Valve is incapable of making something without embarrassing themselves and everyone who buys it

>Valve's superior tracking system is the biggest selling point of their brand new $1000 VR headset
>Their device costs $600 dollars more than the competition
>Valve has been warning customers since 2016 to cover up any reflective surfaces before using their tracking system or the tracking will go berserk
>Apparently Valve forgot about this because they put a highly reflective plastic front cover on their new headset
>It makes the tracking go berserk when you bring the controllers near it
>Makes aiming guns impossible because they keep jumping around
>Retards @ Valve defeated their own 'superior tracking system'

old.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cks9y6/demonstration_of_the_index_frunk_cover_causing/

How could they be this incompetent?

Attached: gabe-newell1.jpg (1257x939, 146K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bhaptics.com/,
youtube.com/watch?v=EYDaIKIoOkw
youtube.com/watch?v=958RC7MQ7sM
steamcharts.com/app/583950
steamcharts.com/app/220
youtu.be/R0qZTS38cjw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: ezgif.com-optimize.gif (328x225, 3.77M)

they could be doing half life 2 episode 3, but instead, they are being sony but instead of censoring stuff they are releasing shit products

Honestly, Steam drones, has Valve made anything successful in the past few years?

>Steam machines? Flop
>Steam controllers? Flop
>SteamOS? Flop
>Steam Link? Flop
>Shartifact? You better believe that was a flop
>Source 2? Not even made to even be a flop
>Steam Videos? Flop
>Steam VR? Fired devs

Literally the only money they have is from rent controlling other peoples games like a corrupt landlord, and that's gonna end soon.

(Reminder Steam drones have never proven me wrong about this list and instead just say things like "NOBODY CARES ABOUT ARTIFACT!!!1")

>has Valve made anything successful in the past few years?
Money

good thing the frunk is removable then

>10 years ago Valve was universally loved for innovating pc gaming
>Introduced the same concepts that destroyed gaming today
How do they do it?

Attached: fuck my life.jpg (680x765, 114K)

You kids do realize you're supposed to take the fucking plastic film off, right?

My Index is working fine, is better than Vive Pro and any Oculus shit that I've seen etc.

>works fine with knuckles controllers
I don't see the problem, the vive controllers are awful by today's standards

Attached: videoplayback.webm (1280x720, 2.84M)

>>Apparently Valve forgot about this because they put a highly reflective plastic front cover on their new headset
The plastic front cover is just a plastic front cover. It doesn't do anything. You can cover it with whatever non refliective front cover you choose.

Easy fix imo. Not even a real issue.

Not the film, retard.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 81K)

>472654370
>it's this copypasta from chink shill yet again
Meh, and here I thought we will have a legit thread discussing volvo's retardation actions.
No (You) for you tho.

>"you're holding it wrong!"
typical valvebrain

If that's the case, couldn't they have just not made it reflective to begin with?

>pay $1000
>have to fix Valve's mistakes

>>Steam VR? Fired devs
what's the story?

Steam itself which only gets better with time.

And I do have the Steam controller... which I used one night to use the Steamlink app on my ipad so I could play a game in bed. Not only was it cool and convient, it was really responsive. So there's that, I suppose.

valve is dead to me until they start developing games that aren't related to dota

don't you disrespect Volvo, those were the strongest cars you could own back in the day

yeah but that's not what happened unfortunately. Still it did not exactly create a dire, solutionless situation.

>back in the day
And they're massive rust buckets today. I mean, they still run, but they're rusty death traps at this point.

Around the time before the index launched they fired contract engineers who were helping them with development, because they were finished with the index and no longer needed them.

and?
go eat a dog or something

Not nowadays though. Their cars are just as crappy as other car companies' cars.
Back to the topic. There needs to be a legit thread for discussing Valve's retardation choices but without spamming 50 cent boys who will derail any discussion because they will be fucked by daddy Xi and his dog Tim otherwise.

well no shit, its an old car, there aren't a lot of low budget ones that survive outside of collectors

That's not firing people, that's the reality of extern contractors. Their contract runs out, and sometimes it doesn't get renewed.

Another success Gabe. Burn more money on you retarded ideas. You had one job. Half Life 3.

Valve is stupid for thinking that vr isn't just a gimmick. Cool that they want to make hardware but fuck off with the vr meme. What about a handheld that plays pc games without streaming? Nooo because "vr is the next big thing"

Attached: 1563886367942.jpg (500x646, 102K)

lol

Attached: valvedrone.jpg (1289x244, 35K)

>implying that wouldn't flop just like the steam machines

>Valve is stupid for thinking that vr isn't just a gimmick.

It's not a gimmick. Just early tech atm that won't get truly big for a few more years largely because of the hardware needed for the PC let alone the VR equipment. give it 5 years and I bet even your faggot ass will have a HMD.

> What about a handheld that plays pc games without streaming?

You want to pay $3k for that? there is no way to make a good handheld for gaming for a reasonable dollar amount without it being a piece of shit. thermal alone makes it a PITA to build a small handheld that will have any real power.

Didnt proton and steam labs drop within the last yearish? How come the chinese always convebiently forget those?

>works fine with its own actual controllers, problem only appears when using coincidentally compatible past generation controller made by a different company
>offending component is designed to be removed at will
>even in the worst case it's still superior to all its competitors, who lose controller tracking completely in the same circumstances

i see the valve hate brigade is as ridiculous as ever

>user makes a thread on Yea Forums mentioning how mot of vavle's recent projects have failed
>Next day most of the VR team gets fired and artifact creator also gets fired
Gabe probably shitposts here and seethed from the thread so hard he went on a firing rampage.

VR is a meme gimmick fad that is already over.

>Valve wastes money on their own pet projects
Meh, it makes them look incompetent, but I lose no money in the process. Maybe they'll learn from their mistakes.

>Steam machines? Flop
true
>Steam controllers? Flop
false
>SteamOS? Flop
true
>Shartifact? You better believe that was a flop
>Source 2? Not even made to even be a flop
they don't make games anymore user.
>Steam Videos? Flop
don't give a shit.
>Steam VR? Fired devs
steam vr is great however...

>Honestly, Steam drones, has Valve made anything successful in the past few years?

Their entire business model now is their game store, so they have some failed experiments and some shit that no one cares about for faggots like you to try and beat people over the head with, I don't understand children like you.

>(Reminder Steam drones have never proven me wrong about this list and instead just say things like "NOBODY CARES ABOUT ARTIFACT!!!1")

That is because no matter what anyone says, faggots like you won't listen, so there is nothing to 'prove'... well other than steam is the most popular PC game store and they make fistfuls of money from it, and it's also the focus of their business.

>reddit

>past generation controller made by a different company
They were designed by Valve themselves.

VR is only a gimmick because the tech isn't there.
It's like saying transpants or the internet is a gimmick.
Granted it would take incredible effort and talent to make it work, but if it does then it's basically a multi-billion dollar payoff. Possibly the greatest moneymaker since the military industrial complex.

Attached: Ricardo Milos part 1.webm (500x280, 1.21M)

gabe is an ass, and we won't be buying things from him again

Attached: Ricardo Milos part 2.webm (500x280, 1.34M)

>reddit
Go back. All fields

>works fine with its own actual controllers
People are complaining about the tracking in that very thread with the new controllers. Don't the new controllers also suffer from a manufacturing defect Valve claims is by design?

>VR is only a gimmick because the tech isn't there.

yes and no, the tech is there, it just costs far too much.

I'v got a vr setup, it works great, it's fun and I use it.

Problem is, games are not there yet because it's so expensive to get into (2k+ PC + VR shit + clear space to use it) so very few games are made, because few games are made, few people buy VR because "there are no games". Classic chicken or egg.

once a current high end PC is at a $500 price point and VR only costs around $200 for better than what we have right now, it will take off huge.... so about 5 to 10 years from now.

