Symphony of the Night, Rondo of Blood (might have been an '89 release idr), Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Cave Story, La-Mulana, Touhou, Melee, Guilty Gear Xrd, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush, Super Metroid, Resident Evil VII, Dragon's Dogma, Street Fighter II, Nocturne, Shadow of the Colossus, and Etrian Odyssey.

>FF15
Im fucking dying of laughter

other than that it seems okay.

> Gen-Wunner
Opinion invalidated

>pokemon Diamond
>yellow version
>FFX
>Kingdom hearts
>shenmue
>FF15

Attached: 1543439629360.jpg (441x705, 67K)

>Rondo of Blood (might have been an '89 release idr)
It's 93, also Heisei starts like 9 days into '89 anyway so it's basically the whole year.

>CT
>Xenogears
>DQ5
>Suikoden 2
based jappos

Attached: 1563684707697.png (474x462, 405K)

No, that's pretty fucking bad taste.

Shit casual list

>Resident Evil VII

There isnt a single RE game on the image and the first one you would add is 7?

pretty bad list

the only ones that deserve to be there are

>CT
>Okami
>Ocarina of Time
>Xenogears
>Suikoden II
>MGS3

>ff15
>ff10
>splatoon 1
>botw
also, not a single front mission, silent hill or resident evil?

Attached: 1539784759520.jpg (636x466, 18K)

Who actually liked FF15?

out of the ones I've played

>Automata
was my goty 2017 but I'm not sure if I'm bold enough to say its one of the top 25 games of the last 3 decades.
>Ocarina
Yeah sure
>FFX
One of the better FF stories but the gameplay is kinda paint by numbers. probably not Top 25.
>Yellow
My dude its not even one of the top 25 pokemon games.
>KH1
At first I thought this was 2 and I was fine with it, but KH1 plays like ass.
>Diamond
I don't understand what would put it ahead of Platinum. Either way I was never a fan of Gen4.

Attached: 1458778629578.png (549x560, 258K)

>DRV3
BASED

okami is among the worst things i have ever touched

>FF15 might as well be a western game, with how fucking casualized & dumbed down it is
I wish people would stop spreading this false narrative. The gameplay in FF15 is your typical Nomura flashy nonsense (salvaged by Tabata).

And the world and quest design most certainly isn't western-inspired.

Attached: 123404034332.jpg (2000x1328, 496K)

>literally all weeb shit
jesus christ

Yes clearly the man behind Crisis Core,Type 0 and 3rd Birthday is the real hero.

>almost all of Japan's top voted games are RPGs
>Japan has yet to make an RPG with actual role-playing
>the only non-Japanese RPG, or game for that matter, to ever make it in one of these lists is The Witcher 3, a glorified action game with barely any RPG elements
Really makes you think

Attached: 1552946972299.jpg (700x555, 35K)

they probably just mean gen 4 games as a whole

>Yes clearly the man behind Crisis Core,Type 0 and 3rd Birthday is the real hero.
I wouldn't praise his design chops or anything, but he did the best he could considering how much damage Nomura had done at that point:

>Tabata: I didn’t actually say “Yes” straightaway to the offer. I took it to my team and we discussed it all. In actual fact, about 90 per cent of the team were opposed to taking it on. There was a lot of antipathy, because my team didn’t want to merge with Tetsuya Nomura’s, and they knew about the snags the project had encountered. It took about six months to reduce resentments and take control. Creating a team where we could all work together and be on the same page when we entered the pre-production stage for Final Fantasy XV was crucial, so I paid a lot of attention to making sure the team integrated well and worked together. I even gave a motivational speech.

Attached: 1554540706019.gif (514x601, 395K)

>FFXV
>Pokemon Yellow instead of Silver/Gold/Crystal (or the remakes).
>No Secret of Mana
>Splatoon AND Splatoon 2.
Jesus, what an awful list.

There i fixed their shit list, tried to replace the games with ones that felt related to the ones they originally had

Attached: Fixed(1).jpg (1469x1456, 3.18M)

What would the american version of this list look like?

>replacing tactics ogre with fft
>adding shit like twewy and panzer dragoon saga, which are the very definition of 'style over substance'
>adding ff6

Stop, just stop. You're just butchering the list with your own shitty taste now.

There is a good reason why Japan doesn't care about ff6 for example

The writing is godawful. FF6 is a game that clearly wants players to be invested in the story, yet it never bothers to give any of the characters a real emotional stake in that story. Terra, ostensibly the protagonist, spends almost the entire game in a fugue state and going 'what's going on? aw, my amnesia, aw, my head'. At one point, Banon, the rebel leader, even asks her if she wants to help the rebellion. You can in fact answer no to this question, and if you do it repeatedly, the game actually accepts this answer. Guess what? The game completely ignores your answer and just continues with Terra helping the rebels. How on earth did they go with this script? FF6 is a story where the protagonist literally does not give a shit, so why should the player?

