What is your favorite kind of atmosphere in vidya?

What is your favorite kind of atmosphere in vidya?

Attached: hidden forbidden.png (1920x1080, 2.46M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PUrU0gu2mN0
youtube.com/watch?v=jL0UoyFS7Ww
youtu.be/1cH8ZwL3A7Q
youtube.com/watch?v=xKjye-2kuwA
youtu.be/0NIid0q6TSI
youtube.com/watch?v=HFuGWvEISk0
youtube.com/watch?v=qvI9ww_5gPY
youtu.be/iroXKdSqSPo
youtube.com/watch?v=dOFC0OMALX4
youtube.com/watch?v=i1zl-HiOj5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=tMivjfxiHnE
youtube.com/watch?v=V9es3gtxHMU
youtu.be/YLUF9azU5cI
youtube.com/watch?v=Te7LiLCux2o
youtube.com/watch?v=aiHNB67ZF5U
youtube.com/watch?v=xnyOyiA7gbc
youtube.com/watch?v=bX85F85Lg0c
youtube.com/watch?v=vbE8JYB0SJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8znbKvF_Q34
youtube.com/watch?v=7U91hN0r32s
youtube.com/watch?v=rJ90ljliEzU
youtube.com/watch?v=P_YzOTZu6Ig
youtube.com/watch?v=VIo1Hzuw9t0
youtube.com/watch?v=rp5krDoflLI
youtube.com/watch?v=HuglT9h2jlc
youtube.com/watch?v=rBZkoMlr2UA
youtube.com/watch?v=Oxh6vvcCaO8
youtube.com/watch?v=ITIGTr2tkUA
youtu.be/UrfJgjQt1SY
youtu.be/tuHzagjqOLU
youtube.com/watch?v=sUezOLsrqIg
youtube.com/watch?v=AsIjyJvhR9A
youtube.com/watch?v=vF8rdHz2wZw
youtube.com/watch?v=w5QfA7ROX4Y
youtu.be/RQMCAdMadMY
youtube.com/watch?v=-xubrgTZXJI
youtu.be/WBXZWtTeGoI
youtube.com/watch?v=2RqGeEsXJWY
youtube.com/watch?v=aYUEgqeJsMI
youtube.com/watch?v=z_GOqhQFOX4
youtube.com/watch?v=ljyRWgdCsl8
youtube.com/watch?v=4gbOPSRTqzQ&t=27m43s
youtube.com/watch?v=1fZGkWD2avI
youtube.com/watch?v=W4CmQIkzMx8
youtube.com/watch?v=k3hfWg2kxpk
youtube.com/watch?v=UZ7X_NKKYZM
youtube.com/watch?v=7Nuz_w3xLKM
youtube.com/watch?v=BSzVl-9Er9w
youtube.com/watch?v=NFejhw-GkHk
youtu.be/s22XqGkuIFw
youtu.be/DF7POnIF0Rk
youtube.com/watch?v=aKKpqIw-D0A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

air

youtube.com/watch?v=PUrU0gu2mN0

Attached: 1520825685660.jpg (306x305, 26K)

.hack series was great

baroque gothic-horror
Nothing in existence will ever top Sotn's atmosphere

youtube.com/watch?v=jL0UoyFS7Ww

This shit right here.

Attached: halo-combat-evolved_19.jpg (1024x768, 121K)

the ost is so good

Attached: mw_sign.png (919x959, 836K)

youtu.be/1cH8ZwL3A7Q

Attached: 1555378776949.jpg (1201x727, 244K)

any hidden or otherworldly tier place that feels super enigmatic and mystifying to be in

Attached: ultimate comfyness.jpg (1200x675, 126K)

Alien worlds, backwater depressive slav lands, and fantastical worlds.

Attached: ace team zeno clash.jpg (1920x1080, 832K)

game looks cool
never heard of it before

Dark and bleak shit.
Bloodlines & Fallout 2 New Reno.

Attached: 1546288015052.png (635x661, 227K)

There are few, they have one thing in common impending doom. Without it there is no urgency.

youtube.com/watch?v=xKjye-2kuwA

Attached: 1550935533691.png (1280x720, 1.53M)

the one tuning me into a sissy slut.

COME WITH ME INTO THE TWILIGHT
ON A WINTER'S NIGHT FOR A WHILE

Attached: 1556600357165.jpg (800x600, 128K)

Zeno Clash
FPS Brawler
youtu.be/0NIid0q6TSI

Attached: ffIX-artbook083.jpg (794x675, 163K)

Fuck everything, I like it when it's cute and comfy.

I want a family, I want to raise my kids in a nice village with nice people, and do happy stuff for the rest of my life, without having to worry about all the ugly shit in the world.

Why can't I have that?

Attached: animal_crossing_poster.jpg (3240x1080, 1.7M)

I really liked Soul Sacrifice because the game seemed really dark and edge lord tier but when you actually do the side stories, most of them have genuinely happy endings, at worst it's bittersweet.
Too bad a sequel won't ever be made since it was only released on the Vita and I think the IP is owned by Sony since they published it and they don't have any interest in continuing it I think. Ditto with Freedom Wars.

