What happened to our happy jolly boy?

He's been just like us, Yea Forums. He just wanted to make autistic RPGs so you could immerse yourself into a fantasy world and live there.

Have the power and money corrupted him?
Or do you think he's still the same cheerful boy full of spunk and dreams deep inside?

We still love him, right, Yea Forums?

Attached: 9Fqdm5egPkE[1].jpg (751x503, 73K)

BUY

I don't think he's making bad games maliciously. Until Skyrim, his efforts to casualize the genre was met every time with '10/10 fantastic' by wide audiences. Only recently have people thought he's going too far with stuff like Fallout 4 and 76.

He's always wanted to simplify and casualize though, look at Morrowind compared to Daggerfall. Regardless of where you draw the line for a good level of complexity, his trajectory has ALWAYS been towards simpler games.

What kind of a weird illusion is this? He looks tall here. Probably just cause he’s skinny

Let's hope TES6 will be an improvement and that they've learned the lesson.

Attached: 186E2lyShEI[1].jpg (1200x793, 282K)

Big business was a mistake

im just hoping that kirkbride-user is right about the plot.

Attached: Screenshot_4.png (1654x512, 218K)

Attached: 1550670914673.jpg (750x738, 312K)

to be honest, it's not like they casualized morrowind just because they wanted to, but it would be impossible to make a game like daggerfall with morrowind graphics at that time

CHARISMA: 100
MORALITY: CHAOTIC NEUTRAL

So basically they'd have to take the thu'um mechanic and kinda reshape it so it looks like it's working with a sword. That's Bethesda alright

todd howard is great, it's pete hines and emil pagliarulo that have ruined everything

I still want to give him a chance. Make Starfield fun and I'll forget about existence of Fo4 and 76

Better pirate before you buy, familia

Actually been playing through morrowind recently and it is not bad/10

Doesn't sound legit, although I've heard many people speculate on this.
I'm just hoping they'll either make the game set in High Rock or across several provinces (High Rock/Hammerfell)

Attached: 6N1Viz6wPAI[1].png (496x1004, 586K)

is this dude really big or is todd really small?

i'd say todd is the western version of masuda, but at least masuda made bw. todd has nothing but shovelware on his resume. he is incapable of making a good game.

That dog is probably dead now

>He's been just like us, Yea Forums. He just wanted to make autistic RPGs so you could immerse yourself into a fantasy world and live there.
No, he has always been the business guy in Bethesda. The fact that he has quite a charming demeanor does not change the fact that he never was the one pushing for creativity and coming up with new ideas: he was always the one entirely preoccupied with asking the question "How do we SELL this shit?"
The actual talented people have been gradually leaving the studio and no one has been replacing them, in part because since Oblivion, Todd realized that mediocrity is EASIER TO SELL than anything even remotely unique. Morrowind costed a whole lot more effort, and appealed to whole lot smaller audience, and the moment it dawned on him that shit does not need to be appealing to nerds, he just natually went with it.

He is and always was an amazingly pragmatic and profit oriented guy.

Attached: 1543917607354.jpg (1024x2398, 198K)

Wow I didn’t know Kojima was 6’3”

I don't mean just the world, the game is fundamentally simpler in basically every way. Daggerfall was much closer to an TTRPG, with all the languages, and a whole lot of skills that added roleplaying depth but little to the overall game. I personally think Morrowind's a better game, but not all the simplification done was necessary, and I'm sure a lot of it was Todd culling it down to make it more streamlined.

Julian Lefay did an interview where he touch on it, said 'I prefer the large-scale epic feel of discovery, whereas Todd prefers a more firm and scripted approach.' Basically Lefay made games as if he's a DM giving the player agency, while Todd thinks of the world as a vessel for a a series of 'cool' scripted sequences that you should engage with in a certain way. It came out well in Morrowind (maybe because Lefay still had a lot of impact early on) but not so good in the later entries.

Wasn't he a president of a chess club or something?
Maybe he should go back to that and maybe also play some D&D because I think he's just directing games and no longer playing them.

