Are Gaming Laptops worth it?

Should I buy one of these?

Attached: 550205-a-compact-restrained-design.jpg (810x456, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Asus-TUF-FX505DY-Ryzen-5-3550H-Radeon-RX-560X-Laptop-Review.412117.0.html
lmgtfy.com/?q=Dell charger unknown
walmart.com/ip/Laptop-4-1GHz-NVIDIA-i5-9300H-RAM-GTX-ASUS-Intel-Turbo-GeForce-8GB-1660Ti-Core-6GB-GDDR6-15-6-PCIE-ROG-SSD-512GB-2-4GHz-STRIX-GL531GU-WB53/665853169?u1=&oid=223073.1&wmlspartner=6xJhMJDSy2I&sourceid=35707239963570384032&affillinktype=10&veh=aff
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you really want to spend a lot of money on a computer that you can never upgrade then sure

If you want to spend twice the money for half the power, yes.

My brother bought this

notebookcheck.net/Asus-TUF-FX505DY-Ryzen-5-3550H-Radeon-RX-560X-Laptop-Review.412117.0.html

its cheap, only 650 USD, powerful enough for a laptop to play demanding games in mid settings.

Buying a high powered laptop is a meme anyway. too high powered and too high resolution and too high specs will just make the laptop too heavy and too battery draining

depends if you need it, i have a 5k laptop and move around a lot but also have that kinda money to throw around because i move around a lot
you are better off getting a desktop because they can run color and are cheaper, but if you need a laptop you need a laptop
>that you can never upgrade then sure
most laptops can be upgrade if you know how to work with motherboards, but most don't

>color
cooler*
so tired

Only if you move around.

As a rule of thumb, no.

DIY or even get a prebuilt tower, since a desktop is a more ergonomic and upgradeable setup. To me, a laptop is for being productive on the go, with maybe some light games to kill time on things like flights.

However, if you travel enough, it might make sense.

>gaming
>laptop

Attached: 1556338491805.jpg (1000x694, 59K)

I got a laptop due to lack of room and outlets in my dinky apartment. When I get a house I'm building a godlike PC.

you people are so fucking cringe
this isn't the early 2000s

How do you people miss all the people who say they regret falling for the gaming laptop meme?

If you can get one that can be upgraded, sure.

Literally all gaming laptops since Broadwell cant be upgraded since intel forced all CPUs to be BGA, and all laptop use BGA GPUs because its way cheaper than MXM.

>you people are so fucking cringe
have sex

They've gotten better now. If you bought one before 2017, I'd have called you an idiot, but now they're alright. I bought one 2 years ago because of college and it's good. GTX 1060 6GB, an i7 6700HQ @ 3.2GHz and 16GB RAM and no thermal issues and can even upgrade some parts.

What about a gaming laptop and a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure? I've been watching these for a few years, and the bottleneck has gotten better, but it's not altogether gone yet.

Attached: 641259-641112-razer-chroma-egpu-razer-brief-10.jpg (412x231, 25K)

Just get a desktop then.

I need a laptop, mainly for college schoolwork, but also to play older games.
What should I get under a thousand USD?

If you a lot or long commutes, then yes. If you're a wageslave who works at minimum wage in a warehouse, no.

You can request a gaming laptop at HR and the company will usually buy it for you free or charge, if your work laptop doesn't do its job. It's how I upgrade mine every 2 years.

>I got a laptop due to lack of room and outlets in my dinky apartment.

>what are ITX builds
>what are power strips

not sure how you can afford a house if youre this fucking retarded

Attached: WSP-600PLF-15BK_01[1].jpg (2000x1500, 397K)

>he doesn't have a reballing station at home

gaming laptops are better than pcs

But i do thanks to macbooks.

What is an Uninterruptible Power Supply?

If you wanna sacrifice performance for convenience and portability, sure.
I can run Ace Combat 7 on my laptop, for instance, without overheating, but only at medium-high settings. I travel a lot, so it's great.

The other posters have posted the negatives of a gaming laptop (generally slower, overheat more, can't upgrade, overpriced etc etc)
but the main reason you want a gaming laptop is if you travel or move around a lot.
They're also good if you like to go to friend's places a lot to play vidya, a laptop's quicker and easier to set up for a LAN party than a PC.
I travel a lot for work and my MSI laptop has been the best $1.7k I've ever spent.
While everyone else is cucked at the airport/flight/train/bus sitting on their phone i'm playing Dwarf Fortress or doing shit in Eve Online.

I've had my laptop for about 6 years and it's still holding up so far. Didn't know most regretted it, Mines made playing whatever games I want whenever I want.

MSI makes good "gaming" laptops unlike everyone else because they are the only company that uses real heatsinks with ball bearing fans in most of their mid and high end models.

