What’s the best version of each dragon quest game?

What’s the best version of each dragon quest game?

Attached: CEAC8510-8C8E-4CCF-917E-A6353E0353A1.png (771x1377, 807K)

DQ8
>emulated 3DS with original music and de-censor
The graphical downgrade is a bit hard to stomach, BUT the QoL changes are hard to live without.
>on-screen encounters
>speed up
>two bonus characters
>bonus end-game content
>visible skill trees
>extra skill points plus easier Skill Seed acquisition (means able to max out everyone)
And most importantly...
>INSTANT ALCHEMY POT
The wait time on that was a fucking joke, doubly because it was tied to a step count.

Attached: me irl.png (794x968, 1.24M)

Generally any version that is the most recent is.

Instant Alchemy broke the economy of DQ8

>Skill seeds
Really tryna get the boomerangs maxed eh?

Don't listen to this retard. The 3DS version looks horrible.

Instant alchemy pot is broken
Onscreen encounters are casual shit
Horrible horrible horrible visuals

DQ8 3DS is casual as fuck and looks like shit. Avoid.

>1
GBC for official translation, SNES if you want it to look a little nicer, I don't think this one has any major glitches
>2
SNES fanlation has some serious fucking glitches so your emulator better have a rewind function, but otherwise it's probably the best. GBC works too.
>3
Same as 2, but far less game breaking glitches and it really looks and sounds much nicer than the GBC port, and the translation is fine.
>4
DS but it doesn't have party chat, Phone is probably your best bet.
>5
DS, PS2 fanlation works too
>6
DS
>7
PS1 is absurdly long and has metric fucktons of content that was removed in the 3DS version, which has much, much better pacing. I'd recommend 3DS.
>8
I don't really like what the 3DS version added and changed outside of a bit of QoL, I'd go PS2.
>9
well there's only the DS version so
>10
lol
>11
wait to see if the switch version with extra content gets ported to PC/PS4

Whats the bonus end-game content?

>4
party chat?
>11
why wait?

>party chat?
Party chat lets you talk to your teammates in the game and gives you their perspective on the current events.
>why wait?
New content and marriage possibilities.

Party chat is letting your party members talk to you, react to basically every single NPC dialogue and lots of environments too, it adds a lot, especially if you care about the characters. It's not mandatory to the experience but it's nice.
And if you have a switch you can grab the upcoming switch version, I don't so I'll be waiting to see if there's a PC port. It adds new questlines, a bunch more content and QoL stuff apparently.
3Ds is also fine if you speak japanese.
Also you'll get to pick you're waifu, but I'll stick to the original one because I want the main character to be with HIS waifu, not MY waifu.

The original versions. Anyone that plays the remakes are casual secondarys

I love Sofia!

Attached: 28404831_p0.png (1200x1200, 406K)

But I can’t read Japanese
And I don’t wanna deal with Dq1 password system

come on user, I wouldn't wish Fullheal Malroth or Thwackspam Kiryl on my worst enemy

Attached: 1564706328843.jpg (1550x7472, 3.75M)

You can marry best girl.

Content and gameplay>graphics.

>not just recommending the phone version for 1-6

>literally cucking the nice protag out of his waifu to satisfy your own desires
disgusting

That's how life works, user.

Don't tell me you also fall for the childhood friend romance shit.

Since when can you marry Red?

Attached: 1549651193990.jpg (606x1000, 97K)

>mobile version of 3
>ever
Its literally just a worse version of the SFC remake

Is it my fault the MC actually falls for it? I want him to be happy, he's a vidya character who didn't do anything wrong, he deserves this little bit of happiness

I wonder how a remake of 9 will go, I'm almost 100% sure they will have local coop this time with joycons

Attached: 20190802162211_1.jpg (3840x2160, 2.87M)

that pic is a bit outdated, does it still apply to everything?

How would that work? Each player could travel through the entire world individually in IX and I'm not sure if the Switch could handle 4 player splitscreen.

Only major difference is 8 on 3DS was confirmed to be a big enough improvement over the original and now we have DQ11S.

Do what Lego games tend to do and either teather them or make it so you splitting off leads to the characters getting their own split screen.
It should be fine, fucking 4 player split screen is support in portable mode in Mario Kart.

thanks, are the original versions worth playing? I'm a bit of an autist and I need to play the original versions first unless they're total garbage

both are fine, you just miss out on some content.
Even now the PS4 version of DQ11 is missing out on the bonus dungeon and super boss from the 3DS but people got over it real fast.

Yeah. VIII is basically just a port with downgraded graphics and more content, XIS just has more content (and slightly worse graphics).

I've played both versions of DQ8 and the 3DS version is legitimately better, do not fall for the graphics autism.

Looks fine on the 3ds' screen.

Emulated doesn't even look THAT bad, graphics are worse in general but they are pretty ok for a 3ds game.

is there a phone emulator or something that lets me play 4?

There’s an Android emulator

alright cool

Are there any ROM hacks that translate the stupid accented text to normal English?

Based true fan.
Saved.

