Raytracing is a me-

>raytracing is a me-

Attached: minecraft.jpg (3440x1440, 3.39M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NehSihoHCpc
youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8DlOkpqEQ
youtu.be/Mj6jF7I2s10
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>-m-
...actually this looks pretty coo-
>minecraft
>-e

me

what's wrong with minecraft?

Raytracing is a meme because it can't be used effectively in modern games on current hardware. It's premature.

-aningless gimmick

MARIIIOOOOOOOOOOO

nanana nana na na

Na na na nanana nanananana dp the mario swing yojr arms feom sidw tos die lets gonits tome to go dp tje mario take 9ne step and then ahai leys go its time to go do tje mario nenenenene ne

*BING BING BING BIBG KNGKKIGNGK*
waaaahooOoooOoOOOoOOOOOOOOOOoOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOAAAAAAAOOOOOOoooo

*bowser laufh*

Attached: nX2DJ10N6Z.png (300x250, 39K)

Attached: minecraft2.jpg (3440x1440, 3.49M)

a bit like your birth then

same shit happened with anti aliasing and ambient occlusion. doesn't stop it being any less of a breakthrough

>raytracing
>literally holy grail of realism
>used in animated movies for a decade
>gimmick

nothing wrong with minecraft, it's just that applying ray-tracing to it is retarded. Minecraft has an indelible art style that is ruined by shaders and ray-tracing

Putting raytracing in Minecraft of all fucking games seems counter-intuitive.

It will, in practice, always be premature. The basic problem with raytracing is that it relies on two things that GPUs are hilariously bad at: recursion (and/or arbitrary looping) and random memory access. But it's not really feasible to design a very highly threaded processor that doesn't run into these problems.

Are you just being obtuse? That's what makes it a meme right now. Especially in jewvidia's proprietary format. Nobody is saying that, many years down the line, raytracing won't be a vital part of vidya graphics. What's being said is that the hardcore shilling for it that's going on *RIGHT NOW* makes it a meme, because it's not something anyone is actually going to make use of with current hardware.

Jesus its not that hard.

Attached: also_works_for_godrays_just_give_him_a_godbeard.jpg (1246x419, 115K)

Raytracing is also not the holy grail of realism, because it's utterly useless for soft lighting (aka radiocity). It's fine for things that are, you know, per-ray, like hard shadows, reflection, and refraction, but it can't give you penumbral shadows or anything like that. So you have to fall back on things like SSAO, and then what are you really gaining from raytracing?

Raytracing will ALWAYS be redundant and impractical. It requires to much resources for too little results. Whatever resource you waste on raytracing is better off being used on anything else.

>blown out colors on repeating plants
Fuck that hurts my eyes to even looks at.

The holy grail of realism is AI. You could have the most photorealistic game ever made but the illusion is shattered instantly if your companion is running constantly into a wall.

low poly style plus 'high tech' reflections is retarded
implement it in crysis then I'll care but they won't because it is unoptimized garbage tech slapped onto a card so retards buy it so they can say they spent $1k for reflections in minecraft at 20 fps

Absolutely retarded post.

Is ray tracing really used in movies if it’s not calculated at real time?
Baked lighting also uses ray tracing when it’s being created, but it’s really ray tracing

It's a mod, not something from Nvidia and it's not just reflections.
youtube.com/watch?v=NehSihoHCpc

>Is ray tracing really used in movies if it’s not calculated at real time?
Yes it is. Why the fuck wouldn't it be? There's a reason they make a distinction for real-time raytracing.

you are dumb.

So why aren’t baked lights called ray tracing when ray tracings was used during the “baking”
In both you precalculate the rays and just store the output

Never mind, I misread your post

>implying most people would even notice a difference in lighting methods

First-gen AO and AA (2x2, 4x4, edge-detect) didn't completely tank performance the way raytracing does, or need denoising passes that further tanks shit

I have an RTX 2060.

