Is it the most underrated point and click of all time?

Or at the very least, the best hidden gem?
"im talking in the context of modern day, im nearly positive noone born from 1996-2001 even know about this game

Attached: The-Neverhood-Free-Download.jpg (384x466, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NXiTDsxLjQA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck off vinefag

Attached: 570376AD-E880-42F6-9E75-ED00EAE7469D.jpg (750x689, 86K)

Fuck the hall of records

This is good for what it was, haven’t played it in a long time. Be prepared for challenging puzzles without any guides. I remember the mouse and tile puzzle being tedious. Besides those I’d give this game a worthy playthrough.

Given that it's one of the most well-known and well-regarded point and click adventure games ever made, no.

You're confusing it with GAG, The impotent mystery.
A 1997 game, really obscure. Came on 2 CDs

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 35K)

>underrated
No, everyone sings it's praises

>hidden gem
It's pretty well known

That's not Stupid Invaders

Attached: StupidInvaders01.jpg (900x675, 79K)

you clearly didnt read the other part of my post, so ill say it again
"im talking in the context of modern day, im nearly positive noone born from 1996-2001 even know about this game
In other words, would the younger generation know or care about this game

Attached: ellipses.png (536x611, 120K)

skullmonkeys is better

No. Next question.

bait

BEE BOP BO

>"im talking in the context of modern day, im nearly positive noone born from 1996-2001 even know about this game
I don't fucking know.
That's so specific. People barely ever seek out games older than whenever they were twelve. I only found gems like Darklands through dumb luck.

>Is it the most underrated point and click of all time?
You asked whether it was underrated within the point & click genre, and the answer to that is no. Whether it's underrated as a game in general, then I guess so because point & clicks are extremely niche these days.

I was born in 1990 and I'm pretty sure I've spent more time playing games made before 2002 than after.

probably the most enjoyable game ive ever played
i replay it every year

Attached: nox.jpg (1024x768, 95K)

the puzzles really aren't all that challenging, at least compared to other adventure games, but I guess they've been ingrained in my mind since I was young. I remember struggling back then but I was like 7. The mouse puzzle is absolutely fucking bullshit though but that's more a process of agonizing trial and error, also helps to map it out on a piece of paper.

a lot of the puzzles are just knowing what the game means as a solution, like Bobby. I remember feeling like a fucking genius when I figured that one out as a kid. The pattern sequence you have to draw out from a different spot I remember confounding me for ages because one of them makes a glitchy noise.

Ive recently just gained an interest in pc games from the 90s before i was born. Talking to friends, they seem to care more about stuff they played as a kid or stuff that came out when they were born, its pretty interesting.
There was a youtuber i used to watch that talked about all kinds of strange, dark, weird point and clicks and other slightly obscure pc games. Unfortunately he just does some weird creative art shit now

>The mouse puzzle is absolutely fucking bullshit though but that's more a process of agonizing trial and error, also helps to map it out on a piece of paper.
Why would you need a map?
The mouse tells you where to go.

are you telling me that he sniffs towards the correct hole to go into? I can't believe I never knew this

Yeah he points right at the door he needs to go in. If he's pointing to more than one door, you put him between those doors, and if he's pointing back at the door he came through, you send him through it again.
Easy cheesy.

The claymation, soundtrack and worldbuilding were great bus as a game it was absolutely atrocious, even by adventure standards, with tons of padding and one-way transitions.

>would the younger generation know or care about this game
No. It's pacing is extremely slow even for it's time. The mock epic and biblical parody of the lore will sail over most peoples heads.
If you want a point and click with good puzzles and nice art, then pick something by Amanita Design.

*Klaymen walking through Hall of Records 10 hour ASMR*

As an adventure game is was kinda lame but the music, voice acting and overall bizarre aesthetic made it special

what was up with the dev again?
I heard he said or did some dumb shit

OP here, maybe a better way to phrase my question, or a more interesting concept altogether, is, would this game get the same recognition and critical acclaim as it did in 1996 if it released in the modern day?
Armikrog doesnt count because it sucks

That's not Toonstruck

Attached: tumblr_or96dqCTjZ1sgpajbo3_500[1].png (500x313, 145K)

KEEP ON WALKING

he's just a conservative evangelical, which is illegal now

>That robobro
;____;

