Dumbing games down

Why has it become acceptable for game developers to shit out dumbed-down versions of previous installments? All the new Samurai Shodown game has done is taken V Special, halved its roster by stripping off some of the more complex characters (and then made the existing roster of the most basic remaining characters even more uniform and boring) and removed its advanced movement options, meditiation and other mechanics that made retards cry about the game being 'bloated'.

Thing is, that 'bloated' system was what made V Special engaging in the first place. When I started playing it, it took me a while to get to grips with the complexities of the system and some of the characters' functions (it takes a lot of work to use characters like Yunfei and Suija effectively). However, the game was ultimately a lot more interesting thanks to its learning curve, which motivated me to keep playing and trying out different characters. On the other hand, I only played Samurai Shodown for a month before I stopped playing it out of sheer boredom. Thanks to the fact that the simple characters that remained in the stripped-down roster have been dumbed down further along with the system, it was too easy to figure the game out and to reach the higher ranks. V Special proved fighting games don't need combos to be complex. NuSho, however, decided to double down on its low execution to be yet another patronising mess.

SNK has been disappointing as of late. Aside from churning out waifus for gamers to eat up, they've been devolving their titles to appeal to retards and esports poseurs. Capcom had given an inch to these people by dumbing SFIV down a lot from 3rd Strike, and, as a result, quite a few of the changes made in SFV's system (no chip kills, no meterless invincible reversals, easier links etc.) were made in response to the whining of the scrubs IV was accessible to. If SNK carries on with the same mistake Capcom made, their games will keep getting more boring.

Attached: Samurai-Shodown-764423-Detail.jpg (800x998, 687K)

They're following the trends. Street Fighter V also had a lot of anons screeching about how it was dumbed down when it came out. But this was what the fighting community wanted and seemingly needed.
Complexities seem to correlate with scaring away potential players in multiplayer, which is what these types of games actually need to have.

Because more people play the game

There's no real correlation with complexity and sales or playerbase, though - most of the time, it has to do with appeal and advertising. Marvel vs Capcom 2 has sold lots of copies, and that's because people were attracted to the fuckhuge roster of characters people were familiar with, complexity be damned. Likewise, though Fantasy Strike has marketed itself for its easy-to-learn mechanics and low execution barrier, it's probably not going to garner a huge following anytime soon. Fighting EX Layer, which is somewhere in the middle, is even more niche, which has to do with its lack of advertising and its very specific target audience. If people want to learn the game enough for whatever reason, then usually they'll put up with learning the intricacies of its system, if only to push on with their favourite characters. People are still playing games with high skill ceilings like 3rd Strike to this day, while boring, simple crap like SFIV has been left in the dust where it belongs.

1700+ entrants in EVO tell another story OP.

The game still has plenty of mechanics and hard reads are fairly unique to the game too since the payoff can still be huge.

That's what any gamer might think at first.
But FGTs (faggots) and e-sports in general are becoming a big source of money for fighting games and their publishers. If they put the skill ceiling too high, they end up with a pool of very skilled gamers who can dethrone each other but are impenetrable by less skilled gamers down the list. So its going to be the same elite group for most of the generation. But if they lower the skill ceiling, this allows for a larger pool of players to have a chance to make it big, in theory. And larger pools = more participation, and more chances to see different characters than what the top tiered competitors are known to use, and it looks good for all involved.

There needs to be a fighting game where the skill ceiling is very high but its not impossible for lesser skilled gamers to reach the top if they get lucky. I think the latest smash is also accused of dumbing down the gameplay, but had a record number of smelly faggots signing up for some FGT recently.
So from here we can see that what's really hurting the fighting games genre is also boosting participation rates. Maybe sales numbers too.

Because the majority of consumers don't care bout anything you just said.

>1700+ entrants in EVO tell another story OP.
>entrants means gameplay isn't dumber down

lmao

Attached: ultimate.png (728x1098, 1.12M)

That game actually has quite alot more going for it than its predecessor though you mong.

>its predecessor

LMAO WOW it's better than another piece of dumbed down casual shit with high entrants, congrats! The argument that entrants = not dumbed down shit is still btfo

Attached: wii u.jpg (272x186, 25K)

Most people don't really care about the skill ceiling because, if they're reasonable, they don't expect to beat top players within their first week of playing it. Really, the problem is that some games have their skill floors a little too high for comfort. Games like Guilty Gear demand you learn a lot about their systems before you even get close to your first real win, so, naturally, it's offputting to most onlookers. However, I'd argue that the people who are willing enough to clear that hurdle are the sort of people Guilty Gear is designed for.

>If they put the skill ceiling too high, they end up with a pool of very skilled gamers who can dethrone each other but are impenetrable by less skilled gamers down the list.
That can happen with literally any remotely deep game over time, but it doesn't necessarily make a game polarising. Melee is very janky and its top players are pretty much set in stone and have been for years, but that didn't stop the game from receiving new entrants at EVO during its time there. People were autistic enough to lug around CRTs and scour for defective controllers just because they wanted in on Melee so badly, probably because it's a Smash game rather than some old Capcom fighter that hipsters pretend to like.