Attached: 0600a8fad2afe22a6d8dcaff644c219a.jpg (1280x719, 277K)

the large castle atmosphere.
dark huge castles (or bright ones for all i care) are kinocore

Attached: 20181102010506_1.jpg (2560x1440, 497K)

youtube.com/watch?v=HFuGWvEISk0

Huge scale space horror, or other things that make me feel insignificant as a player/species.

Prey, especially the apex scene was good. The ships in Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2. Certain skyboxes in Homeworld. EVE can be unsettling. Dead Space, also. I only wish there were more games that took inspiration from how unsettling supermassive scale is.

Can you emulate it?

enchanted wet singing forest > the world

Attached: DARK SOULS™ II_ Scholar of the First Sin_20181003105713.jpg (3840x2160, 782K)

Wizard cities, there's always some crazy shit going on with them.

Attached: zeal.jpg.638x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg (638x445, 74K)

This town's finished

Attached: Great Bridge.png (1024x576, 1.1M)

youtube.com/watch?v=qvI9ww_5gPY
My favourite jj2 atmosphere.

Attached: jj2.jpg (1280x720, 118K)

Pre-patch shrine of amana not even once.

that chromatic aberration is sickening

The game never came to PC so you're going to have to settle for tiny resolutions and awful preset shading until the PS4 emulator comes out in like a decade

This is all I want from Elden Ring. Towering castles and dimly lit fortresses like Sens. Fuck forests, swamps, catacombs, all that shit. Just give me lots of giant labyrinths to get lost in.

Attached: CD.jpg (600x600, 35K)

youtu.be/iroXKdSqSPo

Attached: 1515609775768.jpg (1280x720, 111K)

The gothic atmosphere of Assassin's Creed 2 is very relaxing.

the atmosphere from the thief trilogy
youtube.com/watch?v=dOFC0OMALX4
youtube.com/watch?v=i1zl-HiOj5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=tMivjfxiHnE
i have yet to find a game that makes me feel the same way these games did aside from arx fatalis

Attached: 1564857155204.png (1500x1386, 2.77M)

Oppressive and visceral. Think Valley of Defilement

>Arx Fata...
>checks spoiler
>fuc

patrician taste

Arx Fatalis, nigga.

Attached: Arx Fatalis.webm (720x404, 2.97M)

bug gothic

Attached: queensgardens.jpg (2880x1620, 717K)

Bloodlines is great.
You should probably look into the Legacy of Kain series, Blood Omen 2 in particular.

Attached: 640full-legacy-of-kain_-blood-omen-2-screenshot.jpg (640x448, 35K)

I need better controller for this game, Xbox 360 dpad suck dick.

Where do I start with LoK?

youtube.com/watch?v=V9es3gtxHMU
No game has ever topped the Witcher 1 in terms of atmosphere for me, though honourable mention to Stalker SoC

Attached: jDVfVz.png (1920x1080, 2.86M)

I got the same feeling on KotOR 1's Dantooine.
Then again in Skellige on W3
youtu.be/YLUF9azU5cI

>Xbox 360 dpad
You're not using the analog stick?

one where the music gets more complex and layered the further you traverse in the level. I don't know what that is called exactly but you might know what I'm talking about

fuck gotta play it now
ive been postponing it ever since i got to the swamp

Attached: we live in a society.jpg (210x240, 10K)

sci-fi apocalypse

Attached: 1475672712437.jpg (960x500, 51K)

I can see why you'd say that, but I always found Dantooine pretty boring with some dodgy pacing

Witcher 1 is a love/hate game, I played it when it came out in 2007 and dropped it a few times during the first chapter. Eventually managed to complete it over the course of a few months and it's still one of my favourite games of all time.
It definitely picks up during that chapter with the Swamp though, most people get hooked towards the end of that chapter.
A lot of people say chapter 4 is the best, but I actually really liked the swamp part and the investigation you do during that chapter.
Would definitely recommend finishing it if you can though, the plot is really good.

Name three (3) games with this aesthetic.

fallout 1
fallout 2
fallout nv

Nier
Tiberian Sun
Fallout

Super Metroid's

Attached: super metroid.jpg (1440x900, 320K)

.hack is such an incredibly comfy series
I could replay them over and over.

Blood Omen 1. It's great, and arguably has the most fun gameplay.
Can't go wrong with it at all, though pretty much all of the games have great atmosphere.
I should re-play Blood Omen 2, though...
Here's a SR2 screenshot in the meantime.

If you decide to start with Soul Reaver 1 instead, emulate it.
The PC version itself has bugged music (which was supposed to be dynamic and changes based on whether or not you're in the spectral or material dimensions, and it also changes based on combat situations), so I'd recommend either either the PS1 version or the Dreamcast one. Dreamcast version as some nicer looking textures, I guess.

