Why isn't mario's movement as complex anymore in the newer games?

Why isn't mario's movement as complex anymore in the newer games?

Attached: 216304-super-mario-64-nintendo-64-front-cover.jpg (1200x680, 120K)

deadass u dont kno shit kid

The fuck are you talking about?
Have you ever watched a Odyssey speed run?

yuhhh

op ur fkin dumb as shit lmaoo odyseyy is 10x the game ur old trash is

Bump

i did, and in none of them use half A presses or jumping to alternate dimensions to finish it faster.

*throws cap*
*dives*
*repeats for every jump in the game*

Odyssey has pretty good movement.
I still think 64 has a higher skill cap for base-mario movement though.

When I say base-mario, I mean some of the power ups in Odyssey are very well made, and offer a lot to explore.

Also I think Odyssey is the only 3D mario game that comes close to 64 when it comes to controlling mario. And it took 20 years to do that.

cap-throw was mistake

cap throw feels like I'm just following directions. There's very little variance, you just do it right or don't, and you shouldn't ever do it wrong.

Still better than Galaxy.

Galaxy has the worst movement in all the 3D mario games, yeah. Mario feels like he's running on sand, it's so slow and boring

I don't know, but Super Mario 64 ruined other games for me. The moveset was just too good. I find myself picking up similar games and trying to jump around and flip like in SM64 but I can't and it fucking sucks. No matter what game I play; if you can move a character around, be it in 3rd person or whatever it just feels like sluggish, boring crap. I hate it, I just hate how good SM64 feels compared to the literal garbage that followed it.

Sunshine objectively is more responsive and tighter then both oddyssy and 64, and also has more movement options/tools then mario in 64

The QPU system changed a bit in 2003 after NASA dropped funding, and there was a threatened civil suit from the KGB. The Tessa-Jeslon Project wasn't supposed to enter public knowledge and what was included in the procedural dimensional generation was only intended for internal testing and review. When the mapper decided to "accidentally" leave the code in there it was pretty much doomed from the start. You can't put that shit out to the public and not expect people to notice. not even mentioning the proven physical and psychological trauma the TJP can potentially inflict. Crossing too many QPUs is rumored to cause trans-dimensional seizure induction according to smhacks.net, so I wouldn't even blame them for trying to keep that shit under wraps. The damage that could be done if movement was enabled to cross the parallel lines would probably result in costly FOI acts or worse in countries without those provisions, which I don't doubt would only get worse. Then the coverups, legal fees, general backlash, yada yada, Nintendo would be boned and the TJP would be blown wide open. There goes a bunch of intelligence agencies targeting Nintendo. Though again according to smhacks.net in SM Galaxy in the first ice world level you can supposedly intercept a gamma pixel on the left corner, next to the spiked goomba spawn, and if you apply friction for fifteen hours it can lead to a spontaneous combustion effect akin to what was witnessed in SM64, though it's still in doubt whether it causes a physical dimension to be formed, though it was tracked to have caused gravitational disturbance at the very least so it's not something I'd really recommend anyone else attempt. Though interestingly the crossing there only took 2.6 seconds as opposed to 3.2 seconds in SM64, which would (I guess?) mean that TJP wasn't in fact shut down and has been developed further, and this is just another case of internal code leaking out beyond what the intelligence community speculated.

see
Mario in 64 is way more sluggish then in sunshine

>Try to turn while moving in 64; it takes mario like a full second to adjuist his walk angle an
>try to turn on a dime while moving in 64; fuckhuge turn radius
>try to run from a stop in 64; it takes mario like 2 seconds to actually reach top speed

>do all this in sunshine
>mario responds near instantly

Sunshine controls are too snappy for my tastes. That's not to say that they are bad.

Literally nothing wrong with that. You've got so much fucking freedom in your movement that way

That's fucking absurd

>the controls are too good.

It's almost the exact same with some additions. Why are you shitheads so infatuated with romanticizing older games beyond what they actually were? Does that, in your point of view, legitimize your opinions in some way? Are you truly this starved for approval?

My problem with Sunshine's controls is that it smooths your analog stick angle to 8 directions to where it feels almost as if you were using a d-pad, which makes it really hard to do precision movement if the platform isn't aligned with the camera exactly right.

Is that built into the game, or a result of the controller gating?

I can't say I remember that being a thing but I'll take your word for it.

It's built into the game because of the controller gating.

So using a different controller won't help?

nope

for the same reason newer pokemon games are basically a game-long tutorial. This generation of kids is dumber and has less tolerance to frustration.

Mario sunshine also has giant segments where you're just floating from platform to platform with the jetpack thing.

If that wasn't a factor, the thing you said would matter. Also there's no long jump in Sunshine, and that's literally the most satisfying movement option to input.

>that's literally the most satisfying movement option to input
I prefer the sliding kick myself

I literally can't tell who are zoomers and who are pretending to be zoomers to bait anymore

Attached: 1565046071764.jpg (768x960, 87K)

What's wrong with liking an aspect of a game, and wanting newer games to incorporate that aspect, exactly?

Odyssey incorporated it a little bit, by making mario's movement options really complex in comparison to galaxy and 3D World, and everybody loves Odyssey for it. It's almost like Mario controlling well is the whole reason people like these games.

I'm not even sure it's necessary to use the jetpack mod at any point in the game. Wish they had scrapped it, or at least made it so you wouldn't start levels with it.

I mean, I guess that's interesting, but the game wasn't designed for mario without the jetpack to be able to get through, and the game is already really hard with it.

If the whole game was designed around a mechanic that is boring, you can't just say "if it's so boring, then just don't use it" because that's just awful in it's own way, even if it would probably make for an interesting speedrun category or something.

Is there a more perfect vidya form than Mario 64?

And I'm referring to Mario as in Super Mario 64 with the Long Jumps and Dive Jumps (with exponentially infinite momentum) equipped with a Bob Omb and control of backwards jumping clipping walls, a complete mastery of wall-jumping and the capability to perform quantum travelling through parallel worlds and extremely skillful at backwards longshort jumping, able to accelerate through space and time to the point, us mortals, cannot even coprehend?

He is truly the most perfect absolute form of movement.

Attached: perfect mario.jpg (824x508, 158K)

>What's wrong with liking an aspect of a game, and wanting newer games to incorporate that aspect, exactly?
But they do incorporate those aspects. Mario Sunshine had every mechanic from Mario 64, evidenced by the levels without the backpack. Galaxy did, as well, with the addition of the star sprite or whatever it was called.
What in the 7 realms of fuck are you even complaining about?

>Arigato...Mario