Not much of a gamer. I mainly read...

Not much of a gamer. I mainly read. Can someone recommend me a game which is extremely story driven and primarily dialogue based? I anticipate some old CRPG suggestions, but I'm not one for stats and combat. I quite like the idea of adventure games, although I have to admit most of the themes are too "immature" for me, e.g. Monkey Island and The Wolf Among Us.

Attached: 1455483476811.png (1920x1080, 1.8M)

Other urls found in this thread:

au.ign.com/wikis/the-secret-world/The_Kingsmouth_Code
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2 Kings 10&version=KJV
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Kings 10&version=KJV
store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Point & Click/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Grim fandango
Pathologic

Firewatch is basically one big dialogue, has the vibe of your pic OP, might be worth checking out if you don't mind walking simulators. Also quite short.

>"Too immature"
>Grim fandango
Sorry.
Pathologic looks interesting though.

It's more mature than you think.

I used that image as Firewatch is one of the games I've been able to enjoy in recent times.

Hm. Maybe I'll look into it then.

they have an entire genre for people like you, in fact. its called Visual Novel.

Edith Finch is what you're looking for

"For people like you". The animosity is tangible. And folk wonder why people have a negative image of "elite" gamers. But okay--visual novel. I'll check it out.
Oh, interesting.

>the animosity is tangible
sorry I actually didn't mean it like that

Ah, well. I apologise for seeing the negative in it...

Soul Sacrifice maybe?
Lost Odyssey?

Like some other user said, Visual Novels are absolutely perfect for a person like you. Steins;Gate is a good one, the original for nice artwork or Elite if you want the experience of a Visual Novel but with actual animation.

Try Tacoma if you're into space and ai stuff

Just came here to call you a faggot, OP.

Problem is, I'm not much into anime unfortunately. I just don't agree with the aesthetics.The only anime I like is the really old Mononoke-esque stuff. Shame it's all anime. You'd think an entire genre would have western influences also.

Night in the Woods is also fairly similar to Firewatch in some sense, maybe try it out

Of course. It wouldn't be Yea Forums if you didn't. Why not call someone who barely plays games "a faggot". It's only logical, right? Cheers. I appreciate your contribution.

>Can someone recommend me a game which is extremely story driven and primarily dialogue based?
Have you tried reading a book? : ^)
Myst, Deus Ex, Gunpoint, Subnautica or Link's Awakening

planescape, well written, lots of reading, and a good RPG while being light on combat
legacy of kain for nice prose and fucking orgasmic voice acting
the longest journey if you want a good old point and click adventure

Committing the very sentence that said I read books. Interesting choice. Anyway, I just want to give games another go. I'll have a look at your reccs.

Omitting*

Why do you write like a söy chugging faggot?

why do you write like a memespewing reddit nigger

at least hes not a literal fucking redditor like you

Examples? The sad part about this is that you think I'm trying to sound intelligent and am glued to a thesaurus. I'm just writing normally. This betrays your lack of confidence in your own writing and pretty clearly shows you have low standards overall. What about my writing sounds like, "A onions chugging faggot"? I'm using normal words normally. If you think my writing is pretentious, I can't imagine what you'd think of, I don't know, Dostoevsky or Woolf...

Pillars of eternity on story mode is a blast for someone like you. Story rich, lot of world building and lore dumps early on. Couldn't think of a better fit for your post

Dostoevsky's writing is pretty simple though.

In some respects, yes. But in this context I can only imagine Dostoevsky would blow the mind of this young man who thinks my writing reminds him of a "söy chugging faggot". Whatever that means. I can only imagine he thinks I'm being pretentious by using certain words he hasn't come across before. News to me what those are though.

I mean simple in a sense that it's the opposite of pretentious.

Maybe it's because I said "I anticipate" in my OP? God only knows.

nice essay faggot

>of this young man
You know, insulting him would work whole lot better if you didn't insist on immediately proving the twat right.

I actually tried Pillars several years ago and whilst I loved the voice acting and aesthetics, I just couldn't get into certain parts of the gameplay. I might be a "massive faggot" for saying it here, but I'm just not that much into mechanics-based games of most kinds.

or adding "quite" after every other word like he's some youtuber practicing his nasal pretend-british accent

It's insulting to call someone a young man when he clearly is? I can only assume he's a young man because he used the phrase "söy chugging faggot" in response to... what, exactly? Certain words I used in my OP? Curious.

Do you like murder mysteries?
Try Return of the Orba Dinn.
There's not much reading but it's about piecing together the fate of an empty ship.

Sunless Sea

A lot of people from the UK use quite. It's not a pretentious thing. You're only unloading your own perceptions onto words here.

I hate trailing ellipses faggots so much.

>Curious
Oh fuck off.

Planted and fell for it.

nah you're 100% fag

>Virginia Woolf

Attached: the gif's title.gif (498x278, 866K)

If you ar enot much of a gamer, the obvious question is this... what systems do you have to play on?

this

Certainly has an impressive aesthetic.

That's nice.

Grim Fandango is not immature. It's cartoony but far from child's game. It's just a stylisation.

A shitty laptop, if I'm being honest.

