Oh god why did they make this so boring?

>watered down city-states that are only good for early trade routes
>aliens that just take up space and don't pose a threat most of the time instead of hostile barbarians or mindworms
>human factions that are basically just earth nations but without the cultural flavor or UU
>no alien factions even though SMAC managed to give us two
>no unique ideological factions like in SMAC
>ocean cities can only expand their borders by wasting production on moving around (forcing you to just buy tiles)
>even less late game than Civ 5 because no world congress/planetary council
>no nukes or planetbusters (lmao)
>unit variety and progress/upgrades are a joke (literally just 4 tiers for basic unit types - ie soldier-marine-affinity tier 1-affinity tier 2)
>meanwhile SMAC had endlessly customizable units and Civ 5 had warrior-swordsman-longswordsman.musketman-rifleman-great war infantry-infantry-mechanized infantry
>not even paratroopers/X-COM drop shock squads like in Civ 5
>hybrid affinities (Purity/Supremacy, etc.) don't even come with their own unique building or leader graphics

I could go on but you get the idea. This doesn't even feel like a cash grab, just a lazy proof-of-concept total conversion mod. Most of the leaders aren't even attractive/visually interesting even though they didn't have to base them on anyone real or historic. They could've done literally anything with this game, had the United Earth Directorate or cosmic horrors start landing in the late game to try to take over the planet and shake things up so you actually get to use your armies instead of having nothing to do - fucking ANYTHING.

Anyway that's my blog. There are still comfy elements and one more expansion could've made all the difference but then they just abandoned the project and now I want to shoot up their offices because Civ 6 is too cartoony for me to enjoy but Paradox and Amplitude games are too autistic.

Attached: cibe.jpg (1361x1317, 518K)

Whoever was in charge of the art direction and the gameplay additions should have been fired

Civ V's format was a sure shot for adaptations, but they fucked up by making it so bland and tasteless nobody can stand playing it.

While BE was a shit game, you can't really blame them for not topping SMAC. That would be a tall order even if Firaxis was the same as it was 20 years ago.

Because the real team was working on Civ VI, which turned out pretty alright.

I don't think comparing it Alpha Centauri is really valid. Compare it to Civ V, the game that it's directly copying. Civ V is so much better than BE.

>Civ 6 is too cartoony
Fuck off R*ddit

Attached: Civ VI Cleopatra.webm (1280x720, 2.91M)

I just like the setting.

while i hated everything else, i did like the ost
am i alone or just shit taste?

He did both though. And comparing it to SMAC is unavoidable.

>proves his point

Civ thread? Civ thread

What civ should I play, Yea Forums?

Attached: E0BxM[1].jpg (1920x1080, 357K)

It's fine for killing time at work if you're tired of the earth setting and basically want a low-stakes Civ in space but that's about it.

nice joke

It looks great. Civilization has always been cartoony. Civ V was the odd-one-out, and it looks bad and dated.

Attached: 40[1].jpg (752x505, 64K)

VI is the best in the series now that the dust has settled. Leader choice was pretty terrible, but the gameplay mechanics are the best by a mile. The only thing it doesn't do better than previous games, gameplay-wise, is nerfing movement.

Because modern Firaxis are incompetent.

A better game.

What did you expect from a fucking CIVILIZATION, the most casual, shallow, braindead shovelware of 4x/grand strategies.

Attached: 1524143893470.jpg (960x882, 59K)

There aren't any. I tried.

>Civilization has always been cartoony.
In the leader screens, the map was never anything like in VI.

>Civ V was the odd-one-out, and it looks bad and dated
Looks fine and the UI is still cleaner and more intuitive than VI.

Attached: c1.png (1691x1032, 3.92M)

Plebbit loves Civ6 faggot

It doesn't feel like empire-building. Just real estate development with the occasional turf war thrown in.

Anybody else getting planet fall on Tuesday?

It feels better than V, which punishes you for empire building instead of just going tall. In VI, you're rewarded with more development space for expansionism.

>the gameplay mechanics are the best by a mile

Nope. Civ 3-5 were fun, 6 is a bloated mess with a bunch of half-cocked ideas sitting around with no value. And it's got an even worse version of the problem most of these games have where earlygame stuff makes mid and lategame stuff irrelevant.

If you're not one of the Civs that shines in the Ancient-Classical era, there's no point in playing.

>punishes you for empire building
???

Admittedly I never play higher than King or Emperor but going wide has never been an issue, even when I choose opposing ideologies from most of the other civs, having a religion that increases global happiness for every 2 cities following easily keeps you out of the red until you can impose world ideology through city-state monopoly. Maybe you're just playing it wrong?

>looks bad and dated

Are you playing DX9 mode or something? Even zoomed in it doesn't look bad.

Attached: karakorum.png (1225x963, 3.01M)

>tfw i liked beyond earth
maybe because i never played alpha centari but fuck it. i still like it.

Beyond Earth was such a shit game, I even waited for it to go down to a fiver and I was still disappointed

That looks like absolute shit though

The only 4X games worth playing in 2019 is either Civ 6 w/all the expansions or Vox Populi.

If you're still playing vanilla Civ 5 or fucking 4 then I'm afraid you are terminally incapable of enjoying 4X games.

Plebbit loves civ5 also

You get a science and culture penalty for having more cities.

Looks way better than 6's technicolor mess.

Attached: civ.jpg (1673x1017, 824K)

reddit likes the art style though

Maya

I always win the space race.

It's much smaller than the amount of science/culture that you gain from having more cities however

It wasn't the worst 4x or even the worst Civ but it had so much more potential.

Civ 5 is a good game, Civ 6 is mobile shit
t. OP
also, should I give Anno 2070 another try?

HARMONY>EVERYTHING
FOR THE TREES

Harmony doesn't mean for the trees though, it just means 'we suck alien cock'

I've played and enjoyed Civs 4, 5, and 6. Should I buy Beyond Earth if I'm into Civ and also like sci fi?

Attached: 1564607958701.png (699x664, 183K)

civ 5 was fucking trash you subhuman zoomer animal.

SMAC > 4 > 3 > Colonization, nothing else Civ is worth playing. Sid Meier's Pirates is also good.

>it's the best (because is the only one I played)
classic

No, pirate SMAC and play an actually good game.

>>unit variety is a joke
What, thats like the one thing the game has going for it, is the unique units and utility units. Like if any from BE is taken to use for furture civ games give me those at least.

Did you even play IV?
The leaders are shitty 2005 CGI caricatures and that's the extent of it, even in the image you posted you can see they strived for a grounded, realisitic, look to things.

Attached: Civ IV.jpg (1280x960, 314K)