>fired
>end of contract
Which was it? Contractors do their job and then leave.

you forgot dota Underlords, which imo is bound to die pretty soon, autochess was just a fad and is already on a decline

Why won't they let VR meme die already? Every Sony presentation is ruined by fucking trash tier VR games. And Valve is just focusing most of its work power into it and it's obviously not working as intended. All i'm trying to say is FUCK VR IT'S TRASH FOR RETARDS

>Why won't they let VR meme die already? Every Sony presentation is ruined by fucking trash tier VR games. And Valve is just focusing most of its work power into it and it's obviously not working as intended. All i'm trying to say is FUCK VR IT'S TRASH FOR RETARDS

And here we see a faggot in the wild who has no idea what they are talking about.

>paying $1K for this

Attached: 1564726722151.jpg (2560x1440, 641K)

>the tech is there
no somatic feedback
no interfacing
The best VR can do now is be a tool for simulation. And that's not very good VR.

I know what I am talking about, Valve always worked in smaller teams. They have really chaotic working enviroment and they have like 70% of all Valve working on VR shit. VR won't ever go mainstream, the hardware isn't there and when it'll be there nobody will give a fuck about it anymore at all since there'll be hoards of trash tier games. Only reason why would anyone ever think that VR could be somehow successful is VRchat.

>Don't the new controllers also suffer from a manufacturing defect Valve claims is by design?
The controllers cost $300 and the analog sticks don't click in every direction.

Attached: 1564581726331.jpg (1875x901, 117K)

>steam machines that runs loonix, the one OS with nogaems

What were they thinking

Attached: pls respond.jpg (958x408, 61K)

Attached: 00er0gf.png (300x250, 24K)

Steam link is good

>no somatic feedback
>no interfacing

They have been experimenting with ways to implement this stuff. again it comes down to cost.

>Valve always worked in smaller teams.

yea, valve seems to work on a "do what you want" basis with their company. somthing about moving their fucking desks and all lol.

> VR won't ever go mainstream, the hardware isn't there and when it'll be there nobody will give a fuck about it anymore at all since there'll be hoards of trash tier games. Only reason why would anyone ever think that VR could be somehow successful is VRchat.

man, you have not played pavlov. That game shows me that VR can easily work once the bugs are worked out and shit is refined. it will go mainstream once cost comes down and games start being made. yes there is a lot of shovelware but you can say the same for phones.

I doubt il ever change your mind though lol. only time will truly tell.

Attached: rRjSN7w.jpg (4032x2268, 2.76M)

>They have been experimenting with ways to implement this stuff
In a very limited way and always as a gimmick. Cost is not the problem, it's just that it's not being done.

>Cost is not the problem

no, i'v seen many full body rigs like pic related being experimented with, but no one is going to pay $5k for that.

Cost and space is the issue for the current tech, if / when they are able to shrink it down into something more akin to a jacket, which they are working on, and get the tech cheap enough, it will come out. (here is an example bhaptics.com/, though it's crude)

The issue you have is VR tech is crude compared to most other tech that is out right now, but remember, we are only really 30 years into computers as we know them today. VR tech is basically computers from the 60's and 70's at this point.

Attached: axonvr-render-jump.jpg (1366x768, 111K)

Full body rigs are a clumsy and stupid way to implement somatic feedback.
Even just a simple BCI would make it so the brain can adapt and interpret the game experience on its own. In theory you wouldn't even need a feedback mechanism, just a way to interpret brain activity on a semi-precise level, since the brain will trick itself into believing the simulated body is real, and since it can control it, it will feel real. They already made a prototype helmet a few years back but since it was extracranial with very little receptors it didn't work very well.

>Full body rigs are a clumsy and stupid way to implement somatic feedback.

wow, it's almost like I inferred that from what I posted in the fact that no one is going to buy it...

>Even just a simple BCI would make it so the brain can adapt and interpret the game experience on its own. In theory you wouldn't even need a feedback mechanism, just a way to interpret brain activity on a semi-precise level, since the brain will trick itself into believing the simulated body is real, and since it can control it, it will feel real. They already made a prototype helmet a few years back but since it was extracranial with very little receptors it didn't work very well.

I don't know how many people will get an implant to use a BCI, though there is a shitload of research in that respect anway, mostly for the crippled to use robot arms. No reason that tech can't be crossed once it's in it's prime, that said I don't think il ever want a implant for just gaming unless we get to the point of a full dive like idea.

so again, your complaint is that the tech is crude.... what is your actual argument? this shit is all being researched.

chinese people aren't innovative since the Yuan dynasty raped the han out of existence

keep seething fpstranny

Attached: 1537103881718.jpg (800x600, 144K)

My original point was that nobody is doing it. That still stands and it would take considerable research and trials to make it happen.
Cost-wise it would be cheap. Probably on the same level as a visit to the dentist if you had dedicated professionals doing it.

>Cost-wise it would be cheap.
highly doubt. We are talking about basically brain surgery.

>crying on Yea Forums will fix it

lmao just wait till vr becomes affordable and good in 2025

lmao just wait till neuralink becomes affordable and good in 2049

Corrections:
>Steam machines?: Flop
>Steam Controlllers: Success
>SteamOS: Flop
>Steam Link: Good idea, but flop
>Shartifact?: You betta' berieve thats a ding dong floppu
>Source 2: Unproven yet because it's been mostly used in their VR games and a version of Dota 2.
>Steam Videos: Actual Flop.
>Steam VR: Success, fired devs were freelancers that finished their work and were told to leave since they were done. Usual business.
Pretty much every product Valve has shipped out has either been a good idea but not well received or just shit that no one asked for. Who the fuck asked for SteamOS or a Steam Machine? Steam Videos? No one asked for those at all. Of course, I was still retarded to buy Ash Vs. Evil Dead Season 1 on Steam to watch.

But Steam VR is good, and the Steam Controller works really well from my time using it. Source 2 could be good or bad, it's just the engine and from what it shows in it's code it'll work well.

But Artifact? flop of the decade.

Attached: 13534306_794563107345972_831426924_n.jpg (996x996, 65K)

no hence the constant desperate deflection from steam cultists about tim sweeney and china

>no hence the constant desperate deflection from steam cultists about tim sweeney and china

fucking lol, you cultists need to drink your poison lased kool aid while you give all your info to china.

lmao

Ironically, it's funof for the industry that valve is doing this experimenting. They're wasting time and money doing this, see what doesn't and does work, what might work soonish, and everyone else can just copy them once they've spent all the money on the research part.

Brain surgery is a lot less dangerous than it seems, especially with new techniques. Ideally you'd obviously want to work in contact with the brain, but I can see just a cranial implant working without the risk of exposing brain matter.
I mean it is brain surgery but you can make anything safe even jumping out of planes for sport.

I'm not a fan of Epics tactics but honestly, fuck Valve. Why can't they just make games people want to play. They worked hard to be where they're at but last couple of years they've been so damn complacent and lazy. They just sit on the top of the mountain and ain't doing shit because they don't have to. I understand they won't make HL3 because the hype would be impossible to live up to. But where is L4D3? Portal 3? Anything? If Epic Store takes off Valve will have part of the blame.

VRfag here, count SteamVR to be a flop. It's barely usable, SteamVR is shit that barely sees any updates, Index is trash, amateur hour tech (joysticks don't click, dust cover on the headset causes tracking issues), they made absolutely no effort to port a single game to VR. I feel like Valve hates video games.

Anyone can make games. And guaranteed people would bitch about the result if Valve did.
It's not worth it, better to fail a hundred experimental things than to make yet another average game.
Although I wouldn't mind them twisting arms to bring more ports.

>they don't make games anymore user.
well they still lie about making them.

Attached: aids.png (456x300, 76K)

>fired
>contract
You do know what contract work means, right? They finished the job, they finished the contract.

don't forget to take the controllers apart and add a tiny bit of solder so the thumbsticks actually click. That will be 350$ plus tax plus tip.

I'd be more inclined to buy something like that than a handheld console that offer shit for games and nothing other than that.

Attached: GPD_Win-Face_View-Open_and_Running_Windows_10.jpg (300x369, 24K)

>no sound
????? what do you want to achieve here little buddy?

You wanna try that again?

>They have really chaotic working enviroment and they have like 70% of all Valve working on VR shit
If that's the case then they're the most incompetent bunch of wankers ever. SteamVR Home has been trash and it didn't change a thing since I bought Vive in May '18.