The only complain i have when it comes to fixing them is the soldered power jack.
The board absorbs heat like you have no idea so its really hard to solder a new one if it ever gets damaged.

Lenovo? ok laptops, shitty heatsinks.
HP? total joke.
Acer? Literally no durability.
Alienware? ok but overpriced.
Razer? shit and overpriced.

Also add Dell to the shit tier laptops.
>What is so bad about them
To give you a idea, Dell laptops have chargers with DRM that get damaged all the time and will refuse to charge the laptop even when its working properly, that is all i need to say about them.

He can't afford a house, that's why he rents a shitty apartment.

I use mine as more of a portable desktop since I move around a lot. Only other place I'd ever use it is on a flight, but then I'm relegated to non-demanding games since the batteries drain in 1-2 hours. A gaming laptop isn't really worth it if you're gonna be lugging it around uni or using it in bed.

I have a Metabox/Clevo laptop with a 485M in it that runs at 99C and it's still going to to this day. Highly reccomend that brand. Also you can buy it without windows then buy a win10 pro CD key on the internet for $10 and you've saved yourself heaps of cash and are still legit

I've never had a dell charger break on me. A type c would be better but they've been using the same charger for over a decade so you can get them for a few bucks.

*you're

I just use an external gpu adapter, performance is pretty good if you have a decent cpu. Portability is the main thing I look for in a laptop, besides, I can't really get into a game unless I'm sitting at my desk.

which adapter do you use?

>Acer, no durability
I spent $400 on an Acer netbook 12 years ago and it still works like a charm
It's only 1.6ghz single core, 1 gig of ram and 100gig hard drive but even now it's a great retro games machine.
Hell I haven't even formatted or reinstalled Windows XP since I got it.

My only complaint with laptops as a whole is the battery life is still fucking so bad.
Even brand new laptops or new high capacity batteries and they run like 40min to an hour tops.
When the fuck are we getting laptops that run for 10 hours without a battery? You know... to make them more portable than having to plug in after 30 minutes.

>but then I'm relegated to non-demanding games since the batteries drain in 1-2 hours
flights and busses have had power outlets in them for years
but yea I agree with you.

A razer core, I don't remember which one. I got it for 120 euro's on sale, they're pretty overpriced now though.

bumping this question. My MSI's CPU RAM and everything is still great but it's gfx card is only a Geforce 850M. Been thinking of either building a desktop PC or getting an external GPU.

>they're pretty overpriced now though.
probably because Chinese have been buying them for mining bitcoins, likely.

Isn't it cheaper to just get a shit psu and cheap mobo though?

iunno, probably.
i havent caught up with hardware prices for 7+ years, apart from all the pink wojack threads on Yea Forums a year or two ago when gfx cards were $1.5k a pop.

Acer changed like you have no idea when they bought eMachines and Gateway, first 2 years it was good, after that they became laptops with that use brittle plastic cases to focus in specs.
Too bad you also get shitty chargers, batteries, keyboards and screens.
But hey, you get good specs.

For example their batteries in modern laptops are literally 4 18650 cells TAPED together, not even soldered.

>For example their batteries in modern laptops are literally 4 18650 cells TAPED together, not even soldered.
All laptop batteries are like that, though.

Crypto drove the prices up hard when everyone and their mother is trying to mine.

Attached: aaaaa.png (180x237, 46K)

i purchased an alienware laptop 2 years ago for $2766. yes i had it tricked out with all the options.

anyways it worked good for 2 years and i sold it for $600 cause i didnt want it anymore.

but alienware is good company and it was a good laptop. i would buy from them again.

Nope, all modern laptops either use a external battery with 4 18650 batteries that are soldered properly or switched to cheap flat li-ion batteries for thinner laptops.

>$2766 laptop

Attached: 1536595880990.png (766x1000, 240K)

>mfw he could've got an MSI with the same specs for $1k cheaper

Attached: 1539681753613.png (407x333, 189K)

For example this is what an Acer laptop battery looks like, they break all the time.
The proper way would be use a metal strip that connects all the batteries and spot weld them, not multiple cables taped together.

Attached: 1005368-b_1.jpg (540x420, 34K)

I had built a tower that I used for a few years. decided that I wanted to get a laptop for gaming away from the usual space,

I like the laptop a lot more, don't know why, can't explain it. they are't bad though. just can't be upgraded is all and are slightly more expensive then a desktop counterpart

Attached: 66599962_2480148998717837_7877120679726809088_n.jpg (960x960, 171K)

I spent $1200 on a Lenovo Y540 and it has a RTX 2060, SSD, 16 gb ram and 144hz screen. Cooling is also great on it. Definitely no regrets and it's a fantastic gaming laptop for the price.

If you plan on spending over 800 dollars then hell no. You can build a superior tower and then spend the leftover on some thin thing that is actually suitable for being a laptop and not hulk a brick around whose fans spin at idle

Whats the cheapest gaming laptop I can get for playing the occasional game like csgo and overwatch?