SOMA
Stories Untold

Attached: SOMA logo.jpg (800x929, 91K)

Edith Finch
Oxenfree
Night in the Woods
Firewatch

I think it's more the way you type rather than the content. Most people do not type things that way online, whether it's due to lack of knowledge or laziness, I don't know. Maybe it's that difference that makes him think so?

Speaking from an average at best IQ level here. I don't think you sound that pretentious, but sometimes it kinda gives of that feeling.
For example, calling him "young man" online is a little bit like that.

Kentucky Route Zero

It's a 5-parts point-and-click adventure. Shit is the last one hasn't came out yet

Don't read too much about it, just play it. It's a masterpiece

Attached: 8DFP1i.png (1920x1080, 392K)

Typical Yea Forumsnigger

You just know the OP likes to put on a tie when he goes to the supermarket.

Yeah, is that a big word to you? Or were you merely pretending to be a pretentious sped from the start?

va11ha11a

Subnautica has gameplay a lot, but most of it is exploration and there is a HEAVY story element to it.

Add Kentucky Route Zero and you have the quintology of pretentious hipster games.

This what I was driving at though. You say that most people don't write like I do, but I have to ask--what do I write like? My whole point was that I'm personally using a very low level of writing throughout this thread and the fact that I'm being called a faggot and pretentious is just insane to me.

with the game on story mode you can virtually ignore game mechanics. There is little to no combat difficulty whatsoever. When you do get in a fight you can count to ten and let the AI clean up before moving on to explore and quest. Sounds like you're missing out.

Hmmm. I may have to look into it again. Assuming my shit laptop can run it. I think I played it on PC last time.

Outer Wilds because if you're playing a vidya you should actually play a vidya. Not much dialogue at all but the worldbuilding is nice and the game itself is played as if it came out of a parallel universe wherein guns never came to videogames.
Ghost Trick because it's the goat. You're probably going to think it's immature and low-brow but it's such a goddamn gem. It's also a good starting point for learning to appreciate anime archetypes, since it eases into Phoenix Wright quite easily. From then on you might appreciate 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors.

Obra Dinn is a good suggestion.

u don.t, write like a 10 year old, your extremely prentenitious,,

Okay I’ll shoot OP. If you dare finding yourself not really appreciating games for there mechanics but just for their narratives, why come to this medium? This one works best in moments where the narrative and the mechanics come together, when a game’s only mechanics are walking and interacting with readable collectibles the ability to really see the strength of this medium is dampened.

Your verbosity over trivialities is oozing undergrad all over your posts. You've read a book, we get it.

Okay then you will probably need to stick to very graphically non-intensive games.

Was going to recommend here. SOMA is a game with a pacifist mode that allows you to go through without combat and just exploration and character interactions.

Unfortunately you have cut off a lot of avenues if you are unlikely to pick up a CRPG as they are widely considered the best for story. You could try some of the more entry level ones and pick a build that is less demanding which can be done using a wiki. I hear Arcanum is great if you pick a very high charisma build and just talk your way through the game.

How are you with combat? If you hate stats in CRPGs are you going to hate combat too? If so, you need to stick with point and click, or walking sims.

Did someone say a walking simulator? OP will appreciate.

Attached: basedkojimbo.jpg (948x717, 183K)

problem is they are often low quality. Dear Ester was ok for 45 minutes but I would not pay that much again for it.

And if you ever work up the experience to find the fun in stats and tactics, do play LISA.
One of few games that really make something out of the player's choices impacting both gameplay and story.

This is something I've struggled with. I used to be a gamer, but I haven't seriously played games for about seven to eight years now. My friends play quite often, so I feel like I'm missing out. My main hobby is reading and I do admit that I often think games are pointless because if I want a story primarily then I should just stick to books. But then I get the urge to play something at least partly story driven. I want to have more texture to my life and my hobbies and so I want to try games. It's like an itch I have; every few months I go on a game hunt and never really find anything I think would be worth my time. It's a personal thing. I'm sure there's plenty of worthwhile games. I just have this innate thing against mechanics.

Again, where's the verbosity? This is my damn point. It's sad that a lot of you think simple words are verbose.

What about mechanics bother you? Do you feel that they detract from enjoying the story? Are they too complex or difficult for you to enjoy?

I genuinely can't understand.

Cannot beleive no one has recommended this to you. You will love it OP.

Attached: MV5BODY3MjU0ZmEtOTFlZS00Mzk2LWI3N2UtMzgxZWMyM2IyODM3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI2NTY2MDI@._V1_.jpg (980x551, 73K)

Play Ghost Trick on an Nintendo DS emulator.
Your PC will definitely be able to run it.
It does SOME fun things with ludo-narrative (when gameplay and story sync up perfectly).
Despite being both easy and childish, it's a fun game to play, a hell of a ride storywise and one of the most beloved games on Yea Forums

Not OP but I heard that it has very inconsistent artsytle through the episodes.

Multifaceted problem, I think. I mainly regard mechanics as being a hindrance to story. Even back when I played games I used to think, "Why can't I just get past this part and watch the next cinematic?" Sounds ridiculous, I know. I'm perfectly aware that gameplay mechanics can enhance a story, but I just can't seem to get past them most of the time. It's like, why do I have to constantly press these buttons to experience the next part of the story? Feel free to laugh. I also think it's pretty stupid.

