*just heard thunder*

*just heard thunder*
Yup, its about that time

Attached: 500_F_122269981_wzA3MyfuDAHy4sawYLC4TQUG8P8KZXBL.jpg (500x332, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apc.com/shop/us/en/categories/power/surge-protection-and-power-conditioning/surge-protection-devices/_/N-u9t8ll
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just plug into a surge protector you doublenigger

*invader joins my world*

Attached: 2017-03-21_0003-650x301.jpg (650x301, 30K)

just get house insurance

thunder can't hurt your computer stupid

yo do you live in hampton roads?

>worrying about power surges in 2010+9

Attached: 61dKvgqtRcL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 8K)

This, a million times this. How does someone even manage to not have a surge protector anyways? Nearly all modern extension cables have them built-in.

What's this? We don't have those in Europe

We do. They just look less surprised.

Stop lying

do americans really do this?

Yes you do, you baiting mong.

>We don't have those in Europe
no you're just a fucking idiot

that's my hometown, and I know exactly what you're talking about
when a storm comes through that's barely stronger than a drizzle the whole town goes black

>What's this? We don't have those in Europe
What you mean power?

how the fuck do you not keep all your electronics plugged into a surge protector?? I have 5 lying around in different areas of the house and I live alone

Am European and I do that. I hear thunder, I unplug everything.
Yeah, I'd rather prevent it.

Fucking kek

>lightning strike
>it fries my router and I had to get a new network card
It wasn't even related to power outlet...

low connection speed if the router is plugged in one of those is a meme or not? Cuz last year I had to change my router 2 times in a week thanks to thunders, have to unplug literally everything now.

*tink tink*

*ahem*

Fuck thunderstorms, fuck hurricanes, fuck moisture and most importantly FUCK power outages!

Attached: 1555081971204.jpg (800x528, 45K)

thunder has fried a tv, digibox and a modem of mine over the years
i'd rather not take the risk again

>surge protector mouthbreathers
Yes I will trust a 20 dollar piece of plastic to stop a thunder strike

no, I asked because it just started thundering
I rarely lose power in my city

Do american houses not have breaker panels?

Attached: 1551106604197.png (364x852, 131K)

I don't get it. Why would you need to unplug stuff in a storm?
>bait-kun forgets it's currently eurohour

do americans really not have electricity?

half of my house doesn't even have ground.

Were you born retarded or did something just smack your head really hard sometime between your birth and now?

For me, personally, it's because the internet is Amerocentric to the point that if someone casually mentions something which is supposed to be normal, but which I have never heard of, I just assume it's an American thing. I've been caught out a few times when it turns out they're also not American and it's just something their weird country does.

do americans really have electricity?

Electricity

Hey man how could Americans make this comic panel

Good thing I don't live in a house with 19th century electrical wiring so I don't have to worry about lightning.

Attached: 1524956392966.png (1052x860, 57K)

A breaker likely won't stop your shit from frying if you didn't have it plugged into some sort of surge protection.

move out of the village

technically yeah but it's so expensive that many of them forgo it and just rent microwaves at convenience stops to heat their food or borrow outlets at starbucks and mcdonalds to charge their phones. how they are all so buried in debt is beyond me

I do too.

Every house has breakers, but no in panel surge protectors.

You dipshits know little about lightning. I've had 2 direct hits on my property. Surge protectors can only do so much.

Attached: 24.png (250x369, 94K)

>hear thunder
>plug everything in
>raise lightning rod
>can finally power my rig for a few hours

I've never unplugged anything during a thunderstorm even stuff plugged directly into the wall when the power went out and nothing has ever happened to anything
what is this meme

>*click*
>.
>.
>.
>.
>BEEP BEEP
>.
>.
>.
>.
>BEEP BEEP
you forgot fuck brownouts also
love my UPS

>i-it lives! It lives! At last I can finish my fortress of over twenty dwarves!

*just heard someone invading*
Yup, it's about that time

Attached: 13208973467.jpg (700x467, 24K)

Attached: trolledsoftly.jpg (360x507, 33K)

apc.com/shop/us/en/categories/power/surge-protection-and-power-conditioning/surge-protection-devices/_/N-u9t8ll

Get learnt

Attached: 1554135013102.png (666x1000, 316K)

he he he

>average nvidia user

Attached: 1563597824061.jpg (640x640, 106K)

To expand upon this story, I am a Floridaman that lives in an area with less trees than normal.
Before Irma devastated the roof, lightning struck it. In the process, literally everything plugged in was fried. Thankfully we have warranties and insurance.
About 3 weeks ago, it struck my yard and fried the modem/cable boxes. The main OLED was crippled as well, but it's all fixed up.
As a precaution, unplug anything vital during storms.