I already have a gtx1080 and 4790k desktop pc.

It's like an all in one PC that you can shove into your backpack. I know SFF PCs exist but most of them have too awkward dimensions to put it into a carry on bag.

Very useful if you're a college student or travel a lot for work. Modern gaming laptops are pretty powerful and I almost wish I had a need for them since carrying around my steam library to work sounds like a really fun idea.

My current laptop is literally falling apart so I'm going to get a new one soon. The choice (as far as I can tell) is whether to get one strong enough to emulate ps2 and gamecube games, or one just strong enough for ps1. Any idea what sort of specs and price I'd be looking at for either?

this, I laugh at gaming laptops usually, but I recently bought a Razer Blade for college and video editing and have no regrets so far.

Anything with a GTX 1050 and upwards should be fine.

That's not true. I have a Dell and the only problem with the charger is that the tip bends.

Used Thinkpad.

This. I spent 2 years backpacking and snowboarding in Canada. Took my gaming laptop with me.
It was perfect for the long flights, the 16 hour bus trips and for the bad weather days in the hostels.
Nothing like coming back from a day's skiing and enjoying some vidya and a few beers. Everyone else in the hostel trying to watch Netflix on their phones but disconnecting constantly because 180 people all trying to watch Netflix on a shared 100mbit connection, lol.
I even had one person ask me "How are you able to play vidya when there's no internet?"

Desktops are better. I use a laptop because it was given to me by my brother who has a desktop. It can only run older titles and low powered indie games and I usually just have it hooked up with HDMI to my TV for watching videos, studying coding, and playing such games with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

>That's not true
Check: lmgtfy.com/?q=Dell charger unknown

Attached: wp_20140225_004.jpg (800x449, 69K)

And for those lazy enough to even click a link.

Attached: Dell is shit in simple words.png (677x702, 51K)

No.
No.

Attached: 1554084306497.png (427x163, 5K)

>meme laptop
>1060 hitting 85°+ in game
>Fans literally jet engine loud on full maximum
>Couple hours of googling for options/fixes
>Literally just turn down the CPU performance from 100% to 99%
>30° less temps
>Fan low to medium in the same game now

Wew

This is why I bought a laptop. In my country a 1080 was like £900-£1000 alone at the time.

A 1070, 16gb, i7, 17 inch laptop was £1000 so I said fuck it why not. It's permanently closed on my desk connected to a monitor. It's actually absolutely fine to use but when it fries in 3-5 years I'll build a proper pc

I have this laptop! It's not bad but it struggles REALLY hard on some games

>Apex
>PUBG
>GW2

These 3 games run at like 25-30 FPS with a lot of stuttering while other games like WoW and Overwatch run at 60+ FPS on all ultra, so I dunno.

I'm a security guard at the moment and its awesome being able to play demanding video games in the middle of the night when I'm just sitting around. Worth it depending on your situation

Well the GPU is a worse GT 1030, what were you expecting?

There’s a deal for a y545 for 800 idk if I should pull the trigger. I’m going to uni and am debating wether it’ll look spergy. Also heard some bad things about the battery. Alternative would be getting a normie refurbished Mac for the same price.

I really wonder if game streaming will take off, if it does it'll really benefit laptops, I can only play games thanks to Steam Remote Play on this laptop I borrowed

walmart.com/ip/Laptop-4-1GHz-NVIDIA-i5-9300H-RAM-GTX-ASUS-Intel-Turbo-GeForce-8GB-1660Ti-Core-6GB-GDDR6-15-6-PCIE-ROG-SSD-512GB-2-4GHz-STRIX-GL531GU-WB53/665853169?u1=&oid=223073.1&wmlspartner=6xJhMJDSy2I&sourceid=35707239963570384032&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

>full 1660ti
>i5-9300h
>120hz display
>512gb pcie
>ASUS mobo (best brand for mobos)

got this for $700 ($780 with a 16gb cl15 RAM kit). you literally cannot build a better pc with a comparable display at this price point. It can pretty much play any game out right now at 1080p at a stable 60fps

it has a RX 560x, which is a little bit more powerful than a 1050

Not the mobile version and no the X version.
The X versions were made for workstations rather than gaming reason why they suck.

Its AMD equivalent of Quadro GPUs when it comes to mobile devices because for whatever reason they don't have mobile firepro GPUs anymore.

The heatsink is a good reason why its a horrible idea.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 17K)

But MSI looks like shit, Alienware looks sexy

But MSI will last atleast 3 years and not run at 90°C average.