It's a bad sell for videogames imo, doesn't really showcase how good things can be. It's a choose your own adventure-book translated to a videogame.

What Remains of Edith Finch. Its a masterpiece.

Fallout : New Vegas welcomes you in a post apocalyptic, yet very lively wasteland with hours of dialog, numerous factions and characters, and your choices in how you interact with them having real consequences on how its world evolves (or disappears in a disaster of your own making). It is sometimes funny, sometimes tragic, and sometimes even encourages your mind to drift towards some philosophical toughts.
Take the full version with all the story-driven dlc's included, or pirate it without any regrets. Big iron on his hip/10.

Attached: rxpb.png (1920x1080, 2.24M)

Play the mass effect trilogy on the lowest difficulty setting.

The Outer Wilds is really good

It’s been jerked to hell and back on why it works, but the “pick up the can” part of half-life 2 is exactly what I’m talking about. The game teaches you about interacting with physics and then opens up a scenario that gives the player a choice with those mechanics without actually directly conveying this to you. If you are finding yourself wanting texture as much as you claim, but can’t get past mechanics you won’t find it. You are gonna see 15 recommendations for shitty walking sim games that have decent to good stories but nothing else to them.

The Longest Journey
It's getting on a bit, so I hope you dont mind it looking a touch dated. I think there are some fan-made things to pretty it up a little, but honestly they're not necessary. It's a great game.

What if you're not being honest? What is it with litlets adding random garbage to their posts? How strong is your instinct to increase the word count in everything you write?

Sounds like you would enjoy sony mov--I mean games

It's a shame I seem to have lost the part of my brain which enjoys interaction in games. I have friends who do nothing but play Dark Souls on the hardest difficulty, but here I am trying to find dialogue heavy games with minimal interaction, stats and combat.

Sure, but for OP it will be a delightful adventure. He will be able to graduate onto something better there after.

I'd say Broken Sword

Sayeth yond mine own visage, sodomite, not by dint of scrawl and behold thine requital
>transposes mineself hinder yon
>upend mine bucket
twas concomitant

Attached: 1540807433516.jpg (219x230, 7K)

Or maybe I said this because I realised a lot of people have suggested graphically intensive/mid-range games and I feel bad that I didn't qualify this to begin with? Stop dumping all your Yea Forums hate into everything I say.

Bastion is good as an example of a game that combines the story and the gameplay without much seperation between "game" parts and "cutscene/movie" parts. Though I don't know if it meets your arbitrary "too immature" criteria.

It feels more like a game for people used to video games and experience playing them to me. It has lots of meta parts that would probably fall short for someone who doesn't play much vidya.

Just ignore him OP, he is a vicious troll, also answer my post here as it has more qualifying questions for you that are relevant to the thread.

>It feels more like a game for people used to video games and experience playing them to me. It has lots of meta parts that would probably fall short for someone who doesn't play much vidya.
I can't think of what you mean, but maybe I am just not aware of it thanks to being a vidya fan myself. Maybe you are right.

I'm sure you already understand this, but i'd just like to put this out there, in case it helps someone.

In this medium, a story is meant to enhance the gameplay, as the gameplay is the focus of the medium, it's what makes games games, and not a book or a movie.

>play Dark Souls on the hardest difficulty
I'm sorry, I really am, but that gave me a good kek.

For both of you, if you are different anons that is, maybe try playing games that focus solely on gameplay some time? It might help you accustom yourself to how mechanics work in games. Perhaps for you, game mechanics are an acquired taste, you'll never know until you try.

Besides those games that have been already mentiond:

Her Story
Timbleweed Park

You might want to find yourself a dictionary, because no one's implied it's impressive, which you seem to insist is the problem.

I'm not much into sci-fi, sadly. As for the CRPG side of things, someone did suggest Pillars. I did try Pillars before, but I didn't play it in story mode. I might give it another go. I've heard Planescape is good, but I'm not a fan of the setting. I'm just a picky cunt who probably should give up on games.

I don't think pathologic is what he's looking for user, that game is fucking hard

Attached: 1564352920837.png (170x243, 51K)

It's a dull, verbose turd filled with nothing but purple prose. It's perfect for OP.

ITT OP asks for vidya recommendations while "casually" mentioning they read books.
They then get heaps upon heaps of good recommendations, all neglected by OP, who would rather spend the thread typing words about the manner in which OP types words.

Fuck you Yea Forums.

>maybe try playing games that focus solely on gameplay some time?
Forgot to say, maybe something like the original DOOM games would be a good place to start.

The top of the picture is pretty much all you want to read if you want to play 1 or 2, the rest of the picture is modding related.

Attached: DOOMpill.png (1543x6892, 1.67M)

Yea Forums is being extremely patient towards a guy who's attempting to trollishly represent (badly) one of the people it hates the most.

How come playing Dark Souls on the hardest difficulty made you laugh? I just used that as an example to show how far removed myself and my friends are in terms of gaming experience. As for your point about pure gameplay, I have dabbled in RTS but I usually just tire of it.

