Spec Ops The Line

Why did it fail commercially?

Attached: theline.jpg (1920x1080, 465K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a-mc7wE5-_4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Why did an artsy deconstruction of bog standard third person shooters not appeal to normies

It looked like a generic shooter in a market that was already over saturated with generic CoD like shooter.

It told people to stop playing it, and they dutifully spread the message.

It painted the American military as bloodthirsty imperialists who did more damage to the Middle East than good.

It failed because it did not want to succeed.

too /fa/

Cry more, faggot.

But thats accurate user

b-but it was generic and mediocre on porpuse to make a point :^)

Tries too hard to be a "deconstruction" and ends up as a comedy

Yeah i know, but if you didn't play the game you wouldn't know that.

the fact that sotl failed commercially (and that it subequently picked up in sales/popularity after people knew what it was about) is a huge blow to the game imo.

the game wants the player to think it's a generic cod like military shooter game so that it can pull the wool over their eyes. this was achieved in part by playing like a generic game at the start but also being *marketed* as one. this is the crucial point; in order to appeal to cod players, sotl had to be marketed like a cod game. since cod was huge back then, sotl's inability to connect with the cod audience suggests that something about it the perception/analysis of cod players (the very thing it's trying to deconstruct) was off, and this casts strong doubts on the game's attempts at deconstruction and satire because the people it's targeting don't seem to exist in the form the developers want

sotl might be the only peice of media to have its core themes undermined by its own sales figures

>we made a shit game and can’t replicate the concept video
>let’s put a message in there :^)

>lol dude there was a choice, you could've stopped playing the game
No wonder why the studio ended up making a game riddled with microtransactions.

>who did more damage to the Middle East than good
This is correct, funding terrorists doesn't exactly help a region especially when you blast the fuck out of it afterwards because of those very same terrorists

Its true though you only continued to play for your entertainment even though you knew you were doing horrible things ingame

>you were doing horrible things ingame

can you please take a minute and think about what you're saying

Turns out, "don't play this game" isn't a strong message to sell on.

Joke: Not playing Spec Ops because you've internalised the message of the game and don't want to perform violent acts

Woke: Not playing Spec Ops because it's a boring piece of shit

>you knew you were doing horrible things ingame
It's a video game.
Their pretentious "deconstruction" doesn't work on that medium.

Because it was shit.

>7 years later
>people are still self inserting as Walker

pretentious shit for pretentious shits

Attached: 1553911567671.png (1687x964, 942K)

I actually liked the gameplay of Spec Ops. It didn't do anything new but it was perfectly competent and the AI squadmates could actually handle themselves. It also wasn't overly long so it didn't wear out it's welcome.

I still play it like once a year.

Attached: 1476729339675.png (571x540, 434K)

>competent
serviceable

So the truth?

>there was a choice
>Adams literally says "We didn't have a choice"
Based retard. And then people like OP make threads like this asking why didn't the game sell.

Same gameplay like Kane and lynch 2 which is atmospheric superior but gets hated on, Spec Ops is just loved for /Hurr Durr muh war crimes aesthetics

Attached: 1519853234818.png (1022x731, 643K)

I wish IO Interactive would make another Kane & Lynch game.

What did you mean by this?

It’s a shit game.

They should just reboot it to be honest. I liked the games but they did get a little retarded, especially the second one.

Multiplayer was great.

Europoor cope.

>Market your game as generic third person Iraq shooter
>Hurr it's actually a subversive generic third person Iraq shooter tricked you! Wait no buy the game buy our game
Also
>Check out these sand mechanics
>All of 3 times you use sand against enemies

I'm an American

i will enjoy seeing america crumble and fall in the next 20 years so the chinese can take their rightful spot as the overlords of the world

They've said that they would announce a new game that isn't Hitman 3, so there's a chance that they might reboot K&L.

My condolences. I hope you make a swift recovery.

Fuck you leafman

It was a Heart of Darkness ripoff.

Meh, the guy makes great shit-post vids. He also takes the time to do his research, more than most.

Attached: spec-ops-the-line_o_4416935.jpg (913x960, 198K)

The message literally went over normie's heads

>this game is stupid, it keeps telling me I could have prevented this if I stopped playing the game wtf

>make fun of american
>w-well, you're american!
what

Attached: 1549791306789.jpg (494x489, 26K)

are you the guy who linked him here? dude's a fucking joke

>tfw making the entire world mad just by existing
>so mad that they actually want chink bugmen to rule the world just to spite you

The best part is that Europeasants NEVER even fantasize about their own country becoming a dominant world power, they just dream of being ruled over by a different master. Absolute turbocucks.

Attached: eagles.jpg (804x644, 120K)

>Pseuds think bashing audiences over the head with a retarded hamfisted message is the fault of normies
Yikes

Tell us what the message of Spec Ops: The Line is, user.

user, that is like saying Apocalypse now is a Heart of Darkness ripoff.

Both the movie and Spec ops are based on it, and both the director and the game devs have been open about this.

"Journalists" didnt understand it and thus shat all over it, and the marketing, while a brilliant move, was a little too clever for most people and thus flew right over the heads of most people who dismissed as a generic cover shooter.

Naw mate, just genuinely enjoy the guys content.

Attached: 1527517168662.jpg (601x545, 107K)

Because sensitivity setting is shit

Which video games do you recommend for someone who hates Firearms, hates the National Rifle Association and is totally against the carrying of weapons?

Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Tell me where you live so I can rob you, No-Guns.

>another generic shooter with a generic name in a time where generic shooters are stupidly common

>WAR IS BAD
>have fun shooting people *teehee*

Broken Sword

Word in the industry is the execs were fucking cunts, and the dev team struggled to get the game polished. No publisher wanted to work with them after.

>WAR BAD

Attached: 1548576560089.jpg (239x249, 4K)

It didn’t. It was the best selling Spec Ops game of the franchise. The real question you should be asking yourself is: why is the predominant topic around this game about how it failed and why does this prevail mostly in the US?

You could have stopped this you monster, and all you needed was to not play anymore! Wait, you want a refund? Well, fuck you, you bought this with your money, get over it faggot.

Attached: ass.png (508x705, 311K)

the game that teaches you how tampons work since you're a massive vagina

because it's generic american shooter

youtube.com/watch?v=a-mc7wE5-_4
the old games look fun