Attached: vivi.png (500x500, 265K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/h8CmfRgxvVQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bloodborne

super mario rpg

These are the only options?

Shadow Hearts

Attached: Meaningful Choices.jpg (569x436, 66K)

Xenogears, Suikoden 2, Trails in the Sky trilogy, Lunar
Take your pick.

Valkyrie Profile.

Attached: 20a754bf41225b405c9ee3334ba89ce2[1].jpg (770x1000, 145K)

depends entirely on your tastes , user

Is there a mod or something for Covenant that lets me keep the German uniform on the new Heroine? Her outfit made me drop the game

Dragon's Dogma

An uninstalled JRPG

Suikoden 2, Grandia 1 and Chrono Trigger in that order. This is not debatable and no, there isn't a close fourth.

Unfortunately I have no idea.

Undertale

Would go from 7/10 to 10/10 if only it had a skip cutscene button for replays

Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 3

Attached: 1536245972163.jpg (1448x960, 1.15M)

panzer dragoon saga is better than all of them

Dragon quest VIII or Chrono trigger

nah

it is

Attached: atolm.webm (480x358, 2.84M)

This just looks like another game in the vast sea of ps1 era jrpgs.

Like what other game?

>As you might have inferred, yes, I believe the SaGa series is the greatest JRPG series ever made.
>Why yes, I do include lesser known masterpieces such as Genius of Sappheiros and the rest of the SaGalikes in that statement, it is only natural.

Attached: SaGachad.jpg (680x760, 106K)

The combat may be slow, but I love the world and characters. Remember, the best ship is friendship.

Attached: SoA3.jpg (800x598, 160K)

Sequel fucking when?

Well, Overoworks hasn't made anything since 2004, so...

FFIX is by far the best

Attached: Untitled3.png (768x800, 567K)

wtf i came in this thread to say the exact same thing, I hardly see people talk about this game

Hopefully never. Sorry to say it, but I can only imagine that any new game involving these characters would somehow fuck it up. That, and the fact that you already pretty much explore the entire world and unravel the greatest of it's ancient mysteries in the course of SoA. I'm just not really sure how to go about it.

Attached: SoA1.jpg (540x405, 23K)

Attached: breath-of-fire-4.jpg (422x382, 80K)

Is an arpg

Persona 5

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne

grandia remasters coming out next week on switch. are those games worth checking out?

Yes.

very anime games with fun characters and a kick ass pseudo real time battle system. Heartily recommend both

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Persona 5
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Breath of Fire III

Heres a JRPG series that is not NOT the best for sure
>Final Fantasy Games
>Dragon Quest Games

maybe a successor?
i just want more comfy airship exploration FUCK

You'd be right if Final Fantasy Tactics didn't exist.

This, Chrono Trigger, Devil Survivor, and KH1 are some of my faves. Don’t know if they’re the best but I still love them.

Attached: 5th anniversary.jpg (696x571, 106K)

Ahm ahm
TACTICS OGRE

Attached: 1509743664053.png (444x340, 43K)

The original, yes. The remake, fuck no.

>grinding every single class from level 1
>adding unnecessary extra elements
>gimping AOE spells so that you don't get any until later Chapter 2
>making Haborym shit
>turning Terror Knight into A FUCKING MAGE

That's also a problem. Imagine the MC of a successor game. The entire game you would be just comparing him to Vyse and wishing that you could just play as him instead. There's also the issue of how exactly to handle the Air Pirates now that the Valuan Empire is no longer the unambiguously evil force that's fair game for pirating. I feel the same way as you, I just have no idea how they'd do it justice without, I dunno, some massive time skip or something.

Based BoF chad!
Also, Seiken Densetsu 3

Attached: My nigga.jpg (680x447, 26K)

I love SMT games. Certainly the best monster recruit jrpg.

Attached: 1559870008022.gif (316x306, 1.05M)

Octopath would've been great if they didnt ruin half the dialogue for a teen rating.

please stop speaking the truth, it really does hurt

Tales of Vesperia, without any sort of doubt
Easily the pinnacle of both the series and the genre

>persona 5
Just because you like having a shitty harem doesnt make the villains and """"twist"""" any less shit.