>disregards planescape for the setting
shouldn't play any game then

Christ. You really have no idea what purple prose is. If you think that using the words "quite" and "regarding" is purple, then fuck me.

Journey, Flower, Abzu, and BOUND

This desu senpai

All neglected by OP? I'm responding to most of them. Look harder. The guys claiming I'm verbose are pretty annoying though, so I have to answer them.

>If you think my writing is pretentious, I can't imagine what you'd think of, I don't know, Dostoevsky or Woolf...

You are pretentious, don't namedrop authors like anyone here cares. And if you want to give point and clicks a go try Primordia, great game about a robotic society ruled by a Mussolini-eque dictator who was originally the AI in charge of keeping the trains running on time.

Or give The Secret World a try. It's an MMO, but it's heavily story driven, with some really great Investigation missions where you have to decipher puzzles, riddles, etc. The game actually comes with an ingame internet browser to assist you. An example;
au.ign.com/wikis/the-secret-world/The_Kingsmouth_Code

This is one step.
>Your first keyword is '''Time'''. Look up above the doorway leading to the stairs in the town hall and you'll see a clock. It says 10:10. Secondly, The clue says that "the hands of time point to truth written by kings in the words of God." The "words of God" refer to the Bible, kings refers to either the book 1 Kings or 2 Kings. Googling [biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2 Kings 10&version=KJV 2 Kings 10:10] yields something that isn't really relevant, but if you look at [biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Kings 10&version=KJV 1 Kings 10:10] it will say, "And she gave the king an hundred and twenty talents of gold." So your clue is 120. Also key is that Sheba, referenced in the passage, brought the gold to King Solomon. Coincidentally, Solomon Priest is the founder of Kingsmouth. Go to his house, beside the church, and head to the back where you will find a cellar. Enter the code, 120, to enter the cellar.

So if you like puzzles and thinking, then amongst the standard bog-fare MMO "kill the monster" quests, which, again are heavily dialogue and backstory driven, you have these investigation missions to bash your head against looking for details with a fine-toothed comb.

Attached: 1554941001543.gif (304x281, 2.05M)

t. obsidiot

user is not wrong here. I read books as well, and it doesn't stop me from liking and playing all sorts of games. OP sounds like a picky verbose cunt with a broom shoved in its arse.

I was talking about the game. You don't qualify for anything beyond merely pretentious, like someone wearing "it's actually a trilby" and going "tis" all the time. It's anachronistic, not complex.

>How come playing Dark Souls on the hardest difficulty made you laugh?
Because i'm a Souls player, and the games surprisingly have no difficulty setting, so whenever someone says that it's usually a bit funny because most people who haven't played any of them assume that they would.

RTS isn't everyone's cup of tea, even for gamers (I personally am not a big fan of RTS games). There are plenty of non-RTS games that focus purely on gameplay. like I mentioned in another post, the DOOM games, which by the way are also not graphically intensive at all, considering that you mentioned your computer not being that good.

You absolutely are a pretentious faggot and that's coming from a fellow Yea Forumsizen.

nigger no one actually talks like that, stop pretending this is your "normal"

hemingway made it clear when he btfo faulkner

I haven't used a single word that even suggests an air of trilby or "tis". You're seeing what you want to see.

I mentally checked out after
>dark souls on hardest difficulty
OP is either shit troll or really isn’t interested in recommendations if he can’t even be assed to look into dark souls, a game this board has discussions about near daily (I’m not here to argue the necessity of that) , enough to realize there isn’t a difficulty mode. It was fun trying to think of a game that would fit all of his different stupid restrictions though

Fair enough. I've seen a few of my friends' streams and just assumed they had different difficult settings. Never mind then.

He's talking about PoE.

He said, "It's perfect for OP." It's clear what he was insinuating.

No, I'm seeing the absolute last thing I'd want to.
>I haven't used a single word that even suggests an air of trilby or "tis"
Yes! "This young man"? tis ridiculous. I say. Get the spoon out of your ass, you fucking teaboo.

For someone who claims to like books you sure fucking lack reading comprehension.

this fucking guy knows

Haha okay OP, I will try and keep suggestions to an absolute core list I think you will like. I actually was in the same position as you about 5 years ago and returned to video from books and I have grown to appreciate good mechanics but for now, here is a list with very basic mechanics that don't require guide books to grasp or no machanics at all.

>Stanley Parable (walking sim with weird absurdist dry humour)
>Obra Dinn (artistic mystery)
>What Remains of Edith Finch (walking sim)
>The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (walking sim)
>SOMA on pacifist mode (sci-fi but low sci-fi, as in no Star Trek laserbeams, very philosophical)
>Telltale's The Walking Dead (1 is kino, 2 is ok, 3 is crap, 4 is good, must pirate as devs are defunct)
>Telltale's Wolf Among Us
>Firewatch
>Life is Strange
>Primordia (point and click mystery, sci-fi but very different to normal sci-fi, challenging mystery and moody)
>Literally any visual novels (they are not all anime based, believe it or not)

Some titles I am unsure about as they have more than basic mechanics:
>Spec Ops: The Line (shooter mechanics but very affecting story with philosophy of war themes)
>Frogware's Sherlock Holmes series (investigative mechanics but plot driven)
>Planescape (it is CRPG fair, but if you can do your research for an easy build, you will get literally 4000 pages of dialogue)
>Arcanum (same really, but steampunk/magic themed)
>Mass Effect (shooter again, but many fascinating dialogue driven parts 2/3rds dialogue)

I appreciate putting all these into a neat list.
And with some helpful comments, too. Cheers.