Attached: 1564741574438.png (1322x1096, 1.07M)

They probably realized everyone else is also retarded so the less they do the better for them in the long run.

They won't release it. The year will end with no mention of this new game. Maybe in 2020, when someone asks Valve where the game is, they'll say it's been delayed and that will be the last of it.

>reddit
stay there

>472669395
>It's not worth it, better to fail a hundred experimental things than to make yet another average game.
Most of their successful games started as mods. VR has next to no games that allow easy modding and total conversions like Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2 did. It doesn't take much to connect the dots together, but they probably don't have anyone who could make an engine better than Unity or Unreal Engine 4. Boneworks, which they seem to have ties with is running on Unity too, or so I heard. Valve is fucked, they're too retarded to do anything worthwhile.

yeah, I have no expectations towards Valve anymore. Really wish they got into financial trouble, I don't give a shit about my Steam library anymore.

Gaben and his retarded Steam drone fanboys thought Artifact was going to be a success too

What else is new?

Attached: 1544409250805.jpg (1275x676, 115K)

>Gyro controls allows for the closest thing to mouse aiming accuracy in consoles and can shape how FPS's are played in consoles
>Nobody gives a shit
>VR has been proven time and time again to be a very niche product that has only ever improved a very small amount of games and is generally either unnecessary or is downright a detriment
>Valve and other companies still push it
Why?
VR is literally going to be the new Wii. A gimmick that is the best option to play a handful of games and the worst way to play every other time.

Attached: come on.png (500x375, 251K)

he doesn't look too good

>Garfield
Now where could my players be...

But STEAM!!!!!!!!!!!! User reviews! Shopping carts!

VALVE FTW!!!!!!

>Steam Controlllers: Success
I remember a lot of people buying it but it came out with "meh" reviews and totally forgot about it's existence since.

Can it really be a success if it only sold very well in the initial month and then quickly forgotten into the void?

In typical Valve fashion, they just dropped it and forgot about it. From what I've heard a lot of people didn't even know about functions like gyro or input mapping.

Valve wanted to release new iterations of the controller. I remember someone saying that in one of Valve's Steam Dev Days. They just dropped it like they always drop everything that isn't a global success

VR is just the arcade. Do you need HotD in your home? No. Is your life objectively better with a HotD cabinet? Absolutely.

>handheld that plays pc games without streaming
manchild detected

Really can't see them pushing Index any further, too. I'll be surprised if later knuckles batches are improved in any way.

i just got the index last week and since pavlov's is the only game that's really any lasting fun in VR i've been playing the shit out of it

anyway, index works fine in pavlov's. aiming works great and the controller tracking while reloading is surprisingly precise.

>Why?
I'm sure VR makes a fuckton of money for each set sold.

>aiming works great and the controller tracking while reloading is surprisingly precise.
Lighthouse tracking is precise, but it isn't even slightly accurate. Hold your controllers together, then turn 360 degrees. Marvel as your controllers clip in and out of each other.

Think this isn't an issue? Well, the same thing happens when you try and aim down a gunsight, and then attempt to move your arm and your head together.

The Steam controller is great and the auto recommendation has also been awesome.

What did you use before? I'm on the fence with getting an Index. Mostly for the 120/144Hz and audio, also would be nice to have a tethered headset for sims. I'm still topping higscores with a Vive, and I assume a fair chunk of /vrg/ moved to Index, so I don't really feel like I'm at a disadvantage with Pavlov.

The simple truth is that valve is out of touch even more so than other companies even ubisoft and ea

Everyone except Microsoft added Gyro to their controllers. Valve in particular did their best to make sure you could use it in games where the developer did not intend to support it. The problem is that people don't understand it and there is no reason for developers to force it on people when games will sell just as well without it. Developers actually have added support on the Switch when people asked for it. Also, games that would work well with gyro would also work well in VR. All of the games that would not work well in VR would also not benefit from gyro. In both cases, you can always just use a different control method. You can't call one a gimmick without saying the same thing about the other.

I gotta say there's a lot more bad tracking ever since I moved from wands to knuckles on OG Vive.
Knuckles are still better because they don't have TV remote ergonomics, but overall I'd put them right next to wands in the trash if Occulus made old Touch SteamVR ready.

Proton has been great.

Third person shooters like Splatoon work well with Gyro but would be shit in VR without changing them to FPS or replacing a shit ton of mechanics.

HOLY SHIT
i had noticed the reflective material but i thought "wow they just can't be this stupid, maybe they improved it on the new iteration"

and that together with the fake claims from 2 years ago that they had "fixed" all tracking fuggery due to reflections by software, that was a blatant LIE!!

btw for those who don't know lighthouse tracking is a technological dead end. pic related is the only kind of tracking that has virtually NO occlusion, and will work under any circumstances. but sadly no such devices were ever released for consumers, it would solve every single problem for those of us who play shooters

Attached: STEM-System-by-Sixense.jpg (600x304, 62K)

Valvecucks getting BTFO ITT

I don't know how can you be a Pcbro anymore without being a complete Reddit fuckboi. In the last couple of years they made a lot to make sure they can't be mistake for the company they were in the 90's and 00's.

Why are Valvecucks so cringe to begin with?

Attached: steam exclusive.jpg (1426x752, 171K)

I honestly thought they were waiting to release a new Half life game so it could be really high quality VR. I am not mad or disappointed, just confused.

Touch controllers are technically better in terms of accuracy, they're just not as good at fast movement.

Quick rundown? First time I see this. SteamVR's only strength at this point is ability to play in the dark and FBT.
And FBT is meaningless with one broken tech demo supporting it and one shitty anti-social app that also broke it with networked IK.

>It makes the tracking go berserk when you bring the controllers near it
I have an index and this doesn't happen.

Most of them still think they're the same company that made The Orange Box, TF2 and shit.

At worst, the controls are just reduced to two degrees of freedom aiming since it would be tough to take advantage of full position tracking. You would still get the benefit of better depth perception. I don't see any issue with playing 3rd person games in VR. I've tried emulated Gamecube games and they work fine even with a camera that was not intended to be used with VR. With a bit of effort, they would work even better. The main issue is if depth perception without being able to take advantage of full controller tracking is more valuable than resolution, but that will be solved with future HMDs.

you forgot half-life user

I think they gave that idea up, they simply don't have the brainpower to do that. Maybe if Unity/UE4 wouldn't be a thing they'd manage to do some impressive hackjob like Bethesda to get Source up and running on VR, but they probably don't want to bother knowing they can't get to that level.
youtube.com/watch?v=EYDaIKIoOkw
It's a long video, but it's interesting, basically this is what Valve *still* can do.

I hate people like Valve who waste money on "fun" when they should be making shit for the consumer instead. I wish every single dev at Valve was a slave working solely in the interest of the consumer, with a slave driver like Bobby Kotick watching over them to ensure that they don't step out of the line to not exclusively make video games.

I've tried to play Senua and it was just pointless exercise in VR, plus despite having the whole VR legs and multiple 4+ hour sessions of Pavlov to prove it, camera spinning when I sit down is barf city for me.

You can still show at least a little good faith to your fans.

I wish everyone at Valve got cancer so Valve disappeared and we never have to hear about them ever again.

I want to kiss, marry, cuddle, love, grow old with sweest Vive Twink Bradly

Attached: QuestTwink.png (1920x1080, 1.71M)

they were supposed to be ship electromagnetic tracking controllers and trackers, but the company behind the project abandoned their kickstarter, and later sold their tech

if you have the money buy a razer hydra just for testing purposes, it is so much joy to use that thing, it has no drift, no occlusion, it works literally anywhere, even behind walls, it is butter smooth tracking from the moment you turn that on, zero issues. and that stem controller was supposed to be like the hydra but solve its core issues by being wireless, increasing the reach, and delivering a much smaller latency, and that would make it viable for VR

I mean, that's would be okay too, but I'd rather see a large spectacle of false-flags on Yea Forums after every piece of news.
They can burn like KyoAni too, though.

