Rare video games are being carefully preserved and archived

>Rare video games are being carefully preserved and archived

>Pinball machines are rarely digitized, we'll lose these pieces of history from major developers.

I'm just sad bros.

Attached: 4d248994e1245780133aad68a20a90563d4b68c5.jpg (676x650, 213K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/710990/KENDAMVR__Virtual_Reality_Kendama/
pinballnews.com/learn/japanesepinballs/index.html
pinballmap.com/
pinside.com/pinball/map
findapinball.com/en/
deadflip.com/tutorials/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-WQLGFMr97DnxeE1Rmi-wAwa-Vm7D-7i
youtube.com/watch?v=ci7gXjSLq9o&list=PL-WQLGFMr97CQpOQDEvRqAiSqcvSuK11h
pinballvideos.com/t
youtu.be/pTqHVAX7SqQ
web.archive.org/web/20180404162909/https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/3/21/14937540/history-of-big-bang-bar-pinball
ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4335
ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1397
youtube.com/watch?v=XJGULKrYrPE
youtube.com/watch?v=fCKDvjVzpNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=VKHcG1h0E10
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The machine in the pic is from Capcom. We'll never get to play it

>tfw Pinball Arcade lost the Bally/Williams rights
>A majority of their tables can't be played anymore
>Bally/Williams went to the inferior pinball sim
Licensing sucks

>inferior pinball sim

Really? I feel like the physics in Pinball FX 3 are great.

I mean, it's alright, but Pinball Arcade is more realistic. And doesn't have unnecessary CGI, and didn't censor scantily-clad women

Pinball Arcade fucking sucked. It has a game-breaking bug in Medieval Madness since day 1 and they never fixed it.

>And doesn't have unnecessary CGI,
You can disable those effects in FX3, on the fly even.

Regardless, when are other manufacturers going to be represented? I'd love to play some Capcom-made.

> Something you can just ctr+c ctrl+v to archive is more commonly archived than giant machines, some of which can be mechanical with hundreds of moving parts and require experts to maintain
this is the society we live in

Attached: 1519130002178.gif (1221x768, 699K)

O fuck really? Haven't played Pinball FX in years

I don't expect the physical machines to be preserved forever. But I am surprised that of the hundreds of types of pinball machines that have existed only a handful have been digitized for posterity.

Yeah, like in Fish Tales they added in a fucking boat that blocks the view of the entire upper area and half the bumpers, I turn that shit off every time.

>Rare video games are being carefully preserved and archived
>Kendama (better known as "cup and ball" for stupid westerners) are rarely digitized, we'll lose these pieces of history from major developers.

Attached: cup and ball.jpg (768x1024, 76K)

Wasn't there a pinball program with custom-made table support where people had made hundreds of tables for it?

store.steampowered.com/app/710990/KENDAMVR__Virtual_Reality_Kendama/

Anata was nibai baka.

PANCAKE TIIIME

Attached: 1488621878376.png (1536x864, 31K)

The tables were shit and not accurate.

>each table is riddled with glitches and scripted shots
>more realistic

Visual Pinball X.
It's a pain in the ass to set up but you can emulate a ridiculous number of tables with it.

Thanks bud

>but Pinball Arcade is more realistic
But this is patently untrue. Pinball Arcade doesn't even have ball spin and nudgeing puts FAR too much force on the ball to the point where you can substantially change its angle.
Besides, FX3 looks and sounds a lot better. Shame their original designs are lackluster and boring.

>tfw love pinball games but the only notable one that's come out in a while outside of stuff like Pinball Arcade (that lost pretty much every table worth caring about due to licensing issues) is that senran kagura one
>tfw would be willing to play it anyway since I'm not some faggot upset about anime titties but it just looks way too fucking barebones for what it costs

well OP pinballs are complex machines where as games, even arcade games, can be easily replicated and emulated in case their original hardware stops working
if only replicators were real

Attached: dont mind me, just pirating this martini.gif (476x352, 1.67M)

>Shame their original designs are lackluster and boring.

Rome, Sorcerer's Lair, and the Western one are pretty good. I love Bob's Burgers if you count that one too.

I'm going to buy that one if I can get it for like $10 way in the future. It's only got two tables but you can paddlesmack some tiddies and skin the ball like their panties so that's something.

Also check out pinmame

There were these amazing Japan-only pinball machines from sega in the 70s and 80s. They were really different and interesting. A lot of them are lost forever. There are a few Japanese collectors who have some of them.

