ITT: Franchises you wish would return to its roots

ITT: Franchises you wish would return to its roots

Attached: Boite-2-730x1024.jpg (730x1024, 158K)

NEVER EVER

Attached: images.jpg (250x177, 13K)

What happened?

Fire Emblem with the permadeath turned off is just Shining Force. I have been saying this nonstop since Awakening introduced it to the series.

I can't believe fat neckbeards get their feelings hurt by the fact I want to play on no death mode when IS made the time reverse function just because they kept complaining they had to reset the battle when they lost a unit.

How about the difference in how turn order works though?

I'm pretty sure it's the same. I'm gonna be playing Shining Force 1 and 2 again when I finish Phantasy Star 4 (I bought one of the official genesis controller reprints and it's fucking amazing, by the way) and I'm 90% sure Shining Force does the same players --> computers turn order FE does

No, it really isn't. The key points that differentiate it are a proper overworld and towns, etc. while FE is just menus and battles, except for a couple new ones. In battle, there's also no counter mechanic in most instances and the unit balance is different, often VASTLY favoring physically offensive tanks over magical units simply because of the ease of depleting the MP bar when using worthwhile spells.
Anyway, in regards to OP, Shining Force's devs very much do want to make Shining Force IV, Sega just owns "Shining" and doesn't care.
Modern Shining isn't really related to SF and SitD anyway, it's a completely separate series that doesn't even have cameos to connect it, not even slight lore references. Genuinely the ONLY connection is the brand name.

SF1 at the very least certainly does not. There is no phases and enemies can move in between player units. Units also have to move based on when the turn order selects them, you can't just pick and choose the one you want to move.

SF2 as well.

Playing it right now actually.

>there's also no counter mechanic in most instances

Oh God now I remember how endgame enemies would almost always counter your ass while you still rarely if ever counter back.

>Camelot is stuck making Mario sport games now

Truly the worst timeline.

Also it seems like special attacks are random on both enemies and players (e.g. Fire Breath), and a few enemies like Armed Skeletons have hidden skills not reflected on their stat screen (e.g. a ranged machine gun attack while their inventory and skill list shows nothing on this).

Magic in Shining Force also strikes adjacent spaces making it incredibly powerful against grouped enemies and requiring the player to not just group up characters against all enemies.

And there's the matter of story as well with Shining Force basically being Dragon Quest while Fire Emblem has a lot more medieval politics in it.

I don't, considering the current industry it would either be gatchashit, or try to look western like that cover.

shining force 3 is full politics and GoT kind of deal though. Everybody use the menace of the last boss at their own benefits, the true achievement of the hero is to have built that team to begin with without anybody trying to murder the rest of the guys

It does, but oftentimes it's just for softening stuff up for characters like Gort who are overpowered beyond all measure. Also, some spells become LESS useful as they get more powerful, I believe Bolt actually loses the huge 16 square AOE and goes back to the small cross if you use it enough to level it up enough.
The big thing is that there's almost no ways to restore MP in SF1 and all the non-blaze spells are stupidly expensive compared to the extremely slow to expand MP bar. Apart from the Demon Rod of course, which is cursed so fuck that thing, and it also comes so far in that it's practically worthless. I still ground up the spell levels because I liked the characters themselves, but characters like Gort were king given how many maps secretly had "Defeat Boss" as a win con.
What was amusing to me was how mages became physical bruisers for just a couple battles when you first get power staves.
That too, although I do like the worldbuilding SF has anyway.

RIP time management Atelier

Attached: Marie_%28Front_Page_Art%29.jpg (1970x1401, 1.07M)

Pokemon

Or just to have it return at all. I'd be happy with that too.

Attached: tactics ogre let us cling together.jpg (800x1457, 197K)

Yes, let's go back to the glitch-ridden fest that was Gen 1.

phantasy star 5 never ever

How did it feel when the announcement for the mobage came out?

>No, it really isn't. The key points that differentiate it are a proper overworld and towns, etc. while FE is just menus and battles
The overworld and town progression in Shining Force is so completely linear that it might as well be a menu. There's no real exploration.

Attached: 12388128123.jpg (201x201, 5K)

Why did they remake Shining Force on GBA but never the sequel?

I'm playing SF2 right now and there's a little nonlinearity going on. It's certainly less linear than the first game.

God that game was so good. My greatest regret is swapping it with a mate for Power Monger and then the bastard moved away

>Often VASTLY favoring physically offensive tanks over magical units simply because of the ease of depleting the MP bar when using worthwhile spells.

Unlike Fire Emblem, magic in Shining Force isn't just a reskinned physical attack though. You have AoE spells with a massive radius, status inflicting spells, etc.

Attached: 1551612034579.png (446x435, 74K)

That OST was the shit

I'd rather have Ogre Battle than more tactics/srpg stuff

>Power Monger

I have no idea what that game even is.

>I'd rather have Ogre Battle than more tactics/srpg stuff
What's so good about Ogre Battle? Gameplay is completely braindead compared to proper strategy game.

I like it and there's nothing else quite like it, I'd rather see them make an attempt to further refine the gameplay from 64, than see another rehash srpg

>Shining Force
>Roots
Sega seem to have 0 care what the series was.

Is it a First Person Dungeon Crawler?
Is it a Tactical RPG?
Is it a Zelda Action Adventure game?
Is it a Diablo loot based RPG?

That and Phantasy Star are 2 of the weirdest series from Sega since they never seem to know what to really do with it.

>I like it and there's nothing else quite like it, I'd rather see them make an attempt to further refine the gameplay from 64
There is nothing to refine, it needs to be totally overhauled because it's flawed to the core. Real-time map is a terrible fit for controllers, and combat playing itself is similarly ill-conceived.

You can pause at any time and issue commands, how's that an issue

>You can pause at any time and issue commands, how's that an issue
Because it's clunky and has no added value, and because issuing commands is so clunky, the game has to b greatly simplified as a result.

There's a reason why strategy games like Heroes of Might and Magic and Age of Wondrs are turn-based, both on the overworld and during combat.

Nothing clunkier about it than sprgs, it's the exact same thing, you move a cursor over the unit with your dpad, open a menu and choose your command
And what exactly was simplified as a result?

Why. Why must you remind me of what will NEVER EVER be?
The most painful thing I could've ever done to myself was discovering this series, what it was, and what it became.

Attached: 1466010626316.gif (500x504, 885K)

Because the remake sold horribly. It didn't help that it was released on the GBA, looked like shit compared to the original, ran slow as shit, and fucked up the perspective the original games all had.

I prefer the GBA game actually. It has a nicer, less stiff feeling to it. You can run in towns and you don't have that slowass cursor scrolling around the battlefield thing.

Is this the new NEVER EVER meme? Dragon Quest used to have it before they actually started getting their games.

>Phantasy Star are 2 of the weirdest series from Sega
I agree about Shining but dude, not Phantasy Star. SEGA has a very clear idea on what to do with Phantasy Star. The original 4 games (+the Game Gear text adventures) formed a complete story and SEGA is content with letting that sit tight with only rereleases and ports. Every other Phantasy Star is either PSO or influenced by PSO.

I like Shining Force, but it's beyond archaic at this point.

every franchise

Evens: English-Patch SF3 Scenarios 1-3 and play through them in English.

Odds: Improve your Japanese until you can play SF3 Scenarios 1-3 in Japanese.

Attached: reaction_dance_3.gif (1530x1080, 3.26M)

Didn't they turn Khris into an elf? They kept her normal face for her overworld sprite though, which is funny.