Lots of things about Witcher 1 are jank-as-fuck, but it's still something I'd consider playing.
I actually haven't, which is funny. I should though, because I can't get enough of white-haired swordsmen.

Attached: 23668-legacy-of-kain-soul-reaver-2-windows-screenshot-in-fornt-of.jpg (1024x768, 133K)

>Nier
You mean Automata?
I wouldn't say Replicant was really sci-fi at all other than the opening which has some ruined modern buildings in the background.
It's definitely fantasy over sci-fi

Shame this one isn't on official soundtrack. Thanks for linking it, user, that stirred some memories.

Also this track and atmosphere are top notch.
youtube.com/watch?v=Te7LiLCux2o

I unironically like automatas atmosphere, dawdling around the dead ruins of humanities desolate cities without really knowing why they were built. Primordia had a similar atmosphere too.

Ehhh i've never really bought into the argument that Witcher 1 is janky, but maybe that's because I played it pre-enhanced edition when it came out, and back then it actually was janky.
The combat is different to most games, but actually very satisfying imo - there's no other game I can name that does swordfighting against groups of enemies as well as Witcher 1.
Playing it on hard doesn't make it super difficult, but it does make you have to use the alchemy system properly which adds a lot of depth to the gameplay.
But yeah, other than some wooden animations and character models, I wouldn't really say there is anything janky about it imo, but I can understand why people who haven't really played it would think it is.

youtube.com/watch?v=aiHNB67ZF5U
The lakeside night theme is great as well and feels completely different to the tone of the rest of the game.
It's weird that neither made it into the soundtrack, as I feel that other than Seawall, Peaceful Moments, and River of Life, they're the best tracks.

Attached: Murky Waters.jpg (1920x1080, 294K)

I do but pogo is inconsistent as fuck, with keyboard is better but it's unconfortable with layout i use.

This, but I'm not sure what the aesthetic/atmosphere is called. Does anyone know?

It's like steampunk but with turn of the twentieth century instead

Attached: bioshock-infinite.jpg (1920x1080, 440K)

My impressions are based on half-asleep, drunken sessions with watching a friend play through the game. It was mainly the animations that seemed janky, and some managed to be outright hilarious. I'll save my *real* first impressions for when I actually get to dive into the game myself.

Oppressive. Like Dark Souls, STALKER, or Dead Space

Steampunk

Urban decay combined with authoritarian sci-fi architecture is absolutely kino, any other games besides half-life and dishonored with this?

Attached: $.jpg (1920x1080, 815K)

I think it's steampunk

fallout

poop and maybe a little bit of pee

Litebright neon future shit

Attached: 3145438041528879299gol1.gif (645x506, 1.34M)

Attached: hexen-ii_29.jpg (640x480, 65K)

>472820125

Attached: diablo-2-pc-100-original-blizzard-key-D_NQ_NP_836535-MLB29078111973_122018-F.jpg (800x600, 164K)

this man is a good man.

Attached: ds_beta_070.jpg (1024x768, 187K)

ditch the steampunk and just go Edwardian.

personally i love me some dieselpunk.
kino as shit, but woefully underused. at least it's not as overexposed as steampunk.

Slav atmosphere.

Attached: MetroExodus 2019-03-04 23-36-42-62.jpg (1920x1080, 560K)

Space with weird physics

Attached: redimensionar2.jpg (722x400, 26K)

Forest of Pain, home.

Attached: ForestofPain.jpg (800x581, 93K)

Water world with small settlements of cities and towns, i'm terrified of large open water so i guess i like the idea of being on a safe cozy little area surrounded by water

Attached: 207107-hillys.jpg (1024x586, 43K)

Kingdom Cum: Deliverance is TrueSlav™

Attached: s1-dd0465843bc6d6836dd6669ef2b53d77.jpg (1920x1080, 635K)

The Witcher 3 was comfy aftbh

Blue sky, grassy green grass. Trees. Wood, flowers. I aint even gay

>snow or thunderstorms
>comfortable hub/downtime area
>cool architecture and structures that look like natural installments
>glowing light from fire or other sources
>nighttime
>nature and some ambient noise
>paranormal feel to the land
>somber feel is usually perfectly fine
Majora's Mask is great, there's even an alien/cryptid sidequest. Games with a single pervasive theme like cowboys, pirates, or historical Japan tend to be nice too.

Attached: 15747g1.jpg (618x900, 187K)

Gothic especially medieval shit

Witcher 3 was more of a western european medieval/fantasy.

Anything that looks literally trash, like Fallout, GTA or Deus Ex dirty streets.

Find a unique suburban town without copypasted neighborhoods. Also with interesting locations close enough to walk to like a park or cafe. Talk to neighbors and you’re set
You don’t want to play animal crossing you want to live animal crossing

Huge dark and dirty futuristic cities with bleak sunlight or at night. So far EYE and maybe Omikron are the only games that have scratched that itch for me.

