Is it still the most prominent speedrunning game?

Is it still the most prominent speedrunning game?

Attached: bowser-super-mario-64-13614121-640-480.jpg (640x480, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

speedrun.com/games
youtu.be/08Ju7nel5cQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes. It's both the most active speedgame by current runners, and the most populated speedgame by total runners.

speedrun.com/games

>people say speedrunning is dead
>sm64 has more people actively running the game in 2019 than it had on the entire leaderboard in 2013
lmao

Speedrunning is fucking stupid.
It's only value is as a demonstration of skillful play, but they have to make it a dick-measuring contest based on speed.

Just BE good at the game and that's interesting enough. Why's everything have to be a competition?

>Why's everything have to be a competition?
Because it's fun.

Competition is part of the incentive to actually optimize the game. It drives people to push the top times further and further.

No, fun is fun.
"Competing" and doing things "for fun" are literally used as antonyms all the fucking time.

>you can't have fun competing
are you really this braindead

I wonder what it would take to dethrone it.

Attached: 1422697246646.jpg (387x368, 59K)

a better speedgame.

after 23 years there still isn't one.

today i learned that fighting games are not fun

so long gay bowser

>Implying
it's literally just nintedo autism. 3d games are awful for speedrunning

Why do people go for high scores or best time trial times?

3D games are objectively more difficult to optimize than 2D games, what are you on about?

That's like saying people do chores because they are fun.
Maybe you enjoy doing chores, but most people agree that being a chore is the opposite of being fun. It's coded into the fucking language.
Obviously there needs to be some goal, but I see no evidence that speed is the end-all-be-all or even a decent goal if the larger point is to showcase minor details, glitches, and general mastery of a video game.
I would say that the process of becoming competitive at a fighting game is absolutely not fun, even if playing them is.

>3d games are awful for speedrunning
are you high? 3d games have near-infinitely more variability and room for error/optimization. 2d games are glorified DDR.

This

>if the larger point is to showcase minor details, glitches, and general mastery of a video game.
The point is to beat games as fast as possible. The shit you're talking about is a side-effect.

It's honestly a great way for old games to stay relevant long past the average life cycle of a game.

You sound like a grandma

>That's like saying people do chores because they are fun.
>Maybe you enjoy doing chores, but most people agree that being a chore is the opposite of being fun. It's coded into the fucking language.
Why do people on Yea Forums like to come into threads about shit they don't like or don't know anything about and push their opinions as objective fact?

Attached: Anger.jpg (500x367, 55K)

because they're teenagers.

Posting mandatory vid
youtu.be/08Ju7nel5cQ

>people are still being manipulated by this booger eating nazi

Attached: rwhitegoose picks his nose and eats it.gif (166x222, 718K)

>launches into a tirade about how speedrunning is degenerate solely because he was salty about not getting a tied WR on silo
>eats his own boogers on GDQ's stream
>drinks so much coke that his teeth are literally falling out
>makes sockpuppet accounts on a reddit page about speedrun drama just to fellate himself
>Yea Forums worships him
Can't even be surprised

Attached: 1563523356738.gif (477x352, 81K)

And now we've circled back to my statement that speedrunning is fucking stupid.
I agree, but there must better ways to achieve that than deliberately seeing as little of the game as possible.
In my analogy I literally conceded that people can have fun speedrunning. I am giving plenty of room for differences of opinion.
You, on the other hand, pushed against my argument with "but it's fun," which is a textbook example of stating an opinion as evidence.

of course, it's not dying what with the number of autists in the west constantly rising

Attached: Screen%20Shot%202016-11-10%20at%2011.39.58%20AM[1].png (618x323, 76K)

Nintendo needs to make Super Mario 65 already.

Kek i didn't even know about this. In fairness it does support degeneracy in speedrunning though, he would know considering he is one

Attached: 1477340066727s.jpg (163x250, 5K)

>deliberately seeing as little of the game as possible
you know there are categories and that speedrunners have a vastly larger understanding of the game in general than anyone else who plays the game?

seeing slightly fewer rooms doesn't really diminish the experience much.

>because it's fun
>actually it's boring but you might find boring things fun teehee

Attached: cwc5.png (342x348, 128K)

Attached: hYD6tSz.png (604x376, 49K)

I never said it was boring. Do you not understand analogies?

>deliberately seeing as little of the game as possible.

Not all speedrun categories are like that though. I prefer watching the ones where there's more clever use of game mechanics and real playthroughs instead of glitching and wall hax.

OOT 100% has thousands of glitches and it's one of the most impressive demonstration of game mechanics in the hobby.

Glitches don't automatically mean the run is bad or boring.

This is your brain on participation awards

Are you a woman or something? Competition is fun.

Yeah, but there's a difference between glitching to get certain items, and glitching to reach the last boss 10 minutes into the run I think.

Like for example, I watch Resident Evil speedruns, and most of the RE games you actually have to just play through the game fast.

I prefer FF7 and goldeneye to SM64 but yeah it's easily the most prominent game.