Jeremy Soulless

Why is this guy held in such high regard? Everyone and their mother, including on Yea Forums, praises as if he's some kind of musical genius and one of the best composers in the industry, yet literal nobodies compose music better than him. This is particularly obvious when it involves multiple games in the same series For example, let's take the Kotor score composed by him:

This is the music that plays in Kotor 1 on the Ebon hawk
>youtube.com/watch?v=0OWD7Pd31XU

This is Kotor 2 music for the Ebon hawk (composed by somebody else):
>youtube.com/watch?v=gJfORv7qQ0s

Now, which of these do you think is more fitting for a ship that is a safe haven where you get to have deep conversations with your companions? Even aside from context, the Kotor 2 track is simply a much better piece of music from a technical perspective than Soule's.

And the Kotor 1 track also double as Tatooine music. Kotor 1 doesn't even have unique music for its areas, every track is reused for different areas, no matter how poorly it fits.

That's just one track, but everything I said about it applies to the entirety of Kotor's score, and Soule's music in general. His compositions have zero personality and are devoid of any emotional hook. I guess it's fitting that he's the composer for bland Bethesda games.

Attached: JeremySouleByAE2011.jpg (220x233, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rwks61-910c
youtube.com/watch?v=x3VRFCxQXow
youtube.com/watch?v=aXAhl9y-3sM
youtube.com/watch?v=-kMsj9Pb6Ms
youtube.com/watch?v=mmZGrvAvPZM
youtube.com/watch?v=qC9Ri2hZsos
youtube.com/watch?v=p1jpnHNjq2k
youtube.com/watch?v=GdGlJOZxRuA
youtube.com/watch?v=4V1ZB1rWsS4
youtube.com/watch?v=zUiznPRhtn8
youtu.be/4V6ayeiKkT4
youtube.com/watch?v=MpdvSNIf4XU
discogs.com/Various-Baldurs-Gate-II-Enhanced-Edition-Official-Soundtrack/release/11370127
youtube.com/watch?v=gKNOPbxC8CM
youtube.com/watch?v=YPZtRmx1Dyk
youtube.com/watch?v=PXpfCDZkiyY
youtube.com/watch?v=bEgLvaMDT4E
youtube.com/watch?v=xn8fQMRsaqU
youtube.com/watch?v=M2XN1X2oFTw
youtube.com/watch?v=XfnGENEbwNg
youtube.com/watch?v=DTwwIKU82xE
youtu.be/fx_CuNLsbgo
youtu.be/NBIRYjP1NNM
youtu.be/ascfjJXDWjo
youtube.com/watch?v=Wc4w0AXWcnI
youtube.com/watch?v=ih9Q01HcxIA
youtube.com/watch?v=GQ2-ry0k79w
youtube.com/watch?v=vjbbdWT63Lc
youtube.com/watch?v=jW_2aYUH1yg
youtube.com/watch?v=bt-z8PiENl4
youtube.com/watch?v=sFAKECUeew0
youtube.com/watch?v=WcOGklSXBLE
youtube.com/watch?v=G8F3ci2pmqg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Icewind dale and neverwinter nights are pretty balla

typical hipster faggot
>hurr durr something is popular
>therefore bad!

how about you post some of your favourite music so we can nitpick it to death and call you a cunt for liking it

Oblivion has great tunes but I would agree that he is rather generic.

He also has a huge, unsightly ego.

>casually shits on your favorite soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=Rwks61-910c

You mean TOTAL ANNIHILATION
Dat opening theme

>thread where op picks some of his less recognized works and babbles about it

>Icewind dale and neverwinter nights are pretty balla

Icewind Dale has some decent tracks, particularly the title theme, but his Neverwinter Nights score sounds just as samey as his other work.

Listen to these two tracks and tell me with a straight face they couldn't have come from the same game:

youtube.com/watch?v=x3VRFCxQXow

youtube.com/watch?v=aXAhl9y-3sM

That's another problem with his music: it all sounds the same. It doesn't matter if he's for a space opera or high fantasy, he just reuses the same generic 'orchestral but not really orchestral' soundscape for every game.

>thread where op picks some of his less recognized works and babbles about it

>music for the most highly rated Star Wars game ever made
>"less recognized work"

Attached: 1549152541649.jpg (1200x1386, 118K)

Only thing I heard about him recently was him scamming on kickstarter.