You might try SOMA, a spooky game with 10/10 atmosphere. There's some light puzzle solving, but its mostlynexploration and story focused. Gotta warn you, its writing is not at the level of books. The MC has this nasty habit of witnessing a philosophical dilemma and then stating out loud, "Ah! A philosophical dilemma!" Good overall, I recommend it.

Oxenfree, the characters in the game are normie teens, but still, it's a fun story where you either choose what you say, or don't say anything at all. Multiples endings

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, adventure/detective, there's almost no action at all, just a silly little stealth part, but most of the game is strolling in a beautiful world looking for clues

There's always Dear Esther, which is almost a book since what you do is just walking on a island, there's no gameplay at all. It's the game that launched the trend of walking simulator with story

Dunno if you're into visual novel, but if you want a "mature one for mature person", maybe Narcissus ?

OP does sound condescending. But maybe he is serious, who knows.
I Have No Mouth and Must Scream but I don't know how different it is from the short story, I assume it is more or less the same, just expanded to support the gameplay.

Stories Untold is a nice text horror game with 4 stories.

Attached: Stories Untold press play.png (1194x519, 953K)

What about the Metal Gear games? 3, 4, and 5 probably won't be your cup of tea, but 1 and 2's core gameplay is just moving around enemies, and the story is really fun.

And then I don't know if you've considered it, but you can also watch video game "movies" on youtube, collections of all the cutscenes.

OP responds to game
(Should be noted this is after being called out for not responding to game recommendations. Also the last reply I looked at before writing my conclusion.)

OP responds to being Yea Forums af
No response
In conclusion, OP is a massive wanker who would rather spend their time, and the time of Yea Forumsirgins who help them out, discussing their own status as a well-read and well-written jabroni than talk about video games.
Upon further inspection we can also see that when OP DOES respond to a game suggestion, it is typically with a single sentance. Contrast this with the comparably ENORMOUS effort that they spend on arguing wether OP is a posh prick or not.
However, spending so much time arguing that specific point is a sisyphean task, since only a posh prick would spend so much time arguing wether or not they're a posh prick.

I would not recommend Vanoshong of Etham Carter. It's up your alley of minimalistic gameplay and it has fantastic build-up and foreboding atmosphere, but its ending is M. Night Shyamalan tier bullshit.

>In conclusion, OP is a massive wanker who would rather spend their time, and the time of Yea Forumsirgins who help them out, discussing their own status as a well-read and well-written jabroni than talk about video games.
one might even call him pretentious

I responded to more of those. Some were repeats, e.g. Obra Dinn and Edith Finch. I also said I played Fire Watch before. I also gave my opinion on Planescape, etc. etc.

that's alright Yea Forumsbro, Also, you will wanna check out this tag on steam for ideas. Please check all my recs for system requirements as some will be too much for a laptop.

store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Point & Click/

sage and faggot pilled, OP is an alright lad, and just wants to enjoy our hobby with us.

He can't run them as he is on PC, and it is a laptop, so likely not running MGSV either.

Based

Long Live The Queen
Katawa Shoujo

Attached: long_live_the_queen__sim_game_promo__by_hanakogames-d52v36b.jpg (900x527, 148K)

>Vanoshong
kek. It is okay overall and may give OP some enjoyment. I actually didn't see the ending coming desu.

Okay. Games I'm considering.

Pillar on Story Mode.
Edith Finch.
Some sort of Tell Tale game, maybe Wolf.
Obra Dinn
Planescape.

I didn't see it coming either, but I still thought it was some last minute twist garbage.

>and just wants to enjoy our hobby with us.
It's hard to see it that way when he doesn't want any of the parts that actually define the hobby. Imagine the reception I'd get if I went asking Yea Forums for reccomendations and then disgarded everything they reccomended as "pretentious" or "too wordy".

I might have missed one or two.

Holy fuck op I want to strangle you.

Attached: 5FF0E488-F05D-449C-9393-5E098745B72C.gif (480x480, 3.08M)

You say that as I myself don't think my position is ridiculous. I've said several times in this thread that I'm annoyed at me own perception of games. It sucks. I wish it was different.

I don't particularly take issue with the fact that you don't respond to most of them, this is absolutely fine for Yea Forums.
What grinds my gears is the amount of time spent discussing things that are not vidya. Again, look at the length of these replies from OP. Whenever a game recommendation is adressed, it is done so in a very short manner, as opposed to the Yea Forums shit with is the dominating portion of OPs wordcount.
I don't see how the conclusion here can be anything other than that OP is more interested in themself than in playing videogames, since it's only when OP is adressed that OP actually takes time to consider the post they're responding to.

Ironically they'd lap it up and recommend you Hemingway. But I get you. Just leave the thread though, you aren't going to achieve anything here and OP obviously has niche tastes that don't correspond to yours.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Greatest story ever told in video game format.

