Linux gaming thread

How much more of Microsoft's big veiny cock can you take before you start thinking about switching to Linux?

Attached: tux.png (2000x2320, 458K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bDpXVVx4pn8
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/process/code-of-conduct.rst?id=8a104f8b5867c682d994ffa7a74093c54469c11f
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty,_and_doubt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'll switch to Linux when game compatibility is 100%.
Not 90%.
Not 95%.
Not 98%.
If I ever even have to wonder whether or not a game will run well, then it's not worth switching.

PCfags are too retarded for a linux OS

When I can be arsed

what game

I don't think I care much for swapping to an OS which has as its official policy that meritocracy is "white, male patriarchy" and it needs to go. It's kind of sad to see so many talented devs quitting the open source scene because it's now been invaded by far left nutjubs who are turning it into a shitshow. Linux is doomed.

It's not been too bad so far with Steam doing it automatically for the most the part. I've lost half my library but a lot of it was humble bundle crap.

>switch to linux to avoid spyware
>still install spyware like steam and discord

Attached: 1556970988117.png (246x345, 94K)

Microsoft sent those tranny infiltrators to fuck up Linux just when it was getting good. Embrace, extend, extinguish.

At what level? Are the development teams for certain distros contaminated or is the whole thing?

youtube.com/watch?v=bDpXVVx4pn8
Only thing worth playing on Linux

Linus Torvalds still controls the final commits but they are trying to get rid of him for being an elitist who only wants well written, functional code in his kernel. Once he's gone, its ogre.

This. mon/grels like OP need to fuck off if they don't have any reasoning beyond "muh privacy" which is a dead concept in the digital age since every fucking software or device has some spyware shit in it

Attached: 1450480616219.jpg (188x211, 11K)

You are supposed to start these threads with "install gentoo" instead of bad banter.

Anyway, I'm interested to see if Valve will turn SteamOS into a real desktop distro instead of the weird console pc hybrid it used to be now that they are funding work on KDE.

Attached: 1558655225130.png (259x194, 7K)

Windows doesn't even have 100% compatibility with Windows games. Try playing anything from the XP era or earlier and you'll probably have to download a fan made patch or glide emulator off some long abandoned forum before you can even start the game.

It's gone all the way to the top. This stuff has been going on for years, e.g. Mozilla, but it's really spreading out now and becoming a problem. Technical discussion about fucking software is marred by political bullshit. To be fair, open source was always a commie ideal so it makes sense that the far left has taken over.

It will never be 100%. Neither will Windows though. Linux already very clearly has better compatibility with Windows games than Windows 10 does. Maybe better than Windows 7 does.

what's the point on valve funding them if these anons words are true? soon they'll remove vidya or block steam because they can't let go it allowed vidya that contained rape

>install gentoo
Too young to even remember that. Also do you want this zoomers having a new meme word.

Need proper graphic card driver support

why not get the open source drivers

That's just FUD. Linus is still telling retards to get retroactively aborted in the kernel mailing lists like he always has.

Valve is funding a lot of work from graphics drivers to wine.

Attached: 1546743810298.jpg (620x413, 78K)

nobody is forcing you to do so

>Linux gaming
LOL

Are they any better? I just want to play minerboy on my manjaro laptop but it's horrible 50% of the time

>Linus is still telling retards to get retroactively aborted in the kernel mailing lists like he always has.
Yeah, but what happens if he dies? Linux will be shittier or just as bad as Windows

there's always a work around though

When Linux isn't a buggy mess and I don't have to google for 2 hours to solve a simple problem and when mainstream software is available on Linux.
Yeah then I'll switch, but for now Windows 10 is the best OS you can install on your gaming PC.

another proof that /g/ is a bunch of cucks

>implying linus benedict torvalds can die
In tech terms that day is so far away that both windows and linux will probably be irrelevant by then. Fucking Hurd will probably finally be functional by then.
He also has people helping him that know what they are doing so I'm not exactly worried. Greg Kroah-Hartman is the current maintainer of all the non-mainline branches.

Attached: 1550958496088.jpg (356x280, 11K)

Nvidia and AMD both make proprietary drivers for Linux so I don't understand why people are moaning about drivers.

I don't need to because I'm installing Void or something like that on the host next time. I've been thinking about holding out on 7 on host for as long as possible while using only FLOSS software if possible, but M$ decided to quietly backport spyware from newer versions of their OS which I discovered when it started raping my HDDs.
But this is rather weakly related to video games.

AMD and Intel open source graphics drivers are really fucking good. Mostly because they are developed by google, valve and others instead of AMD themselves.

How can a few men stand alone against the tide of transfaggots? Linus only barely survived the last character assassination attempt.

