OPEN SOURCE Magic The Gathering (PC/Tablet/phone)

Want to play some old school MTG without giving your credit card info to Magic Online?
Are you tired of Arena and its limited selection of cards?

Well it's your lucky day, I'm here to shill for the best community-based alternatives. This stuff runs on toasters and it's pretty easy to install and setup. Let's start with

>Cockatrice (Win/OsX/Ubuntu)
Still pretty popular, this basic software lets you play various tabletop games, including MTG.
You're supposed to play with your friends, as it lacks rules enforcement and AI.
>cockatrice.github.io/

>Xmage (Win/OsX/Linux)
Written in java, this up-to-date Magic simulator fully implements rules enforcement (for 10000+ cards). It features a simple AI, but it's meant for two-player duels and multiplayer free-for-all games (up to 10 players).
You don't need friends, as you can play both on public and private servers.
It's by far the most popular choice when it comes to playing unrestricted Magic online with random people.
>xmage.de/

>Forge (Win/OsX/Android/Linux)
Highly customizable, this Java game is clearly the most singleplayer-oriented of the bunch.
It features various AIs with different personalities and playstyles, full rules enforcement and nearly every MTG card/set/official deck ever released.
It's pretty solid if you want to test your deck or just fuck around with older cards from your childhood, but it also offers a fair amount of content and modes (Quest, duels, challenges, tournament, booster draft, puzzle etc).
You can also host games and play online against your friends, and it even features achievements.
>slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

>Wagic, The Homebrew (PSP,Win,Linux,iOs,Android)
This abandoned homebrew was mainly designed for PSP; it's old and outdated, yet it looks better than any other fanproject listed here.
wololo.net/download/

Honorable mentions: Virtual Playtable, Untap, MagMa Magic Machine

Attached: 1559535094500.png (327x281, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6BXJ9s7-MtM
youtube.com/watch?v=BIPcpz2UqXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DNu3_pPLevk
youtube.com/watch?v=E9vc30PKgDU
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html.en
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
abhas.io/open-source-still-misses-the-point/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Here's Cockatrice
youtube.com/watch?v=6BXJ9s7-MtM

Attached: 1538351616173.jpg (1920x1038, 280K)

Xmage
youtube.com/watch?v=BIPcpz2UqXQ

Attached: 1553510545167.jpg (1920x989, 792K)

Forge
youtube.com/watch?v=DNu3_pPLevk

Attached: 1551030419610.png (1280x756, 1.39M)

Wagic
youtube.com/watch?v=E9vc30PKgDU

Attached: 1551324228027.jpg (1280x720, 159K)

I play forge every so often, just for the quest mode. Wish more people made worlds for it. Planned on trying to make one. maybe for Tarkir, but never got around to it and am just kind of tired of it in general.
Makes me wish yugiooh had something similar to it in terms of fun ai stuff and stuff like the quest format but ygopro is good enough for simple ai matches.

Will give it a try

Yeah they should really focus on Quest mode. I also find it a bit too grindy, sure you can change every value in the settings but I wish the default preference were more balanced

>open source
Please say "free software" instead.
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html.en
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
abhas.io/open-source-still-misses-the-point/

Yeah when I play I usually change the values up a bit and get rid of the weird token and life modifier things. I also remove some of the worlds where the ai decks are quite underpowered and the cards you can get are worth an absolute shitton just to keep things somewhat balanced. I think the world like ravnica and especially mirrordin may be worse off by combining the separate blocks, some things just don't get to shine like I think they should if that makes any sense. At the very least, I think decks using the best from each sets could be restricted to hard or very hard ai decks.
Anyways, it's pretty fun to stay in one world and try to make the best you can there. Had a lot of fun just screwing around in kamigawa, also made me realize just how strong jitte is.

But Cockatrice, Xmage and Forge are actually open source

please read the articles i linked. open source is a shitty term.
say libre/free/unfettered instead

>stop calling software with open source code open source
??

just read it
literally just semantic bullshit about "open source" not being concerned with the principles of "free software" and retards misunderstanding open source so you should use "free software" or FLOSS instead
imagine giving that much of a fuck about shit this minor

Attached: gnu+linux btfo.gif (350x258, 1.55M)

disregard this I'm illiterate

I like the Forge the most because of the single player.

nigga the source is literally open

i used to play on cockatrice a lot but having every card available to you leads people to do a bunch of silly shit like land decks

Xmage is great especially if you're new and can't keep track of everything happening on the board.
Also the AI is decent.

and how's that a bad thing? unless you agreed upon a certain format, anything goes

Attached: 1564943922366.jpg (1750x1275, 248K)

Because everyone using $5000 decks with every bullshit combo under the sun isn't fun
This is why cube is the best format

MTG A is playable without paying

Pic is MTGO though.

The best format is Kitchen Table bullshit, closely followed by low tier Modern.

i am doing precisely that.
enjoying slowly building stuff up over time.

no thanks, I already have ygopro and duel links.

And they're all shit because
>Cockatrice has clunky controls with no rules enforcement
>Xmage lags like god damned fucking SHIT at all hours of the day
Not tried forge or wagic though, not eager to bother trying anyway since the EDH lobbies on all these services are full the the most absolute "that guy"s ever, fast manna cEDH wannabe niggers.

How do you use the core file of Wagic The Homebrew on iOS? It's on a different file separated from the .ipa (executable)

lmao just play arena

Does arena have coldsnap/ice age cards?