Play Thief

Play Thief.

Attached: 1553239927717.png (1024x767, 1.13M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e-bfkisAeeI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Already played all of them. Thief 1 is great. Thief 2 is great. Thief 3 is complete garbage aside from like one level. Couldn't finish Thi4f.

The Metal Age > The Dark Project

Attached: Thief2-GarrettAndViktoria.jpg (1280x1837, 428K)

The controls are fucking weird

I tried but the mine level discouraged me

I can't.

these suck. so clunky, yuck and terrible level design

Change them you bitch.

Attached: 1550655340485.jpg (480x360, 8K)

reminder you can play cool Fan Missions all day every day

Movie Gear Solid might be more your guys' speed.

Attached: Stealth game level design.jpg (650x519, 55K)

I was thinking about replaying thief gold, that pic just looks amazing

left is doom you n00b

Gimme good NEW FMs

here's a new take. if you've never played thief 1 and 2 before, and you're younger than 30 don't fucking bother. you're probably too stupid, or lack the necessary brain function to properly play them. you'll give them a go, come here and bitch and moan about old clunky mechanics instead of learning them. so do us all a favor, just don't play the original thief games if you never have before. thanks.

Compulsory Egress is dank, as is Night in Old Quarter (although one of the latter's objectives is unnecessarily well hidden).

Shut the fuck up boomer.

Attached: 1561690316529.jpg (1829x963, 312K)

As the other dude said, just remap them.
When you get used to them they are actually really good.

>avoiding enemy projectiles by leaning

I think the hardest aspect (aside from the graphics) for younger player would be the fact that the game is actually about exploration.
Lots of modern games claim to be the same, but all the "quality of life" features like GPS maps and objective markers completely trivialize that.

Well too bad I already did it

not really contentious, the dark project is more sci-fi than sneaking, II is consistent

I started playing it this week and I have been misled. I thought this game was about being a thief and not some fucking tomb raider where I have to fight zombies and dinosaurs or whatever the shit

>Lots of modern games claim to be the same, but all the "quality of life" features like GPS maps and objective markers completely trivialize that.
It's bizarre to me that these day it seems ubisoft of all fucking developers are the ones starting to push against objective markers in their design.

What kind of thief would pass up a tomb ripe for plundering?

Are they tank controls?

>I think the hardest aspect (aside from the graphics) for younger player would be the fact that the game is actually about exploration.
Lots of modern games claim to be the same, but all the "quality of life" features like GPS maps and objective markers completely trivialize that.

I think it might go a little beyond that. Most new games do that QOL bullshit but the smart devs let you turn the assists off. The issues is, what's the point if the level design isn't even geared towards exploration to begin with? At that point it doesn't matter if you have a giant glowing "i'm a retard" arrow on the ground because the level layout isn't designed to have the player explore and learn anyway. It's an old game, a relic of it's time and that's fine. I enjoyed playing them and can still enjoy them on my modern system but fuck me, devs just need to stop being lazy and stop doing these throwback projects.

The only big name open world game in recent memory that wasn't designed around quest markers was Breath of the Wild, which shouldn't come as a surprise as Zelda was never designed around quest markers.

Teef 1 is like being a DnD Indiana Jones at times
Teef 2 is all about steampunk heists complete with a bank breakout

Haven't played it but AssCreed Odyssey specifically advertised it's objective marker-less mode as being the way it was designed to be played, and recommends it when starting a new game. No idea if that wasn't typical ubisoft BS though.

system shock 2 is my favorite looking glass game

They can be if you bind them that way (there are keys to rotate the camera so you can play without a mouse) but there are also all the keys necessary for standard WASD layouts (strafing rather than rotating).

Ultima Underworld is my favorite looking glass game

Some pro strats.
Spoiled because finding about them yourself is half the fun.

you can bash open some doors with your swords
if you lean on doors you can listen to the other side you probably already knew those two
if you suspect a secret door, just blackjack the walls. If there is something it will make a sound
you can mantle on open doors
if there is a locked door and you can ear some dude on the other side, try bashing the door. It's probable that the guy inside has the key and will open the door himself to investigate
you can lean/crouch to avoid projectiles. Works especially well against robots
use normal arrows to adjust your aim before using rope arrows if the target is hard to hitor just savescum

I started but I got to the thieve's guild level in 1 and stopped. The second game is much better.

