Linux now outpaces Windows for framerate in Steam Proton on the latest stable nvidia drivers by a very small margin...

Linux now outpaces Windows for framerate in Steam Proton on the latest stable nvidia drivers by a very small margin almost universally. Nvidia's drivers are basically the same thing on both platforms, you just get less bloat running in the background on linux so it runs a tick faster.

AMD gets a moderate bump in performance (5-10%) over windows if you use the ACO Mesa drivers. Even more if you grab and tweak with Valve's fsync kernel which boosts single threaded performance.

If you have IntelHD it actually lets you run DirectX games you shouldn't be able to because everything down to the Intel HD 3000 can now run up to directX12, where in windows it's limited to DirectX10.

If you have a Vulkan capable GPU and want more frames linux is actually an option now. Especially if you run Intel HD iGPU.

Welcome to the future, lads.

Attached: 1564030811839.jpg (576x768, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QT4vwewdgv0
old.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/ckz1r6/looks_like_the_performance_differences_between/
protondb.com/app/389730
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Year of the Linux desktop?

ok but what's the point of games over 120 fps

if you're not locked at 60 or so in my opinion you're just burning power

You can limit/ strangle the FPS, you get better frametimes once you can push well over the 60 cap.
It improves how responsive the application feels while keeping power and coil whine in check.

Linux will never be fucking relevant for desktop usage.

Never.

Ever.

Good thing you can’t play almost any games that are older than 5 years, and still a good chunk of games that aren’t made on one of the major engines, like UE and Unity, today. Linux is so far behind it is impossible for them to become a main gaming platform. Getting 2 extra frames doesn’t mean shit.

I'm planning on going Linux with my next build, but everything's fucking expensive now. Even if I reuse my GTX 1070 and 750W PSU I'm still looking at nearly $700 in parts for a Ryzen CPU/mobo combo + RAM + SSD.

It has nuclear potential.

Anticheat incoming.
You're going to see people using it in esports and such to gain a performance advantage by running DirectX in Vulkan.

Attached: 1561408985983.jpg (640x640, 55K)

>Anticheat incoming.

Didn't Epic buy one of the prominent anti-cheat companies and just tell them to fuck off making Linux stuff because Tim Sweeney hates Linux for some reason?

You're also going to want an AMD GPU as their drivers are not propriety like Shillvidia.

Valve is building the DLLs in wine as a Windows PE, they're going the route of fire and brimstone, completely masking wine's signatures so that anticheat will be cool with it. It's gonna be hard but possible.

youtube.com/watch?v=QT4vwewdgv0
This is Metro Exodus running months ago on release in DirectX12 on linux.
New stuff runs and it runs well.

I sure love only being able to play half of my games, with most of them requiring tweaks to start at all.

Attached: file.png (631x267, 36K)

Sweeney hates Linux because Gabe loves Linux.

It's one of the world's most expensive and sadistic hate boners.

10% of overall games outright don't work.
Almost entirely anticheat.

Look at this trend and tell me it's not gonna burn down those issues.

Attached: Reports-over-time-with-Proton-released-2019-06.png (1024x768, 26K)

Do you understand how fast Linux improvement has been here? Do you not get that? Do you grasp how important it is to not have all games only able to run on one architecture?

Why not just play games on Windows like a normal fucking person? You Linux kids are weirdos and I bet you wonder why you feel so alienated from the rest of the world. It's because you do it to yourself. Get Windows 7 or 10 or even some Apple OS. Quit being lame.

yeah over time software tends to bloat up and trends toward universality, it just makes more economic sense

>2019
>AMD releases their best CPU ever
>AMD releases their best GPU ever
>Linux can actually play games now
>LG releases a 1ms IPS panel
Is this the year technology starts to actually progress again? I'll probs upgrade my PC when Ryzen 4 comes out, and I'll probably need to install Linux on my Ryzen system with it's Radeon graphics and and LG 1ms 4k 244hz IPS monitor.

Recently installed Gentoo and I've been fucking around with the compile options for the graphics drivers.

I actually squeezed 5 extra FPS out of my system purely by tweaking compile flags, I was actually kind of shocked that it just worked like it did. Experiemntal stuff but it did /just/ work.

Open source is always better.
The reason you can mod skyrim: Every element of the game can be easily modified except for the skyrim engine executable.
Minecraft: You can mod it because java is easy to decompile.

I see no reason why you can't extend this to the OS, graphics drivers, and desktop.

Attached: 1560527472161.jpg (593x767, 55K)

It's amazing how people on this board prefer unironically prefer windows

how bad is your eye sight and brain processing speed that you can't tell the difference between 60 fps and 120 fps. i can tell if i drop from 250 to 200

I'm using whatever AMD graphics drivers were automatically installed when I put Linux Mint on this PC a couple of weeks ago, and frankly I haven't had enough time for actual gaming to warrant any real effort in playing around with different drivers and other tweaks.