>oh boy, this lighting is totally worth the silky smooth 20fps I'm now getting on my 800 dollar card!

you know you can get this look 1 for 1 in unreal engine 4 with grayboxing and some fancy faggot material you don't need to pay $800 for a card

Attached: ue4_archvis.jpg (1920x1080, 269K)

It's actually nice but needs more time

Ohh what's the matter you little bitch, is 800 dollars too much for the fuckin' faggot pussy cocksucker?

Attached: image.jpg (340x322, 83K)

>Indelible
Try again

looks like trash

I remember playing with these kind of shaders like 7 or more years ago.

Whats suddenly so special about it?

20fps is too little

nvidia's gimmick marketing. They're trying to convince people they need to buy their overpriced/underperforming RTX cards because >MUH RAYTRACING even though right now it's more or less fucking useless for games, and will continue to be for many years until we reach a point where it can be implemented without bringing even the most high-end GPUs to a sputtering crawl.

yeah im sure you played around with raytracing 7 years ago

Then get a better CPU, retard.

Attached: image.jpg (1078x1360, 295K)

I played around with ray tracing 20 years ago using VRay in 3DMax

are nvidia fanboys the most sad fanbase ever? they pay more for everything, their cuckboi company makes every else licence stuff while AMD develops shit and lets others run with it.

I think it demonstrates how unnoticeable ray tracing is compared to all the shortcuts that are used to imitate. Yes, ray tracing looks better. No, it isn't worth investing in a RTX card at current prices.

He's talking about Optifine shaders and he's not wrong, it looks very similar.

raytracing will always be taxing retard

The point I'm making is that even the high-end raytracing cards are shit-tier performance with RTX enabled. And that therefore it's not worth it.

Attached: dexter facepalm.png (383x352, 289K)

>how unnoticeable ray tracing is
It really fucking isn't, you're just a clueless brainlet who thinks RTX = raytracing.

Got a map download?

I don't get how anyone can be a nvidia fanboy, period. Their kikery is absolutely inexcusable. I absolutely understand buying nvidia cards, especially in situations where there's no other competition, but I don't understand the mindset of actually LIKING the company.

Thank god the navi cards from amd look decent. About fucking time there's some competition in the GPU market.

yikes, try harder, shareholder

Attached: 1564573276635.jpg (1676x644, 217K)

I mean you're not wrong there. Every comparison that demonstrates
>RTX ON
just makes reflections look better or have less mistakes like when what the water is supposed to be reflecting is offscreen. Barely noticeable.

>barely noticeable
halving the framerate sure is noticeable

Turn your monitor on. You're looking at your reflection.

I think Minecraft is ugly as fuck without modding the textures and shaders

I've literally never played minecraft, or know anything about it. What do you do in it/why is it so popular. I don't want to look it up on Youtube because all my recommended videos will turn into minecraft videos

Attached: 580b585b2edbce24c47b29f6.png (384x313, 39K)

Just wait a couple years and the lack of raytracing will be just as noticeable as the lack of ambient occlusion

i'm with this guy, there's better demos

Not arguing that we shouldn't pursue ray tracing, just saying that currently, we fake lighting well enough that the extra resources to use ray tracing for reflections and shadows isn't really worth it.

>muh reflections its just reflections!!!!
And it isn't true for RTX either. Control has contact shadows, global illumination RTX as well

Its fun to make things

key part there being "in a couple of years".
This is why raytracing is a meme. It's retarded to spend extra for underwhelming half-baked tech now that you won't even be able to use for anything. If, in 2023, raytracing is now standard and a normal feature on graphics cards and it's implemented in a way that doesn't absolutely kill performance, then that would be the time to buy a raytracing card. Not now. Right now it's just a gimmick

holy cope

Attached: a69bb59a1c24fde4cd8e35bd7003cff7.jpg (1002x1054, 259K)

they'll probably just keep doing what they already do, disable things they can easily do in rasterization and leave it up to ray tracing. basically the equivalent of "graphics on/off" switch in the menu. Much like how metro exodus did it.