Also, download the Nextdoor app and buy and sell furniture with people in your town, you can treat doing favors for them like mowing their lawn like sidequests you do in your off time

>that music
So fucking good. No game has managed to hit that sense of far-off sunset wonder besides maybe the old Spyros and their fanciful skyboxes.
Actually, I did like that Rime game for similar reasons, but that felt more like mid-day bleach white outcrop. We need more late coastal chill games in general.

Attached: 007 Reverse cover illustration for YKK vol.01.png (1109x1500, 2.82M)

well you want some variance tho. Having to wade thorugh forests and climb hills./mountains to get to some remote castle would be nice. Drive the highways in Austria and you'll see castles in the distance. It's so kino

Attached: Hochosterwitz_Castle.jpg (810x539, 88K)

uhm, forests are kino.

I love the 90s semi-futuristic aesthetics youtube.com/watch?v=xnyOyiA7gbc

Farcry blood Dragon style

T A F F E R
B
O
Y

gritty gothic streets and spires, dirty smoke, and fire sets a pretty cool tone

Nighttime Yharnam best Yharnam, imo.

Attached: Old Yharnam.png (1920x1080, 2.95M)

Traversing abandoned habitations, ancient, old, modern, futuristic all are fine by me.

As long as the geometry and architecture are reasonably sensible, it will hit the right spot for me.
Dark Souls 1 comes very close to this.

Amazing how much atmosphere they were able to create with such limited tech

I first played it when I was 3-4. The mind of a child and the game's great atmosphere allowed me to have the most immersive experience I've ever had with any medium. It felt like I was on zebes. Pretty comfy in a really spooky way.

>Blonde
>Futuristic

Attached: 1b8990e741fbde64e564861e7930a37f.png (297x294, 134K)

Not many games I know of that do it, but for me I love descending into the depths having started outside on the surface, and basically completely losing track of how far you have travelled downward.
Pic related is from VTMB - people shit on the Hollywood Sewers level, but it really scratched my itch for that. Spending a few hours getting deeper and deeper and encountering more and more unsettling enemies felt like descending into hell. Then you drop down this giant pipe in the pic and find yourself in the Nosferatu town - just felt really surreal at that point.

Only other games I can think of that gave me that feeling were the Penumbra series, and Underhell mod for HL2

Attached: 51512.jpg (1920x1080, 500K)

I am an absolute sucker for games with a melancholy feel.

E.Y.E

Bioshock/SOMA. Also post-apocalyptic games

Attached: 1563857151390.png (495x446, 306K)

based

Try INFRA. It's a game about repairing industrial complexes. You start on the surface but soon after you'll realize you haven't seen the sun for god knows how many hours. And even if you get to the surface, the game likes to tease the player by showing the sky and nearby city but also having all escape routes to the outside cut out.

Attached: infra 2019-02-22 19-21-56-90.png (1920x1080, 3.97M)

Literally the only good thing about EYE is the art direction, it feels a bit like playing the video game equivalent of a miscarriage

Dark contemporary urban.

Attached: Vampire - The Masquerade - Bloodlines.jpg (3200x1800, 574K)

That looks and sounds up my street thanks, is it a walking simulator?
Won't put me off if it is, just curious what the gameplay is

nice choice

?

Another example.

Attached: 290174776.jpg (720x405, 41K)

The skybox in Chinatown captured that feeling best imo

Attached: tumblr_pt6ia2M0vI1yor1c9o2_r1_640.gif (640x360, 2.8M)

Go have sex then whitebro

any humongous game really

Attached: 150515-pajama-sam-s-sockworks-windows-screenshot-intro-pajama-sam.png (640x480, 65K)

Maybe if you're a Jian
>nice ambient OST
>every weapon feels powerful except maybe the BK13 but you get two of them and the GCTG .222 which is shit
>tons of enemies to use said weapons on
>neat levels that can be played through as quickly as your cyberlegs can carry you
>god-tier PvP provided your IQ is above room temperature
>god-tier story provided your IQ is above room temperature
>the best source of vidya gaem memes

Attached: get outta that uh jian outfit.jpg (428x428, 118K)

Yes, it's a walking sim with some puzzle solving and political/conspiracy plot. No enemies, only you with your flashlight and camera.

Attached: infra 2019-02-27 18-47-56-41.png (1920x1080, 3.15M)

>That atmosphere of surviving in a gigantic, enclosed man-made structure which has its own crazy little world going on inside it. the feeling that the whole thing is alive and breathing and it could swallow you up at any time. mainly thinking of shit like Prey or BioShock

>That spaced-out, surreal, yet cold and lowkey vibe like Yume Nikki or Moonside from Earthbound

Great choices

Attached: 1538334144397.jpg (1921x3132, 2.46M)

Attached: e2m2_2.jpg (640x480, 30K)

>god-tier story
It literally barely has a story

not him, but the story is very unique and fits very well within how video games work
in other words, it's ludo

Attached: 1562310328785.jpg (900x1164, 355K)

Games that play like dreams. Silent Hill 1 is basically a David Lynch film. Harry's spaced out dialogue, the constant transitioning around locations because of the town, and the whole atmosphere make it feel like a trip. Afraid of Monsters is pretty dreamy in a nightmare kind of way. Resi 1's retard tier voiceacting unironically improves the game because it makes it feel like a whack ass dream. Wish developers would tap into dreaminess more. Games used to at least have dream levels sometimes which where dope

Have you ever played Killer7?

