Games that can be considered "art" are ones that use the medium to tell stories in ways that books...

Games that can be considered "art" are ones that use the medium to tell stories in ways that books, movies and TV shows can't.
This means making full use of the interactivity aspect to create splitting paths and scenarios that put the player in the midst of conflict and make them part of the story.
Many Sony games are considered "art" yet they all completely miss this.
Titles that many people praise such as The Last of Us are just sad attempts to impress the forefathers of the entertainment industry by trying to be Hollywood movies.
However, by doing this, they completely miss the point of what a video game can be, and have only just churned out another mediocre movie except one that requires you to hold a video game and occasionally press a button.
All these "artsy" sony games are ultimately failures in everything they set out to be. They're essentially a hodgepodge of the worst aspects of both mediums, the bland melodrama of oversaturated hollywood flicks and the boredom and tedium that comes from playing a poorly made third person shooter with sloppy controls.
Of course, sonyfags will refuse to acknowledge this and will just break into another one of their temper tantrums as they find difficulty in coming to terms with their own shitty taste which has been dictated by a committee of marketers who try to cash in on the now mainstream "geek culture" by selling endless gritty re-interpretations of fantasy genres to impressionable teens and young adults.
People get pressured into play the latest Sony "masterpiece" so that they can stay relevant in the current conversation with other fellow normalfags, but to genuinely enjoy these games without any social pressure applied is a different story.
It's similar to superhero movies, it's one thing to enjoy them together with friends as a social event and an excuse to go out, but it's another to isolate the social aspect and try to enjoy the movies on their own merit.

Attached: 1472839105792.jpg (960x720, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

files.catbox.moe/kumz9s.mp4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what do you think peter griffins favorite game is

videogames have been art for at the very least 20 years
and not the reasons you said, you don't need splitting paths, branching scenarios or any of that bullshit to make full use of the interactive medium

Fortnite because hes ebic xdxdxd jajajajaja

Undertale

With video games you are the art. Like in Until Dawn, when you were told not to move the controller the slightest bit. That frozen mass of fear Sony turned you into is art.

This is the biggest pseud faggot video game opinion out there.

Sony used to make wonderful games.

Attached: 1544059704312.png (714x1280, 1.08M)

Journey and Shadow of the colossus are both art, despite of your arbitrary rules.

gamer

Could Journey or SotC exist as movies and still deliver the same impact?

tl;dr

maybe as super frenchy silent auteur films no one will watch. still would be shit compared to the games.

He played Call of Duty once

[B] erhaps

VIDEO GAME FOR BABY
ART FOR ADULT
YOU ARE BABY
FAG ZOOMER CULTURE

tldr

Journey could definitely be translated to a beautiful, animated movie/short. But I don't think it would have nearly the same emotional or personal impact of the original experience. SotC could not be properly translated to an animated feature of any kind, in my opinion.

>use the medium to tell stories
You're close, but this is where the statement falls apart. Where games can be considered "art" is through the gameplay, much like how movies became "art" when they figured out how to move beyond recreating stage plays and had their own ways of conveying whatever it was they were trying to convey with techniques unique to the medium.
You don't /need/ a story in a game. A game that wholly relies on the story might as well be a movie or a book because the gameplay is adding nothing to what's being presented. This is why for the most part walking sims and VNs are borderline not even games to begin with.
So to answer the question of what game is the best example of "art", it's with how the player interacts with the game (and the game interacts with the player to a certain extent) creates something that absolutely couldn't come about otherwise, in ways that push the bounds of the medium in a well thought out and competently implemented way. What game that is, like any art, is going to be subjective to what kinds of games you like.

Both of those games fit well within what OP said, though.

>Games that can be considered "art"
stopped reading there, what a fucking retarded, pathetic, cringelord post

All games are art, the great works of any medium are a tiny subsection of the sea of shit and mediocrity those mediums contain

the primary trait of a game is to incite emotion through interactivity rather than sound, visuals or text

This is very true and I appreciate you user.
While I do like games like tlou or g
GoW, they could never be the best game ever made.
The moment you bring mocap suits and film cameras into the picture you've fucked yourself.
My favourite game of all time is The Void by Ice Pick Lodge.
True masterpiece that takes advantage of the medium

Attached: The_Void_PC.jpg (325x460, 50K)

Those games don't go against the rules though.
They utilize the fact that they are video games

i find this post rather shallow and pedantic

is the outstanding use of gameplay not a display or artistry on itself? not talking about the last of us specifically here, but other games that truly innovate in the gameplay department

You do realize assignment statements do not really work like this, right?

files.catbox.moe/kumz9s.mp4

Attached: Family-Guy-Trump.jpg (618x412, 122K)

Unironically agree with peter

>"games are art lmao"
>"and art is political so politics belongs in games"
>"artistic integrity protects devs from fans, you should stop listening to them and never update your game because updating art is violating it's integrity as art"

Yeah, games are art. When Geroge Lucas released a patch for Star Wars he completely ruined it. Therefore if you release a patch for a buggy shitty unplayable mess of a game you're running it. Games should never be patched ever. Criticism by toxic males is also completely invalid because art is political.