All of the characters ring completely hollow. Cyan is introduced, and within minutes his kingdom and family is poisoned to death, and, minutes later he's cracking jokes about being an old geezer who's clumsy with Magitek mech, and we are supposed to take him seriously as a character and emphatize with him. Edgar, a literal king, joins the rebels, yet there's not a single line of dialogue in the game where he expresses any doubt or hesitation or other human emotion about abandoning the safety of his station. All of the characters are complete caricatures and it's impossible to take the story seriously as a result.

Attached: 1j9ywu.jpg (400x369, 77K)

>popularity contest by magazine readers
every mildly popular esport game
minecraft
five nights at freddies
skyrim
last of us
banjo
crash
halo
doom

Tactics Ogre is a pleasant surprise.
BotW does not deserve #2.
FFXV doesn’t deserve a spot.

I thought pokemon b&w and smt were popular in Japan.

>MHFU
I can agree 100%, that was where the series peaked. It's been in a downward shit spiral since then.

FF6 fucking blows and it’s popularity is based entirely on the anti-FF7 hivemind.

Seeing as GameFaqs is the only gaming forum that's been around for 20 years & has a registered userbase of 900,000. America's list looks like this
> 1. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
> 2. Persona 4 Golden
> 3. Metroid Prime
> 4. Chrono Trigger
> 5. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
> 6. The Legend of Zelda
> 7. Metal Gear Solid 3
> 8. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
> 9. Castlevania SOTN
> 10. Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate
> 11. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
> 12. MOTHER 3
> 13. Zelda: A Link To The Past
> 13. Xenoblade Chronicles
> 13. Persona 5
> 14. Metal Gear Solid 2
> 15. Shenmue II
> 16. Panzer Dragoon Saga
> 17. Metal Gear Solid
> 18. Resident Evil 4
> 19. Super Mario Bros
> 20. Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix +
> 21. Final Fantasy VI
> 22. Super Mario World
> 23. Lunar: Eternal Blue
> 24. Super Mario Bros 3
> 25. Suikoden II
> 26. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
> 27. Super Mario Odyssey
> 28. Final Fantasy X
> 29. Shadow of the Colossus
> 30. Super Smash Bros Melee
> 31. The World Ends With You
> 32. Super Smash Bros Ultimate

How the fuck is 15 that high?

it's a medioce unfinished mess.

>(salvaged by Tabata).
"salvaged" when the Hold O to win casulaization was Tabata's fucking fault, see

No.

> The absolute state of FF7 contrarians
Shitting on FF7 & praising FF6 has become such a popular opinion over the last 25 years that it is now contrarian to actively believe FF7 is the best game in the series

>TWEWY
>style over substance
Let me guess, the dual screens was too much for you, WRPGfag?

>Shitting on FF7 & praising FF6 has become such a popular opinion over the last 25 years that it is now contrarian to actively believe FF7 is the best game in the series
Who said anything about liking FF7? I am simply saying that FF6's reputation as best FF game is completely overblown.

Despite a few, japs onec again show they have good taste.

Because Palkia a shit.

I never understood people who think LttP is better than Secret of Mana.

>nier in top anything

opinion instantly discarded

> American website has literally Japanese games except Witcher 3
> Japan had all Japanese games aside from Witcher 3 once in 2017
Really makes you think

That’s what happens when you have a pseudo-intellectual thought police going around attacking everyone in the community for 25 years. FF6 fags are largely to blame for FF’s current sorry state and lack of popular appeal.

Everyone but me has bad taste.

>Tactics Ogre
Pure kino

It literally is the best FF game, all of the other FF games start out well & are ruined by horrible pacing or writing by the halfway point. FF6 is literally the original Star Wars trilogy compressed into one game. Which is why it's such a masterpiece

>takes off great games
>keeps garbage like botw and earthbound
Fuck off with that shit taste mate

>It literally is the best FF game
I can't help but notice you have yet to address the two paragraphs of criticism about FF6 posted before.

this list is ironically better
not a single bad game except shenmue 2

>No RE4
>No MMX games at all
It's shit

> Final Fantasy I - 638 Million (Grossed)
> Final Fantasy II - 356 Million
> Final Fantasy III - 584 Million
> Final Fantasy IV - 687 Million
> Final Fantasy V - 710 Million
> Final Fantasy VI - 859 Million
> Final Fantasy VII - 1.3 Billion
> Final Fantasy VIII - 811 Million
> Final Fantasy IX - 654 Million
> Ivalice Spin-Offs - 686 Million
> Final Fantasy X - 908 Million
> Final Fantasy X-2 - 764 Million
> Final Fantasy XI - 1.7 Billion
> Final Fantasy XII - 695 Million
> Final Fantasy XIII - 806 Million
> Final Fantasy XII-2 - 284 Million
> Final Fantasy XIII-3 - 78 Million
> Final Fantasy XIV - 2.2 Billion
> Final Fantasy XV - 546 Million

>that drop on ffxiii

Holy shit

Replace Shenmue 2 with another Dreamcast game like SoulCalibur, Jet Set Radio or Skies of Arcadia and this would be perfect

Never played it, how the fuck did FF13 make 800 Million in the first place?

