What was it like being a gamer in the late 90s?

What was it like being a gamer in the late 90s?

Attached: file.png (1152x768, 2.31M)

Its amazing to think Nintendo only made one new 1st party IP the entire N64 lifespan, and it was Japan only and only released globally on the Gamecube. The console has no first party identity outside of pioneering 1st party shovelware spinoffs.

It was great. Goldeneye with friends was top tier comfy and getting to cum inside your mom with 2 other dudes was fun too.
Hello son.

It smelled like plastic all the time.

Damn seeing that makes me feel old, I remember being sixteen and buying a dreamcast with a copy sonic adventure and nfl2k, later ended up picking up phantasy star online and loved it, mid 90s to early 00s were pretty fun times.

also I forgot to mention this was back when there was EB games and funcoland was still around.

It smelled like plastic all the time.

It was still sort of a subculture for people over 19. Most boys had consoles. Girls hardly played vidya, especially over 19. Sony, Nintendo, Sega didn't give two shits about the female market. That's when games had so much soul.

Fuck I wish I could go back.
I don't know. Maybe it's just time to leave this scene.

Attached: 1528043805301.png (500x381, 278K)

Big box pc games took up most of the shelves in game stores. Trade ins actually got you a fair value. It wasn't cool to be a "gamer" yet and video games were still seen as a social outcast's hobby

Except that is false. Yes, AnimalCrossing happened but we also had Doshin The Giant

That was gamecube nigga

There were no women and no politics. No DLC, no microtransations, no loot boxes. It was pretty rad.

The games were good and only cost 30 bucks each.

Attached: 2016-09-29-0248-20.webm (942x660, 2.38M)

You really had to be there. The games were great and only getting better over time, and the only assholes trying to ruin your fun were Christian fundamentalist groups and conservative law makers, and the industry didn't give two shits what either of them thought.

You should have deleted that other thread.

It wasn't much different than now tbqh. People just played games like Zelda or Mariokart.

>Christian fundamentalist groups and conservative law makers
Which was actually revealed recently that were paid off BY game developers to stir up controversy to make the game more popular. I don't know how I feel knowing the whole thing with Thompson and Rockstar was a marketing ploy.

64DD

>only cost 30 bucks each

lol bullshit.

Shit, for real? Jack Thompson was disbarred for all that nonsense. I can only imagine how pissed he must have been.

Nah, conservatives actually tried to get laws changed because they found video games so offensive. Like there were actually congressional hearings over it.

Expensive and unfulfilling.

That was back before the ESRB with Night Trap and Sega getting BTFO in front of congress. It was revealed a few days ago that Rockstar was paying for bad reputation back in the day to stir up the beehive of easily triggered groups.

The ESRB was established in 1994 in response mainly to Mortal Kombat controversy. It was one of those things where the government wanted to shut people up but didn't want to make a law to do it because it was just whiny soccer moms. Like giving kids candy to stop them from screaming.

>response mainly to Mortal Kombat controversy
As well as Night Trap which was shown during the hearings and fundamental in not only bringing forth the ESRB but also giving Nintendo some extra brownie points with the board for joining Congress in putting the blame on SEGA. I'm literally agreeing with you.

it was comfy