Completely redefined the third person shooter genre

>Completely redefined the third person shooter genre.
>Influence still felt in many games, through use of over the shoulder camera and QTE's
>Considered one of the greatest games of all time for these reasons
>Subsequently ruined its own series upon release and caused such damage it never recovered until they remade one of the older games some 14 years later.

Is there a bigger anomaly in gaming history than Resident Evil 4? What an amazing game, yet terrible resident evil title.

Attached: leon-prefers-to-play-the-original-way.original.jpg (1920x1080, 281K)

Other urls found in this thread:

neowin.net/news/neowingaming-remembering-max-payne---the-game-that-revolutionized-gunplay/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

re4 is zoomercore

the series still hasent recovered and never will until they make a fixed camera game

Zoomers would never play a game released 15 years ago

>Made in 2005

Not even close to being a zoomer game

>Completely redefined the third person shooter genre.
While true, I wouldn't consider that a good thing.

Attached: RE4 vs Max Payne.jpg (1200x882, 298K)

Too bad the controls are dogshit, making it an unplayable nightmare

Gen Z started in 1996. They'd be the prime age range for video games when it came out you fucking retard.

Why would I, as a Zoomer, play something that isn't multiplayer? SINGLE PLAYER GAMES ARE FOR NO LIFERS WHO HAVE NO FRIENDS TO QUEUE UP WITH.

>Subsequently ruined its own series
You must mean saved it. There wasn't a single good RE between 3 and 4, the franchise was getting stale.

They're two different styles of third person shooter though. One is focused on wide camera angles and matrix shit, the other uses the camera to increase tension and limit your ability to just mow people down. Also the majority of RE4 is spent without Ashley

What's the consensus on Code Veronica and RE0? Are they considered shit or great? They seem like spin off titles yet share all the same qualities of the other games

Attached: 20190121234651_1-e1548789452684.jpg (640x360, 26K)

0 is visually beautiful but poorly designed and Code Veronica is dumb and the exact point the series began sliding down the path to what would eventually become Resident Evil 6.

What? REmake is literally the best game in the series. That being said, after 0, it was probably best for the franchise to go in a different direction.

>different direction

I really hate this shit, so many franchises have shat on themselves because some faggots think they need "reinvent themselves" or its not "fresh and is now stale!"

You guys piss me off so much.
Its a fucking game franchise for a reason, its meant to add and never remove yet you fucking dorks rave when they cut 90% of what defined the series originally just for a few new things.

Can't believe I'm going to say it, but it literally makes pokefags actually look clever.

AAAAAAA WHY CANT I OUTRUN THE STATUE AAAAAAAaaaaaAAAA

My bad, I forgot REmake. Maybe because I prefer the original.

i hated his quippyness
they werent even funny

that said holy fuck do i love 4.

>14 years later
Come on user that's not tr-
oh God.

Attached: 1528307963556.png (475x431, 240K)

>he doesn't like the quips
No thanks, bro

is Terragrigia the dumbest thing ever in RE games?

Attached: 97E7BAAB-A7C2-4F69-BA03-F78771C07140.jpg (800x480, 58K)

Sometimes the risk pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Being afraid of everything and never trying something new does lead to stagnation. The real problem lies in the inability to accept when something doesn't work and not being able to adapt the old with whatever worked in the new. Vidya devs are very black and white with how they want to move a franchise forward

Max Payne's gameplay isn't that good. You can barely aim and every encounter is won by diving into near invincibly and spamming. It's remembered for it's story and atmosphere.

Nope.. RE 7 would be because they watch their favorite streamers play it.

>Completely redefined the third person shooter genre
Yes
>influence still felt in many games
yes
>Considered one of the greatest games of all time for these reasons
no, not for these reasons you retard
>subsequently ruined its own series
no
>it never recovered until they remade one of the older games
stop that. You know RE2make was barebones, low effort shit that only survived by the graces of its early game map design, built off the 20 year-old corpse of the team's predecessors, who actually knew what level design was.

10/10 made me bite fuck you and fuck people who don't have the mental fortitude to see what is killing video games

>max payne is known for its story and not its gameplay
fuckin' hell I've read some stupid shit on Yea Forums but goddamn

The gameplay in Max Payne is shallow as hell and never evolves as the game progresses.

>shallow as hell and never evolves as the game progresses.
no idea what you're even on about. you are introduced to the game's mechanics and then use them to defeat increasingly numerous and better armed enemies. I don't know what else you expect from a shooter. Regardless, your original post was stupid. Max Payne is remembered for being a John Woo movie in game form, nobody ever gave a shit about the story

This
All of us boomers thought it was ahit compared to RE 1-2-3
I only played it for the time last year and while I will agree it's an overall solid game, considering it one of the best games of all time is laughable

Max Payne has a great noir story with superb writing. The gameplay is shooting the same dudes over and over reskined for hours. The only John Woo influence comes from the dual pistols and diving.

based as fuck

I've tried to play this game several times, but I haven't been able to get over the awful controls. As points out, twin-stick TPS controls were a solved problem well before 2005. The inability to strafe or move while shooting completely ruins the game.

>Max Payne has a great noir story with superb writing
have literally never heard anyone say anything about the writing or story except for the 2nd one. nobody cares about it.
>The only John Woo influence comes from the dual pistols and diving.
Literally everything about the gameplay is influenced by John Woo movies. The entire game is like the hospital scene from hard boiled stretched out over several hours. The bullet time, the emphasis on diving, movement and aggression to overcome multiple enemies at the same time and yes, the dual wielding. Like I said it's a John Woo film in gaming form and it's the first game to do it.

Revelations is the worst technically mainline game.

>have literally never heard anyone say anything about the writing or story except for the 2nd one. nobody cares about it.
Apparently you've been living under a rock and have never seen discussion of Max Payne on the internet ever.

No, I just don't buy into revisionist history bullshit like "dude nobody was high on Max Payne's gameplay, they just liked the story!". You sound like that faggot razorfist bullshitting about how nobody hated the star wars prequels until RLM trashed them.

To this day nobody has in depth conversations about it's gameplay because there's no way to. People have always valued the story first and the gameplay second.

>unga me jump and shoot room full of funny baddies
Max Payne fanboys are the third person shooter equivalent of arenafags

>To this day nobody has in depth conversations about it's gameplay
neowin.net/news/neowingaming-remembering-max-payne---the-game-that-revolutionized-gunplay/
ok retard

RE6 is incredibly fun tho

Some faggot's article is not conversation.

no studio will ever make a AAA mainstream franchise game with fixed camera angles and tank controls ever again. Keep dreaming