This is the author of Linux's official code of conduct. She wrote a rather lengthy piece attacking the principle of meritocracy as just being yet another white male power structure. Open source has always had issues with infighting but now the infighting is getting political. It's not just FUD.

Attached: coraline.jpg (360x640, 89K)

>she
Seriously what are we going to do about these "people"? They are ruining all of that which is good and holy.

>In tech terms that day is so far away that both windows and linux will probably be irrelevant by then
This. Tech moves incredibly fast and what was relevant 50 years ago might be forgotten now.

And she/he/it has not gotten any attention outside of you retards who constantly keep posting about it. He is an irrelevant retard. Don't give attention to him.

>Yeah, but what happens if he dies?
The same thing that happens when a founder and maintainer of any project steps down or physically expires without having prepared proper heir(s).

>proprietary
I wonder why

Cheers mate

yikes, linux is fucking dead

Official code of conduct that no one enforces because no one cares about it. The only people who even know about it are people like you who constantly post about it on /g/. Not to mention the wording in the coc isn't even nowhere near as retarded as the freebsd one.

>Literal who says whiteman bad
>Linux is fucking dead
Based retard

Linux Is a Better and more efficient kernel overall, with a plus of knowing exactly what it does, so you can comment muh spyware away

I have no problems using the proprietary drivers for my proprietary hardware. Intact, I demand them.

Mozilla

all the games i want to play (other than flight sims) work fine on linux. even monster hunter works out of the box on steam.

>bringing attention to irrelevant shit that no one cares about and trying to make it look like some sort of catastrophic problem
That's pretty much the definition of FUD.

Attached: 1548242262955.jpg (2172x1711, 211K)

git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/process/code-of-conduct.rst?id=8a104f8b5867c682d994ffa7a74093c54469c11f
user is referring to this
Nothing changed for the end-user, really Torvalds is just pretending to shout a little less

What is fud?

>Fear, uncertainty, and doubt (often shortened to FUD) is a disinformation strategy used in sales, marketing, public relations, politics, cults, and propaganda. FUD is generally a strategy to influence perception by disseminating negative and dubious or false information and a manifestation of the appeal to fear.
>While the phrase dates to at least the early 20th century, the present common usage of disinformation related to software, hardware and technology industries generally appeared in the 1970s to describe disinformation in the computer hardware industry, and has since been used more broadly.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty,_and_doubt
The microsoft section is pretty interesting.

Attached: shut_it_down.jpg (140x140, 19K)

It's the thing the open source community regularly uses to deflect all criticism.

How much longer do we have to wait till your perfect free OS is able to play the same things shitty Microsoft OS can?

right now with steam proton

>can't play PUBG
>can't play Paladins (well it can, but it breaks every other week)
>can't play Magic: Arena (see above)
>can't play Street Fighter 5, natively (lol when is that happening, Capcom?)
>you can do the same shitty things as Windows can!
Linucks, everyone. Does less, costs more of your time, it's that simple.

I tried switching to Manjaro a month or so ago, used it for about 4 weeks before I went back to Windows. I liked it, but it's just too much effort. Everything takes much longer (example: wanted to format a USB flashdrive, had to look online how to do it, found out I needed to either use the terminal or download a separate app - just to format a fucking USB).
I'm currently back on Windows 7 POS Ready, i'll use this till support runs out then i'm probably just gonna bite the bullet and install 10. Perfect scenario is that a good Linux distro that feels and works the same as Windows comes out in the next 2 or 3 years, but I dont see it happening.

I kind of wonder about people like this, are they paid shills or are retards just this confidant now days about their terrible opinions?

all those games suck
I only ever switch to my windows installation to play il2 or dcs. MHW, sekiro, gta4, stalker, counterstrike, emulators, etc all work fine

I keep installing it to try out for a few weeks at a time and while the gaming situation is getting better there's still a bunch of frustrating elements that make it not worth it. If you only play something like CSGO though you can pretty much switch without issue.

>only 10% of games (excluding native games) work out of the box according to ProtonDB
I'm excluding native games because several of those have performance issues (most of VP's ports), graphical glitches (many Unity games), missing options (the original Metro ports), or are out of sync with the Windows version's patches, preventing you from playing online with your Windows friends (Aspyr ports). Sometimes it's better to run these games through Proton if possible than it is to bother with the Linux version, but ProtonDB just counts anything with a native port as perfect even if the native version is shit and Proton doesn't work either.

All gamers should switch to linux to cut back on their play tame so they can have sex instead.

This, I use linux at work every single day and I hate M$. But I'm not going to play the compatibility game with every vidya I want to play.

Wait, doesn't the default file manager give you the option to format if you right click on the drive?
What DE and which file manager were you using?