Try Flower, Sun and Rain. Main character has to live the same day for 15 times.

Without saying too much, you should probably play The Silver Case before FSR.

this man here is my nigga
also gmod has something special

Attached: 1546848945585.jpg (1600x900, 231K)

When Halo 2 came out, I hadn't played 1 and I was playing multiplayer with my friend before playing the story, and I was really confused as to what I was looking at. Spent a good minute trying to figure it out.

TSC has none of the dreaminess that user was talking about. But yes, The Silver Case is pretty much mandatory if someone wants to understand Flower, Sun and Rain.

Yeah, I played through a bit of it, but I kind of just stopped playing it after a bit. I think the controls and the blood mechanic stuff didn't click with me initially but I'm definitely looking to try the game again pretty soon. I just have to wrap my head around the mechanics; i've been interested in hearing the story of that game.
No I haven't, I'll check it out.

You can sum up the story in about one paragraph, it's really not as clever as you think it is.
You also have to play the whole game 3 times through to even unlock most of the story

Horror. Specifically, I love haunted forests and mansions.

Attached: ocean house.jpg (1920x1080, 117K)

>You can sum up the story in about one paragraph,
You know you could do that with any story ever told, right?

Abandoned or run down places.

Attached: Joker Hyena.jpg (1920x1080, 376K)

Otherworldly isolation/small frontier settlement

It's hard to describe but I get the same comfy feeling from Monster Hunter villages as I do from Port Hanshan and Feros in Mass Effect.

youtube.com/watch?v=bX85F85Lg0c
youtube.com/watch?v=vbE8JYB0SJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8znbKvF_Q34
youtube.com/watch?v=7U91hN0r32s
youtube.com/watch?v=rJ90ljliEzU

Attached: Romance Subplot Gives Gameplay Buffs.jpg (495x462, 16K)

Pretty much everything from from. They have a way of world making that I love to get lost into.
Super metroid and Prey early game have that slightly spooky vibe, almost total isolation, it strongly encourages your desire to discover the world.
Diablo 2,act 2. Loved exploring the tombs.
Skellige from Witcher 3 is probably my fav map in any videogame. You can almost feel the cold in your face, and every small settlement offering some shelter to warm you with some heavy stew and old whisky. At times I found myself just exploring the map just to enjoy the view.
We have storyfags and gameplayfags, but not nearly enough atmosphere fags. It's definitely one of the things that makes a game and adds many hours of gameplay for me.

>Fromsoft

Not all their games, but DS1 specifically also is in my weird category of atmospheres I like Especially the mossy looking early game areas and DLC.

If you mean Prey 2017, then that game had fantastic atmosphere. The sound design just completes it. The sounds of debris colliding with the station or the Nightmare's screams are just great.

Anything surreal/dreamlike, which is present in a variety of settings, which don't necessarily all have the same kind of atmosphere as each other.
For example I would say Chrono Cross, Silent Hill, and SotC are all dreamlike, however the atmosphere of CC is also more fantastical, whereas those of SotC and SH are more mysterious.
There's some overlap between all these things, and it's highly subjective.

It's crazy how well Team Silent achieved that Lynchian quality to the dialogue. They truly nailed it. Actually I don't know how much credit the localization term deserves, cause I haven't played the game with Japanese dialogue and wouldn't be able to judge it anyway - but nevertheless.

yep one person can singlehandedly repopulate a race

I feel like it was probably just half assed phoned in voice acting and translation that accidentally managed to mix really well with the vibe of the game.

Yeah fair play.

Absolute madness, world falling apart and eating itself. Rules of everything shattering and all sorts of shit encroaching upon reality that used to make sense. Final stages of Pathologic and Drakengard would be best examples.

>that Lynchian quality to the dialogue
You mean stilted and bad?

.hack has the best brown girls in vidya

Attached: 1564358999932.jpg (1200x1200, 596K)

what's that game on the ps3 that had some hilariously bad cutscenes/VA? It could be Heavy Rain but im not sure. It was a cutscene wiith a few cops in some (snack)bar and they have a really awkward dialogue.

Souls games have already been mentioned here but I still think bonfires were genius. None of the other games did them as well as 1, and I have trouble thinking of a better case of gameplay and setting/atmosphere backing each other up so well.

Attached: 1420708315714.jpg (986x1000, 703K)

Looks like Eminem's trailer in 8 mile. Looks absolutely nothing like slav shit

Attached: pixeljunk.webm (1280x720, 2.88M)

youtube.com/watch?v=P_YzOTZu6Ig

youtube.com/watch?v=VIo1Hzuw9t0

I like those dreamy adventure feels where it's just you, your sword, and your sword against world on a quest to protect the greater good.