I don't think he's bad per se, he's just not amazing.
Compare Dawn of War 1s music with Dawn of war 2s the first was composed by Soule the second by a literal who. The second really captured the atmosphere of the 41st millennium, whilst Soule's soundtrack could have been used for basically anything.
The only track he's composed that truly captured the setting has been Sons of Skyrim; I love Nerevar Rising but it didn't capture the essence of Vardenfell and the story of the Nerevarine, Reign of the Septims was basically He's a Pirate presented by Jeremy Soule.

Is this bair? The first link sounds like a wholesome hub theme, the basoon sounds really nice, but the second link sounds like some melodramatic prequels bullshit

The "best star wars game" pales in comparison to a generic open world game made by a retarded developer like Bethesda.

The Total Annihilation OST and the KOTOR OST really made this guy into the John Williams of video games

youtube.com/watch?v=-kMsj9Pb6Ms

Honestly OP you're right, when I think of the Ebon Hawk I think of the KOTOR2 theme, to the point where I even remember KOTOR1 conversations with it.

The Total Annihilation OST and the KOTOR OST really made this guy into the John Williams of video games

John Williams is actually talented.

Soule is more like the Hans Zimmer of video game music: talentless to the core, but the normies eat it up anyway.

only gets praised because people have fond memories of the games he worked on and those games are long
you're like hammered with the ok music he composed for hundreds of hours
its like proust's madeleine
hearing that shit brings back the good memories of the game
music is ok not great
no need to get your panties all twisted like that op

>He also has a huge, unsightly ego
What do you mean? Does he shit on people constantly?

Skyrim may be a generic bland open world game, but the soundtrack is kino and anyone who says otherwise is a faggot

youtube.com/watch?v=mmZGrvAvPZM

youtube.com/watch?v=qC9Ri2hZsos

youtube.com/watch?v=p1jpnHNjq2k

Attached: dFjwYby.jpg (1440x691, 120K)

He was comparing music piracy to holocaust and he's overall a shitty person.

Secunda is fucking great, never get tired of listening to it

The Skyrim ost is very good tho OP

Wrong.
mandalorian battle is very easily recognizable as star wars music. It wouldn't fit on a medieval game at all.

Are those tracks supposed to be special in anyway?

You can literally take any random fantasy RPG and find better music. For example:

youtube.com/watch?v=GdGlJOZxRuA

youtube.com/watch?v=4V1ZB1rWsS4

youtube.com/watch?v=zUiznPRhtn8

Attached: 1552404270217.jpg (600x485, 25K)

This thread pretty accuratelly sums up what is wrong with Yea Forums.

>Hey, hey, look at me, I don't like THING!
>Am I unique? Look at how unique I am because I don't like THING and THING is pretty popular!
>It's only tangentially related to the subject of the board, and I am literally not saying anything anyone in the fucking universe would ever, EVER fucking care to know, but LOOK AT ME! I AM SPECIAL FOR NOT LIKING THINGS! PAY ATTENTION TO ME FOR GOD SAKE! LOOOK! TELL ME I'M SPECIAL!

Guys, let's make this absolutely clear:
Not liking something does not make you interesting. Nobody gives a fuck. Say something worth saying, or fucking lurk.

Inon Zur is better overall
youtu.be/4V6ayeiKkT4

I'll happily defend Jeremy Soul as a good composer but he can't compose battle music for shit. He's great at atmosphere, ambience and comfyness but his combat music is complete trash.

I actually don't like him that much overall. His Guild Wars stuff was good but all the other stuff I'm not too excited about. With one exception. His first vidya soundtrack ever. Maybe it's nostalgia because it's one of my favorite games of all time, but his Secret of Evermore stuff is simply magical to me.
youtube.com/watch?v=MpdvSNIf4XU

That wasn't composed by Inon Zur:

discogs.com/Various-Baldurs-Gate-II-Enhanced-Edition-Official-Soundtrack/release/11370127

Secunda reminds me of that one track in Oblivion too much

>video game music and discussion thereof doesn't belong on the video game board
weird take

Thread ended here. Soule is a master of instrumentation matched today only by Gavin Bryars and experimentalists whose music is too abrasive to be atmospheric or any fun at all. He has written a lot of bad music, and it's easy to come up with examples of his failures, but when he's on his game the only vidya composer working today who is putting out music this good is Inon Zur.

