So why do people go so hard into the idea of Steam being some major monopoly when an entity like Epic Games

So why do people go so hard into the idea of Steam being some major monopoly when an entity like Epic Games
>Owns the most profitable game in the industry, bringing in billions a year
>Owns the most popular game engine in the industry, making more untold riches
>Currently is trying to position itself so that it will one day own the most popular game storefront in the industry

Feels like Epic is currently trying to get to the point where they control all aspects of vidya in the PC space

Attached: Epic Games.png (1360x1360, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

isthereanydeal.com/specials/#/filter:&giveaway
twitter.com/AnonBabble

rapid waves of hardcore contrarians that just want cause a stir
>one says they like steam
>another says steam is an evil monopoly
>another says that epic is a chinese botnet bent on destroying steam and stealing everyone's money and personal info
>another says that steam is a washed-up platform run by inept lazy retards
it just goes on and on

Epic shills are retarded.

>continuing to believe Steam is a monopoly while Epic has exclusive control over a growing number of games
>preaching about how the industry needs competition while openly wanting Epic's main competitor to go out of business

There's no reasoning with people who can't even formulate a self-consistent thought.

I'm just collecting free games man. Does steam offer free games?

Yes. Quite often.

yes

I've gotten at least 10 free games from Steam

Because v is autistic and contrarian and just wants to fight the powah. This would usually mean they would be for competition, but since it's literally only pc owners, it's just a lot of sperging, entitlement, justification to pirate, and reeeeeeeeing.

Unreal and Fortnite aren't only on PC, tho.

Yes, but not as often as Epic. It's important to note that Valve isn't doing a massive giveaway campaign to attract new users, because they don't need to do so. Giveaways on Steam happen when individual publishers and developers decide to make it happen, which is only occasionally.

This page tracks free giveaways across multiple sites:
isthereanydeal.com/specials/#/filter:&giveaway

Do a Ctrl-F search for "FREE on Epic Games" and you'll find all 25 of the free games since December. Do a Ctrl-F search for "FREE on Steam" and you'll find about 50 results since 2014.

That just gives Epic even more power over the industry

>i want another game store that could start price wars and a services arms race so consumers benefit!
>get a store full of a bunch retards who moneyhat everything and can't even program a shopping cart

Attached: 1533920646996.jpg (640x480, 33K)

didn't steam already lose a big chunk of its monopoly when big AAA names (EA, blizzard, bethesda, Ubisoft) decided to make their own steam knockoff?

Steam is a knockoff on it's own you fucking zoomer

steam never had a monpoly you doofus.
bethshit and ubishit still put their games on steam

steam isn't a monopoly

Why not put games on both instead of exclusives?

>bethesda

Bethesda gave up on trying after Fallout 76 completely destroyed any chances of their platform being used

Correct, a proper term would be natural monopoly
>"A natural monopoly is a monopoly in an industry in which high infrastructural costs and other barriers to entry relative to the size of the market give the largest supplier in an industry, often the first supplier in a market, an overwhelming advantage over potential competitors. This frequently occurs in industries where capital costs predominate, creating economies of scale that are large in relation to the size of the market; examples include public utilities such as water services and electricity. Natural monopolies were recognized as potential sources of market failure early as the 19th century"

Attached: chinese spyware.png (1914x4402, 1.91M)

because epic knows they don't offer anything new or innovative so they user their money to hold games hostage and attempt to force your hand

>and can't even program a shopping cart

Reminder that they are 6+ months from a shopping cart and goddamn achievements

epic doesn't want to compete
they want to become a artificial marketplace by buying exclusive rights

>high infrastructural costs and other barriers to entry

Digital distribution is goddamn peanuts in terms of barriers to entry compared to other industries.

>Electron based app is reading certificates.

SPYWARE, i can't belive people are that retarted to belive this

And it does change... what exactly? There is shit ton of natural monopolies out there, steam is just one of them

People literally do not understand what the word monopoly means and the game dev community are very easily misled by buzzwords and advertising

I want all the companies to follow the GoG model or die.

>game dev community are very easily misled by buzzwords and advertising
buyers even more so. the braindead twitter lemmings of today don't even fact check anything and take every headline at face value. companies like epic depend on the stupidity of consumers to not think for themselves which is why you have timmy tencent constantly spouting nonsense on twitter that all the zombies fall for.

Please, post provide examples I want to laugh at your or at Tim. Doesn't really matter to me

>examples
Just browse Tim Sweeney's twitter account, unless he's deleted most of them.

I just want GoG to be the actual alternative to Steam instead of Epic paying to remove games from both GoG and Steam

Sadly GOG will die first before something like that happens

>Epic claims that the storefront industry can totally survive on a 12% cut
>GoG already has had to cut features for their storefront because they had to decrease their cuts to compete
God if Epic pulls their bullshit off I can completely see them raising their take after taking control of the space

So, you don't have any. This is pretty normal for people that just repeat popular opinions instead of forming their own, they have no fucking clue

GoG was charging 50% from some games. I can assure you that GoG branch of cdpr is full of absolute fucking retards, and the only reason that they didn't shutdown GoG in 2016 was Witcher 3 success.