Attached: Rogue_Galaxy_graphics.jpg (384x216, 40K)

Deadly Premonition?

yes lol
youtube.com/watch?v=rp5krDoflLI

Chapter 4 is almost impossible to beat in terms of atmosphere.

It all starts off so cheerful, but then slowly trickles down into despair. All the while the same music plays. It sounded happy at first, but now it just makes you sad.

Absolutely perfect.

Office interiors, the more stuff the better

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1500x938, 163K)

What the fuck is wrong with your character's proportions?

shit souls 3

seems like he's pointing up which moves your other arm back and looks weird in that perspective

Attached: 20190804002912_1.jpg (2016x2063, 818K)

Based babyleg with sub-room temperature IQ

I mean, you're not wrong about Heavy Rain either.

>tfw you beat your first doppelganger
youtube.com/watch?v=HuglT9h2jlc
damn that hurts

Attached: 1544612640458.jpg (1000x1455, 373K)

my top favorite game

MSAA + nearest neighbor best combo

Sci-fantasy Western.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 67K)

Homefront: The Revolution is actually pretty good at that. You gotta deal with the main villains being North Koreans nicknamed the NORKS though.

Am i imagining things or are these similar as fuck youtube.com/watch?v=rBZkoMlr2UA

The darker & edgier the better.
Not being ironic, I mean this in earnest.

>Fantastical but comfortable
youtube.com/watch?v=Oxh6vvcCaO8
>Horrific and ominous
youtube.com/watch?v=ITIGTr2tkUA

I like atmosphere that try to portray something. It doesn't really matter what. As long as there's a vision and it's not by the numbers.

this atmosphere

Attached: 1555887993754.jpg (2495x1615, 2.31M)

i always liked bleak, darker depressing games
pathologic 2 probably does that the best out of any game ive played, the atmosphere is so real to me

Attached: dread.jpg (1920x1080, 313K)

Victorian by a long shot.
But Gothic is pretty good too.
Maybe throw in a bit of feudal Japan or Ancient Rome.

Kenshi
Nier
Underrail

underrated

What
This user said, Symphony was top comfy and spooky.

Attached: this is a trap if i ever saw one.png (1920x1080, 3.72M)

honestly, it's what got me into the game in the first place. something about a safe little bivouac helps to reinforce a feeling of adventure.

fucking based. When is 3? ACE have said they're working on three games rn and they just released the first of those.

youtu.be/UrfJgjQt1SY

There was this really great game where you play like a german barmaid or something and it had the comfiest ost ever. I wish I could remember the name.

Attached: file.png (1680x1050, 3.35M)

I loved the environmental design of 2 but man the switch to unreal really did a number on the game feel, especially the combat. Plus for some reason they made the melee sound effects really limp, whereas the first game nails that overly loud kung fu movie sound design for the combat sfx

Games that use traditional gothic horror elements, and Bloodborne does this in spades.
Yahar'gul is fucking brilliant, btw.
youtu.be/tuHzagjqOLU

Attached: 70925057_p9.jpg (1748x2480, 3.83M)

youtube.com/watch?v=sUezOLsrqIg

megastructures

Attached: 2448901-0002 (1).jpg (1920x1080, 220K)

comfy medieval fantasy and bleak but human cyberpunk/sci-fi

something about large structures in even larger voids is really relaxing to me
reminds me of the last level from Amid Evil
youtube.com/watch?v=AsIjyJvhR9A

I guess you'd call that progressive

youtube.com/watch?v=vF8rdHz2wZw

Attached: DMCsketch.jpg (747x837, 237K)

Just the first second of that track is enough to almost put me into the game and remember it all

The nexus from Demons Souls and the general feel of Twilight Princess. This gothic, dark and yet dreamy scenery is great.

Attached: demons-souls-maiden-in-black.jpg (1280x720, 119K)

I love .Hack but it made no sensethat these setpieces existed for people to talk in for imortant scenes when it would have been easier to string together some random words on a abandoned server to ward off eavesdroppers.

No, but two can.

youtube.com/watch?v=w5QfA7ROX4Y

Can't get a pic at the moment, so have a vid.

Tropical source maps.
I genuinely have yet to find a video game as gorgeous as koth_aurora_mansion.

Forgot my image.

Attached: 1122865688_preview_20170825214721_1.jpg (1920x1080, 276K)

I can't describe it but Ocarina of Time. The story is so pastiche the twist seems almost Disney formulaic as notScar turns Hyrule into a wastland...then you go into the field and find out that Ganondorf didn;t really change anything and it was just your childlike wonder masking a already fucked up place.

Nothing encapsulates this better than the well. You go into the well to confront whatever unleashed the monster down there. YOu enter it expecting to find a cave or shrine only to jump down a corridor into a area caked in blood and filled with invisible walls meant to keep out prying eyes. This isn't some made up lore in a book, this is the devs showing you the secret the royal family never wanted anyone to see. The same goes for the reason why the Kokiri live in peace in their happy forest, because nobody who enters ever lives to tell about it.

It's almost embarrasing how much Aonuma gutted this series.