Come on, this sounds like In the Nursery. It isn't bad but it's synth rock. Fair enough the composer can't be discounted for his programming skills, but can you imagine what this would sound like if it were played by a live ensemble? Compare this to Rob King and Paul Romero's music for EverQuest and Heroes of Might & Magic, which also sounds amateurish but is rich in atmosphere anyway and full of lively melodies.

youtube.com/watch?v=gKNOPbxC8CM
To be fair, NWN1 contains over an hour of the worst boss fight music ever written.

Attached: gyroids.jpg (500x300, 71K)

step aside peasants, the king has arrived

Attached: DsLRh-OVsAAJgKI.jpg (1200x799, 76K)

youtube.com/watch?v=YPZtRmx1Dyk

Skyrim Atmospheres BTFOs OP eternally. Jeremy Chad Soule composes 45 minutes of ambient music gently interspersed with music, and manages to hit nature sounds from every major biome in Skyrim, gently moving from one majestic piece to another almost without notice, making for one of the most atmospheric soundscapes in vidya.

Of all the things people shit on Skyrim for, atmosphere is not one, and it isn't even down to one of the devs, but this bad boy.

youtube.com/watch?v=PXpfCDZkiyY
ONE SINGLE NOTE, and I've got chills.

I still can't get over the fact that this hack used generic orchestral pieces as background for Morrowind. The games setting is literally filled with wind chimes, lutes and bongos/drums but you won't hear neither in even a single track.

youtube.com/watch?v=bEgLvaMDT4E
Most people don't remember that he also did this.

Posting some quality Inon Zur pieces for the hell of it.
youtube.com/watch?v=xn8fQMRsaqU
youtube.com/watch?v=M2XN1X2oFTw
youtube.com/watch?v=XfnGENEbwNg

And then there's Derek Duke.
youtube.com/watch?v=DTwwIKU82xE

I can tell you are OP because your post is full of the same psycho errors we saw up there. It's obvious you have an axe to grind. Why not just be honest and say you don't like the guy? You're in good company - nobody likes him. But your observation about Morrowind is silly and crazy. Stop posting.

Attached: 1418858944955-3.jpg (1360x768, 130K)

>But your observation about Morrowind is silly and crazy.
lol can you refute it? Soul just makes generic string and flutes 24/7 for everything fantasy related. Vvvardenfells is unique enough that it's music should be easy to distinguish from the one in Cyrodril but guess what it isn't and putting Morrowind music in Oblivion is one of the more popular mods.

did the ost for this.
was based af.

Attached: Secret-of-Evermore-primer-jefe.jpg (691x501, 345K)

What music you like is purely subjective.
But Soule objectively writes good music because he knows how instruments play well together and when what instrument should get louder or more silent.
If Morrowind's, Oblivion's, or Skyrim's music didn't send chills down your spine the first time hearing it, you objectively have shit taste in good composition.

>but can you imagine what this would sound like if it were played by a live ensemble?

So what, music can only be good if it's played by a live orchestra? Almost none of Soule's music uses live instruments either (he uses synthesizers), so how does this argument even make sense?

Attached: 1238812812.jpg (117x180, 11K)

the KOTOR 2 composer seemed to actually enjoy making a dark version of John William's Star Wars score

Morrowind and Oblivions soundtracks were fantastic, and obviously viewed through nostalgia goggles now that elevate them to beyond amazing.

Skyrim was good too desu, he just makes good music that's well made that fit the games he's in.

>lol can you refute it? Soul just makes generic string and flutes 24/7 for everything fantasy related.
Even his music for non-fantasy games is guilty of that. Truly the sign of a great composer.

Because he makes music that is appreciated and enjoyed by many people

based Soken
youtu.be/fx_CuNLsbgo
youtu.be/NBIRYjP1NNM
youtu.be/ascfjJXDWjo
youtube.com/watch?v=Wc4w0AXWcnI

In contrast I would like to point out Jesper Kyd's soundtrack for Hitman Blood money

youtube.com/watch?v=ih9Q01HcxIA

The soundtrack is so diverse, nothing sounds the same

Kyd has a great range of genres from electronic to symphonic he's great at everything. But this thread isn't about good composer but certified hacks.

agree 100%, incredibly overrated and lame dude

Lmao what a dipshit. Anyway link related is the best soundtrack.

youtube.com/watch?v=GQ2-ry0k79w

thnks fr th mmrs

This 100%

>Vvvardenfells is unique enough that it's music should be easy to distinguish from the one in Cyrodril
So wouldn’t Oblivion’s soundtrack be the one you should be trashing since Morrowind came first?