He seems to be some traditional catholic and his views clashed hard with Twitter. He should have known better and not step into that shithole in the first place or keep it strictly game related

Clearly that's not Nuclear Titbit, written by one of the most influental people in modern surrealist literature since William S. Burroughs.

damn that's fucking cold, capicoli.

wasn't the entire storm over him just saying he viewed marriage as between a man and a woman (as per his religion) and that was the only statement, but it exploded because of offended twits who turned it into "this dude is a fag basher"?

this brings back vivid memories
>at grandparents
>this is the only game they have
>im very young and all this shit is super surreal
>never got past the water-flute puzzle

kino game

That started it I believe, but he kept digging himself into a hole and the Twitter horde fell upon him.

basically, but he does have a twitter where he makes religious/conservative statements now semi-regularly. He was heavily anti Trump last time I checked though.

Which game is harder of the two? The Neverhood, or Skullmonkeys?

yeah I saw the vinesauce stream too. Its not that great of a game. aside from the claymation, and the soundtrack, the puzzles are goddamned annoying.

Different games. Skullmonkeys is a kinda hard platformer, the last stage is total bullshit

Skullmonkeys since you can't walkthrough your way through that one.

This, also (skull)fuck Skullmonkeys.

>mouse puzzle
the mouse literally points to the door it needs to go to
how much of a brainlet are you

why did armikrog have to be so fucking bad?

Attached: 1385616974116.jpg (480x360, 18K)

Because it had way less of a budget.

Fans of the Neverhood grew, the world grew and so new fans were different from those who like thed neverhood, but the dev didn't change. He kept his ideas about design the same despite years upon years of development in that field.

What did people think of amikrog?

Attached: 75F87366-9FD9-420C-A1BD-FEF5FCB1F0EB.jpg (350x219, 22K)

my first refund

That, and Little Big Adventure 2, are the best hidden gems in my mind.

if the copy on myabandonware is legit i'll download it and try it out

GOAT game no one played coming through.
>youtube.com/watch?v=NXiTDsxLjQA

Attached: HEDZ.jpg (800x1016, 256K)

I hate it for breaking my dear friends heart. Dude was a massive fan of neverhood, it was the thing he truly held in his heart. And Amikrog helped turn him into a cynical bastard like me.

Shame it got cut back so much from its original concept where every head was supposed to have a different ability.

"is this the most underrated point and click of all time within this extremely specific demographic" is such a fucking asinine question

Nigga 80% of the puzzles and assets were reused and has twice as many long shuttle cart sections as the neverhood did. Where it lost the hall of records nonsense it made up for with pushing big poorly scaled furry cubes around and mandatory backtracking right at the end.

>barely any FMVs
>voice quality that sounds like it's been recorded inside a garbage can
>no custom mouse cursor
>no hotspots
>no response when doing something wrong
>almost no humor
>tons of asset reuse
>those fucking baby puzzles
>gamebreaking bugs out the ass
>completely illogical shit like having to talk to the squid elevator with your dog

In fact, the last one lead to one of my favorite Yea Forums and shitty game development moments ever:
Tons of people complained that talking to that thing with your dog didn't make a lick of sense but some guy immediately figured it out but not because he saw through the puzzle (hell, it's not even a puzzle) but because he heard the opening lyrics wrong thanks to the song's poor audio mixing so when they sang about the dog he misheard "sidekick" as "psychic".

I discovered it by accident this year, and I have to say the lore sounded really neat.

I played this game, never got to finish it cuz it scared me.

Attached: Dio!.jpg (190x242, 13K)

I had this game when I was still a toddler. It would always crash when I got to a certain point so I never got to finish it. It also scared the fuck out of me for some reason.

>im nearly positive noone born from 1996-2001 even know about this game
You can tell that about 95% of point and click games.

>im nearly positive noone born from 1996-2001 even know about this game
everyone who isn't a complete normalfag knows the fucking neverhood.

Attached: hylics mfw.png (239x200, 79K)

doesnt mean they care about it

I might look at it when Its on sale for 5 dollars again.

OP should have said that then.
Also, there's another neverhood thread in the catalog, and there was one yesterday. Is this another shitty viral marketing scheme like all the asmong/avgnfags are doing

a semipopular streamer streamed it a week ago

goddamit

Where are my "The beast within" niggas? You must replay with a game quote to be accepted.
>hackflesh, sounds appetizing