Thing is; Valve despise us. They hate us because there's some among us who don't slavishly worship them, something that Valve simply cannot accept. As far as Valve is concerned, they're gods and we're sheep, which is why they're insulted when there's people among us who're not sheeps. That's why Valve don't show even a little good faith; they hate us for not being mindless slaves.

>if you have the money buy a razer hydra just for testing purposes
it's not expensive, but is it a completely abandoned tech like Novint Falcon, or can it be repurposed to work with shit like Steam Controller?

I never had tracking issues with my Index. I have windows on 2 sides of the room and a fairly large shelf with a glass door. The windows are behind curtains so I guess they wouldn't be much of a problem, but the glass door has always been completely exposed. I guess I'll take the cover off if it ever causes issues.

>they could be based but instead there cringe
fixed

> issue doesn't happen with the knuckles
> easily solved by removing the frunk

Attached: shrug slut.jpg (1024x966, 78K)

yeah it is abandoned. you can use it as a regular controller, that how most people used it before VR, but it isn't good for any of those applications, it is just the technology it uses that is good and i would pay fucking 1000usd for a good VR controller that improves on what the hydra delivered

Attached: hydra.png (974x499, 437K)

I was able to play Mario Sunshine at less then 60 fps and other graphical glitches for over an hour. It wasn't enjoyable under those conditions and I was mostly playing it just to see if I could, but it never made me feel sick. I feel confident I could play Splatoon and any other game if it could hold a decent frame rate. It is hard to get a good handle on this since everyone is different, but I find it hard to believe that I have unique top tier resistance to VR. Maybe other people simply don't make an effort to push past what they initially think is uncomfortable?

>Who the fuck asked for SteamOS or a Steam Machine?
Microsoft. They started working on linux stuff because Microsoft threatened to close windows as platform for developers and essentially force everyone to use windows store. They pretty swiftly reversed their plans, due to REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE from a lot of software companies and probably from authorities as well. While SteamOS is a flop, stuff coming out of it like proton works on other linux distributions. Steam Machines, its side effects have been far better nVidia drivers for linux. Generally Steam Machine was a good idea, a console like PC that idiots can just buy and expect it work just out of box without any tweaking. It was just implementation that they fucked up. They should have went for just two models to keep client confusion at minimum. Cheap version and higher performance more expensive version. That would have allowed some benefits of consoles on certain PC configurations, higher degree of software optimization to certain hardware.

oh no no no no no

I'd have to do some digging it seems to get a pair of them, looks like it's the piece of tech that separets real early adopter enthusiasts from plebs like me that waited for Vive. Your post got me curious though.
Gonna read up more about this STEM system. I think '19 will be a deciding year for this gen of VR. If nothing good will happen by the end of it, it will go into dormant stand-by mode where it will be only recommended by fellow simmers for fellow simmers.
What roomscale MP VRFPS games we've had had been ruined with the updates or realization that the devs are retarded, so I can't really even recommend it for that. What's good will still be here in 5 years, so might as well until then.

>Pcbro
NANI

part of Orange Box :^)

Platform warring catchphrases either get filtered or get detected as spam to prevent being posted

Didn't expect them to go all the way and filter Valve_Drone.
Rather based if I dare say so myself.

test
blizz drone
blizzard drone

>buying literal prototype VR
god I fucking hate rich people

>early adopter enthusiasts
exactly. people would use it to add positional tracking on the oculus dk1, to hold objects, etc.. and even with its high latency it is still manageable, you just won't be able to do anything crazy like roomscale and turning around. never even thought i would own one of these, if anything i always hated it as a controller and couldn't stand anyone shilling it, i only bought it for VR

>VR
>Rich people
Even in my shithole of a country it's only a month's wage.
>b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b--b-b-b-b-b-b-b--but you need a good PC
Imagine not having a gayman pc and coming to Yea Forums. The only casual filter is how much space can you have for VR, but it's not like most games really need roomscale to be playable.

Attached: garbage wand.webm (1280x720, 492K)

That's literally the point of contractors retard

Imagine buying a product just to throw it in the trash.
Did he buy another one after or did he lick off the garbagy goodness and use it again?

>"it's only a month's wage"
Imagine using this fucking argument
"a month's wage"
It literally costs TWO months worth of rent
it literally costs more than an old second hand car
it literally costs more than three to four months worth of food
it literally costs more than 1-2 trips abroad
it literally costs more than buying not one, not two, but up to THREE videogame consoles
it literally costs about as much as a decent new PC

It looks like a fresh trash bag with some crumpled paper towels in there. The controller basically even had something to cushion its landing.

sure, but the insurance is going to cost whomever runs the clinic quite a bit and that will drive the price way up.

the hardware itself will prob be cheap, the operation will have to be fairly cheap to get mass appeal, but until they do a few million installs without issue insurance is going to be a fucking bitch.

>but up to THREE videogame consoles
There are more VR games I want to at least try than there are exclusives on PS4, Xbone and Switch put together.

>SteamVR to be a flop. It's barely usable,

I'v had 0 issue with it. do tell.

The bottom of the bin is padded with clean napkins, he most likely fished it right back out after ending the recording

I don't giive a fuck about consoles either, I merely used them as a cost comparison, not things "i'd rather buy"

>Steam
>better with time

Lol what? Steam is a fucking mess now. I leave it off as much as I can and I wish I could launch it in “I don’t give a fuck about your social media features just let me play my games” mode for games that use steam DRM

Tencent marketer thread.

Liar, true VRfags knows that SteamVR is a complete and utter failure.

Fuck off retard.

Here is the sound-
youtube.com/watch?v=958RC7MQ7sM

Hello, Chang. How many social credit points are you getting for this? Hint: it's not enough wasting your precious time on this shithole. Go to facebook where you'll have a better time promoting the glorious leader's videogame distribution platform.

Proton is just wine and DXVK duct taped to steam, I’d hardly call it a valve product. It’s nice and all but Lutris is going to work better and not force you to use steam.

>but if it does then it's basically a multi-billion dollar payoff. Possibly the greatest moneymaker since the military industrial complex

VR shills are absolutely delusional holy shit

It has quite a lot of useful features. The VR support is one thing, but the controller support with rebinding options is excellent, family sharing is amazing since you can play games from friends' libraries with no limits, remote play is also a nice feature which I've used a lot. There are minor but nice features too, like cloud saves, the built-in voice chat sounds (surprisingly) good, community controller profiles, Workshop is very convenient and no questions asked refunds are also really nice.

I'm not sure what exactly is a mess, those features were added over time and most certainly made Steam better to use.

>I’d hardly call it a valve product
I'm pretty sure Valve is literally paying the DXVK guy, or at least have done so in the past.

I have an Index and its the best VR on the market, really dont understand why all you poor people with no money havent bought one yet, its so much fun kewl see you in the cyberspace xoxoxxo

Pretty sure it was already confirmed that Valve Index is just a scam.

I played a hackjob mod to make HL2 into a VR game. Worked very well except the airboat part made me kinda sick. That was on the oculus DK1 with razer hydra controllers too.

I have never used a single one of those features and would rather not have to deal with a bloated, ad filled launcher everytime I want to play certain games

I played HL2VR in my DK1 + hydras. Was great overall.

played TF2 as well when they added VR support. I'v got my DK1 and hydra in a closet somewhere now and a vive hooked up.

It's true though.
Military.
Industry.
Entertainment.
Small business.
Labor.
Marketing.
It touches literally anything to do with humans using computers, and even fields that don't currently use computers. People who wouldn't use the implementation of VR I'm talking about would be worse off than people who refuse to use computers.
They'd be an entirely different species cut off from reality.
Computers have been around for what very soon will be a century. To truly connect them with the human mind would be the greatest evolutionary step since mammals started to develop language.

That's nice, I use most of them frequently.