DoW has some of the best music, ever. Just for this, he can do and say whatever he wants. And that is just one soundtrack.

LA HEE

What am I looking at?

Attached: EE28A2A8-D38D-44E7-8CE2-4032E55F1949.jpg (660x515, 43K)

Jesper kyd is the best

no.

Hipsters ruined this board.

they're video game soundtracks. lots of video game soundtracks are going to sound similar because they're meant to evoke similar emotions and they're meant to play during A or B point in the game. there's only so much you can do with a video game soundtrack, you have no idea what you're talking about and are unqualified to make a sound judgement on this matter. his music is transcendent and elevates whatever game it's in. Guild Wars was pretty great. it just doesn't matter how "unique" it sounds, it's the fact that when he does the tracks for a game you know it's going to sound good throughout barring any developer errors insofar as when they choose to use his songs in the game. get fukt dude u have no case

>Dungeon Siege
Oh man, now that was a great game!

Total Annihilation sold the man to me, and still does.

this is the type of criticism the thread should have led with. this actually makes sense, rather than claiming broadly that soule makes generic or bland music, which is patently false

Attached: 1530685295292.jpg (480x360, 22K)

Another of his hidden gems is the Quidditch World Cup soundtrack where he was allowed to work with a full orchestra. Lots of big brassy stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=vjbbdWT63Lc

This.

Too bad Michael Hoenig only did Baldurs Gate.
I hope they get him back for BG 3.

I can agree with that. I loved his work on Guild Wars 1, but his battle tracks weren't anything memorable.

youtube.com/watch?v=jW_2aYUH1yg
Makes me shiver me timbers meladdy.

Attached: Shiver-Me-Timbers-3-3464d13.jpg (620x413, 47K)

youtube.com/watch?v=bt-z8PiENl4
Fuck, this hits me in the nostalgia.

>hipsterfag anal about something good and popular over years
>youtube.com/watch?v=sFAKECUeew0
Fuck you heretic!

Did his kickstarter album come out yet?

Not really, All of oblivion soundtrack itself was presented as "LOTR RPG EPIC adventure", which fit with the idea of Cyrodiil post Dragon Break retcon being that
Also Reign of the Septims has 2 versions, the Menu + Dagon showdown music, and the Intro one which is longer and fits with the other musics ingame as one single theme.

>youtube.com/watch?v=WcOGklSXBLE
ironically, Oblivion's music is relaxing as fuck, losing only to Morrowind.

Attached: wallpapers-oblivion--28elder-scrolls-iv-29-215102_1024_768.jpg (1024x768, 1007K)

>still baiting to get (you)
you are the bonafide example of everything wrong with Yea Forums

He uses the same digital instruments library and probably programs he always did, focuses on same melodies and types of woodwind, brass and drums. Using all of them as well because they fit in together. Also likely editing and and making the final cut either himself or the same guy he uses meaning it will have the similar technical arrangement coming to your ears. One game's soundtrack sounds like another's. Even if it's a ww2 plane game lol.

Well he works for a paycheck and he doesn't even have to do the work, he is probably rich.
Composers struggled most in their lives with inspiration and self-doubt throughout history. They are very self aware and critical of what they have made. Soule knows about the obvious complaint.
He is able to produce every time when developers need him though.

Blame the games too. Just takes a slightly different game atmosphere like in Icewind Dale OR deeper message in the game and already the music sounds slightly to a lot different
youtube.com/watch?v=G8F3ci2pmqg

Journalist media and retards will always have a need for a face, it's always been like that. Just like that Baba Yetu thing.
I would agree he is overrated as he is singled out because of his work on seminal western games but his music in general is excellent and appropriate.

Funny that you use Ebon Hawk as an example since Jeremy’s Ebon Hawk for Kotor 1 sounds waaaay more unique and original than 2’s extremely generic strings although it still sounds good

His music is okay. He phones it in sometimes, not unusual. But he is a piece of shit because he did a kickstarter, raised $150,000, never delivered and doesn't feel the least bit of remorse about having just pocketed his fans' money like that. There's always been rumors he's a massive asshole. It seems they are true.

Never paid attention to this before, but looks like it's true

every song you posted sucks

it's always like that, are you new to Yea Forums
don't go to those 'your battle theme' etc. threads

I'm not a fan of his wallpaper music.