Talk vidya with manager

>talk vidya with manager
>he says TF2 was alright, but never lived up to the nostalgia of TF Classic
Is he right? Is the first one really better than the second?

Attached: 452138094238.jpg (1024x768, 141K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BPZsL6R0uq0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>talking about any entertainment with your boss
you're never getting a promotion

It barely even competes.
You could try to frame all the weird janky stuff TFC does as being "more hardcore" because it dosen't make any sense.
Disguised friendly spies have enemy models in this game, lol

He's 100% correct, tf2 was a meme character shooter that never had gameplay as good as classic.

You zoomies will never know the joy of Medic AIDS

I remember TF diehards calling tf2's badlands the death of team fortress

I think your boss is a hardcore oldfag and possibly retarded

TF classic was fucking terrible and anyone who tells you otherwise is blinded by nostalgia goggles

It depends on what aspect of it you're talking about. TFC came during a time when there were a lot of amateurs making content, what seems to be far more than now (Mostly because it was easier) and some of it stuck. There was a lot of community maps and game modes made, a lot of server mods, and generally the entire community was "raw," so to speak. Everyone had their own playstyles and views on what was great and what worked, their own personal objectives to have fun, and there was very little talk of a meta until you got to a tournament level. People just hopped in and hopped out, and had a blast doing whatever it was they wanted to do with the veneer of objective based teamplay sometimes happening.

The game had a decent amount of depth at a tournament level, but I've heard players talk about how the grenade metas sort of limited options by making some classes very strong and some not worth picking. For instance, I've heard many times that medic was considered a very strong meta choice due to their high movement with conc grenades and good damage with their shotgun/medic poison, while some classes like scout was such a situational choice that they didn't show up much. I wouldn't know for sure though, I was 15 at its release and not really concerned beyond joining public servers and killing people/capping flags/building engineer nests.

TFC is one of my fondest memories of multiplayer games growing up, mainly due to all the variety and the different ways all the classes played. Sometimes, you'd have some pretty situational abilities (Such as feigning death as a spy somewhere and reporting enemy movements, or placing demopacks on objectives), but they were partly what made the game so much fun. Such things wouldn't even exist in today's game design unless they served a specific function that was dreamed up by the devs -- modern game design is very curated in that way to only allow the player to do stuff you want them to.

Your boss is an actual true-to-God boomer.

Classic sux
Mod or bust

TFC is a tournament game with structured rules and average+ skill level of players. It's a horrible pub game and does CTF much better than TF2 does.

Your typical games of TFC was suiciding over and over for the flag, since you respawned instantly, or defending which was shooting at people not even trying to fight you just run past. If you think explosive spam is bad in TF2 you wouldn't believe how bad it is in TFC.

I talked to my grandpa, he thinks TF Quake was the best TF game they ever created. He always thought TF Classic was more suited for kids and he thinks and still believes that TF2 classic is just baby tier shit for faggots and considering how many furries and anime posters play it, I'm starting to believe he was right all along

>the veneer of objective based teamplay sometimes happening
To provide some examples, sometimes you'd have players that just really, really loved sniper. Either the idea of being a one shot one kill kind of guy, or just the twitch gameplay of dragging that red dot to someone's head, generally every server had someone on your team that played sniper nearly exclusively. And they usually didn't care about anything else going on during the match, they'd sit up in the battlements, or off in their little corner, and they'd plug every skull that walked into their viewing angle. Such people still exist, but usually there's more ways to fuck with them in modern games or protect yourself, such that they don't have quite the same reach as they did. As today, they still just join to blow off heads rather than actually play the game, and if they were good enough at it, they wound up accidentally helping their team by the sheer amount of death they'd cause.

Some people just wanted to play the game like a tower defense and build engineer nests in various places. Once the teleporter became a thing, they got much more useful, since they could move people to the frontlines pretty quick. Prior to that, the best you could say about them was they'd stick a dispenser somewhere in the enemy base so you could refill. But generally, they weren't their to help, they wanted to simply be an impediment to the enemy team by forcing them to switch classes and kill their level 3 sentry wherever they placed it.

You'd also get stuff like demomen camping various spots on the map with pipebombs, rambo soldiers and heavies, scouts who might've well been bots sprinting past everyone and capturing flags on near identical routes every time, and a million other people doing whatever it was they wanted. Somehow, they usually all wound up being effective enough to be considered as teamplay, even though no one typically gave a shit about anyone but themselves.

Quakefags should be shot.

grenade spam

it's time.

youtube.com/watch?v=BPZsL6R0uq0

>hear from a boomer that tfc is the shit and tf2 is just the EZ kids cartoon version
>install it in 0.2 seconds
>launch it
>nothing happens
>close hl.exe *32 in task manager
>launch it again
>open server browser
dustbowl 5/32 players
hackers_beta_v2 9/18 players
8 other maps with 1/10 players
>pick dustbowl
>defense side
>*hl noises*
>crawl through menus to get to engineer
>walk out of spawn, picking up what i think is ammo
>*fuzzy translucent green text appears in the map and on my hud*
>die to a grenade
>crawl through menus to place a level 1 sentry
>*explosion*
>enemy (idk what class) bhops infront of me
>i think i hit him twice with the shotgun
>i die from something
>sentry dies to rocket launcher
>enemy (idk what class) bhops with the flag somewhere
>we lose
>exit game
>dont bother uninstalling since the game is the size of a short mp4

actually kind of fun, but as boomer as it gets

Drink my ass juices cstranny

Attached: sf.jpg (111x200, 4K)

I imagine that was due to how much of a change it was to the TFC depiction though TF2 Badlands seems to take some influences from Warpath

He is correct.

Quake is good
people who want to turn TF into Quake-lite need to fuck off though

Attached: john-mueller-id-sarge.jpg (1920x1280, 392K)

>TF2: class based shooter where you have to work as a team by playing to your classes strengths and exploiting other classes weaknesses
>TFC: dude everyone play the same class and concjump lmao

tf2 is better, but to this day I do not like the goofy art style.

It really depends on what you're looking for. TFC was more along the lines of an arena shooter with all the crazy shit like concjumping and what not that made certain classes extremely powerful. TF2 put an emphasis on a class based system and teamwork albeit slowing down the game as a result.

>playing original dustbowl on a 32 man server
Shit was absolutely nuts.
>can run into enemy spawn
>do this as engineer and throw special nade
>special nade does damage to anyone with ammo or explodes ammo packs lying on the ground.
I understood immediately why grenades were removed in TF2.

Attached: 666.jpg (394x379, 51K)

I still remember being incredibly upset it wasn't a realistic art style with lots of various teamplay things (Such as Heavy Weapons Guys requiring a setup time to deploy their immobile HMG and an engineer to feed them ammo so they don't run out very quickly) and had quirks like being able to shoot out flamethrower tanks and make them explode off of peoples' backs. I obviously know now that such slow and tedious gameplay would not have made for a fun game, but 15 year old me just took a look at TF2 and shrugged it off as just another shooter, albeit with cartoon graphics.

He's a wise man.

Fuck are you on about, you want to connect with your boss whenever you can to get those sweet promotions.

>explodes ammo packs lying on the ground.
i miss that

TFC was just a Half-Life expansion. Its assets were 90% recycled.

That applies to the vast majority of games on goldsource

That's just wrong

lol no, everybody played scout and soldier in TFC and it's practically the same in tf2. Pyro, heavy and spy are shit in both games.