Attached: Woman-Lib flyer.jpg (724x968, 190K)

if it was $10 I wouldn't be complaining yeah.

>Seran Kaguara looks like some shitty pinball game made for incels who think with their teeny weenies and pay 60 dollars just to smash a ball into a virtual girls le boobies
At least we got Demon Tilt, that looks like an actual good pinball game that doesnt rely on titties

Close up on the playfield. It has swinging targets that look like protest signs.
Here's an article that goes over some of the differences between japanese pinball machines and american ones. It's a great read.
pinballnews.com/learn/japanesepinballs/index.html

Attached: Woman_Lib playfield.jpg (1200x608, 216K)

How to find pinball and pinball tournaments in your area:
US, Canada, Australia, Japan, Finland, London
pinballmap.com/
Worldwide:
pinside.com/pinball/map
Europe:
findapinball.com/en/

Tournaments:
Depending on where you live, there may be a facebook group for fans in your area.

Pinball Simulators that will give you a free virtual pin or two as a sample:
Pinball Fx 3 (Sorcerer's Lair, Fish Tales)
Zaccaria (Time Machine)
Pinball Arcade (Mary Shelley's Frankenstein)
Stern Pinball Arcade (Also Frankenstein)
There's also Visual Pinball, which is a freeware pinball simulator.

How to become Good at Pinball (wholly optional):
deadflip.com/tutorials/ (techniques in .gif form)
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-WQLGFMr97DnxeE1Rmi-wAwa-Vm7D-7i

Individual machine tutorials:
youtube.com/watch?v=ci7gXjSLq9o&list=PL-WQLGFMr97CQpOQDEvRqAiSqcvSuK11h
pinballvideos.com/t

Attached: Woman-Lib backglass.jpg (1006x1003, 293K)

Actually the one I wanted to suggest is future pinball, it even has fanmade table like this metal slug one

youtu.be/pTqHVAX7SqQ

What's the difference between visual pinball and visual pinball X cause I've played visual pinball but I have no idea about visual pinball X

I got screwed out of a pinball table I regularly played because they shuffled around the DLC packs, so if I want to play it again I have to buy the DLC a second time. Fuck the Pinball FX devs.

The problem with rare pinball machines (like these Japanese ones) is that spare parts are much harder to get a hold of.

PS: The pinball FX 3 physics are way better than Pinball Arcade. I've never heard anyone claim otherwise until this thread.

Attached: Megaman flyer.jpg (850x1205, 402K)

Tales of Symphonia exists so kendama is archived forever

Best pinball machines I played as a kid:

-The Simpsons
-Terminator 2
-Addams Family

I have to wonder if this was worked on by Mitchell Corp, since they did a majority of shit like this for Capcom.

It always got me too, that they worked with Capcom when their biggest games (even as Takeru) were "spiritual successors" to Capcom games, by ex-Capcom staff.

>Pinball Arcade has the best physi....
>FX3 pinball has the best physic...

Attached: 1469242247_Timeshock Master of Time.jpg (902x1014, 249K)

It's called Airborne, and I've played it before. They're not even that rare, there were 1350 of them made. Plenty of owners and more than a couple of places to play them on location.

There are some pinball prototypes that were bought by 3rd parties and put into mass production. Big Bang Bar had 9 prototypes and then Gene Cunningham made 110 more of them. There are currently 9 Kingpin prototypes, but Circus Maximus Games is going to make more (unless they go bankrupt, which is always a possibility in pinball). There are currently 2 The Pinball Circus units, but Circus Maximus also has a plan to make more of them.

Someone will probably make more Big Bang Bar's at some point too. There's certainly demand. Here's a great article on Big Bang Bar. Gene Cunningham is a hero.
web.archive.org/web/20180404162909/https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/3/21/14937540/history-of-big-bang-bar-pinball

Attached: The Pinball Circus by Python Anghelo.jpg (400x544, 58K)

Good riddance, playing with balls is for boomers.

This looks like utter nightmare fuel yet incredibly awesome at the same time.

>even suggesting digitization matters
i would put digital tables above but in the same category as sports games. you are using an emulator for real life activities that have basically no bar for entry

Just for fun, I'll post some pictures of unproduced pinball prototypes. This here is Zingy Bingy from Capcom. RIP Python Anghelo.