Attached: bottomofthewell2.jpg (640x400, 28K)

Ultra-Ancient Earth.

Attached: 20180220201357_1-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 60K)

What was the actual deal with the well?

sounds like bullshit nerds made up to make their children's game seem edgier

If you weren't a zoomie then you wouldn't have to go off what it sounds like and instead have experienced it first hand with the rest of us.

I played that game and never got the impression that you describe, because it's total bullshit

Spooky run-down spaceships like alien isolation or dead space

Attached: Usg_ishimura_full_profile.jpg (1280x720, 74K)

No you didn't, it's in plain text halfway through the god damned game.

prey?

Quote it.

kino

Attached: 5252-1-zoom.jpg (640x480, 122K)

Dreary. Rainy. Moody.

Tell me of a story never ever told in the paaaaast!

Take me back to the paaast!
Where my yeaaarnings were borrrrn!
The key, to open the door, is in, your haaand
Now fly me theeeeere

based stalkan

Still need to get around to finishing Kiwami 2 sometime
And Judgement

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 3.01M)

Attached: updatedCringe.png (500x495, 468K)

Huge networks of caves with different biomes

Attached: Undermountain-Profile.jpg (2000x2588, 1.04M)

What other games are told like documentaries?

Attached: mU5BOZO.jpg (1920x1080, 724K)

What game

funee

You need to be 18+ to post here.

>Atmosphere thread
>Talk about atmosphere

Gee wizz

Your fanfiction is what made the post cringe

god i can taste, hear, and smell these

That looks like a fun module. HotU didn't do it justice.

Bleak

*DING*

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 114K)

Dieselpunkish

Oh shit nigga I just started playing .hack//GU for the first time since I was 16. I loved that place. I cant wait to get to it again.

I love cozy assed JRPG and fantasy towns and forests that remind me of the Shire or a fairytale or whatever.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 161K)

later summer/fall atmosphere, with sun still shining but it's cold outside, with the wind and trees loosing leafs, ultimate comfy for me

Attached: 1355935315_black_xbox_06.jpg (1024x768, 90K)

youtu.be/RQMCAdMadMY

youtube.com/watch?v=-xubrgTZXJI

Part three of a three-part volume by Arae Lorehunter about the history of Ascalon's capital...

Charr builders replaced the crumbling stones of the human capital with strong iron and renamed it the Black Citadel. Some of the pitiable stone architecture can still be seen south of the Bane in the Black Citadel. The Imperator has left the ruins there as a reminder to all. Charr society has flourished and taken root in the land that once was called Ascalon. We have returned home

youtu.be/WBXZWtTeGoI
Lovecraftian horror atmosphere is best atmosphere

Anything that is grounded to earth. Like RDR2, with moving clouds, occasional fog, and loud thunder when it rains. Or when the environment is almost fully destructable, like Just Cause 3.

This particular image looks like KF-Nuked from Killing Floor 2

really chill track, thanks for sharing

Second
What that guy said, it's like those calm moments in HL2 when you just explore and solve puzzles

they look cool on images, but are they actually interesting to explore? I think not

Slums especially when it's raining.
I love Freeside in New Vegas.

Attached: Conceptart-thestrip-B.jpg (1024x623, 169K)

That's kind of sad

Depends. It worked pretty well in Gravity Rush.

youtube.com/watch?v=2RqGeEsXJWY

Attached: 1550230707982.png (621x416, 381K)

>wouldn't say Replicant was really sci-fi at all other than the opening which has some ruined modern buildings in the background.
That wasn't sci-fi at all it was just a run-down city in 2049 covered in what you think at the time is snow.

>tfw adore christmas/toy levels

youtube.com/watch?v=aYUEgqeJsMI

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 224K)

>then you go into the field and find out that Ganondorf didn;t really change anything and it was just your childlike wonder masking a already fucked up place.
>proceeds to list the only messed up area in the child time as proof of all of Hyrule being completely fucked up
The market is a pile of rubble full of redeads, Hyrule field is full of great poes and has a sinister haze about it, the forest is now cursed, Zora's Domain is frozen solid, Jabu-Jabu is probably dead, Lake Hylia has dried up, Dorf got a dragon to eat half of the Gorons and Hyrule Castle has been replaced with an evil warlock's tower suspended over a pit of lava.
Ganondorf absolutely did change the world for the worse and a couple of sinister instances before you skip seven years don't change that fact.

What's the best way to describe this kind of music? Not simply atmospheric. A lot of Jap stuff from the mid to late nineties sounded like this and I've already really dug it.

Desolate places that hold a mystery which you can explore at your own pace
Examples:
The Glow from Fallout 1, most vaults in 1-2 for that matter

Attached: You-Are-Here.jpg (1595x942, 498K)

Max Paynes snowy dirty New York.

The bloodborne kind, Victorian gothic with a sprinkle of ayy lmao.