I'd recommend Age of Decadence but it does have "stats and combat"

Honestly, if you want a good story just read a book.

Obra Dinn is definitely a good pick. It's short as well, I would heavily recommend starting with it.

I would also add Ghost Trick, a game so good that 90% of Yea Forums straight up loves it.

Any one want to add something you think I might have missed in my list of games to consider further?

Max Payne has really good writing. And good gameplay too.

OP is pic related. The pretentious levels are off the charts. I'm sure talking like an Englishman from the 1900s sure helps him in his career.

Attached: tv sherlock.jpg (1165x438, 111K)

I know all of you will get annoyed because I'm yet again responding to another one of these, but I just have to. This is fucked. Talking like an Englishman from the 1900s? In what way? Fuck me. Do you really have such a low level of reading that you think using the words "quite", "regarding" and "certain" is comparable to a 20th century writer? Jesus.

Outer Wilds if you enjoy puzzles and exploration. If travelling a solar system, finding out about an ancient civilization, and solving the riddle of why you're in a time loop sounds at all interesting, I implore you to try it out. It's an absolute gem and has no combat. It does have some platforming and space ship-controlling though, so if that sounds like too interaction then skip it.

Indubitably!

>sounds like too much interaction*

I've calmed down since you made the post with the choices you're considering, we're good.

Quite so. Jolly good. Bloody... something. Lad.

Although max payne is GOAT, Alan Wake would probably be more up his alley if he doesn't actually play video games.

Outer Wilds doesn't actually have a story though, does it? Or did they make one for the new version?

thimbleweed park and the mass effect series

Problem with Obra Dinn is that although I like the aesthetic and the exploration aspects, I'm still leaning more toward very dialogue heavy games. I basically want Dialogue Trees: The Game. Maybe I should just shut the fuck up and play Planescape.

You won't get exactly the same laid back, passive experience in a game as you do in a book. Even the most mechanistically minimal of games is going to require some of your own input, so if you prefer to have everything served to you directly on a plate there's no point in playing a game.

>comparable to a writer
No. No, that's not what anyone is saying.

Books aren't passive experiences. Not at all.

OP you say this and I feel it genuine, but I don’t think you are going to find what you are looking for in these about 90% trash recommendations if you can’t just get over yourself. Saying I wish it was different is self pitying shite, don’t wish it, will it. The mind follows the soul or something, it’s so frustrating to see the same 8-9 not games get parroted around for people as a “springboard” into the real stuff. They are okay at best, but u also say you want to get back into games, and they will only function as a means to spend time, not one to deepen your appreciation for the medium

I wish I could recommend Alpha Protocol, but I don't think anyone not interested in video games could slog through that bug filled mess of a game for the amazing story elements.

>Dartboard with a picture of George Washington Carver
Holy shit my sides user!

Which is why I said
I'm really thinking I just need to download something, probably Planescape. Apparently it has shit tons of dialogue. More than any game.

It's just not normal in my experience. I have only met one person in real life this eccentric and he's pretty damn weird and a military gun nut to boot. In any case, don't take it to heart.
The last book I read was The Stranger and The metamorphosis, that was in high school and it still lives on in my head. I fell into the depression trap and video games are my only escape.
I'm just jealous you have something you enjoy

Rimworld

everyone should know about nicole collard and her sexy, sexy accent

>I basically want Dialogue Trees: The Game
Try Mass Effect on the lowest difficulty. Has excellent world building, a good plot and plenty of dialogue.

If you have a tolerance for puzzles look up the games made by Cyan - Myst, Obduction.

>these about 90% trash recommendations
I'd like to see your good recommendations.

>and I feel it genuine
>Saying I wish it was different is self pitying shite, don’t wish it, will it
>The mind follows the soul or something
I don't know about OP but this guy is definitely pretentious

With books it's the author who provides the initial stimulus, and everything else is the reader's response. With games it's the player who is the stimulus, and the game responds. Books certainly are passive in comparison to games, and it seems it's precisely the activity that games involve that you're seeking to avoid.

>OP wants to chill with a good story and characters without dealing with complex mechanics
>recommend him mechanic-core game Rimworld

Right. Is it Planescape then? Shall I play Planescape? I think it might be.

>Outer Wilds doesn't actually have a story though, does it?
There definitely is a story there, but most of the active agents in that story are long dead and the player doesn't really push things forward, apart from discovering all the shit the ancient aliens were up to. You definitely have a point, but on the other hand I spend a lot of time thinking about the way that things came to be the way they are in Outer Wilds. Idk.

If you want dialogue trees: The Game I think you need to play visual novels. Telltale games are probably a safe bet as well, Wolf is supposedly the best (haven't played them myself).
999 is a really nice VN with some puzzling in it. It's nothing groundbreaking or anything, and probably the worst game I've recommended, but it's something to consider.

Why dialogue trees though?

Based Yea Forumsirgin autist
Fuck off OP, if you don't want the interactive part of vidya then don't force yourself into it.

Visual novels sound like the games for you.
Try the first Phoenix Wright if you're into that kind of stuff and play more if you liked it.

I can see why you'd say that, but consider how much mental processing is required to understand more difficult works.