Attached: Zingy Bingy full view.jpg (388x690, 83K)

ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4335

Attached: Total Recall Pinball Cabinet.jpg (800x536, 82K)

Krull
ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1397

Attached: Krull Pinball machine.jpg (417x650, 78K)

physical pinball machines shit on digital replicas every time

Here's Krull's lower playfield.

Attached: krull lower level playfield.jpg (480x640, 68K)

yeah no shit original hardware is better than emulation, but if you think it's annoying to have to keep a thousand consoles around with all their cartridges as it is imagine trying to do that for even five pinball tables. You need a dedicated room just for a small collection. And don't even say "oh I live near a place with some tables it's fine" they could always get sold off or destroyed or the place could just go under etc.

It's not about what's better it's just about preservation in general.

youtube.com/watch?v=XJGULKrYrPE

Attached: Total Recall Pinball Art.jpg (2500x3745, 1.96M)

Windows XP Space Cadet is the only pinball I've ever played. Pinball just never looked appealing at old arcades. If they were free sure but I wasn't going to pay to play pinball.

>tfw the only modern good Pinball engine has just a single table
At least it's one of the best fucking looking pre-rendered games I've ever played. Either case, Pinball in VR (or at least supporting it)would be the way to go to properly preserve tables digitally, but hell if devs can due to all the licensing bs.

Attached: Pinball.webm (1412x1080, 2.76M)

Wonder how long it takes to both program these tables, but also set them up for producing a couple thousand tables of. Many a late nights of someone going through timing tables to do flashing patterns across the 50+ some bulbs under the table surface for a variety of purposes or attract mode.

>tfw family owns a pinball machine
>tfw will probably never see it again once we sell the house
Feels bad man

The worst thing about pinball is that the physical versions just straight up aren't as much fun as a digitized version. For one thing you can do hazards and doodads that just aren't possible in a real table, and most importantly, the real life physics of a ball rolling down a table just aren't as much fun to play around with as in something like Space Cadet. The physics in that game feel great even though (or because) they're nothing like actual pinball.

well if you want to preserve pinball machines you gotta have access to design documents and factory blueprints which are locked behind 7 copyright laws in a nice office of completely irrevelant company - that is if they didn't throw them away

bruh just like get a warehouse or some shit.

Like yeah digital preservation is nice and all but im not gonna pay any attention to it because I just want to feel the vibrations of the machine as I smack that ball into space.

>For one thing you can do hazards and doodads that just aren't possible in a real table
This is the stuff that bores me in a lot of Pinball FX/Zen's tables though. For me it's the marriage of the laws of physics, and physical motors/bumpers/rollers/etc driving a 'game'. It's all real.

This site is for adults only.

s-shut up

pinballs peaked with this

Attached: getaway-pinball-machine.jpg (1200x1200, 66K)

That stoplight is ugly af.

Pinball is shit anyway

I played a lot of Sorcerer's Lair. It is pretty decent, but even it lacks in spectacle compared to real life tables with their significantly more varied light shows and sound design.

idk man, the spectacle you get just from managing to get multiball in games like Firepower or F-14 Tomcat blow any of the special effects Zen tables use out of the water. That and Zen tables just recycle mechanics used in real pins all the time and for the most part aren't THAT creative with their original designs. Bear with me, I'm a fan of Pinball FX and all that, but real pinball is still several factors more impressive than Zen's offerings.

A billiard hall right by my workplace has that one among several others and that one is one of my favorites: great amount of features and gimmicks without straying too much of the focus of pinball.

Black Knight 2000 is also a jam of mine. youtube.com/watch?v=fCKDvjVzpNQ

Attached: bk2k-pf.jpg (1383x1844, 392K)

One of these days I'll get a VR headset and build a PinSim. Wish I could own a real machine but arcade stuff costs the earth here in Aus.

I've actually been looking around for pinball games for the PS3. The disc versions have become incredibly expensive and rare.

Why is pre-rendered graphics so good friends?

I love pinball and buy the Pinball FX tables and the Pinball Arcade ones. But they're not the same as a real table, not even close.

I've got a soft spot for future pinball, but IMO the best example for original tables would be he-man. Hell, people even copied it and made it work in VP albeit without the DMD animations.

youtube.com/watch?v=VKHcG1h0E10

Quick what's the best pinball table

Uhhh... uhhh... Punchy the Clown!

SHIFT
GEARS