>The VR support is one thing,
What do you mean be support? Steam VR is a separate application and that’s all you really need except for the fact that valve forces you to also run steam for drm purposes

>but the controller support with rebinding options is excellent,
I’ve never had any issues with using a controller on pc so I don’t know what problem this is meant to solve. Also ishygd use controllers on pc

>family sharing is amazing since you can play games from friends' libraries with no limits,
You could do that if always online drm didn’t become a thing but here we are. Create a problem then sell you the solution

>remote play is also a nice feature which I've used a lot.
It’s ok but there are 1000 other options that work as well or better

>There are minor but nice features too, like cloud saves, the built-in voice chat sounds (surprisingly) good, community controller profiles, Workshop is very convenient and
More shit I’ll never use

>no questions asked refunds are also really nice.
That they had to get sued to implement and fought to their last breath to prevent from happening

cool

>It literally costs TWO months worth of rent
umm user, rent around here starts at $800 a month and average pay is double that.
it's one to less than one month if you have anything bigger than a studio.
>it literally costs more than an old second hand car
What kind of failure of a car costs less than a grand? Anything running is worth more than that.
>it literally costs more than three to four months worth of food
more than that lol, unless you eat out every day.
>it literally costs more than 1-2 trips abroad
I wish I could pay just a grand for a trip abroad. 2 way flight's and hotel costs more than that.
>it literally costs more than buying not one, not two, but up to THREE videogame consoles
most consoles suck though.
>it literally costs about as much as a decent new PC
$1k, Decent? kek.

I don't know what to tell you user, but I have knives that are worth more than my vive.

Attached: JkPnrCU.jpg (3024x4032, 1.25M)

>true VR fags

bro, I have a DK1 with razer hydra and is my current rig.

Tell me what issues you have had, because I have had none.... then again I am not utter shit with electronics and built the rig in that picture, along with the server sitting next to my PC.

>my knives
Hey Gabe, don't you have some other work to do, instead of shilling your shitty VR goggles?

its a vive wand so the touchpad was probably broken from 5 minutes of use, rendering it completely unusable. he probably tried HTC support to get it fixed but they told him to fuck off, so he threw it out.

what kind of shitty poorfag minimum wage pablo ricardo uma delicia under the table underpaid mexican wetback sweatshop do you work in?

Fuck off, Artifact was good

Why is he trying to ram the scope into his eyes. Does nobody know how to use a fucking rifle anymore.

kek, no im not shilling anything. just laughing at the poorfags.

Attached: 06fqFOY.jpg (4032x2268, 2.39M)

I had someone in pavlov ask me "how do you shoot so well" lol.

Pic related, that is how I shoot so well.

Attached: IdcWcdn.jpg (2016x1120, 524K)

pavlov is shitter babby casual tier.

ok, what is better then?

Ah my fellow /K/ommando

>To truly connect them with the human mind would be the greatest evolutionary step since mammals started to develop language

Goddamn why do you people always sound like fucking cultists

Technological advances don’t make for multi-billion dollar consumer products, sorry. Strapping yourself in to some theoretical brain-jack rig just to do simple computing tasks is inconvenient as hell and it’s never going to replace basic point and clicking except for gimmicky shit for neets that use to escape the real world.

The iphone didn’t make a trillion dollars because it was a massive leap forward in technology, it was lapped up by normies because it’s convenient to use and didn’t take them away from the real world. Even perfect theoretical sci-fi vr is the exact opposite of what normie consumers want, sorry

honestly what's wrong with valve just becoming a game store? I like steam and gaben has said some based things before
maybe it's because I never really payed attention to this shit because it's so disconnected from the games themselves which is what I actually care about
also steam controller wasn't a flop, and it's good for some things, and the controller support steam provides is the better than anything else

onward, contractors.

>invest in trying new things
FUCKING FAGGOTS LMAO
>invest in buying out developers to lock them up in your store
BASED BASED BASED YASS COMPETITION

ineed, yall know me for my PIAT.

have not tried contractors. Could not get into onward. il check out contractors.

Attached: vD9wyt9.jpg (4032x2268, 1.06M)

>spend 5 years telling people they'll need to remove all reflective services in their room
>retards keep ignoring it and spamming us for help
>make cover reflective to force braindeads to realize they need to remove all reflectives
>they think we (((forgot)))

Attached: gi1fnpxillc31.jpg (399x399, 16K)

>sell you the solution
It's literally free retard-kun

i dont remember anyone shilling for artifact ever

>Valve investing in shit that has nothing to do with video games is bad and Epic investing in video games is good
WOW.
Who would have thought?

So you mean to tell me that the people hired to do [specific job] left after they finished doing [specific job]? Wowzers.

Yeah steam machines themselves may have flopped but Linux gaming has advanced light years from the fallout. Half my shit runs better on Linux now for fucks sake

>>invest in buying out developers to lock them up in your store
Are you claiming Valve doesn't do this? Because the majority of games Valve has released they didn't make, they bought. They've also purchased multiple developers. One they shut down right after their game was released. It was purely an IP acquisition venture.

As long as you buy your license to play the game from steam so valve gets their cut

Developing tech just for video games is what consoles get you to you fucking faggot.
They hired the developers that weren't even actual developers and were mod makers, it is nowhere near the same thing.
I agree that they should put more resources towards them instead of making trash like Artifact but that is besides the point.

Bro I'm the most down to earth guy you'll ever meet.
It wouldn't even be a "jack in" process in which you'd need to induce an REM state in the human brain and potentially fuck up vital brain chemistry. You'd just have the classic headset with brain-computer interfacing. You would think to move the arm of the avatar and it would move. Yes the brain is that plastic and versatile. It would potentially directly tap into human imagination.
It's not even science-fiction, all you need for this to work is 90's experimental neurological tech and some basic programming skills. But you're right in saying that marketing, public opinion and image are important. That's why you take a multi-billion dollar company like Valve or Google and turn your efforts to those avenues. Most technological advances are coincidence and effort, not some magic formulas.

>Steam drones have never proven me wrong about this list
There's nothing to prove wrong because this is a pasta, so no matter if anyone even tries, you'll just keep posting it on different threads.

>They hired the developers that weren't even actual developers and were mod makers, it is nowhere near the same thing.
Most of those mod makers were professional devs. Amateurs can't achieve what they did. Besides, why is it okay to take free mods, buy out the mod makers and then start selling those mods but not okay to buy out devs to sell their games?

>handheld that plays pc games without streaming
So, like a tiny gaming laptop (lol) without a keyboard and gamepad controls on the side? For what purpose? Just get a Switch or some such then.

How about you keep Reddit on Reddit, you humongous faggot.

It's almost like Valve's doing that think that companies used to do called investing in new things instead of just stagnating into what they do best. It sucks that they fail, but everything they've been doing so far is R&D things that make gaming more accessible and conveninent, while trying some hand at pushing new gaming tech forward.

Not everything is a success, but does it have to be? Microsoft released a touchscreen tablet like, a decade before Apple, and it floped hard, nobody gave a shit. Not tons of companies have a touch screen tablet. Someone could take Valve's ideas and iterate on them to make a better more advanced and improved product.

Because they aren't hiring them it's just a contract, they are also hurting smaller stores like GoG.
They are also fostering anti-consumer practices and the practitioners that by all accounts should fail but won't.
Has any of the modmakers that valve hired go on tirades about hating gamers and telling them to fuck off or that they don't need the costumers?

retarded frogposter.

I have a vitrines with mirrors and the tracking is fine.
Why would I care what some redditfag claims that can't even post a thread without making a typo for a simple word like 'front'?

>Has any of the modmakers that valve hired go on tirades about hating gamers and telling them to fuck off or that they don't need the costumers?
Yes. Valve bought the people behind Firewatch. They've done such rants.

>contract engineers
>fired

I found the teenager

fuck off orb

You got me there.

You don't have to worry about recoil in VR. Resolution is shit if you use it accurately, jamming the scope up your eyeballs is the way to go most of the time.

This is what excess success does to you.

Valve has literally no heart in ANYTHING because they know at the end of the day their failures do not matter.

Do you not understand what disposable income is?
Get a fucking job that pays you more than letting you live from hand to mouth.

I genuinely enjoy my Vive but other than that the last good thing Valve made was in 2011.

My Steam Controller just collects dust. My TV and my Nvidia Shield have Steam Link built in.