Vivi is adorable.

of the ones I've played off the top of my head:

-TWEWY
-SMT nocturne
-Xenogears
-Xenoblade series
-mother 3
-paper mario 64

Unironically Golden Sun. People rag on the dialogue but no JRPG before or since has managed to capture the sheer level of interactivity and detail to the world that Golden Sun and TLA. It's not a surprise- Japanese games generally value story and grinding over a living world, which is why we're only recently seeing them jump into the open world market, but GS proves that marrying a lively overworld to the Dragon Quest fundamentals provides a really good experience.

Attached: 250px-IsaacPromo.jpg (250x286, 24K)

Persona 5, DQIII, FF6, FF7, and Chrono Trigger immediately come to mind. Hard to pick a single best one, though.

you're alright.

Attached: hoy.jpg (210x240, 20K)

SMT4 was cool too. I didn't like how straightforward the dungeons were though

Try out Strange Journey

>TWEWY
>Nocturne
>Mother 3
Pretty great taste, man.

i definitely wasn't saying SMT4 was good
i don't really like it too much, just use it for shitposts. did you play IV:A?
its soundtrack is fucking great though

I did. Cool too but the lack of customization on the MC and repeated mobs kind of dragged it down. I liked exploring the maps and bosses though. I need to try out DDS.

>did you play IV:A?
on my list, but after DDS

>harem
I fucking wish.
>""""twist""""
If you're talking about the one i think you are, it actually worked on me because i had never played a Persona game previously.

This.

don't take IV:A's plot too seriously and you'll have a great time, awesome combat improvements. also side with dagda if you're not huge on persona friendship shit

I haven't really been too invested in any SMT plot yet so I don't think that'll be an issue

smt has always been kind of plot lite but IV:A's is offensively bad at times, especially in the character department

At least the option is there to kill your friends and just be an asshole

>Dragon Quest fundamentals provides a really good experience.
Wow. I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone compare GS to Dragon Quest, and not FF. Refreshing post, desu.

Final Fantasy X
The World Ends With You
Persona 4 Golden

The Arland Trilogy

Attached: 016.jpg (2000x2907, 1.47M)

Absolutely fucking based

Persona 4 because I could pretend I had friends

Retarded

Persona 2

right now?

FFXIV

Is the original version hard too?

>wanted to play
>realize I don't have space for it
>emulate FF12
Oh well

Final fantasy 9 or dragon quest 11

Yes, but in a diferent way because the level scaling and stats are completely different between the two versions. The main difference is that in the original the game is basically over once you put Petrify on Haborym because he'll never miss with it.

Which Dragon Quest should I play, 5 or 7? I could play 8 but every time I remember that I lost my level 20 save I feel like crying. Also, no I can't play 11

5 if you want to experience its unique narrative and play pokemon at the same time
3 if you want dungeon crawling with blank slate party members
7 on 3DS if you want a long journey (it's the longest dragon quest game)
4 if you want a chapter-based narrative structure that has each chapter focus on different playable characters that eventually all meet up
8 only on the 3DS.

Final Fantasy VII
Anyone denying it is just being a contrarian edgelord

basic bitch

Based zoomer retard

X is an objectively better game, but people can't see it because they played 7 first and have nostalgia bias.

Just replayed Vesperia a month ago and fucking loved it. Forgot how good that game is.

Oh shit, thanks for this user. My friend was talking about Pokemon and now with the unique narrative thing made me very interested.(I want to play all of those you mentioned btw)
About 4, is this the one which the DS version had some important cut content and the mobile version is the definitive version?

Is the 360 version any good? I feel like it won't run well thanks to my gpu

>objectively
Stop this meme

Not sure about the cut content of 4. I played the mobile versions of 3-6. They're very good.

This
But anyone who claims pre-VII FF is good is deluding themselves.

least content out of any version

Here's this image by the way

For me? It's Etrian Odyssey 3

Oops

Attached: DQG_Guide.jpg (3376x1440, 3.14M)

i'll nitpick you here a little and say it's pretty rooted in original western dungeon crawlers like wizardry and less traditional jrpg
but good taste either way, i really love that game

those are the worthwhile games, also SMT
and SaGa have been mentioned
"traditional JRPGs" are mostly shit

FF7.

4th post ultimate post.

i have to agree with you on that
megaten games and etrian are pretty much exclusively the only jrpgs i play. haven't tried any SaGa games yet

Thanks, gonna get mobile version of 4.

Jbloodborne

It's all personal taste, I will still input.
ARPG: Bloodborne
Turn based RPG: Shin Megami Tensei IV/Nocturne
Dungeon Crawler: SMT Strange Journey/Etrian Odyssey 3
SRPG: Fire Emblem Conquest for gameplay only, or SMT Devil Survivor, ( I haven't played Disgaea)
Xenoblade Chronicles is also a great one.