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

have you tried Alan Wake?

steampunk=modern mixed with Victorian era usually, or renaissance, or even medieval (like Thief)
Dieselpunk=modern mixed with WW1/WW2 era

>modern
by which you mean crude automation i assume

probably this shit
youtube.com/watch?v=z_GOqhQFOX4

Attached: 7439.jpg (1024x768, 140K)

A shame that slightly archaic games like the first witcher cannot come out today. It really had that SOMETHING, you know? 2 and 3 are great too, but their atmosphere just doesn't match up to the first one.

>nobody commented on this
Hexen and Hexen 2 have atmosphere I can fucking feel in my bones.

FEAR's offices are one of my favourites.

Steampunk is basically late 1800s with technology too advanced for that era.

Dieselpunk is basically early 1900s with technology too advanced for that era.

What game?

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor.

Haven't encountered a game quite like it, hence it's one of its kind, at least, from my standpoint, hence I just named it.

youtube.com/watch?v=ljyRWgdCsl8

Attached: maxresdefault (4).jpg (1280x720, 299K)

chill and comfiness
so far the games that made me absolutely chill were The Witcher 1, Bully, Far Cry 3, and Risen 2: Dark Waters
Murky Waters was probably the comfiest chapter in TW1, while cruising and looking for trouble in the school building in Bully was also neat
FC3 and Risen 2 had these forests and jungles which were extra comfy even though they were usually filled with various wild predators
youtube.com/watch?v=4gbOPSRTqzQ&t=27m43s
also honorable mention is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, it's music is probably the comfiest I've heard in vidya so far
youtube.com/watch?v=1fZGkWD2avI

Attached: 15269336.jpg (385x385, 59K)

My boy, I lived the entire Big Shell. Seeing the sunset and everything that was going on at this point, it felt like the journey was almost over and things were about to get weird. Turned out I was right.

Looks like Outer Wilds.

>mfw I made the mistake of trying to play Risen 2 with a melee build on my first playthrough

Attached: 1427827228388.png (536x373, 224K)

Then like everything else it became all about Big Boss doing it years ago.

I've always loved the atmosphere in the Mission Control of Gex 3.

youtube.com/watch?v=W4CmQIkzMx8

Attached: gex-3-deep-cover-gecko-05.png (800x600, 261K)

Ancient Rome, too bad it's mostly strategy game, would love to have a Kingdom Come style rpg in ancient Rome

Attached: son_of_rome.jpg (928x523, 107K)

Don't know how to describe it, but I loved East zone in Hyper Light Drifter: sunlit, clear water, antique architecture. Combined with pretty low enemy density it was a joy to explore. And the music.
youtube.com/watch?v=k3hfWg2kxpk
youtube.com/watch?v=UZ7X_NKKYZM

Attached: hld-east.png (1360x768, 307K)

youtube.com/watch?v=7Nuz_w3xLKM

Attached: GTA3.jpg (1280x1024, 341K)

English manors at night.
youtube.com/watch?v=BSzVl-9Er9w

Attached: BM_1.JPG.jpg (1277x887, 71K)

reporting in for the .hack thread

Tropical colorful beaches

Attached: Beach_bowl.jpg (564x302, 23K)

Sci-fi places during a thunderstorm

Attached: Ascend_loading_screen_AW.png (1920x1080, 1.18M)

Games with a cold, lonely, unsettling atmosphere, yet you somehow find it comfy and homely. Very few games achieve this. Silent Hill series, Thief series, System Shock 2, Prey 2017, and maybe Metal Gear Solid 1 come to mind.

Adventurous.

Attached: 81a1yzpo1ql._ac_sl1500_[1].jpg (1500x515, 241K)

youtube.com/watch?v=NFejhw-GkHk

Comfy snow areas.

Attached: SD3.png (922x708, 381K)

That wind sound effect though (or is it the blowing snow I’m thinking of?)

There's another HL2 mod called Minerva Metastasis that has you descend into a giant underground Combine facility, it's pretty good.

Underrated post
youtu.be/s22XqGkuIFw

Deep green jungles

Attached: 2013-11-18_00008.jpg (1280x720, 269K)

I've played pletny fo HL2 mods and minerva is garbage
Best HL2 mod is research and development, don't (you) me

A calming night in a huge plain.

Attached: barrensscreencapt.jpg (1279x682, 79K)

Small town during winter

Attached: t835HNtQ-bully-scholarship-edition-yrvb.medium.jpg (800x400, 38K)

this one.

Attached: il_794xN.1135731967_geej.jpg (794x993, 233K)

There’s many I like but Mirrors edge still takes the cake for me. Catalyst scratched that itch, but they normalized the aesthetics a bit and I don’t agree with the decision to make most of the game open-world. Top tier OSTs too; I’ve listened to them countless times
youtu.be/DF7POnIF0Rk

Attached: 9C65ECC0-98AB-4A0F-8EF1-64AE5D571A7B.jpg (850x313, 55K)

mein nig

youtube.com/watch?v=aKKpqIw-D0A

Attached: 1435265468588.jpg (400x388, 33K)

Attached: calavera cafe.jpg (600x776, 112K)