Attached: Barry Smile.jpg (320x240, 37K)

you mean you don't D= in Europe?

Thank God I don't live where you live, it sounds exhausting

you need in home surge protection and put your thousand dollar TV on an UPS ffs

None of these people fucking get it, and unless it's happened to them, they won't believe it. I need major hardware to protect my shit because if I don't, it'll get taken out one day, period.

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU A THUNDERSTORM FUCKING FRIED MY ENTIRE COMPUTER 3 YEARS AGO AND I HAD TO BUY EVERYTHING FROM SCRATCH
IT EVEN FRIED THE FUCKING HARD DISKS, I LOST 3TBS OF FUCKING DATA
FUCK YOU FOR REMINDING ME FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: 1522346451673.png (300x300, 8K)

It's very unlikely but it's not a meme. I opened up a product at work the other day to do a failure evaluation and it was completely dead due to a large transient overvoltage event. Completely destroyed a current shunt resistor. Blew the top right off and you could see arcs in the substrate where the insulator broke down. A several diodes had holes in them. And most active circuitry had failed including several transistors a linear regulator and an op-amp. The TVS diode for input protection did did not handle the gross overload. Most likely cause is lightning.

These things do actually happen man. Anytime you leave stuff plugged in during a storm you're taking chances. At the very minimum make sure you have TVS diodes, MOVs, and fuses. Replace MOVs after each and every confirmed lightning strike. You can only rely on them to soak overvoltages once.

do americans?

Back up your shit

no

Attached: BBEUADP-2T.jpg (300x300, 24K)

what in the holy nigger fuck are you saying

This happens in my suburb in Scotland but it’s the internet that goes fucky when it rains.

Attached: 23532325235.jpg (500x500, 72K)

lol

Attached: 1561963178784 SOY.jpg (634x525, 33K)

>bong plugs
disgusting

>living in a boomerzone
I'm sorry.

I can't believe Americans do that

>he didn't secretly install lightning rods on his neighbor's property

thanks for the advice dude, I was wondering how my monitor tanked a lightning strike. I will open it up to check those components

Based 24 poster

Bong plugs are death traps. t. bong

Attached: UK_Plug_1__85945.1438866773.jpg (600x600, 27K)

Cry more, it's never happened to me. Maybe move out of Florida.

Too bad the good ones cost hundreds of dollars

You may or may not see damage on components. In my case the current shunt took a lot of the overload and was heavily damaged so that was pretty clear. The holes in the diodes were small and were easiest to see when looking under a microscope though you might be able to do it with a magnifying glass. The only real other indicator that suggested lightning is the fact that the damage was systemic. As you went through and measured various parts of the circuitry you figured out that each element was not doing the thing that it was designed. The voltage regulator was not properly working. A transistor that should have been off was short circuited, device pulling several watts of power when it should normally be pulling under 1W, etc.

Being alive is a death trap too. Who cares. You're literally dying right now dipshit

Further expanding on this, I'm also Floridian, but I live in an area with a lot of trees. For some reason, the coaxial cable running into my living room isn't properly grounded. Everything under my TV is plugged into a surge protecter, but it doesn't matter for the modem. I've gone through 4 cable modems and Mediacom claims they don't know how to fix it. Surge protectors alone aren't enough.

looks like you could murder someone with that thing
hit someone in the head very hard and you fucking scalp someone
SURRENDER THAT PLUG, NOW!

Do you people actually think that surge protectors protect against lightning strikes? How fucking American can one get?

We _ l _ in the UK

ITT: Natural Selection

;_;

I'm not in FL, I'm somewhere nicer, it's just the only real environmental problem I have to deal with, and I'll take it over anything else. Better than being in a real shithole like NJ or something.

This house is not even a decade old. It has built in surge protectors, and I have external strips for my PC/TVs.
It happened to me and I use surge protectors for literally everything.
This user gets it. There's more than plastic required protecting from close/direct strikes.

Attached: Bigby .png (715x885, 1.1M)

Power strips are not surge protectors, regardless of what the manufacturers say. Get something like this.

Attached: ups.jpg (586x718, 93K)

>Better than being in a real shithole like NJ or something.
I live here and it's no shithole, you southern faggot.

