Can anything even top this? Is this the final evolution of metroidvanias?

Can anything even top this? Is this the final evolution of metroidvanias?

Attached: capsule_616x353[1].jpg (616x353, 79K)

I mean, they're making a sequel.

It's good, but it's not that good. Equal or better is not just in the cards, it's inevitable.

>final evolution
what did it evolve? it's a polished turd.

It's trash

For me, no. I think it perfected the genre in many ways, with how smooth everything is. I wonder if Silksong will feel shorter or worse than original HK.

I don't know how the fuck the single worst Metroidvania I've ever played got people jizzing all over it.

Name 3 better metroidvanias with argumentation.

Considering it's one of the most overrated metroidvanias out there with weak gameplay and level design? Absolutely.
Even Bloodstained shits all over it.

Attached: 130.gif (177x150, 1.74M)

>Don't follow hype
>Literally got it for free
>It's a masterpiece

Also long as fuck for an indie game of that high quality I expected to be done it at hte 8 hour mark but i think im only halfway.

>can't even get basic combat down
>best anything

Cave Story +, La Mulana and Axiom Verge

>Weak gameplay and level design
>Bloodstained shits all over it

I played Bloodstained before going to Hollow Knight and while Bloodstained is fun, it's fucking amateur hour compared to Hollow Knight. If you told me old Nintendo developed the game i'd believe you, whereas Bloodstained despite having Iga's support and having more freedom in it's design feels cobbled together.

>Can anything even top this?

Already done.

Attached: 80.jpg (1920x1076, 328K)

Bloodstained was better.

While Hollow Knight is amazing, there are simply less tools to fool about with compared to Bloodstained.

Bahahaha!
Oh you were serious....let me laugh even harder!
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

La-Mulana (2005), La-Mulana (Remake) and La-Mulana 2

It's good. I can only play for so long though, HK depresses the fuck out of me.

Pick any three because no other Metroidvania I've ever played is boring for more than 10 hours, let alone a fraction of that.

>it's fucking amateur hour compared to Hollow Knight
HK is one of the most amteurish games I've ever played.
It embodies a game where the designers added things without even understanding why. Even basic things like pushback on your attacks makes no sense to have, yet it's there despite it only making the game more tedious and unsatisfying to play.

I played Hollow Knight before Bloodstained and the latter was better in every respect but visuals and maybe level design, but that doesn't even matter when one of them was fun from minute 1 and the other wasn't.

user, Hollow Knight was a good game but it wasn't even best metroidlike of the year. Check out Rain World if ya haven't already.
There is no universe, no matter how bizarre and improbable, where Axiom Verge is better than Hollow Knight. Or anything else.
based and technically correct pilled

boring ass shit

It's by far the best metroidvania of all time. It's so far ahead I'm surprised anyone even bothers making them anymore.

*sigh*
Boppa nada

Attached: hollow_knight_iselda_by_chochi_dc4ljqu-pre.jpg (774x1032, 64K)

8 hours is nowhere close to half way. It's around 35 if you want to just finish it, and around 50 if you want to see everything.

Rabi-Ribi because bunny.

Attached: sleepingbun.png (1366x768, 1.35M)

People who said HK was easy never got past crossroads

Attached: All radiant.png (1680x1050, 964K)

I just beat hollow knight and gor the basic ending. It was ok but it's far from my favorite metroidvania. I will say it's very comfy though.

I don't know why they have the player location on the map as a charm, it should literally be there for free. You purchase a map + you got to sit on a bench to sketch the new locations.

Also fuck long unskippable boss intros like Zote and Nightmare King Grimm. Losing then being knocked out of a dream then the wake up animation then the entering dream animation can waste a good 20 seconds. The Godmaster DLC got it right with the immediate startup to bosses.

Also fuck losing Soul when losing a fight from a dream. You're in a dream, it shouldn't affect the soul you have outside in the real world.

Or they've played harder games. Nothing in HK has anything on Rabi-Ribi or OoE level 1 hard mode.

you basically have to turn into a speedrunner to get through the pantheon of hallownest in that you just endlessly repeat the same actions until you find success. no thanks.