Attached: Pikachu.png (390x239, 67K)

Attached: 1537676497007.jpg (3376x1440, 3.14M)

The tablet radar in 7's remake makes the game so much more playable that there's no comparison.

>play the fan translation of DQ3 on the snes
>text blends with the background
oh okay

I didn't even know it wasn't in the original, yeah that changes everything

do you remember which NPC/situation did that?

Didn't know they removed stuff in DQ7. What did they change? I finished it years ago on the PS1 and bought the 3DS game a few years ago but haven't actually started it yet.

Mainly just the puzzles on the first island, in the service of making the intro less than eight hours long.

>1-3
GBC for a more faithful translation or SFC with a fan patch.
Mobile is good if you don’t own a GBC or NES and want to buy the game.
>IV
If you know Japanese, PS1 or DS release. The localization of IV got gimped on the DS, no party chat. If you feel that isn’t an issue, go for it. If you do feel it’s an issue, mobile.
>V, VI, IX
DS, IX being exclusive and V and VI being the best versions.
>VII
The PS1 release is quite good, but some people think the opening is too lengthy, and the 3DS release cuts down on the length. It’s a very long game to be fair.
Pick your poison.
>VIII
I prefer PS2, but the 3DS version is okay.
PS2 has orchestral.
>X
PC release, only in Jap tho
>XI
Switch, most content and orchestral out of the box.

>on-screen encounters
>speed up
>visible skill trees
>extra skill points plus easier Skill Seed acquisition (means able to max out everyone)
>INSTANT ALCHEMY POT
Jesus fucking pleb

Attached: 1562904686771.gif (200x160, 2.41M)

basically this
its worth mentioning ds 5 has an extra waifu while ps2 version has better ost and 3d graphics for battles. ps2 also has weird chibi models for outside battles though.

also regarding dq2/3 snes, the glitches are documented and it comes down to not talking to 2 certain npcs and not saving the game if the hero isn't in the first slot. (post game)

People really needed a radar? I found all the tablets pretty easily. If I ever got stuck, all I'd have to do is talk to the fortune teller and she'd give me a hint on where the next tablet is.

I agree, QoL features = bad, in fact they should go back to forcing you to carry only 10 items at a time on each character with 5 of those being taken up by equipment, and make you go back and forth through agonizing dungeons full of randomly placed pitfalls just because you didn't bring the key items the game wanted, while removing the Zoom and Evac spells entirely

Attached: 1562433761542.jpg (1968x1614, 279K)

X might need to be updated soon, people have said that some versions of the game dropped the region locking, I think it was Switch, Wii U, and PC.

Every missed tablet piece means a minimum of two treks across the overworld guided by vague suspicions in a game that's already obscenely long. Yes the radar makes a huge difference.

>cucking best bro yangus
I bet you know exactly how many days it is till Christmas don't ya bud?

>they should go back to forcing you to carry only 10 items at a time on each character with 5 of those being taken up by equipment, and make you go back and forth through agonizing dungeons full of randomly placed pitfalls just because you didn't bring the key items the game wanted, while removing the Zoom and Evac spells entirely
Sounds like my kind of game. Sounds like a Dragon Quest game. Probably not for pleb baby brains like you though. OH MY QOL I NEED SPEEDY I NEED QUICKY NO WAITY I'M BIG BABY

Am I not allowed to point out her status as best girl?

Attached: 1539680859917.jpg (507x700, 149K)

I get that it makes a difference, but I didn't think people had THAT much trouble with tablets that the remake had to make it easier.

the highly limited inventory space per character was an important part of the combat, i like 11 a lot but they really fucked up there

Limited inventory was only a problem in Dragon Warrior 2.

I miss random encounters

After marathoning 1-6 I sure fucking don't

Yeah, random encounters unironically were better for the games.
>OLD: okay I have to make sure to manage my resources well so I have enough MP for the boss, if I'm feeling lucky, maybe I'll try running from some encounters
>NEW: okay I just have to walk around every enemy so I can face the boss with full HP/MP

I also miss hitting my head on the ceiling with Zoom, and I miss having it cost a decent bit of MP. What the fuck is even the point of Evac if you can Zoom out of dungeons, and it costs 0 MP instead of the 8 it used to?

I don't. Its much nicer fighting what you want when you are trying to farm items for alchemy.

you still don't fight what you want though, since there are multiple possible encounters for each field enemy

But its still much easier when you have a least one guaranteed monster you want in that bunch. And most monsters tend to come in groups of their own kind anyway.

>I also miss hitting my head on the ceiling with Zoom
The removal of this was depressing. It just added that little bit of extra character, especially in 3D

first time it happened was really memorable, i got out of the dungeon with yangus at 1hp

>Its much nicer fighting what you want
That's the problem

to be fair...
Non random encounters were added in IX, where with the amount of increasinging specific farm X items from certain enemies and use X move against certain enemies quests, I wouldn't be surprised if random encounters would make the game statistically impossible to beat in a lifetime.

Its already a nightmare to do that with visible enemies. I think I read a true 100% completion of 9 took 800 hours.