Well FF itself was still the basically top dog back then and was riding on reputation. XIII and XIV 1.0 killed it.

It was still considered a prestigious franchise back then, legacy wise it was up there with Zelda & Mario. Even FF12 would have been a masterpiece if they simply made Ashe the protagonist & removed Vaan/Panelo. However after Word of mouth came out about how fucking horrible XIII & XIV were, it tanked the series reputation beyond repair. And now the series is on a downward spiral they will never recover from unless they pull a Call of Duty & go back to making turn-based medieval fantasy RPGs

>downward spiral
I mean, xiv reversed course and is probably more popular than wow now, and 7R seems fine and will probably be the biggest selling game of 2020. All they really need is for 16 to be put in good hands and it'll be smooth sailing.

Apparently the Heavensward developers & YoshiP are directing the next Final Fantasy game. I heard comments about it returning to a FF9 style setting, so hopefully it turns out well

Maybe because people were expecting something good from a series known for being good.

WRPGkun still seething

Attached: 19F07361-E489-46C6-9B02-064A4E94053A.jpg (500x667, 115K)

>persona 3
>twewy
My niggah just remove pokeshit

I don't dislike FF6 but it's definitely the weakest of the SNES trilogy.

>Earthbound
>Garbage
Botw being garbage is fact but you've immediately proven you have shit taste

>all the shenmue hate

I bet these haters are the same slugheads that think Nier Automata should be in the top 10 games of all time list.

Attached: whatt.png (785x461, 326K)

>Earthbound
>Garbage

It is. As a comedy RPG, it fails, because it isn't even funny, it's just ~lolsorandomandquirky~..

As an actual RPG, it fails, because gameplay is awful even by the low standards of your typical menu-driven garbage.

Shenmue was never good. Go play yakuza instead.

Tactics ogre and MHFU are based sorry sweetie

Isn’t shitmue just worse yakuza at this point?

What about the top WESTERN games of the last 30 years?

Automat actually that good? It's on special but I haven't looked much into it

When the fuck did public opinion on ffxv change? It was shit and the fact that you had to pay money to fix it after already buying the game made it even worse. Suddenly there's 10 Barry's for every sane human being who knows xv is bad. Fuck this site.

Shenmue AND Near a Tomato are insomnia-curing shitheaps.

>Chrono Trigger
Good
>BotW
Shit
>Automata
CUmBrAiN core
>Final Fantasy VII
Overated
>Okami
Good
>OOT
Good
>FFX
Mediocre
>Pokemon Yellow
Horrible lol.
>DQ
Sorry I am not Japanese I have never played a DQ game
>Xenogears
lol bad writing
>Suikoden 2
Good

Wait a fucking second this is just some faggots 3x3 expanded isn't it? Give me a fucking source.

this is honestly pretty good aside from one or two titles
>prime trilogy in the top 10
based

THE BEST
~ワンワン~

Attached: 24263625_p0.jpg (676x1000, 519K)

Dude Shenmue 1 is not good
Shenmue II is a lot better but it still ain't great

Shenmue 1 was hyped to shit because it was cutting-edge with a big open world, day-night cycle, detailed character models and textures, full voice acting, NPCs with schedules, etc.

But once that novelty wears off, you're left with a game that plods along with abhorrent pacing, constantly making the player wait around for the next chance to move the story along.
The combat is clunky and awkward.
And the story has absolutely no conclusion, having you spend the entire game on a wild goose chase where you don't get anything you wanted and learned very little

>he did the best he could considering how much damage Nomura had done
Tabata did significantly more damage by essentially throwing out the entire game and starting over, ultimately being incapable of delivering it on time, and not even being able to deliver all of the promised content.

>Tabata did significantly more damage by essentially throwing out the entire game
But there was no game to throw away. There was only a bunch of disconnected setpieces and cutscenes because Nomura, in his usual wisdom, thought it was more important to model every individual strand of Noctis' spiky hair before building the foundation for an actual functional game experience.

The fact that other employees within Square didn't even want to work with Nomura's s team is incredibly damning.