I really like Hollow Knight and think it's one of the best Metroidvanias I've ever played but there are definitely a few issues.
>Poor pacing, especially at the start which is very slow
>Overall slow movement speed, even lategame when you have all the powerups
>Weak room design in that many are extremely large corridors that just bloat the runtime
>The "crumbling kingdom" plotline is a bit cliche right now as everyone is doing it
>Mostly forgettable music barring a few select bosses and areas
I still think it's an amazing game (many of the movement issues are for the sake of combat) but I understand how some of these issues may hold people up. Its similar to how I could list dozens upon dozens of issues with BotW but I did have a fuck load of fun with it, especially my first time.
Just played through this past week and had a ton of fun. I feel like Yea Forums really slept on this game, it's one of the best Metroidvanias in awhile. Though it could stand to be longer.

A lot of problems lie in the confused map design.
They want to incentivize exploration and give players the feeling of drawing their own map (as an explorer). But the way the game is designed you're incentivized to do that.
>location isn't marked
>maps are inaccurate, not detailed enough
>maps have to be purchased
>maps aren't updated until you sit down on a bench
>maps don't have markers to point out things you find, these have to be purchased and are also limited. in addition no text can be added to them
>going back and resuming exploration can be tedious because of how the areas are designed

>But the way the game is designed you're incentivized to do that.
Auto-correct, should be de-incentivized*

fast travel points are in the shittiest locations apart from dirtmouth and queen's station.

These are all good points. Most Metroidvanias I explore an area when I first enter. Hollow Knight I quickly found the most efficient approach was to progress through an area as directly as possible then come back later after sitting on a bench.

They should have made better icons for markers instead of colors.

>Bug Mask for enemies/bosses
>Geo for Treasure
>X for blocked entrances/need powerups to return.
>Don't have a cap on how much markers you can put.

metroidvania is a shit sub-genre that only retards play. you aren't even really exploring the world. everything is locked behind power-ups. might as well make a normal level based platformer.

Ori's hold B to save > Hollow Knight's hold B to heal

This makes it bad, how exactly?

>Get hit by a critical hit that does 2+ Mask damage.
>Violent screen shake and ridiculously loud sound effects blasts in my ear.
>No way to turn it down

Yeah fuck Team Cherry.

Attached: DNlXMkKVoAAJfl_.jpg (1024x1010, 99K)

Bloodstained is extremely overrated, its not as fun as everyone makes it. You can literally crouch at every boss and just kill it.

Trash game take your shit somewhere else brother

not metroidvania
2d souls-like

>You can literally crouch at every boss and just kill it.
No you can't, and you know it. You are a liar and a disingenuous person

The point of metroidvanias is a platformer that has interconnected levels, progression and reasons for you to explore and use your abilities in different ways.

You could actually turn Megaman into a proper metroidvania.
>A whole interconnected level that you can tackle in any way you want.
>To reach Sigma/Wily's castle you need every single boss power.
>Defeating bosses also alters certain areas so they become easier to traverse, like turning on power on the entire map so lights illuminate darker areas, lifts are powered up, etc.
>Prof Light capsules are spread all around the map
>Rush and his upgrades could be used to explore the levels more as well

Attached: 121.jpg (856x628, 355K)

Exposure and a cool aesthetic.

>Its another falseflagger makes a HK thread calling it the best metroidvania ever just so he can complain about people calling HK the best metroidvania ever episode

>Purchable maps
>inaccurate navigation
>metroidvania
lol, you need to play more games kiddo

MMX:Corrupted when?

Oh yea? mr gamerbrain??

Attached: 1564541087507.jpg (374x347, 39K)

You can pogo every Hollow Knight boss.

B-but dude....it's realism...

>try steel soul mode
>literally cant die
>done with 80% of the game in 6 hours
This game is too easy to be the "final evolution of metroidvanias".

>Darkness obscures the screen so you can't see enemies coming from off screen
>Big Lightning effect
>Black particle effects everywhere
>everything goes silent except that loud hit sound.

>It's realism
What do you mean nigga

Get hit on the head more, kiddo.

Yes. AM2R was a way funner experience and that shit is a fan remake.

based and iseldapilled

Except you fucking cant.
What is radiance?
What is the Hollow Knight?
What is literally anything past the first few levels your dumb mong brain played before you went to get your stinky diaper changed?

HK is a good filter game,
When people say its good/great I know they actually play vidya

When people piss and moan about it I know they are just special needs kids that dont function in day to day society and have shit taste.

Attached: 1561073733927.jpg (659x545, 28K)

I think i'm braindead. I just can't defeat pantheon of hallownest. Its either nigger markoth that ends my run or absolute radiance. I had one fluke fight where i defeated her in hall of gods and that's it.

Fuck my completionist autism.

Attached: Screenshot_5.png (1785x811, 776K)