Nvidia said it well and clearly - ray tracing won't be a thing until 2023.

-aningless gimmick for idiots.

great argument

Not him, but why are arguing with trolls
If morons like you weren’t so frivolous with (you)s maybe we can have decent discussion on this site again

Underrated post

It has to start somewhere.
The witcher 2 had an "ubersampling" option that completely raped performances back then, now downsampling is something that everyone does and that's even natively supported in some games

I think that's just because the witcher 2 was an unoptimized mess of cobbled together middleware with no concept of optimization between the different components. The game itself has lag in its UI because scaleform is taking over in front of all the other stapled together middleware.

It is until you don't have to spend 1200 dollars to get a gpu that can use it and maintain 60 fps at 1080p

Imagine if casuals wante good games instead of good looking games.

I just googled it and you're right user, this shit looks good

youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8DlOkpqEQ

Missed the point, downsampling was an experimental option that's almost baseline today is the point I was making.
But the game completely fine on my side back in 2011 on a i7-2600k and GTX 570, except with ubersampling on.

>mfw tes6 will have raytracing
I can't wait for it

Attached: 1546139427255.jpg (523x714, 93K)

That's an independent matter though. I have no problem with technology coming out and then improving over time. My problem is people acting like ray-tracing RIGHT NOW is something that should be taken into consideration when buying a card. When right now it's next to useless.

I do hope the tech continues to develop and becomes viable in a few years. But right now it's not, and choosing a card based on ray-tracing capabilities in 2019 is silly.

Funny, raytracer sounds a lot like race trader

It's not even real raytracing. It's imitation made using opengl and doesn't use the raytracing core in the rtx cards.

>he's easily impressed by shiny objects

its real though, this isnt the reshade stuff

Realistic graphics are a meme.

can someone give me a quick rundown on what ray tracing actually does and why i should care?

>...atspin.net

>nvidia tracworks™
>to be used with nvidia hairworks™
>only sacrifices 95% of fps with latest patch!

Everything that isn't Atari 2600 tier is a meme.

Attached: 1492359045554.png (1920x1080, 2.16M)

ray tracing is not a meme, it is ACTUAL graphics, every shiny new improvement until then is just a band-aid fix for rasterization.

>Minecraft has bad gra-

Attached: minecraft2.jpg (3840x2160, 3.5M)

truly based

simulates light rays firing from source then bouncing around, just like how light rays work in real life. you can determine much more accurate shadows, reflections and global illumination, which is when light bleeds round corners or carries colours from surface onto another

It's one russian krokodil addict with a bulldozer cpu. The same retard makes threads how bulldozer are great cpus. It's hilarious.

Why are you so terminally retarded?

Pretty much the same as Gmod. You grief others online. In Minecraft, this is usually by TNTing little children's creations.

I can name lots of pretty things that are memes. Most have them have twitch accounts.

Ignore faggot OP's like this and mouth gaping fanboys. It's a meme because practical applications and necessary hardware are at least half a decade out IF it's something that's pursued for that long before another approximation of it gets shilled as the great new thing. People buy into it because they are bug brained consumers who equate a specific name or brand or price point with personal superiority despite the fact that it's nothing special. The kind of people who think RTX is amazing despite it's incredibly limited scope and anemic support are the same people who think that the price point of an iphone somehow makes it a superior piece of hardware and worth the price point when nothing could be further from the truth. That's all the majority of RTX shills are. They are prone to buzzwords and branding and you can't argue anything past their bug brains.

Attached: 1563049780212.jpg (2048x866, 168K)

Minecraft with shaders is a very special atmosphere.
I couldn't find it in any other game with good shaders, there's something more which I cannot explain.
youtu.be/Mj6jF7I2s10

I really wish time could just stop and let me enter a minecraft world like that to walk and fly around in.

Attached: 03-24-02-minecraft_shaders___realistic_water_by_maxiesnax-d5ni60h.jpg (1191x670, 141K)