I don't know why RPGs are my favorite genre, the focus in customization, story, ost and art in them are great.

In general SMTs are my favorite rpg saga.
Persona 3 story wise is my favorite one
Nocturne for it's uniqueness and dungeons
SMT IV because my experience with it was the best for some reason.

Forgot to mention, metroidvania rpg likes: Hollow Knight.

Earthbound.

What are some good jrpgs that came out this year? I played God Eater 3 and that was pretty fun. I heard Octopath was meh and not worth the full $60 price tag.

Attached: !1559262573296.jpg (1408x2000, 351K)

Attached: ao cover.jpg (600x1030, 182K)

this game is seriously underrated. it not having an official localization is a fucking crime, shame the state the series is in now.

Octopath Traveler

Name a turn based battle system better than Octopath's.

Grandia 2
Mana Khemia

Obligatory posting of the most headbanging final boss theme ever.
youtu.be/h8CmfRgxvVQ

>Persona 5
Dude...

Lots of non-JRPG recommendations in this thread, but I'll assume people are just pretending to be retarded.

Final Fantasy VI
Persona games if you want a VN with some actual gameplay in it.

I'm waiting for its price drop but it seems promising.

What counts as a non-JRPG?

>i just want more comfy airship exploration FUCK

have you tried Nostalgia for the DS?

most plebian taste ITT

never heard of it, sell me on it

JRPG is simply a Japanese-style RPG, which is what you call menu-based RPGs that don't fall into another genre.

So, do Tales not count as JRPGs? Does TWEWY not count as a JRPG?

very standard jrpg with a sorta realworld steampunk setting. The airships fights are pretty unique but everyone else is just going through the motions

>never heard of it, sell me on it

It's kinda like Skies of Arcadia where you go around and explore the world (which is some alt timeline Earth in the 1930's), locations to explore, landmarks to find, airship battles, plot tokens to find, typical JRPG stuff.

It's okay but generic but it did kinda hit some of the same beats as Skies but it will not hit that level.

>do Tales not count as JRPGs
Tales is a JRPG and ARPG hybrid. I'd say it counts but some people are anal about hybrids.
It has been some years since I played TWEWY but I remember it as being an almost exclusively action-like game, not a JRPG.

Don't respond to autists.

xenogears

Attached: d630wp-4da9d67c-eff2-4f67-bec6-01af55dc776a.jpg (1024x768, 158K)

VP2 was absolute kino. I just wish they'd release a proper sequel rather than milk a dying mobage.

It's mediocre as fuck but that's what they were going for and it somehow makes the game that much more enjoyable.

sounds interesting, i'll check it out
on a similar note, i wonder why no indie dev has tried to mimic something like skies of arcadia with airship exploration. it seems like there really could be an audience for that kind of thing
not even just indie devs, game devs in particular, it's a seriously underused setting

Attached: .hack infection cover.jpg (1248x1872, 430K)

>It has been some years since I played TWEWY but I remember it as being an almost exclusively action-like game, not a JRPG.
Really, man?

Attached: great game design.jpg (512x384, 96K)

If you think that any of those games are better then Persona 5, besides BoF3, then you're inbred. They're all shit, Persona 5 at least has the redeeming quality of having hot girls in it.

That's not the combat part, it's just the menu screen.

Wish they made more games with this setting. .Hack and Crosscode were the only games besides Eurotruck that made me feel comfy

You can still level up, increase your stats, and try on different equipment in the game, though.

you mean like every rpg in existence? not just jrpgs?

All those things are compatible with the broarder term RPG. The way combat is fought is done like an action game, hence it's an ARPG.

You already posted it OP.

I tend to like such adventures, so I'd say

1) FFIX
2) Skies of Arcadia
3) Xenoblade 2

All 3 featuring a stellar soundtrack, which is 50% of what makes a jRPG.

Then what’s stopping TWEWY from being classified as a JRPG as well?

Like Call of Duty I guess

The fact that the combat isn't menu-based.

That’s fucking dumb, though. Does KH: Chain of Memories not count as a JRPG then?

I don't know about Chain of Memories specifically, but Kingdom Hearts is also Action, yeah. Final Fantasy XV is action as well, whereas XIII is not.