>FGTs (faggots) and e-sports in general are becoming a big source of money for fighting games and their publishers.
That's probably why fighting games have become less experimentive and more stale. Indeed, the esports route has been successful for Capcom, but I struggle to imagine that people will still be playing SFV twenty years onward like they have with Super Turbo, 3rd Strike etc.. FEXL isn't doing too well now, but I guarantee its interesting, deep mechanics will make it age a lot better than the esports-geared titles abundant these days, and that the small playerbase it has now will stick with it for years onward. I guess immediate money comes first over making something built to last.

I'm glad bullshit like the weapon gauge is out, getting gimped after one move as Zankuro was trash

Nigger please V Special was over bloated with shit, much of which felt unecessary or even redundant. The game still has plenty of stuff, but I'm fucking glad it went more in the direction of II. Making shit complicated to do or making it so that there's a million things to look for does not necessarily mean depth.

>Really, the problem is that some games have their skill floors a little too high for comfort.
How would you fix this user?
I remember getting filtered by Devil Jin in Tekken 5 (was it 5?). I beat him with some characters but couldn't with others. I assume people in e-sports must at least have beaten all the casual filters with every character.

Fuck you, I liked it. Where are my Jubei and Ukyo mains?

so?

>dumbing down from 3S to IV
Uneducated opinion hastily discarded, good sir. 3S is by far the dumbest SF has been bar V.

Attached: akuma.png (780x802, 207K)

>over bloated with shit, much of which felt unecessary or even redundant
tl;dr "No."
V Special had the weapon gauge, meditation/time slow/Issen, Rage Explosion with Fatalities tied to them and advanced movement options that were brought back from II - that's it. While I do reckon the weapon gauge didn't do a good job of forcing players to take their shots carefully (and ended up declawing Zankuro because of how they fucked his heavy slashes if they ever whiffed, even though they're still the most powerful in the game), the other three are responsible for making the game as compelling as it is.
The way each character had their rage balanced made meditating for Issen a lot more viable for some characters than others, who enjoy getting rage boosts all the time anyway. Enja, who's all about taking serious risks for huge damage, wouldn't be as threatening up close if he was barely ever raged. Suija, on the other hand, is defensively inclined, often has space to meditate and gets a lot of mileage with time slow if you know his combo. It not only balanced the roster even more, but the decision between Rage Explosion and Issen is a lot more engaging than simply popping RE in SS7 as a panic button.
Movement options like dodges and rolls made the game a lot less degenerate. Compare fighting Galford in V Special to SS7 - while in V Special he had to be on his toes a lot more and was more focused on nasty mixups, in 7 he can safely flowchart Poppy -> Plasma Blade -> whatever at fullscreen because there's no rolling under his fireball anymore - as a result, he is a lot more degenerate and less fun to play or deal with. The fact that these movement options even existed also gave way to a more diverse roster - for instance, it made Mina's arrow spam possible to deal with while giving grapplers like Gaira and Kusaregedo better ways to get in close.
V Special was over bloated with shit, but it was good shit that made the game balanced and fun to learn.

Attached: genjuro.jpg (1224x1884, 943K)

Attached: y.png (264x222, 7K)

>It's a fighting game thread on Yea Forums

>All the new Samurai Shodown game has done is taken V Special,halved its roster by stripping off some of the more complex characters (and then made the existing roster of the most basic remaining characters even more uniform and boring) and removed its advanced movement options, meditiation and other mechanics that made retards cry about the game being 'bloated'.

SS2019 is more a true Samurai Shodown game than VS.

VS isn't a bad game (is fun to play) but it isn't a good samurai shodown game unlike 2019.

SamSho is arguably less dumb now. Go watch old SamSho its just fast paced retardation. Slowing it down allows for real neutral and not just hard reads for 40% constantly. Its always been a joke series contrarians spout is so "neutral" and well it has a lot of neutral to it the contents of its tools are pretty retarded.

Both SSV and V Special were developed by the same team who would go on to make Arcana Heart. It's clear they struggled to work within the constraints of the series, given how some of the new characters are so out-of-the-box and unorthodox (including newcomers and the split Bust variants). That being said, SS7 plays a lot closer to the first two games than V Special because it's so scaled back.

There were footsies and neutral moments in V Special, just not as often or forced. Besides, the series has always been more about finding patterns in your opponent and getting huge damage off of good reads. Retards just thought it was footsies-based because it's a bit like Street Fighter and it has little in the way of combos.

Ultimate is a good game though.

>Capcom had given an inch to these people by dumbing SFIV down a lot from 3rd Strike
How is SFIV dumbed down? It had it's own bullshit as well with red focus attacks, 1 frame links, etc. and arguably is more complex then 3rd Strike.