I promise it was just to try to communicate on his level friend. I’m a brainlet through and through

I think I'm leaning more toward dialogue tree games because I like the idea of having all the different characterful choices to choose from and really getting a feel for the world and story. Minimal walking around and doing stuff. Just considering the options, reading some nice lines.

Take this scenario. You boot up an RPG. You get a quest. Or task, mission, whatever. Doesn't even have to be an RPG. What now?
Does that bother you, that you don't just turn the next page and progress? Because that's going to cut out virtually every game you could possibly enjoy.

Rimworld is a story, it's just that you experience and remember a unique dynamic story rather than what someone already wrote down for you.

It's the only game I've played in the last 10 years that I actually remember stories about.

You must try the Ace Attorney Trilogy. It's available on all modern platforms, including Steam.

Honestly, if you aren’t some posturing pseud, I’d suggest sticking to books. Vidya stories are basically what you’d get it you read any YA shit anyway, the advantage of the medium is combining story and gameplay, but you said you don’t like “mechanics,” and as I’ve said, video game stories aren’t usually very deep.

Not if I care about the characters and the dialogue is smart and there's tons of it to mull over and enjoy. If Planescape has that, then I should probably buy it now.

Who is more active, a man contemplating a painting of Michelangelo or a kid painting a stick figure? The man might be thinking on a higher level, but the kid is still thinking in a more active way.

What about:

If you want to play a book, it's planescape.

Decided then. Possibly. 90%.

Won't text based cyoa be better for OP considering he wants minimal input and maximum reading?

Or something like Ace attorney? That's probably still too much. I don't know any visual novels that are all text and no game, it's not even a video game at that point then why come here?

Planescape's great but around the halfway point of the game it has a lot of really shitty combat encounters.

If I remember correctly it was a bit rushed.

Sadly, I'm just not into the whole anime look.

Damn it.

>wut is emuelayter!?!!?!?!!!!!

Attached: grayons.jpg (720x736, 32K)

I just wouldn’t recommend walking sims to someone getting into games. I was being harsh with the word choice there.
But
Fallout new Vegas (already said but ignored)
Cultist simulator (tough to understand, easy to play on a technical level with pause available at anytime and runs on toasters.)
Rain world (this one I’m still sort of starting to click with, part of me hates the play forming and part of me is so compelled by everything else to get good I don’t mind it)
Dark messiah of might and magic (finding secrets in this game stayed with me, always felt cool)
Dark souls (been discussed to death)
Vampyr on easy mode (I fucking hated 75% of the game but there was a cool dialogue/choice in place)

I tried to not do all the Yea Forums core here

The fucking nigger is out for story based games (with not too much gameplay as I interpret it), and you think those are good recommendations for that kind of person?

Fucking think, man.

Sorry to say but I think CRPGs (older ones) and VNs are your best bet.

Well, I was going to go finally land on Planescape but then this guy came along

honestly outside of VNs, there's remarkably little actual choice in games, most RPGs just have skippable content, not alternate paths or outcomes, that's what made alpha protocol so good

It is too mechanically heavy though, OP is looking for walking sims and point and clicks and visual novels. He will hate the base and resource management.

>wut is a "shitty laptop" which can barely run anything we hav recummendd alredy?
Also with OP's approach, he is likely mot

>wut is a "shitty laptop" which can barely run anything we hav recummendd alredy?
Also with OP's approach, he is likely motivated to get a PS2 emulator up and running for a game of any sort, let's make it easy for him.

Well you're fucked then if you don't wanna deal with anime archetypes.
999 has a nice world to explore through dialogue, mixed with some puzzles. I really like it and especially its successor Virtue's Last Reward. If you really want dialogue trees then that's what I would recommend, as I haven't played any Telltale games and neither am I a fan of CRPGs.

OP is a poopoo head
Just play Grim Fandango you poopoo head
or Silent hill 2

Just play it on the easiest difficulty and use a guide if you must to avoid combat encounters. Think of it like the ridiculously long digressions in Victor Hugo novels or whatever, a necessary bit of tedium before getting to more of the good stuff

nice try op

Maybe if Dostoyevsky wasn't 150 years old and wrote in Russian and French then you may have a point. Maybe if your comment didn't make zero sense then you'd have a point. Heck, go all out nextime, say "I can't imagine what you'd think reading HYPOTHETICAL MARTIAN".

Attached: 1484519327154.jpg (768x1024, 77K)

game version of I have no mouth and I must scream? Haven't played it but just read the short story last night.

Play story-driven point-and-click games.
I'm a fan of first-person horror/mystery P&Cs myself. Here are a few suggestions in random order:

Scratches
Dark Fall: The Journal
Dark Fall 2: Lights Out
Rhiannon
Barrow Hill: Curse of the Ancient Circle
Barrow Hill 2: The Dark Path
Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting
1953 - KGB Unleashed
Myst
Necronomicon: The Dawning of Darkness
Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder

He said about 6 times that he wanted to get back into games, and I can’t consciously recommend a game like to the moon being the one to get you there, but ur right curtailing to his rules my list is pretty stupid

As an English major in university, OP is a colossal faggot and one of the many, many people that made classes insufferable.

The problem is that your requirements are too narrow.
Not liking gameplay basically restricts you to a couple of genres like point&click/adventure, VN and maybe puzzles/mystery.