Do you have any examples of these brain-computer interfaces that were made in the 90's? Was it something actually inserted into the brain? More recent technology you would use outside of your head can't do what you are describing, so I find it a bit hard to believe.

The problem is that Valve are incompetent when it comes to R&D. They should exclusively focus on making video games and leave R&D to those who actually knows what the fuck they're doing like Microsoft and Nintendo.

Jump off a cliff child.

Doesn't even begin to compare to this

Attached: 1564760150216.png (1175x176, 36K)

Epic is restricting pc-games market. Valve is investing shit like turning linux into viable competition to windows with stuff like proton and vulkan. They are also investing in developing proper drivers to operating systems other than windows.

Ironically Tim Sweeney of epic was one that REEEEEEEEEEEEE'd probably harder than Valve when MS was threatening to fuck up entire software distribution on windows few years ago. Anti-competitive and anti-consumer bullshit. Shit Epic is doing right now by all means. I have nothing against Epic setting up their own distribution platform, but it should have been at least somewhat comparable to Steam in features when it was launched.

It is pretty ironic how things worked out on linux side of gaming in recent years. In addition what Valve has done and started. You know, PS4 is essentially x86 with Radeon GPU's built on same chip as CPU's... it runs Sony's proprietary FreeBSD fork with some very proprietary software, but development of that has probably transferred more than bit on AMD's linux drivers as well.

welp, congrats on moving out I guess.
>it literally costs more than an old second hand car
not accepting a car cheaper than a VR system even for free. Cars are a fucking money sink, and especially cheap second hand ones. VR is one and done deal unless you're unlucky.
>it literally costs more than three to four months worth of food
Okay, tough shit. Things cost money.
>it literally costs more than 1-2 trips abroad
You don't need those. Travelling is normie tier. Will you say it costs more than weed and booze next?
>it literally costs more than buying not one, not two, but up to THREE videogame consoles
Oh boy, three shitty devices with press X to awesome libraries, I'm having regrets here.
>it literally costs about as much as a decent new PC
Decent PCs cost twice as much.

>Valve is investing shit like turning linux into viable competition to windows with stuff like proton and vulkan. They are also investing in developing proper drivers to operating systems other than windows.
I don't see video games anywhere in that sentence. Valve need to stop doing anything that isn't directly related to making video games.

>but it should have been at least somewhat comparable to Steam in features when it was launched.
Features that matter:
>being able to buy games
Features that don't matter:
>60 different layers of social media garbage

Epic is already miles ahead of what Steam was like when it launched, but being a zoomer you don't remember the days of pissed off CS players.

Why do you reply to such obvious shitposts by some faggot trying to get Yous and start a flamewar.
Report and move on.

Why?

0/10

Because nobody ever wanted Valve to do anything that has nothing to do with video games.

Wow, you should tell Epic not to work on the dozens of planned features on their roadmap then.

I don't give a fuck what that dogshit company does. I just think it's fucking hilarious that zoomies like yourself are whining about some utterly worthless "features" that are somehow the difference between life and death for you.

Can you buy the game? Yes. The only "feature" that's missing, the one you really want, is being able to add the game to your steam library so everything is neat and organised in your little zoom-zoom collection of rented games.

Listen, go back to watching youtube videos and leave the thinking to others.

Gaming on linux is a viable thing due to proton and much better drivers that now come from even nVidia. Also Vulkan is totally unrelated to gaming. Yes. Right.

Features that matter for customers. Forums, verifiable customer reviews, even their support is better than Epics as far as I know and list probably could go on. Those fucking forums usually offer better support for games than their developers own forums and FAQ pages, a lot of indie games actually use steam forums as their main forum with active participation from developers.

Yes, I remember what kind of shitshow Steam was on its early days. It took some time to get Steam into what it is today. Over the years Valve has proven itself to be the lesser evil when it comes to game storefronts.

You are probably 10 years old. Thats where your cognitive abilities are at anyway

>zoomers having huge collections of steam games
Your brain isn't working very well, is it?

>vaIvedrone thinks it has a right to exist

Who gives a fuck? It's not like they kickstarted HL3 and failed to deliver it. They're a bunch of dicks but I respect them trying to move to different things, especially if they use their endless supply of money for research and funding stuff they're researching rather than shitting up the market with anti-consumer practices like Intel or Epic.

Valve are already being far worse than Epic could ever be by not making video games.

Well intracranial EEG is a lot more precise. It's not used in initial diagnosis since obviously it's time-consuming and invasive.
In treatment of seizures often the procedure consists of brain stimulation and reading of the resulting activity using electrodes placed directly on the brain tissue. Not a problem since you're already operating on the brain.
The development of those procedures went on from as early as the 50's to today. I said the 90's because since then the technology has progressed much more slowly mainly because it was already pretty advanced.

But he procedure I'm proposing is much more benign. It would involve implantation of electrodes on the surface of the brain tissue through a burr hole using precise instruments and since no surgical diagnosis is needed it would be universally the same. Basically, it would just be an autonomous EEG that takes readings (preferably wireless) from your brain. From there the sky is the limit. You have a precise enough tool to do anything you want assisted by computers.

This is what happens when companies are free of basically ll market pressures - they stop making things people want because they don't need to care about making money.

>far worse than the people that dropped unreal so they can focus on milking money from 10 year olds
Yeah, no.

>Valve are already being far worse than Epic could ever be by not making video games.
Says you. It's for the best nu-Valve couldn't make a decent game to save their life.

Attached: 207b366148b13d178e541096d1e81ec3.jpg (1280x905, 117K)

Fuck off retard,
they were all comparisons, not invitations for you to flaunt your shitty opinions.
Having money doesn't mean you have to use it like a retard
Also find me a single game that demands a 2k pc to play, I'll wait.
Even your autistic obsession to have 3x more power on your computer is still a better money sink than a fucking 1k pricetag VR set.
It's not like I can't afford it, it's just that feel contempt towards people who are buying literal prototype VR.

If you're so well off that it's not a "month's wage" for you, then you're free to buy one and be a retarded enthusiast, but if it's a month's wage, then you're a dumbass who can't manage his spending. (except of course if your life is that terrible and you have no other interests than vr escapism)

And that's what Steam has always done best -- find someone doing something cool and throw them some money and time. They run into trouble with being an "ongoing concern". The only reason they succeed as a business is that their platform locks them in as much as it does their users.

For most parts Epic has been a subpar gaming company that literally had an engine to license to other developers. Unreal engine is their only actual contribution to gaming since UT2003.

Some of the shitstorms related to Epic Games Store are because the company is anti-consumer as fuck.

>especially if they use their endless supply of money for research and funding stuff they're researching rather than shitting up the market with anti-consumer practices
Ah yes, like the worthless Linux shit they're messing with to try and escape MS, or the awful VR garbage that barely works, with 1000 dollar headsets going out with basic design flaws. Or perhaps you want to talk about their underage gambling empire, built on selling crates and keys to children who roll for the sake of in-game cosmetics, or the virtual stock market they've created while taking a nice healthy cut out of every "sale", and of course all the money from said sales can only be spent at their store.

Valve are scum. I loved HL, HL2 was pretty good, but ever since Portal 2 they've been getting worse and worse.

Would Epic be worse if they were the sole option on the market? Absolutely. But a Steam without competition is just a festering turd.

Unreal engine 4 is better than anything Valve have put out in 5 years or so, though. You can't coast on past success forever.

Epic at least has Unreal Engine 4, which next to Unity has been a godsend for gaming, especially VR.
Valve has what... three screenshots of Source 2? Some ties to Boneworks which uses Unity? Valve contributed to video games becoming shit with their microtransactions, it's best if they don't make anymore and fuck off to do something else.

Valve is without a doubt the most cancerous vidya company to ever exist in the history of mankind. Anyone who disagrees are delusional at fucking best.

Consolefags are fucking retarded.

The same with braindead Epicdrones. Any company that hijacks projects to screw over consumers need to be gassed. Bugmen are fucking cancer.

