Greetings, mortal. Are you ready to die?

Greetings, mortal. Are you ready to die?

Attached: 8235904386758.gif (256x256, 52K)

Are you?

Attached: 7lnlAND.jpg (1318x1257, 470K)

This game would've been perfect it had twelve weapons for every class, not divided between three classes.

>36 weapons
You crazy? 5 each would been perfect.

Nah. System Shock 2 did it right. Variety is always good.

GREETINGS MORTAL, MAY I TAKE YOUR ORDER?

Attached: 5a17063b943d2c592972fbc23f9a2fcad512308b.jpg (788x852, 133K)

>SS2
Apples to oranges. What you're asking for is ridiculous. Games like Turok sport a huge arsenal of cool and unique guns but even then Turok 2 has 24 guns.

I can see why they only had 4, there wouldnt have been enough time/money to make a full arsenal for 3 different classes.
At least in the sequel each weapon gets 2 fire fire modes since the Tome Of Power returns.

cringe

True but Hexen 2's weapons are either cheap imitations of 1's or just shitty. The Tome'd effects are generally really cool but the default firing modes not so much.

For instance the Paladin's weapons are almost identical to the Fighter's but weaker. Gauntlets > Fists, Timon's Axe > Vorpal Sword, Hammer of Retribution > Axe.

>but even then Turok 2 has 24 guns.
For one character, right? I'm talking each of the rather different classes having their own set. Most of the Mage weapons would be enchanted rings or something similar anyway.

Yeah can I get a uhhh McChicken?

>not McAfrit

Eh, I think theyre pretty good except for the crappy starting weapons. The sword kills grunts in 2 hits just like the axe, and the axe fires faster than the hammer.

I know what you mean and that's exactly why it's no feasible. 12 weapons for three separate classes would lead to a lot of overlap and lower-quality ideas. Maybe 4 each is not enough but most fps of the time had like 8 - 11 weapons total, usually with upgraded guns like shotgun to SSG or pistol to chaingun.

Greetings, mortal. Are you ready to hunt switches?

I know. But I wasn't saying "Raven should've done this and that", just what I think would make playing as different classes even more enjoyable and different.
Besides, both pistol and regular shotgun still see use after getting the "upgrades" in DOOM 2.

In a perfect world I agree but, well, you know. Also nobody uses the pistol once the chaingun is available. Shotgun maybe but there's so much shotgun ammo that you might as well use the SSG.

Attached: 1503960386935.png (493x328, 138K)

My accuracy at long ranges is better with the pistol. Emphasis on "my accuracy", I know it's possible to "snipe" with the chaingun but I've never bothered to train this skill.
Similarly, normal shotgun is much more accurate at longer ranges so you kill your enemies quicker.

What weapons would you include if given the choice?

Area of effect stone spikes.
Something like Colour Spray from D&D but have it confuse instead for simplicity's sake.
A kind of invisibility that makes you attract or even spawn (based on difficulty?) certain kinds of monsters. Definitely Dark Bishops, likely Wendigos and maybe Chaos Serpents, would be good to have more enemies though. Naturally would be very much visible to those enemies.
A spell for telefragging that simply uses line of sight so if you miss...
I know all but one of those overlap with items but it would be fun, I think.

Also something inspired by Firemace and Phoenix Rod from Heretic for the Cleric would be interesting. Come to think of it, many of Heretic's weapons could work well for Cleric.

Die of boredom from all the tedious backtracking, maybe.

>game all about exploration
>complains about backtracking

Attached: 74654132131658.jpg (600x361, 22K)

That's a few too many weapons to keep track of.

Why didn't anyone ever make wads for Hexen or Heretic?

>Shotgun maybe but there's so much shotgun ammo that you might as well use the SSG.
I wish Doom levels weren't so shotgun-centric. I'd like to use the plasma gun a bit more, but most wads force you to save your plasma ammo for when you inevitably get teleported into the middle of a million monsters and the only way to survive is to blast them all with the BFG.

Not sure about Heretic but Hexen requires a lot more thought put into it. As in you need to design a hub and all of its interconnected levels, where keys and switches go, and then balance everything around three completely different classes.

CUUURRRSSEEE YOU CORVUS!

Exploration is discovering new locations, not running through the same locations over and over just to figure out what the hell the switch you just flipped actually did.

I don't see why you couldn't just make more linear, Doom-style levels that are more about the combat. I didn't think about balancing things for three classes, though. That could be a concern. As for Heretic, it's essentially a reskin of Doom, so you wouldn't have to change your design technique very much.

I CURSE YOU
WITH ALL THE DESPAIR OF THE LOST CAUSE

>I don't see why you couldn't just make more linear, Doom-style levels that are more about the combat.
I mean you can but then it's not Hexen at that point.

There's at least some out there.

What wads are you all playing?

>just to figure out what the hell the switch you just flipped actually did.
But the game tells you what it does, like stairs have risen, gate has opened and where it happened if it's a multi stage level and unless you have terrible memory you will know exactly where you need to go.

>tfw no Hexen 3 with Galena as a playable class

Attached: 0.png (397x837, 434K)