Fuck that shit. John Madden '93 is where it's at!

Nah they are fine.
The only issue I have with them is that Thief 1 is always run by default, while Thief 2 is the opposite, so it gets weird when you are playing T2 fan missions and then decide to play a T1 fan mission.

Hear about this game a lot.
Is it that worth playing? Does it hold up even today?

absolutely

>Is it that worth playing? Does it hold up even today?
Yes.

I suppose I was expecting Thief 1 to be like Thief 2, a heist game set in medieval times. I dont mind an Indiana Jones set in medieval times either but it's just not what I was in the mood for. I guess I will just get on with Thief 1 and play Thief 2.

Which Thief?
I'm opening my shekel bag right now.

1 and 2
Get the GoG versions preferably, they're already patched as described in this pic.

Attached: 1563212660358.png (1400x2180, 1.12M)

I'm the poster complaining about Thief 1 being slightly misleading. There are some heists levels where you feel like a thief but I heard that after a certain point, most levels feel like you are tomb raider and need to fend off monsters.
Thief 2 seems to be like a pure heist game.

I bought the original Thief on Steam many years ago and somehow never got around to playing it.

Will it run on Linux?

Play Arx Fatalis

1 and 2 are amazing. 3 is flawed but still a worthwhile playthrough.

Just pirate them. The people who made those games are long dead.

Getting both. Saw my friends older brother playing it a long time ago and it left an impression on me. Been getting around to playing it ever since.
Ty anons.

They work fine with wine (even the level editor). Just patch them

Sites are putting miners in their games now so I'm being more cautious about that.

Came to post this.

Attached: Arx Fatalis cooking a chicken.webm (960x540, 2.82M)

I love layered interactivity in games like this.
I wish more devs put time into their products.

Reminder that you can make cool fan missions all day every day.

Attached: 1542982811816.png (1682x1033, 378K)

Elaborate

>3 is flawed
yes
>but still a worthwhile playthrough
hahahahahahahahahaha. no.

aam yok taar

Attached: 1564227067616.png (3350x1783, 918K)

Attached: 1558986273453.png (3360x1793, 967K)

Already have. Thief 1 and 2 are fantastic. Thief 3, I didn't finish, but the open world approach was a bit of a turnoff, and atmosphere wasn't as good. I didn't get to the haunted mansion, though, so I might pick it up again for that.

Attached: 1555418490463.png (256x256, 124K)

Damn. I never saw the icon that up close. Messed up.

Are you retarded? Just pirate it. Buying these games is an actual waste of money.

Attached: view.jpg (2560x1440, 376K)

One of the best moments in the game when it shows up.
youtube.com/watch?v=e-bfkisAeeI

Thief Gold is set in the Quake 1 universe

Big if true.

Attached: 1561523884599.png (1500x1386, 2.77M)

Don't be a gatekeeping retard

i was underage when i picked it up a year ago and i loved it. Fuck you.

Watching Klatremus does enough for me. Im not stealth guy myself.

>options
>change controls
really nigga?

Its funny how people go back and forth on that one.

As a Trickster worshiping Pagan, the Dark Project is hands down the better game imo. Lost City is my jam forever.

Its interesting also how LGS diehards prefer the first games in their series, while series specific fans tend to like the sequels more.

I first played Thief Gold as a teenager and and its my favorite game of all time, and I'm still not 30 (though close).

the last mission of 2 was a fucking slog

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read in regards to Thief vs Thief II.

The GOG versions have older stripped down versions of the patch.

You will still need to patch both games with TFix and T2Fix respectively.

Always when patching the games, always uncheck all checkboxes.

>ywn defeat karras and give up on that filthy city to live with viktoria in the maw of chaos
>she will never drop the mask and burst out laughing when she sees her ape men braided your hair while you slept
>she will never massage wild aloe gel into your anus because of the diarrhea you get from eating only plumsies

Attached: aiportraits_1563520077.jpg (1024x512, 66K)

Hi Schlock, how's it going?

