What the fuck happened to classic deathmatch?

What the fuck happened to classic deathmatch?

I'm not even talking about *sips* Quake style movement-based/arsenal-based shooters either. What happened to just dropping in, shootin some niggas, and dropping out like it wasn't shit?

Why's everything so team/class/objective/competitive focused now? I just want to shoot, run around neat maps, respawn, and fuck off once I'm done.

Attached: DMC.jpg (1024x768, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=exr5Tt42EXo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Participation trophy culture happened so little kiddies can't handle not winning
So team games became more popular because then others could carry little kiddies to victory and make them feel like they did something

classic deathmatch was peak online gaming culture

dude, just play some crossfire, fuck up everyone in the bunker, press da button and be happy for the rest of your life

Attached: S0fnImqynAk.jpg (1920x1080, 386K)

I think there's a large segment of the population that want to play multiplayer shooters, but aren't particularly competitive, so they gravitate to team-based games.

>What happened to just dropping in, shootin some niggas, and dropping out like it wasn't shit?
that's literally what battle royale games are, emphasis on dropping in

lol no battle royale is 95% looting 5% fighting

a lot of games have it as a "fun" mode I mean even overwatch has FFA deathmatch

Quake Champions isn't completely dead

Diabotical (Quake clone) is coming out later this year

It was shit when everything became matchmaking and "team composition"

Thats not accurate at all. Battle royales are literally the contrary to "participation trophy culture", you can only win if you are the better one.

in my experience its mostly spending anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes crawling around and hoping you dont get shot from a mile away

Hell yeah friendo

in a death match with 11 other people your chances of winning are 1 in 12 or 8.3/
in team matches your chances of winning are 1 in 2 or 50%

odds of winning cannot be higher than 50% or the game feels unfair.

so you already got a reason for death match style games to be undesired

>crossfire
I always assumed dirt poor third worlders played that crap.

right on man

What's really funny is nowadays nobody gives a shit about the objective or the class makeup of the team despite wanting every game to have them.

it's doesn't matter
what's matter is the 20 people talking shit at you for pressing that button because using it is against some magical rules
mad kebabs and russians are the best at what they doing - being mad
just nuke em all

Attached: 1552771370742.png (300x310, 167K)

Looks like somebody didn't get gud

the hl1 map not the shitty free game

the real reason it died is because matchmaking became more of a thing
it was too hard to go to a server browser and click on a server you wanted, plebs wanted to click a single button and get into a match
because of this theres less community servers, less community servers means you dont have anywhere you can go and chill while killing, which means you eventually stop caring about the game because theres nothing keeping you there because you likely aren't making any friends because every match you're put in with a whole new group of people
basically the devs and publishers wanted more control on how you play their game which means less custom maps, less mods, less freedom, and it makes you buy the next game they make because its new and you've played the first game to death already

I wish I knew. Quake 3 arena introduced me to online FPS and theres nothing that comes closeout now to that feeling. Back when they were popular, that is. Certain modes in TF2 sorta scratched the itch better than anything else I played as it had a high player count. I could go to my fav servers that only played my favorite map and rules. I must have played 500 hours of koth harvest insta respawn.

It lives here

Attached: 4645983-2fort.jpg (1920x1080, 461K)

People can't get gud now.

this

what are you talking about
all mp shooters have a deathmatch mode

impatient zoomers
you really think anyone born after 2000 could play a game like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=exr5Tt42EXo

yea

No they're not, in BR you're just one of 98 other people who lost, not a big deal. You can make excuses for yourself, "I got bad RNG" etc.

Just because it has cartoony gameplay and is based of a QW mod doesn't mean it's classic deathmatch.

>Why's everything so team/class/objective/competitive focused now?
Because MP games are not really sustainable without microtransactions, which of course necessitates a class, inventory and leveling system.

woosh

dedicated community servers are dying out because matchmaking is now popular for some reason, it's no fun when you just get matched with random fuckers instead of playing with a community of regulars

battle royale ruined it people don't want to play quake and have a steep learning curve when they can play fortnite and hide in a shack for 20 minutes and pretend like they're good for getting 1st place