But then you don't like "immature" or "anime" games which make up the majority of those types.

Honestly, only thing really left would be something like the Myst series, which some people already mentioned.

planescape torment. minimal gameplay.

It’s an old school adventure game like Monkey Island. Not sure if that’s up your alley. The writing is good though

I honestly don't get it. At that point, why not just read a book?

You really should be wearing a longer skirt if you're going to be sleeping in the cold.

gta 5 its funny and you just drive around to move story forward.

Utawarerumono

You know the funny thing? I studied a science. A shit load of assumptions in this thread and most are unfounded.

>a science
wow one whole science

Sigh.

holy autism, Batman

Just because you read Nietzsche’s Gay Science thinking it would be about cocksucking doesn’t make you a scientist, user

Why art thou not respondeth to game recommendations that thee thineself inquired for?

A science you say? M'lad.

Attached: 1555469060503.png (453x577, 218K)

So what good books can I read that don't have any words? I find all the words really get in the way of enjoying the book, so the fewer the better!

BLAM!

Attached: 1547747402882.jpg (1500x1500, 210K)

This. They can't be too immature though, and I really don't like the manga artstyle.

Apologies to anyone wanting a response to their game-related posts. I'm out. Cba to handle the five year olds.

I've got one right here user.

>search for picture book
>this is the third result
wat

Attached: 61SChGXfecL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg (260x322, 27K)

Yeah, no picture books, that's too immature for me

Read Blame!
It's what's called a japanese "graphic novel", or "manga" as I like to call them and has like 10 speech bubbles in the entire thing

Verily He departed into the cool breeze of the August air.
A figure more shadow than the night sky around him, his intellect unparalleled

I dunno, sounds kind of immature, user. I need something more like Kierkegaard or Trotsky to keep the dull, insipid thoughts used by the plebeians at bay.

Sorry, English majors are fun to pick on. I almost fell into that trap, but luckily I had used vidya as a medium to branch out and discovered a love of engineering.

Attached: ss_55448be442e88bd6e6ba6d0b00fbacb1cad8540a.1920x1080.jpg (1024x768, 114K)

But you never gave a response to my game related post anyway.

>gets a million game recommendations
>acts like we were no help and leaves when most of the thread sees through the BS

But no trolling here guys

any more games like these?

>mature literary publication that doesn't require the reader pay attention to the words to enjoy it
have you tried nude magazines

Fuck, we should have recommended him H-games.

user he was 90% of the way to planescape when some big bad guy had to go and tell him that there would be gameplay halfway through the game

A bit too base, don't you think?

Fuck off, shithead.

If you can stand reaching out of your comfort zone and playing a f2p MMO, The Secret World is pretty good. It's got some of the best puzzles I've seen in video games, and the setting's a grimdark mishmash of mythologies and fiction from around the world. It helps that the lead designer used to make point and click games. Too bad the gameplay is shit

There's nothing I hate more than when my videogame experience is interrupted by the need to play the videogame.

read The Lusty Argonian Maid

I assure you it's highly intellectual entertainment for true connoisseurs such as myself.
Might I also suggest Goodnight Punpun, another japanes "graphic novel". A truly touching coming of age story that also deals with matters of alienation and mental health.
I must warn you though, it is a bit more verbose than Blame.

Firewatch is pretty good. Short but good.

>Firewatch is pretty good
kindly kill yourself

Unironically the witcher, if you avoid sidequests that are very bland, and until you realize dialog options are just giving you the false idea you're making a choice in the dialog

this is autistic

Doesn't LITERALLY EVERYONE getting a 4 year degree have to study a science?

pffft while you were studying your science i was studying the blade

It's a pretty fucking vague statement. Could mean his degree is in science, could mean he took a class, could mean he read about it cause he was bored

Stay thine tongue, oaf. I propound whilst thou schturped the womenfolk, mineself hath divined the art of protean cantankerousness!
>translocate hither
BLAMME! Wallop thine haunch!
>endeavor to fathom mine mortal coil?
Be reduced to decumbency at the hand of mine galosh ensnarement!

Mine multidisciplinary bellicosity is ordained to ravage thine bag of bones!

Attached: 1540307222856.png (981x544, 319K)

Nice weaponised autism, I'm impresded

Yeah for real I don't read a lot of manga but Punpun was really good.

M'good gentlesirs. tis a wonderful topic, I tip my hat to thee.

I see. This discourse has coaxed me into looking further into this "Punpun" character. I thank you, good gentleman, for your delightful recommendation. Indeed.

Attached: 1547515295958.jpg (200x200, 14K)

BASED

I don't usually bring out the sperg in me, but when I do I want to make it count.

His system likely won't run newer two games and the first is very high bar of entry for a super-casual like OP.

unironically Firewatch, but its very short

relatable

I don't know if I agree, he seems like a prick, but he may have also just gotten his feelings hurt and gotten sidelined. Either way I respect your autism user

Trails in the sky.

fuck off

Attached: 1346244219730.gif (224x200, 46K)

No please don’t recommend that to him.

>against mechanics
please go and never come back

Attached: 1371158337826.gif (150x160, 21K)