The gog version of TG has at least newdark 1.26 which is perfectly good for playing, additions in 1.27 mostly have to do with the editor except for the multiplayer beta which is broken anyway. And you want the stripped down version anyway, that's why you'd uncheck all boxes with full TFix (but that doesn't get rid of everything - hence the stripped down version).

which one do I play then?

>If you are under 30 you are a brainlet
Lol okay there grandad

>Gatekeeping
Fuck off faggot go play overwatch

Pagans tongue my anus

I mean, how's it going with your FM.

Thief 3 > Thief 2

Why is everyone hating on Thief 3, it's the only one I've played so far and I loved it.

Attached: 1564201443970.jpg (1920x1080, 186K)

You're banned from these threads, think about what you've done

It's genuinely horrible. Maps are minuscule, enemies are dumb as bricks, it lost all of its soul. I'll admit that the Shalowbridge Craddle level was pretty cool, but that's it.

what's an overwatch dad

There's something about Thief's textures. Why is it filled with colored noise?

Thief 3 is good, the gameplay has some flaws, though the real time shadow rendering and better AI somwehat makes up for them, however you will see that the previous games had better movement.
The atmosphere is just as good as in the previous games, and the music and the story are even better.

>Hammer swings intensify

Going to restart that one from scratch because the layout is boring. The last few month's I've been working on something different but I can't show that because it's secret.

>enemies are dumb as bricks

better AI

Attached: q6vCApt.gif (185x176, 1.94M)

Why boring?
Does the other project have something to do with the 'The Hunters in the Snow' painting, or was that screenshot from another user?

Don't play Thi4f

Attached: 1392977028082.gif (472x465, 2.06M)

Or Thi3f

Thief is based, but I'm still burned out from the Mage's guild and the following level which is a cave full of monsters.

Does anyone remember Thi4f's Yea Forums stream?

Attached: 1393640056230.gif (480x270, 2.99M)

Shut the fuck up, I played them both for the first time in 2016 and absolutely loved them.

Attached: Thief.png (1168x226, 82K)

I'm really bad at the game

You should also add:
crouching and tapping W before finishing the walk animation allows you to walk on any surface without making any noise

MEGA MOVIS
*chu chu chu chu*

The only Thief 1 or 2 level I remember not enjoying was the Thieves Guild or whatever that shit was called. It was technically a Thief Guild, so that was promising, but then the actual level was basically cave after cave.

Attached: 1392970714088.png (251x1326, 42K)

The Hunter one is on the backburner along with some other things, and there's no significant relation between any of them at this point.

>Thieves Guild

It's by far the shittiest live in the whole thief series, and I am pretty sure they put it in there so they can say they added three levels and sell a Thief Gold edition.
I still don't like how the extra levels fuck up the pacing of the game as well.

>*shittiest level

Thief Gold has this weird effect on me where the levels I enjoyed the first time I played them, on repeated playthroughs become less and less enjoyable. I didn't mind Thieves Guild the first time, but now it's a chore. I also hated Bonehoard and Cragscleft, but now I love them. Maybe because I played on Normal the first time, and now on Expert.

Would Garret be able to sneak into the home of Kevin McCallister?

Keep in mind that it's Christmas Eve and an unexpected friendly stranger will come by to check in on him.

Attached: Kevin-McCallister-may-have-a-new-battle-on-his-hands-772371.jpg (590x334, 36K)

get the gog megapack off /t/ or something

I believe he might be posting disingenuously to get a rise out of you sir

I thought Thieves' Guild was such a slog the first time that I resorted to a guide. On subsequent playthroughts I've appreciated it more. The atmosphere is amazing, even among Thief levels, and although it needed to do a better job telling you where to go I like how many different areas there are.

it's so slow. i know its a stealth game but maybe speed it up a bit you know

Well, good luck.

the cradle is better than any level in thief 1 or 2

>The people who made them are long dead
Spotted the fucking zoomer.

It just doesn't appeal to me, but I recognize that it's probably the best stealth game in existence.

you already know this, but that was hyperbole, he meant that Looking Glass is dead