I had one of those. I say had for a reason because the lightning strike fried it.

Attached: Beast.jpg (319x321, 11K)

>lightning strike destroys my router
>PC was plugged into it
>only the NIC died.

I'm pissed but at the same time impressed at how well it took it.

That's what all Southfags say about the Northeast out of ignorance. It's pretty based up here. More expensive but who gives a shit?

The real reason we ban every other weapon is because we've already perfected warfare through our plugs

>House got hit by a lightningbolt direct
>Went through surgeprotector and killed both my motherboard and CPU
Aint easy being floridaman ill tell ya whut.

It only makes us stronger, user.

Attached: Dog eating bagel.jpg (1992x1121, 427K)

If there are /diy/ folks around, does it make any sense to have a house that runs on solar panels and batteries, and disconnect from the main during a thunderstorm?

Don't be a thug, hand in that plug.

Attached: 1356205886089.jpg (2448x3264, 1.53M)

It only protects so much.

I had mine plugged in and we had a storm and I think it hit a transformer or something big and blew it up.
I tried asking around and nobody would tell me what happened, just that services were "interrupted" for 6 months.

Not only did it fry my surge protector, but it fried my mobo, the camera charger plugged into the wall, but when I opened the wall socket, it had also sliced the screw or whatever it is thats inside and we had to replace all of the surrounding involved things.

Let go of the trigger, don't be a nigger

>didnt play the extra $5 for a protected extension
literally the same kind of turnip munching ameboid that buys unrated PSUs then complains when it fries their "high end" prebuilt pc

This.

Surge protectors don't protect against lightning strikes. At best, surge protectors protect against sudden power outages or small spikes.

Hear thunder. Shut down computer. Unplug power strip from wall.

Done.

Have kept all of my computers safe with this method for the past 17+ years.

>Have one of these at work for our sample plotting table
>Come in after a power outage or whenever it just feels like it
>BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1554485225789.gif (300x300, 656K)

>Hear thunder. Shut down computer. Unplug power strip from wall
I do the same, I've had some fairly near misses when it comes to lightning strikes
I'm not taking any chances.

I read this in his voice and now i can't stop reading it

pitter patter

I've kept my computer safe for the last 17+ years by doing nothing and keeping shit backed up. It's extremely unlikely unless you live in a place that has a lightning storm every week.

ABSOLUTELY BASED AND BATTERYPILLED

Shit that requires a PhD in EE to understand.

>tfw plugging in a faulty heater popped and ruined all of my outlets except one
>never bothered to get them fixed, went the lazy route and just bought a shitload of extension cables so one outlet is powering everything in the room
>every time I hear thunder I just gotta turn everything off and unplug a single outlet

Attached: 3Q2W3c7.jpg (2048x1432, 126K)

>one outlet is powering everything in the room
Enjoy your housefire.

Other than the PC everything else is drawing very little electricity, the strips aren't even warm let alone alarmingly hot.

Won't protect from lightning.

It's a surge protector not a mass shooting.

OBSESSED

Do Americans really not drink water from tap?

What the fuck?

You're right, over in Europe they just have huge wars killing many orders of magnitude more people than mass shootings ever did in the US.

Attached: Soyboy Wojak (26).jpg (1487x800, 145K)

Why are Americans such racist incels?

It's called a faucet. And no, I don't. I exclusively drink from water bottles but I'll use sink water for cooking.

Why do we still have region-exclusive plugs in 2019?

>exclusively drink from water bottles
post tits (male)

imagine stepping on that

>I exclusively drink from water bottles
oh sweatie...

>I exclusively drink from water bottles but I'll use sink water for cooking.
tits or gtfo

These are great though. I never had to deal with that problem in American tv shows of their two-pronged plugs getting yanked out of the socket by someone tripping over a cable or something. But yeah, stepping on one is horrible.

Americans actually drink from water bottles

hahahaha what a fucking clown world

>I exclusively drink from water bottles
imagine having to do this in a first world country. most people only do this when they travel to some 3rd world shit hole country. what a waste of plastic.

Those things are the closest you can get to a land mine that doesn't involve explosions.

>Just plug into a surge protector you doublenigger

Attached: (3).jpg (238x212, 6K)

It's out of convenience, not necessity.

Because people refuse to accept the brilliance of the bong setup. It's virtually impossible to be electrocuted because the longest prong is the ground, it's way sturdier than other plugs too.

Biggest problems are that it's worse than treading on Lego and that it's chunkier than a yuro plug so takes up more space.