Also I think the casualization of the games were largely the consoles' fault. They had to fit their games into consoles that didn't have enough computing power for lots of background scripts and bigger cities like in Daggerfall for example. The menus were also made to be controller friendly and the reason why Fallout 4's dialogue system is dumbed down so much is so that on consoles you can easily and quickly select your options. Unlike previous titles, time didn't stop when you talked to people and there was always that meme image of Skyrim where the player talks to an NPC while a dragon swooped down on them, I think they wanted to address that so you can quickly select your dialogue options and fuck off. For kbm it's no issue because mouse clicking and navigating is fast.
Who knows, next gen consoles should be much better with more storage capacity by default, so maybe they can finally make their 100GB game with complex quests and bigger cities with more NPCs on screen.

>Wasn't he a president of a chess club or something?
Turns out that was also a lie, he was pretty popular in school

>Turns out that was also a lie, he was pretty popular in school
are you fucking serious?

Attached: brah.jpg (300x388, 14K)

I don't have it saved but I know there's a picture of one of his yearbooks going around that suggests this, yes. He's pretending to be a nerd so nerds buy his videogames

I found this, there's no chess club but apparently he was at a fucking latin club

Attached: images (8).jpg (685x448, 31K)

Hes currently playing minecraft

Attached: .png (359x358, 133K)

Consoles and disk space have no direct impact on how complex a game is. I'll bet you TES6 will be some 100Gb+ monster that's even more streamlined than skrim.

Todds been streamlining games to gain mass appeal. Most popular video games satisfy an easily obtained power trip.

Being able to create a character that is crap and the dying a bunch is not what normies want. Compare Morrowind to skrim character creation. Morrowind you can play a melee high elf build, but that's only for experienced Morrowind players. Skerm you can play and orc and magically be good at magic from the get go.

Casuals don't want to deal with the negative consequences of their choices. They don't want content gated because it doesn't make sense for their character to do it. Hence why Bethesda games keep getting less complex, make it fun for casuals who play less that 50 hours. They still spent $60 just like the most hardcore fans.

Attached: 1559857230038.png (668x629, 33K)

Just imagine it.
You're a kid and your father is Todd Howard. Do you think they'll get picked on in school?

>makes games for nerds
>wow, nerds and critics love me how nice
>makes games for casuals
>wow, casuals and critics love me plus I'm multimillionaire now, let's do it 5 more times.
Next TES is going to so easy it will make Skyrim look like KOTOR. Just add Adventures to it Todd and finish the job.

He wants everyone to play his games, not just some group of hardcore rpg fans.

I'm pretty sure it's really hard to hate todd
he has the devil's charisma, he tries to fuck the industry over and over but in the end people still like him

he doesn't wants everyone to play his games, he wants everyone to buy them. Anyone can play anything if they have an interest on it. Sacrificing the creative vision of your game to make it more appealing to a wider audience is a good idea business wise, but it will make it look more like a product than a work of art, and if you actually care for what you're making you wouldn't want that

I enjoyed Skyrim.

me too, it's good

Skyrim will be the last one designed without microtransactions in mind I bet they'll cut content from TES VI to nickel and dime people with daedric artifacts and shit.

>Skyrim will be the last one designed without microtransactions in mind
false, we had paid mods for a time

A push for graphics at the expense of the rest of the game is also a conscious design choice to appeal to a certain audience

Paid mods weren't a thing in 2011 they added that in the last couple years, TES VI will have it day one like Fallout 76

I don’t actually see anything wrong with paid mods and think it would greatly enhance the speed art which the good quality mods develop and encourage taking on big projects while not affecting the bottom-of-the-barrel garbage since we're already drowning in those if only poorfags could stop screeching

Modders already can make money through Patreon or Nexus. Also almost every paid mod for F4 was shit. Nothing but armor, weapons or cosmetics. It would be cool if they could hire modders to make something big and cool but most modders are whinny drama queens and Bethesda don't want to spend money on them