Or maybe games aren't. Maybe they're consumer software, sold like consumer software, literally consumer software in every respect to the point the bitchy sjws who wish games were art complain about how capitalism screws them, and everyone who says "hurr games are art" should fucking think about the consequences of that assertion before opening their fucking mouths.

Childhood is wanting games recognized as an artform.
Adulthood is realizing the negative consequences that come with the label of art and wanting games to have nothing to do with them.

Attached: 2rdkbw.png (205x246, 4K)

>regularly alters content based on feedback
>regularly updates itself to suit the audiences
Games are not art. Patching art is a crime within the art community, yet with games it's not only tolerated it's fucking expected and demanded. You're a lazy dev if you aren't reacting to exploits and fixing your game. Even the term 'fixing' doesn't exist in art. Mistakes are part of the design but not in game design. There it's a fuck up.

Games are objectively not art and unless you're an sjws you should not want them to be. Sjws will never stop politicizing games and making them 'provocative' until you stop calling them art. Art is supposed to do that shit. You can't bitch about it and call games art at the same time. Moreover it isn't treated like art in the slightest in the marketplace.

>Games that can be considered "art" are ones that use the medium to tell stories in ways that books, movies and TV shows can't.
Says who

why did you post a picture of yourself?

I use to read "Choose your own adventure" books when I was a kid, some of them even had turn-based combat mechanics using dice. Splitting paths and alternate outcomes based on choice is not exclusive to video games, they likely didn't even pioneer it.

Movie equivalent to "artistic cinematic experiences" would be just 2 hours of scrolling text on the screen, Star Wars intro-style.
I mean, books are "more art" than movies so "art" movies should pretend to be books, right?

A big part of Journey is the reveal at the end, which is something that absolutely couldn't work in any other medium.

Do you really not think that there's a difference between entertainment and art? Do you think 6ix9ine and FIFA are art? Do you think Eragon is art?

Sorry, I dont "argue" with brainlet wojaks. Art isnt some epic abstraction of W-WELL NOW THIS!!111 IS ART!!1, the only thing you can gauge out is the quality of any one piece and even that is dubious

Youve never created anything and only the most pretentious, retarded pseuds would seek out to create "art" without seeking to create entertainment. Art is entertainment you fucking retarded dicklet pseud, just because you forced yourself to read X classic for e-pseud cred doesnt mean someone infinitely smarter than you didnt read it for entertainment

>games are art

Attached: dctc22c-70571ba4-3978-4978-bafc-21b853a6e5f9.png (680x713, 343K)

Art can be entertaining though. Ulysses is hilarious.

How fucking illiterate are you?

>Games that can be considered "art" are ones that use the medium to tell stories in ways that books, movies and TV shows can't.
That's idiotic. By that logic, books, movies, and TV shows are not art unless they tell stories that games can't.

I will start off by pointing out that if a game matches the way another artform delivers art it would be art the same way the content of the other artform is out.
The second account on which you are wrong is that you assume storytelling when most artforms do not utilize stories and don't do storytelling. There is no reason why games should be restricted to telling stories to be art.
The rest of your post is pointless anecdotes and mudslinging.

great reading comprehension, faggot

Yup and the games that should genuinely be considered art still manage to be more gameplay-oriented and use game mechanics to serve the narrative or the characterization of the playable character, and these mechanics may still be deep and/or still "game-y".

Most games that are art are games that don't even have stories. Super Mario World. That is art. The art is in the mechanics and visual experience and music that combine to make you feel something in the moment. The plot is an irrelevant factor.

That said the rest of your post I completely agree with.

The more I think about it the more I feel the approach take in FromSoftware's games is the best, ie the story and backstory of the universe is there, but it expects the player to uncover it and there's close to no cutscenes interrupting the flow so you can ignore it and go full gameplay-only if you feel like it

Attached: 1557322157152.jpg (472x870, 69K)

Woah bitch, you expect me to read all of that opinion?

Street fighter 2 considering they’ve referenced it several times

The only game I've played that could be considered art was Majora's Mask, which I don't think is art. I say this only because I feel as though the atmosphere would be lost if you didn't have control of Link. There's a certain something about having to reset the clock yourself rather than watching a character go through the same stress.

he did. Pretty brave isn't he?

Based retard.

>the last of us
fucking garbage that came out when zombie shit was saturating everything. should have stuck to jak. you cant recreate the feeling of jak and daxter in a movie.

One of my favorite examples of video games using mechanics to reflect the story comes from TWEWY
>the entire dual-screened combat is meant to be representative of Neku’s reluctance of relying on others and the more the player gets better at it throughout the game, the more Neku starts to open up to his partners and vice versa
>one of the game’s mechanics revolves around changing and influencing the trends by wearing brands into battle to make them popular
>One of the main antagonists abuses this by issuing a mission that has you wearing a specific pin into battle to make it popular, thus furthering his goal of complete mind-control
>Taboo Noise can only be damaged by whoever has the Light Puck
>Uzuki and Kariya are some of the only characters to survive the assault from Taboo Noise thanks to having a Light Puck of their own, much like the playable characters themselves
>they’re also coincidentally one of the toughest boss fights in the game

Attached: EMPTINESS AND INTENSIFIES.jpg (620x930, 152K)

The final level of Braid is the best storytelling in video games, which is weird because the rest of the storytelling is crap.