>Also find me a single game that demands a 2k pc to play, I'll wait.
Anything on VR if you up super-sampling.
>Having money doesn't mean you have to use it like a retard
Hey, you came up with the idea of buying three consoles, not me.
>Even your autistic obsession to have 3x more power on your computer is still a better money sink than a fucking 1k pricetag VR set.
Jesus, then don't get a fucking Index, get a Rift-S or something. Index is overpriced but it is far away from being the only VR headset. Did I strike a nerve or something?

As a genuine Valve fan, I believe I speak on behalf of true Valve fans when I say that I will never forgive Valve until I personally get to see Gaben's head on a pike.

At least Epic makes video games and created the Unreal Engine. Valve has contributed nothing of worth to gaming.

oh yeah?
well what about steam 18 years ago, it wasn't that liked back then as some anonymous guy claimed earlier etc etcetera
check mate pcbrains

Emphasis on "trying". They fuck up and abandon everything, but I don't understand why would you even want them near games now.
Valve now
steamcharts.com/app/583950
Valve then
steamcharts.com/app/220
It's too late.

lol
I hope you get killed in a horrific car accident along with your entire worthless family of retards for being so stupid you actually have the nerve to post dumb shit like this

Typical VaIvedrone has no argument and retorts to autistic ad hominems.

That would be Facebook.

another worthless contribution by yours truly to this shit thread
get a job or something

They absolutely have the money to make things that don't suck, though. The problem is that they'd rather spend all their money on figuring out new ways to make a few bucks out of kids.

>Facebook is a vidya company
The absolute fucking state of pcdrones.

they own Occulus check mate suck my dick

While Valve was one of the first companies to sell loot crates, their lootboxes are bit less essential go to their games than EA's or certain other developers. Even with underage gambling front they seem to be the lesser evil in the video game industry.

The linux effort might turn out everywhere else where there are unix derived operating systems. Shit like phones, smart-tv's, your cars infotainment system, gaming consoles and so on.

>At least Epic makes video games
No, they do not. They simply BUY-UP game titles after the work is done. They are no better than some rich fucking chink fancying to becoming a videogame publisher. They are far from that you child.

>Epicdrone bugmen
not even once

Attached: 1386730906437.gif (500x306, 576K)

They dont need to make good products anymore, their drones will accept anything.

Retarded mongoloid paying 1000$ for a gimmick getting scammed is purely survival of the fittest at work.

Yeah, no denying that. That's why I gave up on them. I gave them the benefit of doubt, because I was always hyped about VR and they seemed to be into it recently, but Index is trash and SteamVR is a fucking joke and they still haven't even hinted at porting their games Payday 2/Serious Sam-style.
If they made Garry's Mod VR a reality we wouldn't be stuck playing shitty Pavlov for 3 years.

Thanks for the details. It is an interesting concept, but I would personally be really hesitant to put anything into my brain even if it is just a series of tiny holes. People say early adopters waste money, but imagine having to replace hardware on your brain if it stops working or needs to be updated.

I wish cancer upon Gabe Newell. May he suffer painfully for insulting Half-Life fans.

>Hey, you came up with the idea of buying three consoles, not me.
Again, it was a fucking price comparison, jesus fucking christ
I could've typed "a hundred ten dollar dildos, that doesn't mean it's things I'd rather buy, but what you can get with a "month's wage"
>Did I strike a nerve or something?
apparently I did since you try to justify your purchase so vehemently.
All I'm saying is that buying a fucking prototype headset is retarded unless you're a "rich fag" - and in which case it's still retarded because that's still you being ripped off, but atleast you won't feel it's weight in your wallet.
My point is that even valve themselves said it's pretty much targeted for VR enthusiasts only, because normal customers aren't generally retarded enough to pay such exorbitant prices for relatively untested & unproven technology.
Then you get threads like this, pointing out MASSIVE flaws / oversights

There's a lot of problems, in particular those related to all implants.
It's not ready, not even for early adopters. So I wouldn't worry about it, I'm guessing some transcranial more advanced models will make it to market first anyway, and they might even be worth the trouble.

>their lootboxes are bit less essential go to their games than EA's or certain other developers.
I'd say you're wrong, other devs don't let you put an actual dollar value on the items you get from the crates. They're worth whatever you're willing to spend on them.

With Valve's shit, everything you get has a monetary value, and you can see it from you inventory screen. I think that promotes true gambling, attempting to "win" so you can make back the money you wasted on keys and crates.

>Literally the only money they have is from rent controlling other peoples games like a corrupt landlord, and that's gonna end soon.
And exactly how is that going to end? With the Epic Game store? Trying to replace steam at this point is like trying to replace Google

GMod isn't Valve, but yeah, it really wouldn't be much effort to give us CS:GO or something in VR so we didn't have to resort to a garbage clone.

The vast majority of the gaming industry is already united against Steam in the same way the common man is united against evil. Steam's death is imminent, and soon Gaben will be thrown off the nearest tower as karmic punishment for everything he's done against us.

>apparently I did since you try to justify your purchase so vehemently.
I only have an Vive I bought after a price dip though. I'm not buying an Index anytime soon either, because of its flaws. It's a rip-off, but if you want a real rip-off, check out Vive Pro or Vive Pro Eye. Valve at least managed to put the entire ecosystem in 1000$ mark. HTC sold only headsets for more than that.

I mean Valve has the benefit of not being publicly humiliated over their failures on social media and people hardly hear about their legal issues unless it was Jim sterling bring attention (and now he’s moved on from just talking about Steam and shitting on other Triple A publishers like EA and Epic Games)

Meanwhile Bethesda who could not even put out the original DOOM games without inserting ALWAYS ONLINE bullshit and being the biggest laughingstock of the week. These fuckers can’t even catch a break

They probably realize they can't make games like CS:GO without smooth locomotion and they would rather double down on the teleportation thing.
Their flagship title, if it ever comes out will be some SteamVR Home/The Lab 2 bullshit, mark my words.

>Vive Pro Eye
At least this potentially offers something new. Index has nothing going on.

I'm not upgrading again until at least 3rd gen. Index is 1.5, tops, when we've got foveated rendering and 10k displays, then I'll consider buying in.

That would require hiring people. Honestly, i belive the only reason valve is not doing games anymore is because they really like "company with the highest profit in the world per employee" badge

Nobody cares, normalfags will kill eachother for Doom Eternal/Next The Elder Scrolls

Whole Index package feels extremely experimental, like it's a dev build

It is player to player market. That has been fucked over by people seeking to profit from virtual goods. You can get in-game item x from market at some price, or you can roll a dice at cost of the key.

People "investing" in that shit are insane. I have spent maybe few dollars over the years for digital vanity items like having kill and destruction counters on few TF2 weapons and digital hats. Less than € per item.

In my opinion EA locking advancement in micro transactions with that Star Wars game a while ago was far more fucked up. FIFA and other sports games are even more fucked up.

People who play those games are mentally ill in the first place.

Valve aren't losing out at all from people trying to profit from the market. That's exactly what they want. I mean, it's absolutely insane to me that you've ever spent real money on vanity items in a fucking FPS. If it wasn't for the market giving you a false sense of "oh, this is cheap, lots of people accept this price", I don't know if you would've been so eager to buy garbage.

It's probably time people started admitting that it's a bit too early for VR
I'll check back in 5-10 years once the technology is at a stage where you're not wearing a giant brick on your face, and cordless headsets are a thing

You must be like 16. Please leave this board.

It's clearly marketed at kids.

It was objectively a flop, regardless if the game was good or not.

More like VR shouldn't exist because it gets in the way of real video games.

I wish canada had guns and not just for niggers

The Porn industry will carry VR like it brought commerce to the internet.

Why not let them be two separate things?
VR might be a gimmick but it's a fun, immersive gimmick.
It's perfect for stuff like beatsaber, VRchat and porn

Linux support and proton stuff. Something that no other dev has even mentioned.