>higher quality gaymen laptops all have stupidly high resolution screens that they cant run any game made past 2004 at native res

Attached: 1383000416468.jpg (288x499, 24K)

If you actually need the mobility of a laptop then go ahead and get one. Otherwise a desktop is always better for the same price

I literally only bought one because I am going to be gone for 5 months living in a small apartment. can't take my desktop because I am flying out and I sure as fuck am not going to ship my rig out. Decided it was worth the money to have a means of entertainment while I am gone.

Otherwise if I was just gaming at home I wouldn't spend the money.

Honestly, upgrading is overrated. If you're upgrading your GPU every few months, I guess don't get a laptop. But if you're like most people and only upgrade every few years, upgrading only your GPU means it will be bottlenecked by an old CPU, and upgrading your CPU means upgrading your motherboard to get the newest socket. And upgrading your motherboard means upgrading ram to stay compatible.

Now you've bought an entirely new computer.

Yes, it will still be cheaper than a laptop, and run cooler. Those are the actual benefits of desktop over laptop. But I don't think upgradability factors in as much as some people suggest.

>>full 1660ti
Underclocked
>>i5-9300h
Probably good enough for any games that aren't CPU intensive

While this might sound alright it's going to shit the bed when you actually start playing games on it and it starts thermal throttling

For 1080p/60fps, plenty of decent laptops can be had for under $1500

>Now you've bought an entirely new computer.
Except for case, storage, psu and anything else you can reuse. Also depending on your upgrade the ram might be reusable

Also it's usually your GPU that isn't good enough in games so in many cases just the GPU is enough

2070+ or bust homie

They might be if those faggots at Lenovo would put a real GPU in their thinkpad and not charge a premium for that look and mediocre specs.

Fuckers.

If you are willing to invest about ~800 to 1200 dollaroos in to the initial laptop and then some more for external hard drives and external cooling and external memory combs and external casing for external processor and motherboard with their own cooling with external monitor and external keyboard and external mouse and external power supply you can have a solid equivalent of ~100 dollaroo gaming desktop.

The P series have Quadro GPUs though.
They are workstations not gaming laptops.

Everyone knows that the real patrician laptop gaming experience is pulling sub-30 fps at minimum settings on your busted ass lenovo laptop from 2012.

Accept no substitutes.

The price is what it is almost completely because it’s a remake of the thinkpad. It’s like $400 extra just for that goddamn coat of paint. Fuck them my laptop is already black, I’ll just make a decal.

Thinkpads without GPUs have been $600-700 for a long time.
Only the ones with Quadro GPUs are $900+.

You are paying for durability and warranty rather than specs when it comes to thinkpads, which is what you want in a business laptop.

Any laptop under $1000 capable of running Wii U emulator? Better if it doesn't have gamer aesthetic. I won't even game on it that much other than Factorio and Magic Arena, but I really want to play XbX

Have sex

>What is an Uninterruptible Power Supply?
what kind of laptop you got user?

>Any laptop under $1000 capable of running...
No, you won't be running anything on under $1000 laptop you are better off with a tabled at that point. If you want to run something on a laptop then 2k and up is the starting point.

t.Once fell for the $800 laptop meme

i undervolted it and my temp hovers around 60-65c under load

I got an Acer Spin 5 for similar reasons, it's okay enough hardware wise to still run most games and it doesn't look like shit as gaming laptops do

Whenever you buy a laptop ask yourself if you would be okay paying the price if you had to replace it in 3 years, because there's a good chance you will have to. If you're okay spending 800 every 3 years go ahead and get a gaming laptop.

Attached: Untitled.png (824x624, 154K)

You are lucky if it lasts 3 years, most of them die in just under 2.

If you move around alot and rarely stay at home then yeah get it

Attached: 1461964770834.png (540x482, 190K)

Depends on the specs, not the price. Look up laptops you want or the hardware it uses and find benchmarks

Please do, we have shit ton of them in our store and all they do is take up space. Ask for Pekka and if I see you I give you 3 more for free.

Yeah, got an i7 with an 860 for 300 bucks and it runs everything, my desktop was collecting dust due to me being busy with work but now I can just play in my bed or when visiting my sister. Definitely worth it, I'm considering selling my desktop and getting a newer one with at least an 1060

The laptop in OP's pic is a $1000 laptop with a 2060 in it. It's more than enough for 1080p gaming.

if you like console tier fps and constant frame jumps then perhaps.

gaming laptops are definitely worth it if you travel/ go to school/go to lan parties and you have a lot of cash, they still have power draw and temperature issues but performance is much more comparable these days ever since modern desktop GPUs fit in laptops giving you full performance.

i have one, plays anything im interested in so works for me.

as an addendum to this post, don't buy dell, dell build quality is fucking ass, in the first few weeks it had a dead pixel that is still there since warranty didn't cover it, I also dropped it while inside my backpack like 2 feet and the plastic at the back part snapped, the touchpad is also maybe the worst i've ever used, very bad tracking and horrible giant non segmented left and right click zones that make everything take so much longer to do.