Peak level art in games for me is silent hill 2. Games can add a completely new dimension to art. I don't understand why people still even debate if games are art or not.

"Art" is a bullshit pseudointellectual concept created by painters in response to the rise of photography.

In the 1500's, if someone attempted to create a photorealistic recreation of an event, they'd be considered an artist. Their work could be done strictly for profit, but they'd still be considered an artist. It would be a mixture of both form and function, but they'd still be considered an artist. But in 2019, you do the same thing with a camera, and you're just a journalistic photographer.

Interestingly, you saw similar divides during the advance of telescopic lenses between astrology and astronomy. Prior to the conception of heliocentric theory, the two were functionally indistinguishable, and astrologers would be the ones to tell you when the seasons were getting ready to change or what upcoming celestial events were going to occur. It wasn't until we lost our place at the center of the universe that they suddenly got delegated strictly to smokey rooms and divination. "Astronomers", for all intents and purposes, should still be considered "Astrologers". But some obstinate faggots insistent on keeping their title refused to yeild, forcing them to take up a new mantle.

The point is, modern "art" is only done for the sake of creating some arbitrary divide and an illusion of inaccessibility. If you spent countless hours developing a 3D model of an orc, there's no reason why you should be considered any less of artists than the crafters of old.

The only game that even comes close to counting as art is Minecraft due to the way it utilizes what makes games unique (ie. interactivity) and makes the entire game based on that and nothing else

Attached: index-hero-og.jpg (1200x630, 465K)

You used the wrong pic

Attached: ps1_ape_escape_p_eycxeq.jpg (300x300, 39K)

Really? Is that only game that could be called art?

>This means making full use of the interactivity aspect to create splitting paths

It doesn't have to mean this. It can also mean environmental storytelling.

>BHASED III TAAHD.... *drools*

what the fuck did you just try to say you fucking autistic piece of shit? was that your "argument"?

>modeling an orc in Blender means there is no reason I should be considered less than Peter Paul Rubens

but Rubens is way better than I'll ever be and he didn't need a computer to do anything. He is objectively better than me modelling some random shit in Blender.

>"art" are ones that use the medium to tell stories in ways that books, movies and TV shows can't.
That's not how art works at all user.

sorry meant to post spyro 1

Attached: s1ht.gif (480x270, 561K)

Literally Detroit: Become Human

Whatever make for a "good" """joke""" at the time.

Why? Why should that be the case?

We don’t say that films lack artistic merit unless they use the medium to tell a story that couldn’t be told through books.

Now THIS is art

Attached: fb2fd36f67e09357086e9dadf0692770676f98026a68e5e87d9725c8b005a079_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.j (639x361, 29K)

lol you okay buddy? I must have hit too close to home for you to have such an autistic outburst like that.
I think you should try cooling off before trying to talk to me again, you hopeless limp-dicked retard ;)

>another completely empty epic le insult post

yeah, thats a snap from me, straight to the youtube comments compilation

first line is already arbitrary nonsense my man, you don't even apply this rule to any other medium

>art

Attached: Soy+boy+grin_f35656_6529216.jpg (1200x1696, 548K)

>y-y-you aren't allowed to make fun of me!
pfffffhahahaha
cry me a fucking river, you sad waste of air

Attached: 1502632261478.png (767x675, 235K)

>post an argument
>WHAHA UR RETARDED
>is that your argument?
>achually i dont have to post an argument because of ms paint comic

thanks for confirming that youre under 16 and that your browser is filled with reddit cookies i guess

my argument, fellow brainlet, is that your pathetic little tantrum and """"""""""argument"""""""""" has already been made null and void by the post you've been trying to refute
nobody with half a brain will actually humour your """"""""""argument"""""""""" since giving an autistic child hope is cruel and a waste of time
I can see that you're extremely upset right now, with your quick responses and "I am silly" memetext

not an argument, learn to read

What a post it's like a gamer symphony! I sip my tea to that good sir! *sip*

Attached: 1519098464852.gif (336x264, 629K)

I think you missed my point. I'm not saying that artists are equal. I'm saying that using a different medium doesn't change the quality of the art. Rubens being better than you is the difference between you and Rubens, and there are plenty of shitty, nameless crafters of old whose works are forgotten that you can compare yourself to that would still be considered artists.

When did he say you aren't allowed to make fun of him?
All he's saying is that your argument sucks. And even then, ad homimen's argumentative power only goes so far as a person's character can be ascertained. It does fuck-all when you're arguing with anonymous strangers.

What can you interpret from Pong, just curious? Video Games are just toys.

>with your quick responses and "I am silly" memetext
Your image in is I AM SILLY incarnate.

>Games that can be considered "art"
You mean literally all of them?