Nice blog wrong board

the only reason why epic attacks steam is because steam is a PRIVATE COMPANY. epic's rich, 40+% backers are so mad at the fact that they can't get any ownership of steam -- so they use epic, make a launcher to "rival" steam, in order to try to give steam "competition" and "force" steam into a corner, thus, "forcing" them to get desperate and open the gates as a publicly traded company

these were exactly their plans. personally, it might have worked if the ones calling the shots weren't chinese. it seems, through seeing epic, that the chinese (tencent) have almost no idea on how to handle/please a western market

Attached: 1547197327846.jpg (528x528, 28K)

VR in its current state is totally fine. The games that work, really work.

The problem is that the market can no longer support the style of game VR is made for, which is arcade stuff. I don't want to play a 20 hour story game in VR, EVER. What I want is something I can boot up for an hour every day, and have fun shooting dudes in.

But by far the biggest issue is just the lack of any fucking game support. The few games that feel like competent tech demos are great. The other 99% of indie shovelware? Not so much.

time to bust out the bad boy yet again

Attached: VR meme.jpg (1620x599, 400K)

VR porn requires massive file sizes in a world where streaming is the normalfag method, and it requires you effectively closing yourself off to the world. I only feel comfortable fapping in VR when I know there's nobody around me in real life.

It's also fairly uncomfortable, both in terms of how you have to move your head to view scenes, and the sweaty nature of the headsets themselves.

I think it's the same as 3D porn, an experimental thing that'll won't really take off for a long time. Maybe when everyone is walking around with AR glasses.

Are tencent doing VR?

Given that private companies are inherently cancerous, Valve would be better off as a publicly traded company for the industry's sake.

How is VR and m+kb? I don't want to jump around like an idiot but I want to look around, but it seems like all that's being developed for VR headsets is this eye-toy bullshit.

>People who play those games are mentally ill in the first place.
Nothing wrong in playing the game. Not even CS:GO. I haven't played CS since it ceased to be a HL mod, but TF2 is still pretty decent FPS.
>it's absolutely insane to me that you've ever spent real money on vanity items in a fucking FPS.
Silly hat without either spending a lot of money on fucking lootbox keys or time crafting it out of regular drop items.
>I don't know if you would've been so eager to buy garbage.
To stroke my ego. I know I have few thousand frags with weapons I use on my main class. It's literally a 30 cents or so to another player that can use most of it to whatever he wants to use it for and couple cents to valve.

What I think is insane is people spending more than pocket change for a fucking virtual hat or skin for a weapon. Like 40€/$/£ for a virtual that with odd particle effect. Amounts that could buy something meaningful like a full game for example. That is why the valve's fuck up with lootboxes last week was so funny. There are still people either laughing at tradefags or seething trade fags on servers.

valve can live off just milking dota2 lmao.
now add csgo and tf2 to the mix.
add all the micro and macro market sales cut and the marketing money that go in their pockets.
they legit can afford to fuck around because they are kinda free,not like other companies,take for example EA,they make shitton of money but that cash goes into corporate boomers and marketing campaigns instead of R and D.

Attached: 1546045673353.png (496x381, 154K)

Haha no.

Attached: eh.......jpg (533x543, 39K)

I have a Valve controller. It sucks ass. I later bought an Xbox one and a wireless adapter, I've never had an issue with it.

>Nothing wrong in playing the game.
I'm talking about EA shit here. I don't care if you play Valve shit.
>Silly hat without either spending a lot of money
The idea that you think the hat has some kind of perceived real world value is what's insane to me.

Even spending "pocket change" on this shit makes you a fucking retard. You could buy something meaningful with the few dollars you've wasted on hats over the years, like a burger or something.

do people even give a shit about VALVE anymore? steam is just where all the games are. i don't care if VALVE's projects fail like they have been failing

You're simply ignorant, and idiotic in not simply accepting your ignorance. 'jumping around like an idiot' (standing/room-scale) and 'eye-toy bullshit' (tracked hands) are what is good in VR - what VR is all about. VR is, primarily, the final deliverance of the long promised potential of motion controls.

kek fucking this. people try to be too cool

Epic shills new strategy- they realized they can't win debate over stores, so they just throw shit at other steam product.

Yeah I understand what you mean. But what about my question?

Killed of TF2 trading to force everyone to move to CS:GO skins to boost the e-sports following

Gayben should kill himself

That#s the point and a reason why VALVE is shitting itself when it tries to go beyond Steam. Just like its owner, the company is fat, lazy and devoid of interesting ideas. They couldn't even be bothered to finish their own flagship series (muh innovation), so why should people care about some 3rd rate accessory garbage that's not even working well?

>Honestly, Steam drones, has Valve made anything successful in the past few years?
a digital store that isn't absolute shit without even a shopping cart.
also proton, steam workshop, etc..

>steam so big it can afford to fail many times
Yo shills. You wish the people paying you were this big.

>I'm talking about EA shit here. I don't care if you play Valve shit.
I don't play EA games, haven't played since BFBC2. MW2/BF3 is when I basically gave up on AAA-FPS's. Oh the irony that EA actually gave players shit like dedicated servers just because Activision forced shit like match making.
>The idea that you think the hat has some kind of perceived real world value is what's insane to me.
Those doesn't have any meaningful value outside of the game. None of the in game items have. Strange weapons with kill and other counters might have some value in tracking stats in game.
>You could buy something meaningful with the few dollars you've wasted on hats over the years, like a burger or something.
Maybe a burger or six pack of beer, but that is on span of several years. TF2 for me is a game I always come back to as long as it stays alive. Play it for few hours or maybe 20 on span of few weeks every year or two. I'm not a whale that spends excessively on it. My contribution to excessive spending is most likely recovering some of the lost money by whales or former players.
Some people might see VR headset as full field of view monitor with limited motion controls for looking around by looking around. People like simulator pilots. Sit on a seat, stick and throttle at hands with pedals for rudder. Only thing missing being acceleration.

>imagine being this delusional.
Is that why people destroy tim in every single tweet he makes? Every epic shill thread here ends with 1000 to 1 ratio of people shitting on epic? Epic games failing one after a other? Kek. Epic is a joke, and tim will soon die of cancer (screencap this and post in 5 years)

Valve are no longer game developers. They're investors looking for the next huge thing. They could have made a sequel to any of their properties and made huge profits but they're not interested in that. They're looking for the billion dollar profit scheme.

SO is Epic, but they can't FUCKING LEL

Literally everyone was disappointed as soon as Artifact was revealed
youtu.be/R0qZTS38cjw

idk man. i think they just stopped caring. they have made masterpieces, but it seems like something happened to that...

honestly lol, i dont want to have to fix anything after paying that much money, jesus

I’m really scared. Steam and Valve aren’t going to get better and they’re so big, they may never be encouraged to change. Epic Games keeping chipping and chipping away with exclusivities deals. Every other triple A publisher joins in on the action just carving away at the market to the point where the customers and even the smaller devs/indie devs

It just feels like now more than ever in the history of video games, we should be doing something but just can’t or don’t know what to do. All anyone talks about is just keep pirating and what has that gotten us?

>>Introduced the same concepts that destroyed gaming today
such as?

Imagine having literal decades to learn how to make a decent storefront, yet you decided to launch without a fucking shopping cart.

If steam is trash, Epic is a garbage dump that Sweeney is selling as an amusement park ride to saps like you.

What video games does Epic even make nowadays? It's all season passes and updates for Fortnite.

>You can't coast on past success forever.
>He says, when Epic has been riding on UE4's dick for decades at this point.

It doesn't matter how trash the company and its products are, they still make billions off microtransactions and sale cuts. Just like Blizzard, despite not making anything worth playing in over a decade, they will never die.

>Valve has contributed nothing of worth to gaming.
Except for linux support and a platform that was so good that it actually caused people to stop pirating games for a time.

If Epic was actually doing well, why is it that you never see solid sales figures from anyone who claims that their game did well on EGS exclusivity?

Oh but I get it, games like Metro Exodus and Outer Wilds going onto Microsoft's platform months after announcing EGS exclusivity is just a coincidence.

>All anyone talks about is just keep pirating and what has that gotten us?
Free games, the fuck are you on about?

If the industry died tomorrow, it'd just kill off the roaches that caused the problem in the first place, so all I have to say is, bring on the crash baby.

Steam

So nothing, gotcha.