Is he a good game designer or a pretentious hack?

Is he a good game designer or a pretentious hack?

Attached: suda51.original.jpg (4032x2468, 1.73M)

Other urls found in this thread:

destructoid.com/suda51-talks-fan-input-the-return-of-shinobu-and-the-assassin-he-wishes-could-return-in-no-more-heroes-3-557152.phtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pretentious hack
everything he made in the last decade sucks

Some of both. When he’s being himself and not pulling punches for (((mainstream audiences))), he’s an amazing game designer and storyteller that can blend a fun and outrageous experience with a deep story. But he has to make money to fund these dreams. Now that people are finding out about his past works thanks to remakes and rereleases, I hope he can make more dream projects without having to slave to the jews.

I don't know if I'd call him a "good" game designer but he's definitely unique and the games he has full creative control over are very thoughtful and memorable.

You'd be right if TSA didn't happen.

His games aren't really the best designed, but he's super based.

Attached: 1558803269375.gif (500x240, 924K)

I want that Kamui shirt

I'd say that his more recent releases have lost all pretension, and they're also worse than his earlier work.

He's a good writer. He's a lousy game maker.

I wouldn't call him a hack lol. He a mediocre director imo. He directed a couple of interesting games but most if his body of work is too derivative

I haven't played any of his games but given his heavy use of immature or "low culture" elements like shitting to save, jacking off the wiimote, extreme violence, exaggerated sexualization, etc. I don't think you can call him pretentious. If he really wanted to be taken seriously as some bastion of high art in games he wouldn't make games with any of that stuff in them, I think he just writes what he thinks is funny or interesting.

Travis Strikes Again is the only game he's directed in the past decade, and the first since No More Heroes

Buhhhh

the very definition of style over substance. Problem is his style is shit.

He's a great game designer. When he's being a designer and not just a producer.

He's one of the few people in the whole industry who cherish playing games and having fun. He found joy in playing games again by playing more indie titles, because he finds the ones he likes more arcadey experiences that remind him of the old ones.

Even if you don't like his games, he's a guy to be respected by how much he loves the medium.

You haven’t played The Silver Case or Killer7, I guess. That game has a lot more serious imagery. No More Heroes has some serious character development, ESPECIALLY in TSA, but it’s also outrageous. That’s what makes Suda so great. He doesn’t bend the knee to being “socially serious” all the fucking time and still can have fun. Seriously though if you think Suda can’t be mature, play The Silver Case.

Great director who is clearly passionate about his work. Who's here hyped for No More Heroes III?

Attached: No More Heroes III.jpg (724x1024, 163K)

Guys it's not Nintendo exclusive anymore, you can stop pretending to hate Suda.

Good character designer, decent writer, but his games have never been "good" in the conventional sense. At the very least, his games actually have the feel of real humans working on them (for better or worse) and not multi-million-dollar data farms.

I’m hyped but also scared. I hope he doesn’t turn Travis into Deadpool. Please keep the nuance he had in TSA, and give him even more crazy development.
If you played chapter 7, Travis also mentions he has a son named Hunter. I’m thinking Hunter might end up being a boss or secondary playable character.

>Is he a good game designer
No, he clearly has no technical skills of his own and relies on gameplay engineers for pure implementation, so they're implemented wonkily, and his ideas are too derivative otherwise.
>or a pretentious hack?
There's nothing pretentious about Grasshopper games, they're deliberately very lowbrow.

He's just kinda there. Mildly interesting games.

im excited. glad i have no idea what to expect from it.
there better be a dan smith fight

Attached: neo.jpg (2560x1440, 296K)

Travis was amazingly well-written in TSA. I have no fear for NMH3.

He's the usual Tarantino who copies other games without really understanding what makes those games good to play at a mechanical level.
His entire production is mediocre at best and barely playable at worst, at the same time, he's a guy who genuinely loves the medium, wants to spread the love and does have above average knowledge of it without being a pompous asshole, so it's almost impossible to hate him.

Even with his worst games like Shadow of the Damned you can see the inspiration behind them and appreciate them for those at least, they're still awful but not the kind of offensively awful that makes you drop them after an hour or so, and the comedic style of the sudaverse is admittedly pretty funny, with some pretty cool looking entries once in a while too like Killer 7 or Killer is Dead.

retard

In an interview, Suda said he'd develop Travis similar to how he did in TSA, what with Travis being more mature after the events of the first two games. He also said he wants to bring back Captain Vladimir, which would be one of the best moments of the game. destructoid.com/suda51-talks-fan-input-the-return-of-shinobu-and-the-assassin-he-wishes-could-return-in-no-more-heroes-3-557152.phtml
Here's the interview if you want to read it.

He's a person who actually tries to create something with a vision even if it's not always a smooth experience.

Attached: Suda's average visit to E3.webm (1920x1080, 1.71M)

For my money, Shadows of the Damned features what may be my favorite visual representation of hell to date. The game itself isn't anything special, but I dig the world it created.

Call him what you will, he's a cool ass dude. He's been to one of my states annual conventions two years in a row and both times he had one of the best panels and would sign your shit and take a pic with you for free.

>He's the usual Tarantino who copies other games without really understanding what makes those games good to play at a mechanical level.
This makes no sense because his best games are unlike anything else on the market. At worst there might be a line referencing another work or even an homage to entire genres but there's often a point to them.

The last time I saw him in person I told him to bring back pick related. If he does that my hype will be through the roof.

Also slid him my VO business card, but I have no expectations he'll use me at all.

Attached: jeane.jpg (570x1050, 92K)

What con?

Suda is cute

Momo in GA, honestly, it's highly likely he'll come back next year too.

I would go to that just to meet Suda.

Go for it, he's based. I also requested Kodaka and Uchi. Lord help us if we can get all three. Hell I'll buy two passes and raffle one off if I get all three of them.

He's a sick (2)chan poster that loves videogames that are really videogames while telling a story that means something to him and the players, he might get carried away sometimes but he means no harm, let him into your hearts anons

Is PC port of Killer 7 worth getting? Or should I stick to the PS2 version?

Definitely good. His games are all full of character, originality and fun. What else do you need?

>Or should I stick to the PS2 version
That's the worst version. If not the PC version (which is perfect except for the fact that it has controller prompts even on keyboard) then you should play the GC version.

And then if you say this about Kojima you're a shill....

>......
Fuck off with that shit please and nobody mentioned Kojima in any way. Although I do think of Kojima in the same way I also believe that he takes his work a little too seriously which comes in contrast with his stories and his writing style. Death stranding will make or break him, we'll see.

Are we talking about him or Kojima

I know, no one mentioned him, but I can't fucking help mentioning him. Every Kojima thread has contrarians shitting on him left and right. I hope DS becomes game of the year just so they can seethe.

Anyways, I missed out on No More Heroes, is that shit good? Do you need to emulate it?

killer is dead is good but im sure some lost in translation

You can pick the first game up on Wii for a pretty good price. No more than 20 bucks. The second game can be pricier, but no more than 50 bucks. Just play them on Wii for the motion controls. It's the best way to play.