But I can say that Linux Mint is pretty nice just as a desktop operating system. I still have Windows installed in a dual-boot setup but I basically see no reason to boot up in Windows anymore unless there's a game I want to play which doesn't work on Linux.

Attached: linux.png (3200x1080, 1.45M)

Your graphics drivers are called Mesa, the open source ones that are built in.
They're better than the AMD proprietary ones.

Valve is working on a branch of Mesa called ACO which has a custom AMD GCN compiler made to be lightning fast, which gets you a huge performance boost.
I don't recommend you tweak on your main system if all you have is exposure to Mint.

But you can upgrade Mint to the newer versions as they come and you will automatically get better performance if you don't want to fuck with it and just let the updates bring you better stuff.

radeon are the ones that are built in, not Mesa

I want to switch, but..

Attached: 1546894345326.png (323x198, 10K)

I didn't want to assume anything about which drivers were installed by the Linux Mint installer because I think I checked a box to allow proprietary stuff during the installation. Or maybe I'm remembering the installation process for some other distribution I decided not to use.

In any case, here's what I get when I run a couple of commands which are supposed to show driver information according to some post on some help forum. It says "something something Mesa something" so, yeah, I guess it's Mesa.

Attached: graphics.png (654x467, 274K)

Mesa is the userspace driver that actually does the rendering and throws triangles at the screen, the radeon driver is loaded by the kernel and interfaces mesa to the hardware.

If you have a newer AMD then the module is amdgpu instead of radeon, which supports vulkan.
You can force it on older GCN 1.0 cards, too.

Your card is Vulkan compatible with some kernel parameters so you can do steamplay with **much much** improved framerate if you want.

Oh I see. I have an r9 390 which apparently is borked and it was using radeon by default. Didn't know that Mesa was a separate thing entirely from radeom/amdgpu/amdgpupro

Steamplay.

You can run windows games with native performance.

Sounds neat. I'm pretty sure I don't yet know how to do the stuff you're recommending, though, and I don't think I have time to deep-dive into graphics tweaking tonight. Do you happen to have a link to some informational resource I can bookmark for later?

>Linux now outpaces Windows for framerate in Steam Proton on the latest stable nvidia drivers by a very small margin almost universally. Nvidia's drivers are basically the same thing on both platforms, you just get less bloat running in the background on linux so it runs a tick faster.
Which game specifically? Let's have a look at those benchmarks, or you're full of shit.

Check out the ArchWiki.

They've got the best guides but it's usually guides for a much more up to date system than you're running, so keep that in mind.

Are you using the Intel graphics by chance or are you running from the AMD?
Or is it a laptop?

I searched for Tekken 7 Steamplay performance and the response on reddit, youtube etc seems to be entirely negative. It's been my main game for about 6 months and any performance issues cause fighting games to completely break unfortunately.

old.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/ckz1r6/looks_like_the_performance_differences_between/

Vulkan has near to no overhead.
You can reimplement entire render pipelines inside of it without breaking a sweat.

This comparison uses the OLD AMD compiler without the performance boosts and stutter reduction.

Yeah, my PC is several years old now. I think I built it around 2013 or 2014.

It's not a laptop; the Intel CPU does have integrated graphics, but I've got my monitor plugged into the AMD GPU so it should be using that unless it's retarded.

protondb.com/app/389730

Old news always sits at the top of the results. In linux one month is the difference between something not working and then fully functional.
Steam distributes shader caches to clients to solve stutter so if you run it through steam it will be no issue.

Type this in and post here

glxinfo|egrep "OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"

Sure thing, my dude.

Attached: graphics2.png (654x467, 242K)

You're on the AMD, if you set the kernel parameters

radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1

Inside the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1"

Inside the file /etc/default/grub

And then

sudo update-grub

You can reboot into a system with working Vulkan and get full steamplay access at usable framerates.
As per the ArchWiki article here: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

alright, i'll make a partition and try various games out. give me a quick and easy distro to test games with.
I don't use my PC for anything these days other than brave browser and games since I had a major career change so feature sets are a big whatever.
i have a 6700k/nvidia 970 for what its worth

Manjaro will get you the latest software versons of everything.

But be aware: It's arch, arch is prone to breakage because of it's rapid update schedules. It's a learn and burn distro.

Get their KDE plasma flavor. Best DE because they have the most features.

Thanks. I've bookmarked that page so I can give it a good read later.

NP

Have fun
Consider looking into the ACO linux PPA if you're feeling brave once AMDGPU is working.
It reduces compile stutter and min/max frametimes noticably.

You're on older Mint though so do keep that in mind if you can't seem to make a newer mesa work/ install.

Cute cat

*kot