>he way combat is fought is done like an action game, hence it's an ARPG.

which can be JRPGs like:
The Kingdom Hearts series
FF15 (if you can call Holding O "action")
The Soulsborne series

But KH also has a menu-based combat system. So, by your logic, it should be considered a JRPG as well.

>Persona 5
Yikes. I could definitely understand 4, but 5? You like Sword Art Online as well?

SRPGs>DRPGs>JRPGs

Attached: 1433422352948.jpg (295x300, 35K)

No, dumbass. It is literally an RPG made in Japan. Stop being retarded.

slayers the JRPG has been translated for 6 years now
someone DIED translating this for you

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 2.25M)

I haven't played many and I'm not including ANY game with RANDOM ENCOUNTERS since they're all shit.

1. Persona 4 Golden 10/10
2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 8/10
3. Persona 3 Portable 7/10
4. Ni No Kuni 2 6/10
5. Xenoblade Chronicles 1 6/10 (would be higher if I could play it on a portable device)

I'm relatively new to JRPGs (P3P was my first back in 2012) and don't finish many since they are too long/shitty.

Worst JRPGs ever? It's between Octopath Traveler and Persona 5, with the latter being the most disappointing entry of all time and the game that killed the Persona franchise to me (which was my favorite franchise). I would rather kill myself than call myself a Persona fan solely due to Persona 5 existing.

>P5

Attached: 1501909033694.png (504x529, 216K)

Shining Force 1, Phantasy Star IV, and Koudelka. They might not be the best though, I just like them and they're pretty streamlined compared to most of the genre.

>5. Xenoblade Chronicles 1 6/10 (would be higher if I could play it on a portable device)

a 3DS (new 3DS only) version exists

>Koudelka
based

Not buying that. Give me Switch version NOW.

>because i had never played a Persona game previously.
Don't worry, we know.

Personal Top 10.

1.Suikoden 2
2.Skies of Arcadia
3.Dragon Quest 8
4.Grandia
5.Shadow Hearts Convenant
6.Star Ocean Second Story
7.Persona 4 Golden
8.Tales of Symphonia
9.Chrono Trigger
10.Phantasy Star 4

Honorable Mentions to Thousand Arms and Radiata Stories. While I dont think they are the best, I love them dearly.

Attached: NataO.png (1024x1024, 205K)

/thread
Why are JRPGs so abysmally shallow? Even games like Resonance of Fate end up horribly repetitive.

Attached: 1479624998669.jpg (3000x1600, 967K)

>Shining Force 1
My fucking nigger. I played the shit out of that game when I was a kid. Made me fall in love with the srpg genre.

I die a little inside every time someone says to start with 2. Part 1 is such a well-constructed game with great world-building and NPC interaction. Plus the character designs are great.

darksouls or Ys oath in felghana

this.

Final Fantasy V

Not with that second disk.

Xenogears
TWEWY
Tales of Symphonia
Terranigma
Grandia 2

Xenoblade 2 would be in my top 5 if the main characters designs, writing in a couple of important scenes, and the pacing were all better. It’s so close to being fantastic that it’s a shame things that could have easily been altered drag it down.

Literally nobody follows these rules

Most people are braindead

Aw fuck it, Legend of Dragoon

What's the most obscure JRPG you played Yea Forums?

Attached: 1565099448077.jpg (634x423, 28K)

FFX was one of the worst in the series and can barely be considered FF.

Attached: Fftbox.jpg (220x220, 16K)

Is SMT actually good or just one of those memed games?
Evergrace

FFIX and Persona 5

Attached: Evil_Forest_Fountain_by_Alberto_Forero.jpg (500x283, 80K)

SMT is a meme because of its awful fanbase. The games themselves can be pretty good in the combat department, but they all have tons of flaws that fans like to gloss over.

Flaws like what?

Shit story, shit characters, basic dungeon design, and depending on the game awful balancing and encounter rate

>If you don't like popular thing I like, you're trying to be edgy
I like FF7 but swear to god its fanbase is the absolute worst in the franchise.

>basic dungeon design
except all the main game franchise smt games have impressive and well designed dungeons lol
just take a look at strange journey or nocturne

In case you're still around, there's links to download them on the dragon quest general on /vg/

Not a bad breakdown but Dark Souls is a bad example of an ARPG. Something like Secret of Mana or Crystalis would be better. Dark Souls is almost entirely an action (or action-adventure) game that only sneaks into an ARPG classification on a technicality by virtue of it having a leveling system.

also maybe dragons dogma as an example of japanese arpg